XBOX Now Offers You the Most Complete DOA Experience

If you own one of the many versions of XBOX ONE you now have complete access to Dead or Alive 1-6 in one official place. This information was leaked sometime last week and was made official yesterday at the 20th Anniversary celebration of XBOX. The hype is all over the Internet, and this is not new information, but allow us to throw in a few more details that could pique your interest further and possibly garner your attention to join the "XBOX family."

For your convenience the prices will be listed for all of the "new" backwards compatible games, but if you still have all of your Dead or Alive games from the past you don't need to pay a dime as you can simply put in the original discs and boom, you are in the club, and you are ready to go. You will be prompted to install the game off the disc and it's yours forever and playable with the click of a button.

To think that people are raving over this and wanted it for years, but yet Sony turned their back on this idea and said "we want to make new games" which is hardly what we have seen with PS5. If you wanted to do this on Playstation you would need to have three or four consoles hooked up to your television (and you still wouldn't have Ultimate, 3 or 4 at all). In other words: this is a big deal for the DOA community.

Dead or Alive 1: Ultimate is priced on the marketplace at a reasonable 10 USD and the game is now at a 4K resolution for the very first time in its official form. This not only preserves this underrated game, but in the absolute best way possible. Sadly the game is no longer available online, because the original XBOX Live servers no longer work. Raidou will dominate you in 4K, you can play with your friends locally or maybe even have a little money match at your next offline tournament to see who the best old-school player really is. My personal recommendation: if you don't own it - buy it. DOA1 is a fantastic game that was tragically buried and over-shadowed by Tekken 3 back in the day.

Dead or Alive 2: Ultimate is priced slightly higher at 15 USD and has been a fan-favorite for years and probably will be for years to come thanks to the 4K update. There is not a lot that needs to be said here as your eyeballs will identify quickly that other fighting games have never looked this good. The seamless environments, the gorgeous lighting and character models will make you say "wow." Once again there is no online with this game, but when there is a will there is a way. If you hated the groggy XBOX 360 experience back in the day, do not worry, your cut scenes will look beautiful and the game runs like a dream.

Recently Matt Ponton dominated a Dead or Alive 2 tournament via PC emulation. A great amount of people have shown interest with DOA tournaments for the older entries, and with XBOX it might be more convenient than it ever has been before to get something like this started for offline events. If you are playing a DOA game offline or online in a competitive format it will be covered in someway at Free Step Dodge.

Dead or Alive 3 was a day one game on the original XBOX also priced at 15 USD from the XBOX Live Marketplace. The WONDERFUL news here is that you can put your original 3.1 or 3.2 disc into your XBOX Series X AND PLAY IT. Some of you collectors out there might be playing your awesome game for THE VERY FIRST TIME! So please do enjoy. This is widely considered by Dead or Alive veterans as one of the best fighters of all time as there were tweaks and updates done later on that the American release NEVER received since the American version came out first. We're being told by a few people that you can also set your console region to get the better version, but more verification is needed on that as everyone on the FSD team owns a 3.1 disc. The costume booster pack appears installed by default regardless of the version you install.

Dead or Alive 4 is priced at 20 USD and in my opinion it should probably be priced at 15, but if you don't own it and you want it now I guess 20 isn't the worst. This is the only game that has not been upscaled, but it is naturally a better looking game on Series X. As Emery Reigns pointed out the game has a TON of lobbies going right now so this release has made it available to more people, and if you didn't know Dead or Alive 4 is the longest running online console fighting game of ALL TIME at nearly 16 years. DOA is just breaking records isn't it?

In a time of no news it's great to see Dead or Alive making some headlines again. We hope you enjoy these titles and if you have any exciting discoveries or some great pictures please post them in the comments or share them elsewhere at Free Step Dodge! Waaaaattttaaaaaaaa! I'm about to go play me some 3.1.

Last edited:
did you guys think that this could be a farewell gift from team ninja

No. KOEI TECMO and Team NINJA seem pretty straight-forward if they are choosing to no longer entertain something. Though in some regard I am surprised they've decided to monetize Itagaki's work again. They own the characters and the game so it's their right, but sometimes a negative stigma surrounding a past game can deter this sort of thing from happening. Dead or Alive 4 was the one that surprised me the most since there was a lawsuit involving Itagaki. It's not the most shocking thing in the world, but we have seen them steer clear from Itagaki completely since DOA5 was announced. Itagaki's narrative was pushed away starting with DOAD.

I wanted a DOA collection with online bad and still do, but in the back of my mind I never expected to hear from these titles again.

As far as the writing goes I thought DOA6 actually had a pretty good story. Several things were acknowledged that I did not expect, and the side story characters always amused me and was a nice rotation on the serious ninja stuff.

Nah, Team Ninja would've been much more vocal with the community if this was a farewell. Also, o Master o would have told us something if that were the case.

And to be honest, I think they're far from over...I suspect next year sometime in 2022 we will get some news on DOA7 and or news on a new Ninja Gaiden which leads up to DOA7. Basically my point is that I 100% believe a new DOA is coming.

I'm now seriously considering buying an Xbox seris S just to get the digital versions of 2 ultimate, 3, and 4 but I think I'll wait until I know when they're compatible. I recently went to some game stores to check the local prices and they're totally reasonable, even the 2tb expansion ssd are reasonably priced, good thing there's plenty in stock since everyone wants a PS5 instead :D

Can people on an Xbox One S play online with people on a Series S/X? I may try to dig out my old DOA4 disc (wherever it is...) but not if I'll be logging on to ghost town lobbies like 6.

Also, what version of DOA3 will be available digitally? I have 3.1 physically but I'm seriously considering just getting a Series S and just getting the games digitally for the convenience of not having to constantly change discs.

If using a disc, it will download an image of that region's disc. In your case it will download DOA 3.1 (JP), and you can only have one copy of Dead or Alive 3 installed at one time.

If downloading from a purchased copy from the marketplace, it will download whichever region you have the system's Locale set to at the time of download. So if you want to download 3.2 you should set the Locale to a European country. If you want to download 3.1, set the locale to Japan. And if you want to download 3.0 you should set the Locale to North America. You can change the locale back to whereever you want once it's downloaded. Like the disc version, you can't have more than one copy of Dead or Alive 3 downloaded at one time.

Also, the booster pack costumes for the North American region are installed by default regardless of which version you install. So that means if you install 3.1 or 3.2 you'll have duplicate costumes unlocked should you unlock the costumes through normal criteria.

Can people on an Xbox One S play online with people on a Series S/X?

Yes

I don’t think so, since TN is clearly still interested in DOA. Even if it’s the Xtreme series. However, I do believe there’s gonna be a long break before we will get a completely new DOA. Maybe in the future they will maybe recycle DOA5 or 6 again, who knows?
As far as the writing goes I thought DOA6 actually had a pretty good story. Several things were acknowledged that I did not expect, and the side story characters always amused me and was a nice rotation on the serious ninja stuff.
azealia-banks-selfie.gif

If someone can provide a full scale beautiful image from DOA 1-4 I will make it the main picture of this story and your social media tags will be added to the post. Thank you!
Here's something I made for you, I was going to use personal screenshots but I thought official images of Kasumi's darker evolution would be more fitting, especially since DOA1 and 2 and 3 don't exactly have the types of photography mode that the later games had

PicsArt_11-27-10.42.54~3.jpg

I did this one but I did this crop too at the bottom if you wanted something smaller. I also used her default over her other costumes so it kept the general theme serious. If you wanted a version with maybe the DOA logos of the game she was in beneath the pics I can do that too although the third one was the best era pic from around DOA3 I could find, I had to settle for the 2U/XBV era pic since DOA3 didn't have really any good Kasumi official pics in her default

PicsArt_11-27-10.42.54~2.jpg

Microsoft doing backwards compatibility since Xbox 360, which should be pretty sweet for people who still want to experience the classics from DOA1 (via DOAU) to DOA4. I've used to spend time on these games, when I was on the Xbox 360 and DOA Xtreme 2 (which DOAX2 was like $15 at Walmart).

Got a new series s and finished downloading doa 1 to 5. I'm playing on a 8 year old tv and even then I can see a lot of improvements in visual quality. The quick resume and nearly instant loading times already makes me feel like the purchase was worth it.

My thoughts on the games in numbered order:
  1. I haven't played 1 ultimate since i had an original Xbox more than 15 years ago and forgotten how it has such few features I've gotten used to having. I have been playing a ps1 version of doa 1 on my vita but it feels completely different. I might stick to my vita version instead. At least the controls feels more comfortable on the Xbox.
  2. I'm going to spend this weekend going thru 2 ultimate to unlock everything :D. This is probably going to be the game I'll be playing the most of all the doa games i have for the series s. I'm going to make sure it never leaves quick resume.
  3. I'm surprised DOA 3 already had all costumes unlocked but since that game had such few costumes anyway saves me even more time. I just need to unlock Ein and I have everything I need. At least I don't have the incomplete American version (3.0).
  4. Playing thru 4 to unlock all the characters is going to be a MASSIVE pain :mad:
  5. Never expected my saves for last round would carry over. Even all my saved fights and screenshots are there. I even got the dlcs I previously bought that were discontinued. I'll probably stick to my PS4 version though, I've grown too used to the motion controlled boob bounce ;)

DOA1U seems to have some visual glitches I don't remember seeing when playing it on 360... maybe I'm just not remembering right, I'll have to check it out. It'd really appreciate if someone with experience making comparison videos made some for these releases.

I'm surprised DOA 3 already had all costumes unlocked but since that game had such few costumes anyway saves me even more time. I just need to unlock Ein and I have everything I need. At least I don't have the incomplete American version (3.0).

To clarify, it doesn't have all the costumes unlocked. It has the booster pack installed, so you're getting the costumes that were released on disc for the Japanese and European versions of the game. You still have to unlock the on disc costumes that were locked on the North American version of the game. Additionally, the booster pack is installed regardless of which region of the game you install.

DOA1U seems to have some visual glitches I don't remember seeing when playing it on 360... maybe I'm just not remembering right, I'll have to check it out. It'd really appreciate if someone with experience making comparison videos made some for these releases.

I'd have to see which visual glitches you're referring to. But I wouldn't advise to compare it to the 360 emulator as that was a lesser emulator for Xbox.

You still have to unlock the on disc costumes that were locked on the North American version of the game. Additionally, the booster pack is installed regardless of which region of the game you install.

What costumes for the North American version? The only unlockable costume for us Americans is Kasumi's school sweater outfit. The rest we had to relied on the Booster Packs that were either from the Xbox Magazine demo discs or simply have DOA Ultimate so we can be unlock it. This is what pissed me off back in the day because we get the short end of the stick (also happened in the original DOA2 for the Dreamcast, doesn't affect Hardcore version for PS2) while the rest of the regions have the updated content.

The only unlockable costume for us Americans is Kasumi's school sweater outfit.

Zack's alien costume was also in DOA3 NA. I believe one other costume unlocked in DOA3.0

This is what pissed me off back in the day because we get the short end of the stick (also happened in the original DOA2 for the Dreamcast, doesn't affect Hardcore version for PS2) while the rest of the regions have the updated content.

So was the times. DOA1, DOA2, and DOA3 were all given more costumes for each region. The PAL version getting DOA1 last gave it the most costumes of it. Was the cost of the era, you want the game sooner, you'll get less content & patches. Hardcore on JP got more costumes than Hardcore on US/EU as well. US/EU had the same content.

Kasumi C3 Zack C3 and Ein C3 are all missing even with the booster pack so you still have to unlock those. My copy of 3.2 on Series S had every costume except for those three. Though the odd thing is that you can still unlock booster pack costumes normally so in my save I have Kasumi's C4 twice lol.

Kasumi C3 Zack C3 and Ein C3 are all missing even with the booster pack so you still have to unlock those. My copy of 3.2 on Series S had every costume except for those three. Though the odd thing is that you can still unlock booster pack costumes normally so in my save I have Kasumi's C4 twice lol.

Yes, the booster pack is installed even on the regions that don't require it. They also won't show up in random select because they're hard drive installs.

Now that Xbox is AGAIN the HOME of DOA, I hope it will also be the plattform for Future DOA tournaments... Screw PC and Playstation!!
Ps. DOA4 Online not working atm

Now that Xbox is AGAIN the HOME of DOA, I hope it will also be the plattform for Future DOA tournaments... Screw PC and Playstation!!
I don't tbh, I hope it's still mainly PS4 if not PC since not everyone likes using the Xbox controller, at least with PC you can always use either controller

We almost live in 2022, on what console someone is shouldn’t even matter at this point. They should’ve just gave DOA crossplay so everyone could enjoy DOA instead of buying a specific gaming console to play on it. Not everyone has $500 for a console to play DOA. Especially not the people that have been suffering the past 2 years.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD