Win/lose/intro quotes in Japanese?

Juihau

What's even funnier is I could've sworn Zack's english dubber said "yoshi" during one of his victory poses. I'm not 100% though since I almost never play with the english dub or subs and can't access the game now. IIRC American Lisa also said "ike!" or something during battle, will confirm later.
EDIT: OK I can confirm I wasn't hearing things, they do actually say that. There may be other untranslated lines but I don't have the time to hunt for them
Actually, 'ike!' is pretty common with the English voices. Along with Lisa as you mentioned, Hitomi shouts it during her cliffhanger throw, and I believe Tina does with her tackle. I'm pretty sure Mila also uses it at some point, but I can't quite remember where.

Last edited:

Kronin

Thanks so much for this great work @werewolfgold ! :D

"Juu to gou, kyo to jitsu wo motte seisu." (I don't need to drink to win. But, it helps.)**
  • The only think I can conclude is that for some reason they didn't record this line in English. It means "Gentleness and vigor, lies and truth, obtain (them) and know (wisdom)."

I thought that this was a line from DoA4, but I see that I was wrong: damn, it's a shame that they left untranslated (through subs and dubs) the best line of Brad Wong from the game (and considering like more times the fans asked for this fixing, I really think that they forgot to register the line and now they have no more the possibility to correct it).

It's my job to stop you.

When Lisa say this line? Maybe is from a special encounter? Because when I use her, her opening one is always "Do you really want to fight this badly?" even if I make a mirror match between Lisa.

I really hope that isn't a bug of the Xbox version (like for Xbox DoA5 Vanilla completely missing Zack's "Your heart is gonna be all mine, baby" in single) :(

Brute

Standard Donor
I really hope that isn't a bug of the Xbox version (like for Xbox DoA5 Vanilla completely missing Zack's "Your heart is gonna be all mine, baby" in single) :(
Jeez, I wish mine was bugged. I get so fucking tired of that line every time he fights a woman (which is all the damn time) it makes me want to shoot him in the face.

Kronin

Jeez, I wish mine was bugged. I get so fucking tired of that line every time he fights a woman (which is all the damn time) it makes me want to shoot him in the face.

I think that the line can be used in single just when he fight a female character, but not necessarily this is the only line that he can state against them in the opening (but I could be wrong).

By the way in DoA5U Zack has 3 opening lines, but in DoA5 he had only 2 and if you cut this one, he remained just with his "Let's get this party started". So you can really hear everytime only the same opening line in DoA5 for Xbox, playing with Zack in single...

I thought that Lisa's case was the same in DoA5U with just an opening line: but that "It's my job to stop you" was able to give me doubts about the presence of a bug in the Xbox version (hoping that isn't the case).

werewolfgold

Ha. I forgot about that Zack line. I don't have to go into work tomorrow (I don't think). So, I may be able to finish up everything tonight (it's night for me). It is a shame about that Brad line though. It makes you remember that he's more than just some drunk dude. Though he doesn't really do himself any favors on that front otherwise. lol

werewolfgold

Okay, y'all. All finished. I'll probably run through eventually and sort out what quotes are tag and what quotes are single. I'll also run through and I more literal translations if some of them don't quite match up.

I will say that in some cases it was quite a good idea to change the English lines because some of the Japanese lines are kinda lame or repetitive across characters.

Also, let me know if I've missed any somehow.

UpSideDownGRUNT

I don't know if it's just me but in Hayabusa's "Justice Wins" quote it sounds like Hori-San is saying "Shi metsu" not "Seibai".

As I have stated before I don't know Japanese and I could be wrong but I definitely don't hear seibai there is an m and tsu pronunciation :S

Brute

Standard Donor
I don't know if it's just me but in Hayabusa's "Justice Wins" quote it sounds like Hori-San is saying "Shi metsu" not "Seibai".

As I have stated before I don't know Japanese and I could be wrong but I definitely don't hear seibai there is an m and tsu pronunciation :S
Sounds like "Shoo-bitsu!" to me, but I don't know anything. =/

werewolfgold

Sounds like "Shoo-bitsu!" to me, but I don't know anything. =/
WHOOPS!

That was one that I did from memory and forgot to double check. My bad. He is saying "Chuumetsu!" This will be updated immediately.

Everything else should be good, though. lol

These are from DOA2U and DOA4, but would it at all be possible to get Tengu translations?

I can probably tell you most of them. But, Tengu, like Ryu and Hayate, use a lot of uncommon words and phrases. Some of the quotes I only got because I pulled up the Japanese subtitles so I could look it up. Give me a sec.

That and Tengu...well, he clearly speaks funny. lol

Edit: Okay, here we go.

First vid was no problem. Second vid... Eh... Luckily, I found a printing of his quotes in Japanese to help me with a few of them.

DOA2 vid:
  • Opening Quotes
    • "Kowappa!" (YOU BRAT!)
  • Win Quotes
    • "Onnnnnnn!" (Haaaaaaaaate!)
    • "Shoushi!" (Ridiculous!)
    • "Shoushi senban!" (Utterly ridiculous!)
    • "Tengu-dou!" (The way of Tengu!)
    • "Zeijaku!" (Weakling!)
    • "Ningen to wa, noroi mono da!" (To be human is to be fragile!)
DOA4 vid:
  • Opening Quotes
    • "Yarai deka!" (Execution!)
    • "Inga nari!" (Karma incarnate!)
    • "Chokozai na!" (How impudent!)
    • "Somosan!" (...I dunno. Go with what the vid says. lol)
    • "Seppa!" (Confutation!)
    • "Ujimushi!" (Maggot!)
  • Win Quotes
    • "Yousha nashi!" (No mercy!)
    • "Ten'i muhou!" (Divine perfection!)
    • "Rokkon shoujou!" (Purification of all the senses!)
    • "Akai hana, hitotsu saita!" (A single red flower has bloomed!)

Last edited:

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I can probably tell you most of them. But, Tengu, like Ryu and Hayate, use a lot of uncommon words and phrases. Some of the quotes I only got because I pulled up the Japanese subtitles so I could look it up. Give me a sec.

That and Tengu...well, he clearly speaks funny. lol

Edit: Okay, here we go.

First vid was no problem. Second vid... Eh... Luckily, I found a printing of his quotes in Japanese to help me with a few of them.

DOA2 vid:
  • Opening Quotes
    • "Kowappa!" (YOU BRAT!)
  • Win Quotes
    • "Onnnnnnn!" (Haaaaaaaaate!)
    • "Shoushi!" (Ridiculous!)
    • "Shoushi senban!" (Utterly ridiculous!)
    • "Zeijaku!" (Weakling!)
    • "Ningen to wa, noroi mono da!" (To be human is to be fragile!)
DOA4 vid:
  • Opening Quotes
    • "Yarai deka!" (Execution!)
    • "Inga nari!" (Karma incarnate!)
    • "Chokozai na!" (How impudent!)
    • "Somosan!" (...I dunno. Go with what the vid says. lol)
    • "Seppa!" (Confutation!)
    • "Ujimushi!" (Maggot!)
  • Win Quotes
    • "Yousha nashi!" (No mercy!)
    • "Ten'i muhou!" (Divine perfection!)
    • "Rokkon shoujou!" (Purification of all the senses!)
    • "Akai hana, hitotsu saita!" (A single red flower has bloomed!)

Amazing. Thank you so much for that.

werewolfgold

Okay. I've started to add some more literal translations for those who might be interested. But, before I go overboard, could you guys take a look and Akira and Ayane and tell me if that formatting is okay? It looks kind of cluttered to me, but I can't think of a better way to do it without setting up a table of some kind.

Aerospark

Standard Donor
Holy shit, these translations are amazing. Would it be possible to get all of Ayane's DOA3 & DOA4 translations ;u;?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD