Weirdest Online Moments

Argentus

Things just keep on happening to me! Last I was fighting this guy I've fought a few times in the past that invites me to lobbies every now and then. He definitely seems sort of new to DOA and the skill level's not quite there. Each time we fight, I win pretty consistently with a few occasional losses. This time was no different, but a little bit later I got a message titled "nice work" from him saying:

"You still have some things to learn, but overall you did pretty good. Nice job!"

What the fuck? Kid, if you're on this site and you're reading this, I am going to rip you a new one next time we fight so help me god.

Sounds like he's just not taking you seriously during matches. More watching how you play instead of actually playing you.

Argentus

Hi-Counter ground throws.
Just because I have absolutely no idea how the hell I managed to pull one off (I was so confused as to why it was Hi-Counter I didn't even do any followups).

Oh, and also:

Person: "Stop grabbing me! DON'T PICK LEON! STOP GRABBING!"
Me: *Picks Bass*
Person: "What the hell? Stop grabbing me!"
Me: *Picks Mila*
Person: "Stop tackling me!"
Me: "Telling me to not do those things is like me telling you to stop striking with Kasumi."
*Person leaves*

I get that constantly. Originally I actually explained that im not spamming tackle with Mila, its that like 2/3 of her moveset just ends with that, from strings to counters to grabs. Now I don't bother explaining anymore.

Same with Leon. Dude. Grappler. Shuddahellup. Even though I mostly use power attacks over grapples.

I remember people saying I grabbed too much in street fighter. As Alex. The wrestler. Not even just power bomb, all of his grapples get used.

It's not like a Ryu running up and spamming izuna. It'd be like if almost every move he has ends with izuna.

Chapstick

Sounds like he's just not taking you seriously during matches. More watching how you play instead of actually playing you.
I've seen him fight other people and he plays at the same level.

I'm pretty sure it would have been hatemail if we weren't on each other's friend lists. In that hatemail's place, I got a 'very good! A for effort, here's a gold sticker!' passive aggressive message.

Nameless Sama

One of my weirdest Online Moment was that I couldnt join lobbies with 1 - 5 bars ! I restarted the console and started the game again but the problem was the same. I made it 10 - 15 times but it didnt work. The Lobbies wast full , the complete opposite. I couldnt create my own lobby lol. That was so strange.....

Yaguar

I don't think I can top Rachel stomping on people but I've got a couple of DOA based ones (the full weird ones aren't from DOA so I'll keep those for a more general thread).

Going into lobby, winning a few, being kicked, invited back and then before my next match kicked. That is more of a pure nuisance than weird.

I know ranks don't matter but there is a U Rank whom I've consistently beat, so I'd at least expect them to be somewhat knowledgable about the game. One day I get a message along the lines of:
"You spam too much. I won't be playing you again."
The use of post-tech and pseudo-force tech pressure kept them completely locked out and constituted as spam, as did using frame traps on their block and catching them out every time. Fun thing is my follow up was always the same so they could have stopped it with a counter.

The ultimate DOA one for me is from DOA4. I made a group of friends online, played with them for about a month near daily and we used to chat over mics and have a laugh. Around that time I decided I wanted to improve and not just mash out and spam counters.
So at first I started learning combo's and sticking more towards 1 character to learn them. I started getting some backlash but our little group still stayed fairly close and nothing really came of that, people just wanted to start having me as a tag partner more often than others.
I started learning strong defence. My blocking sky rocketed as my did my string recognition and I broke free of being a complete scrub to being a noob, willing to accept learn, yadda yadda.
This was the turning point. A few little out bursts turned into me being "cheap" for blocking and countering correctly. Eventually it all exploded, the group of people by this point I'd been playing with solidly for weeks turned into a hate group against me. I got angry messages and booted from lobbies we played in because I'd win 99%.

I never spoke to any of them again bar 1 girl who wanted some help improving and I offered what minimal advice I could at the time. Not sure what came of her within the group as all I did was an advice dump and move on, made new friends, some of which I still have years later.
I got a huge out look change from this odd experience and a willingness to help others. I may not be the best but I can generally point new players in the right direction and will happily offer my time to sitting with them over a weekend of even a few to help them improve. Kind of an online support group for people who want to improve without the scrub hate that I was subject to.

P1naatt1ke1tt0

I play a defensive spacing style with emphasis on midrange whiff punishing to open people up. I space out from grounded opponents more than 50% of the time also to avoid the wakeup guessing game. Not always though. I'm willing to back away and wait for an opening very patiently.

Just today some person (hope you're reading this) complained that "all you do is back away, back away", and said that I make the matches boring as they last longer, and that I'm shit. He lost to me, of course. I've heard similar complaints before.

Do you guys get these kinds of reactions? Do you agree, that turtlers are boring to fight? I think it's fun, patiently waiting and feigning attacks, and some of my best experiences have been against other turtlers.

Zeo

I beat a guy with Ein. No message. Beat that same guy with Akira a few minutes later and I get sent a message telling me to "Play a DOA character and stop abusing the mechanics of the VF characters."

Funnily enough, no guard breaks or real frame traps were used that entire match, I just stun gamed him to death.

Brute

Standard Donor
I beat a guy with Ein. No message. Beat that same guy with Akira a few minutes later and I get sent a message telling me to "Play a DOA character and stop abusing the mechanics of the VF characters."

Funnily enough, no guard breaks or real frame traps were used that entire match, I just stun gamed him to death.
Did you use 2P? :p

Drake Aldan

Do you agree, that turtlers are boring to fight?
Yup.

Not only are they boring to fight, they're annoying, when they suddenly decide to start backwalking or backdash cancel away, and you end up whiffing like a dork and getting punished.

So, you should feel bad, and you need to get better at the game. Maybe if you were aggressive and fought like a real man you would lose like one.

Chapstick

Yup.

Not only are they boring to fight, they're annoying, when they suddenly decide to start backwalking or backdash cancel away, and you end up whiffing like a dork and getting punished.

So, you should feel bad, and you need to get better at the game. Maybe if you were aggressive and fought like a real man you would lose like one.
Jeez Drake

(Trying not to double post) Another lobby moment: a lot of female gamers are out there fighting the "gamer gurl" stereotype and then you have people like this person that set the movement back 100 miles. I think their psn id was "girlgamer877377388" or something like that.

So they come in and they're like "omg! I'm no good at fighting games lol!" I noticed they kept switching to fight mode and going back to spectator when it was almost their turn. They say "omg you guys are sooo good!" The shit they were saying started getting weirder and weirder and then they're like "some of these girls are really hot! I guess I shouldn't say that though since I'm a girl! (;" and no one was giving them any attention so they just left out of no where.

Yue was there and I said "thank god" and he said something like "I don't think that was actually a girl" and I really don't either. Then he/she came back in a few minutes later and said "Hi! (:" and left again. IIRC they actually did this a few more times.

Last edited:

Ghosty-J

After winning, I had someone tell me that I suck and that Akira has no place in DOA because he is too hard to use.
SNq07.gif

AkaShocka

Do you guys get these kinds of reactions? Do you agree, that turtlers are boring to fight? I think it's fun, patiently waiting and feigning attacks, and some of my best experiences have been against other turtlers.
Well, Turtlers are the most annoying shit in the world. Turtling and spacing are 2 different things man. I'm not coming at you wrong or anything, I'm just saying I hope you mean spacing because turtlers are annoying to fight. No one wants to fight a turtler at all. I'm tired of chasing them around. The other day I fought this Hitomi guy (Hitomi vs Tina) and he ket backing up and up. Sooooooo as Tina I just used her 66k, 6H+K, 66P+K (even though that the most unsafe thing in the world) to catch him. Now its the final round and I'm tired of chasing him, so I use her running :T: and just ended it. Moments later "Wow! Depended on a running grab to win, get some real skill. Can't believe I lost to such trash. Learn the game."

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD