Weirdest Online Moments

Yaguar

Do you guys get these kinds of reactions? Do you agree, that turtlers are boring to fight? I think it's fun, patiently waiting and feigning attacks, and some of my best experiences have been against other turtlers.

If you win, do it. Whatever it takes. Some characters just work with it.
I find the match ups quit tough often because I originally played as a turtler. Turtle vs. Turtle is a hell of a match trying to open up your opponent via raw patience.

Zeo

I play Ein, it's silly to fight characters like Kasumi, Christie, Leifang, etc up close if I can keep them at range. I used to actually try to play different to accommodate "friend's" complaints back in the day on other fighters. Little did I know I was just as much of a scrub as they were for actually listening. If what you're doing is working, keep doing it, period.

David Gregg

If what you're doing is working, keep doing it, period.
The meaning of life of my friend....you just found it. XD
mashed-potato-o.gif

Brute

Standard Donor
I play Ein, it's silly to fight characters like Kasumi, Christie, Leifang, etc up close if I can keep them at range. I used to actually try to play different to accommodate "friend's" complaints back in the day on other fighters. Little did I know I was just as much of a scrub as they were for actually listening. If what you're doing is working, keep doing it, period.
There is another element and that's "do what you enjoy most." For example, you wouldn't be playing Ein at all if, say, playing Hayate "kept working" better. Or you could just be a tier whore and pick whoever's "top tier" and get things working more. It just depends on what style of play suits you.

For me personally, turtling just isn't fun. The appeal of DOA for me largely lies in the fast, flashy combat potential, and turtling/keep out tend to be the same few moves used much more sparingly (usually not the cool-looking ones). The last thing I want is to hide back and stand around, waiting for someone else to make the first move. So for me, it's just boring. If that's your thing, go for it. But I will chase your ass down because I'll get a literal knockout of boredom hanging back all day.

On a competitive level, I also just like to stay in people's heads. Letting someone turtle gives them the chance to think and I don't want that. I want them sucked into a blitzrieg of never-ending hell from match-start. Even with characters who aren't expected to be rushdown characters. If anything, that unexpected angle just makes you more intimidating. So personally, it's not my thing. But to each their own.

Tenryuga

Footsies is the most fun part of any fighter for me. But people never want to play them with me. :( I'm not gonna lie though when there is like 5 seconds left on the clock and I have the life lead I'm backing up lol. Come try to deplete my life with 5 seconds left when I'm Ein of all people. :cool:

Argentus

Honestly, I love the bait and punish style. I love watching people try to rush me, trying to be all fancy and technical, only to get sent flying, them try to rush back in and get broken again. I love the fact that just being patient is enough to beat most people.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
For me personally, turtling just isn't fun. The appeal of DOA for me largely lies in the fast, flashy combat potential, and turtling/keep out tend to be the same few moves used much more sparingly (usually not the cool-looking ones). The last thing I want is to hide back and stand around, waiting for someone else to make the first move.

Oddly enough, Brute, this was a big part of playing Tengu in DOA4, especially the "waiting for someone else to make the first move" part. The dude sucked and was way too slow to apply good pressure on his own. One of the best things to do with Tengu, was to sit back and throw out F+K when you saw someone move to get that counter hit launch and followup with 8PP, divebomb. Staying at fullscreen distance, spamming 7P and waiting for a reaction could work at times too, but wasn't incredibly effective.

Punishment was also one of the few things that Tengu was able to do, which of course means you'd have to wait for them to make the first move, then fuck them up when they whiff or get blocked.

When it came to offense and all that jazz, all he really had was 2PP or P+K, for the most part. You had to be really creative with him.

Brute

Standard Donor
Let's be real, here: Tengu sucked at everything in DOA4. Whatever approach you want to take, someone else (typically everyone else) was doing it 100 times better. Thus, I never felt inclined to play turtle/keep-out when he wasn't all that great at it, either. It was a lose-lose scenario, so I applied as much pressure as I humanly could with him. Obviously that doesn't mean offense 100%. Like all slower characters, you've got to have to have guts, brain damage or severe mind games to go on the full offensive at match start. But I did what I could to make a lumbering, winged black-dude with a dick on his face seem intimidating.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Let's be real, here: Tengu sucked at everything in DOA4. Whatever approach you want to take, someone else (typically everyone else) was doing it 100 times better.

Sigh. Yeah, he did. It fucking sucked. Let's hope that's not the case again next year.

Darkton93

There was this one time where I was Ein, someone else was Hitomi, we kept punching each other simultaneously until I came out on top.

Blazeincarnated

Well, Turtlers are the most annoying shit in the world. Turtling and spacing are 2 different things man. I'm not coming at you wrong or anything, I'm just saying I hope you mean spacing because turtlers are annoying to fight. No one wants to fight a turtler at all. I'm tired of chasing them around. The other day I fought this Hitomi guy (Hitomi vs Tina) and he ket backing up and up. Sooooooo as Tina I just used her 66k, 6H+K, 66P+K (even though that the most unsafe thing in the world) to catch him. Now its the final round and I'm tired of chasing him, so I use her running :H+P: and just ended it. Moments later "Wow! Depended on a running grab to win, get some real skill. Can't believe I lost to such trash. Learn the game."
I'd kill him. LOL Real talk. Im joking but I would lmao
I beat a guy with Ein. No message. Beat that same guy with Akira a few minutes later and I get sent a message telling me to "Play a DOA character and stop abusing the mechanics of the VF characters."

Funnily enough, no guard breaks or real frame traps were used that entire match, I just stun gamed him to death.
I tell this to everyone who use them. (except Akira and sometimes Jacky) Because its actually true. LOL
There was this one time where I was Ein, someone else was Hitomi, we kept punching each other simultaneously until I came out on top.
The day when a fast striker out do my punch is the day you catch hell later. (Im talking to you Ayane, Kasumi, and Christie players)

Blazeincarnated

Ayane has a 10 frame jab, same as Zack. lol
She has more bs behind just that 10 frame jab. If I recall after the first jab the bitch goes into backturn stance. That's bullshit. Then on top of that you got this whore jumping everywhere. I hate to call her out like that but its true.

Zeo

There is another element and that's "do what you enjoy most." For example, you wouldn't be playing Ein at all if, say, playing Hayate "kept working" better. Or you could just be a tier whore and pick whoever's "top tier" and get things working more. It just depends on what style of play suits you.

For me personally, turtling just isn't fun. The appeal of DOA for me largely lies in the fast, flashy combat potential, and turtling/keep out tend to be the same few moves used much more sparingly (usually not the cool-looking ones). The last thing I want is to hide back and stand around, waiting for someone else to make the first move. So for me, it's just boring. If that's your thing, go for it. But I will chase your ass down because I'll get a literal knockout of boredom hanging back all day.

On a competitive level, I also just like to stay in people's heads. Letting someone turtle gives them the chance to think and I don't want that. I want them sucked into a blitzrieg of never-ending hell from match-start. Even with characters who aren't expected to be rushdown characters. If anything, that unexpected angle just makes you more intimidating. So personally, it's not my thing. But to each their own.

All my life I've been a player that always loved rushdown, a style that is lightning fast, constantly in your opponent's face and giving you a rush throughout the fight. I still enjoy that style but the fact of the matter is not all characters or even games cater to that style. As far as DOA goes, I ended up gravitating more towards characters who space and play fairly defensively.

Turtling and spacing are two different things, but people seem to confuse that. Turtling is constantly backing away from your opponent until they eventually approach you, then you attack, probably opening them up and frustrating them, then continuing to do the same thing. That's not what Ein does (or I do for that matter). Spacing is about keeping an opponent at a certain distance, watching their movements and planning/reacting accordingly. I dashed in so he did too, then I back dashed real quick out of his range and 236Ped him when he whiffed his move, but if I had just rushed in he would have punished me for it, that kind of thing.

Now, strictly speaking for Ein, I always played him upclose, I spaced with him against people who did the same to me, but I loved being in people's faces, and always was in 4. But the simple fact is TN took away the tools he needed in order to really compete with the greats up close and he simply can't handle close quarters with certain characters, he has to space and in some cases yes, turtle in order to come out on top. For me it's thrilling fighting against an opponent that knows and is aware of the spacing game, it makes the game nerve wracking in a different way, two players on edge, fishing for that opening. (My DOA5 Vanilla "Akira vs Ayane" videos in the media section are the perfect example).

Point is, you do what's necessary, weather that's relative to being fun is up to you. Spacing with Ein is fun, spacing with Akira is not, he's a character that needs to be up close in order to do damage, so rushing down with him is a blast. It's all character dependent. The idea of rushing down with a character that isn't made for that could be thrilling, but the idea is also generally flawed, and against a player who knows that character and knows that weakness, you're going to have a hard time and will either be forced to switch your tactics, or switch to a character that accommodates your playstyle.

...For the record though, no turtling isn't fun. It's annoying and I don't do it unless there's like 10 seconds on the clock and I have a life lead. But a lot of people confuse it with spacing and legit defense.

Tenryuga

That last paragraph is the best time to turtle. The frustration and ragemail that comes after it from scrubs online is golden and always makes me lmao.

AkaShocka

After annihilating some butthurt scrub named La fantoma countless times
ibdXh3x4oTL9A0.gif
OMG. La is a complete creep and lame. I always beat him with any character (even those I can't use) he always says "Oh, I let you win" So I'm like "Ok. Fight me forreal, no BS" he was like ok. So we're fighting, Sarah vs Momiji, I win 6 times in a row. He goes "Ah, fuck you. Get aids from your mother and die." Even though you guys won't get offended by that, I did...... because I don't even know my mother..........

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD