DOA6 Version 1.05 Released to Mixed Reactions

Version 1.05 Report

Team NINJA's latest patch for Dead or Alive 6 is a questionable one that fixes some minuscule annoyances, but also manages to create new problems while major glitches and bugs continue to exist in their current fighting system. Changes to the Side Attack (SA) and gauge meter are the most controversial adjustments, and will be the main focal point of this news post. Though it's worth mentioning that a low number of negligible character balance changes continue within this patch and you can peruse the patch notes via Team NINJA's official website.

The gauge meter now changes to purple once 100% filled, and is now divided up into four separate blocks. Each block is worth 50 gauge points, and is the new cost of inputting an SA. Because of this, you can no longer freely combine the SA to hit environments or furniture after a bound and combo it further into a Break Blow. This can be interpreted as a nerf to the Break Hold and Break Blow more than the desired SA due to how fast the meter can build 50 points.

You can view a plethora of opinions in the forum, the official DOA6 Twitter or in the Competitive Facebook Group, but the community response to the 1.05 update has not been well received:

Making SSA cost meter doesn't nerf it. All that does is nerf break holds and blows. You will always have enough meter to SSA. That was very short sighted design. - @Rikuto

Making side steps take meter, while extending said meter, while also making the meter gain faster on both offense and defense is.... interesting. They just confused the ever living fuck out of themselves and everybody else. Nice purple color though! Yummy slurpee. Purple crutch slurpee. Woo!

Why, in a 3D fighting game, does it cost more meter to side step, than it does to literally get out of every bad situation possible? (Talking about the crutch hold... and the crutch hold with super.) I mean, Soul Calibur 6 wasn't my favorite game but to side step there I just hold up or down? - @lopedo

Should have stayed how it was. A change THIS drastic should have been introduced in a Season 2 or something. Game is only two months old and they’re changing the entire game with this update.

Sidesteps were literally getting blown up by this time in the game. Unsafe on block, can grab them literally as the attacks are coming out, and if timed right, fatal rush literally FUCKS your opponent. And the user actually got less than 10% for landing a sidestep attack successfully. This change was just not needed in my opinion.

People will actually have to use their meter more strategically now. Players that were using break hold randomly at neutral or spamming the sidestep before now actually need think about every single thing they do at neutral. Meter management is now a thing. - @EmeryReigns

It's puzzling that Team NINJA would make a decision like this weeks before their biggest tournament yet, Community Effort Orlando, where fighters should be able to showcase their growth since release instead of stressing over character nerfs and system changes. BAM will be the first offline tournament to demonstrate 1.05 this weekend, and it will be interesting to compare it to the brilliant KVOxTSB tournament that ran on 1.04 earlier this month without a hitch.

Team NINJA has yet to fix the known character and stage glitches in the game, update the ground game as Shimbori said they would in a post-public beta interview, or fix the DOA4 ground glitch that Matt Ponton alerted everyone to two weeks before version 1.04. There are clearly and emphatically other things with the system that need attention before addressing mechanics connected to the meter, and that did not happen with 1.05.

Last edited:
I feel that making the attack in the SSA being throwable is a bit much. Right now there are characters that absolutely excel in destroying the SS game and making the strikes throwable is too much with the addition of a meter cost. They were already highly unsafe, now cost meter upon use, beaten by tracking moves, and now are beaten by throws. That's just too many weaknesses for a relatively decent get out button.

Edit: Found a Buff. Mila's Tackles no longer have Squatting Status (except her regular 66T). She gains that only at the end of her Tackle and Tackle Feints and Regular Feints. I was very confused why people were missing standing throws against me, just tested.

Last edited:
Japan likes it, we dont have a choice now

I know they do, but I’m still gonna let TN know on Twitter every chance I get as to how I know feel about playing a 2D fighting game. I don’t care if it’s a losing battle, because I thought the game was already heading in a great direction with the changes they made to the SSA in 1.04 and then they just fumbled the whole thing up.

I've played several matches; I understand all the outrage but tbh it's really not that bad. Team Ninja really needs to find a solution however to sidestepping in a 3D game. Reduce the recovery on raw sidestepping and delete retracking from the game. Add more safe tracking options so neutral can be the emphasis. The whole reason why SSA exists because of retracking strings, if they deal with that I think it would improve the game.

By all things Hi Counter, this is an awful front page post. Seriously bad. Worse than Eurogamer's DOA6 review. The worst front page post I've read on FSD.

1. Patch 1.05 added several things that will have long-term positive impact on DOA6. Namely
  • MULTIFIGHT LOBBIES
  • chat in lobbies
  • fight screen info in replays
  • vol.2 of pirate costumes (yes, more costumes are better)
None of them is mentioned in OP. @deathofaninja , why?

2. lopedo's quote is full of "purple crutch slurpee" bullshit.
  • Side step DOES NOT require meter.
  • Side step attack DO require 50 meter.
  • Full break gauge is still 200 meter; it just split in 4 quarters, rather than 2 halves.
  • Break Hold still needs 100, Break Blow still needs 200.
  • Meter is gained at the same old rate.
@deathofaninja , why you quoted this misleading pile of crap?

3. In OP BAM was juxtaposed with KVOxTSB. But it was not mentioned that BAM tournament is held in Melbourne, Australia and KVOxTSB in Osaka, Japan. Melbourne and Osaka have very different local DOA scenes. You can not compare patches by comparing BAM to KVOxTSB.
@deathofaninja , why you failed to mention that BAM is held in Australia and KVOxTSB - in Japan?

4. IMO EmeryReigns explained why this SSA change was prioritized over pile of glitches.
People will actually have to use their meter more strategically now. Players that were using break hold randomly at neutral or spamming the sidestep before now actually need think about every single thing they do at neutral. Meter management is now a thing. - @EmeryReigns
Yeah, apparently TN wanted DOA players to pay attention to their resources and actions, to learn their tools, rather than use SSA to get out of every sticky situation in neutral. IMO this is more important than stage glitches. Wake-ups should be fixed ASAP though.
@deathofaninja , why you quoted post without actually reading it?

5. To sum it up. This is not a news post about a patch written by member of news team. This is rant written by not very smart person in his/her blog.
@deathofaninja , is FSD's front page you personal blog?

By all things Hi Counter, this is an awful front page post. Seriously bad. Worse than Eurogamer's DOA6 review. The worst front page post I've read on FSD.

1. Patch 1.05 added several things that will have long-term positive impact on DOA6. Namely
  • MULTIFIGHT LOBBIES
  • chat in lobbies

• Full break gauge is still 200 meter; it just split in 4 quarters, rather than 2 halves.

3. In OP BAM was juxtaposed with KVOxTSB. But it was not mentioned that BAM tournament is held in Melbourne, Australia and KVOxTSB in Osaka, Japan. Melbourne and Osaka have very different local DOA scenes. You can not compare patches by comparing BAM to KVOxTSB.
@deathofaninja , why you failed to mention that BAM is held in Australia and KVOxTSB - in Japan?

4. IMO EmeryReigns explained why this SSA change was prioritized over pile of glitches.
Yeah, apparently TN wanted DOA players to pay attention to their resources and actions, to learn their tools, rather than use SSA to get out of every sticky situation in neutral. IMO this is more important than stage glitches. Wake-ups should be fixed ASAP though.

5. To sum it up. This is not a news post about a patch written by member of news team. This is rant written by not very smart person in his/her blog.

He's highlighting a massive meta change that a good chunk of top players absolutely hate. Making that known on the front page of FSD is a good thing. TN needs to know that most of us fucking hate this. They could have done a million other things for meter management, but no they catered to the trash and put SSA on the meter because scrubs couldn't figure out how to deal with it.

• MULTIFIGHT LOBBIES
  • chat in lobbies

Seems like you are obsessed with me... And I like that about you!

It's a critical story and needed to be. I'm not sure why you brought up the two tournaments as they were not individual writeups but examples on where things are with the god damn game.

We have positive text based write-ups for almost every offline tournament, we praised DOA6 all through development and cataloged the entire offline history of DOA5 positively.

I don't think I need to take advice from you, and if someone says I'm bashing Team NINJA read my six years of work here and educate yourself before entertaining that bizarre idea.

And why in the fuck would I mention the pirate outfits? That should be the least of everyone's concerns. This story was more about the wrong sadly, and I am not an advertising mouth piece for Team NINJA -- but Master is so it's strongly recommended that you look into him!

Last edited:
He's highlighting a massive meta change that a good chunk of top players absolutely hate. Making that known on the front page of FSD is a good thing. TN needs to know that most of us fucking hate this. They could have done a million other things for meter management, but no they catered to the trash and put SSA on the meter because scrubs couldn't figure out how to deal with it.
He also talks about glitches. Do you think talking about glitches helps to highlight reaction to meta change? I think no, it does not. @deathofaninja wrote post that reads literally like "DOA6 has problems and TN just adds more of them". Is this correct characteristic of 1.05 patch? - Hell, no. And I'm asking why only post about patch 1.05 you can find on FSD's front page is written with obvious prejudice against it.

From quotes provided in OP TN learned that 1/3 of DOA players completely misunderstood change to SSA, other 1/3 have a vague idea about it's implications and only 1/3 figured what's up. Not a pretty picture of community IMO. And OP spreads misunderstandings rather than cortecting it. This is a great disservice to DOA community.

By now everyone except you figured those magic attacks wtih "Tracking" property. This SSA change hurts those who relied on SSA being FREE. Whose gameplan revolved around mashing SSA on every opportunity. Does it describe "top player"? - Don't think so. TN just said "enough with this simplistic bullshit, DOA gives you better tools in many situations - use them,". Players oppose this change because they perceive it as too drastic. Again - read EmeryReigns.

Indeed I think I was one of the first few that stated the change was unnecessary and ruined the game, but after playing the game, tbh much hasn't changed. You just have to be more self aware of meter control and open minded. Meter still builds fast enough so that you'll always have enough for a SSA imo, but if you're always using your resources for that you won't have it for other critical things suchas break holds and break blows. Maybe TN will change it, maybe they won't. At this point it is what it is; adapt or play something that suits you.

Seems like you are obsessed with me... And I like that about you!

It's a critical story and needed to be. I'm not sure why you brought up the two tournaments as they were not individual writeups but examples on where things are with the god damn game.

We have positive text based write-ups for almost every offline tournament, we praised DOA6 all through development and cataloged the entire offline history of DOA5 positively.

I don't think I need to take advice from you, and if someone says I'm bashing Team NINJA read my six years of work here and educate yourself before entertaining that bizarre idea.

And why in the fuck would I mention the pirate outfits? That should be the least of everyone's concerns. This story was more about the wrong sadly, and I am not an advertising mouth piece for Team NINJA -- but Master is so it's strongly recommended that you look into him!
You misunderstood yet another post.
It was you who brought those tournaments in one paragraph and I asked you why you juxtaposed and talked about comparing them. Apparently, you don't know yourself.
I did not give you any advices. I asked you questions that you failed to answer.

You could write this OP as story about dynamic wntity where happens a lot of different things - patch 1.05 gives plenty of material. You wrote story about widely misunderstood change that you posed as wrong.

An important thing to note here is that the article isn’t a patch notes write up. You can find the patch notes plenty of places. It’s about a large portion of the community and their reaction to the biggest change the patch brought with it.

Whether you like it or not, there are a lot of people talking about it and DOAN chose to speak to those points. It’s an opinion piece. And a lot of us agree with that angle.

I think some of the additions are net positives (DLC very much not counted among them). Doesn’t mean the rest of the changes are canceled out.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD