DOA5LR Top Players are Returning to Dead or Alive 5: Last Round

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Well... something must’ve happened between those 2 games
Koei Tecmo.

And in DOA6 he went to the Producer role - which is mostly about project management and budgeting instead of the Directorial role which he held in DOA5 that deals more with the game design and mechanics. DOA6's director role was taken up by his kouhai who started working more closely as that role in DOA5LR and is still the current director of DOA6.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
And in DOA6 he went to the Producer role - which is mostly about project management and budgeting instead of the Directorial role which he held in DOA5 that deals more with the game design and mechanics. DOA6's director role was taken up by his kouhai who started working more closely as that role in DOA5LR and is still the current director of DOA6.
My bad, then I really dislike the director of 6.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
You're not the only one. The Japanese players I've talked to are even in agreement that they don't have much faith at all in him.
I mean he completely ruined 6. The game actually looked promising at the announcement trailer but now I wish it was released next year

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
A few years back Tom Lee said that most DOA players change from each game, but I didn't know he meant it could get to this.

Bogetsu

This thread is so true. I played DOA5LR for a couple of hours yesterday, just for curiousity. I am glad that there were a couple of open lobbies with pretty decent/good skilled players.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
BB could straight up be a win button that ends the round instantly and it would still not qualify as a comeback mechanic, quite the opposite, because of HOW it is built.

In Rising Thunder you can pick your type of meter before the match and it is the perfect representation of the two concepts:
Kinetic Deflect fills up by taking damage. Comeback mechanic, loser gets rewarded for losing.
Kinetic Advance fills up by inflicting damage. Slippery slope, winner gets rewarded even more for winning.

I'm not arguing against BB and BH being "bad for competition", "disruptive", or a "crutch". I'm just being nitpicky and saying it's technically not a damn comeback mechanic.

If you are at extreme frame disadvantage, and you use something that undermines the majority of offensive options your opponent has to use in that situation, furthermore blowing them up for a huge portion of life, that is very much a comeback mechanic. You were getting fucked, and you used something that disregarded the notion. If you were already attacking, you wouldn't need to use it -- it doesn't increase your odds of landing the attack if you're already at advantage. Ergo its a comeback mechanic, and a highly fraudulent one. Both characters have enough time to build it regardless of who is on offense. Meter generation is irrelevant.

Using it like a stun extension is another story. I don't have any particular issue with that aspect of it. The sabaki is what makes it stupid.

WAZAAAAA

If you are at extreme frame disadvantage, and you use something that undermines the majority of offensive options your opponent has to use in that situation, furthermore blowing them up for a huge portion of life, that is very much a comeback mechanic. You were getting fucked, and you used something that disregarded the notion. If you were already attacking, you wouldn't need to use it -- it doesn't increase your odds of landing the attack if you're already at advantage. Ergo its a comeback mechanic, and a highly fraudulent one. Both characters have enough time to build it regardless of who is on offense. Meter generation is irrelevant.

Using it like a stun extension is another story. I don't have any particular issue with that aspect of it. The sabaki is what makes it stupid.
*defensive mechanic
I'm just gonna let someone else explain it for me I guess and quote a comment by novriltataki lol
Saying "comeback mechanics" are "tools that enable you to make comebacks" is just silly because you can technically make comebacks with EVERYTHING. C.mk's, throws, fireballs, blocking, yomi, pressing buttons, breathing etc. thus rendering the term "comeback mechanic" meaningless. So my definition is better. (Tools you gain access to by losing more than by winning)

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
*defensive mechanic
I'm just gonna let someone else explain it for me I guess and quote a comment by novriltataki lol

Defensive mechanics don't generally punch people in the face, grant frame advantage on GUARD, or scare people into inaction.

If we want to dance around semantics all day we can, but the reality is you're using that as a distraction from the fact BB and BH disrupt the system too heavily to be favored by anyone with a competitive mindset.

Exhibit A --The playerbase.... which does not exist.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD