Fighter graphics and art style discussion

CFW

I think they usually upload HQ trailers like a few days to a week after it's been streamed on their youtube channel.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Xiaoyu looks really nice (and actually Asian this time) in the new trailer :cool:
I know this trailer. I really wished, they'd let us see a high quality video of Tekken 7 already, because I can't make out much of the details so far.
Don't worry. The Tekken channel will have it uploaded really soon ;)

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I think they usually upload HQ trailers like a few days to a week after it's been streamed on their youtube channel.

I didn't find any HQ versions of the other trailers either. For this one for example:

Not even on sites like Gamersyde (www.gamersyde.com), where I usually find trailers of all sorts of games in high quality. They have all the DOA5 Last Round trailers in HQ...

d3v

That would be a weird, shortsighted reason... You should give a game the perfectly fitting art style, that it deserves and not look at other game series of the same company, to determine a common, known style. No gaming company does that. Not even Capcom. Viewtiful Joe for example also uses an anime/cell shading style. Or the game Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Here, Chun Li in anime/cell shaded style:

17mxaxowmq9x6jpg.jpg

Most of the concept art d3v showcased here are also anime style. There must be another reason...
TvC was made that way because of 1) the Wii's limitations and 2) the fact that Tatsunoko's properties were cartoons.

Also, SF is a more mainstream property and, admittedly, cel-shading isn't really for everybody.

More importantly, Capcom (alongside SNK) is know for having its own signature style. Aside from the RE series, most of Capcom's classic series all fall under the same signature style. It's part of what makes Capcom games what they are.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
What Capcom signature look are guys talking about?

Already stated it:
That "signature" style is because you want to make the attacking body parts more visible. They were always exaggerated for that effect. Look at Super Turbo and notice how Guile's hand is as big as his head. For Chun Li it's her thighs and legs, for Ryu it's his hands and feet (for his poking, tatsu, shoryuken, and hadouken).

As for why they didn't take one of their franchise pillar game series into Cel Shading, I imagine it has something to do with all of the cel-shaded games you just displayed not selling well. Also, each of those games were the first in their franchise.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
As for why they didn't take one of their franchise pillar game series into Cel Shading, I imagine it has something to do with all of the cel-shaded games you just displayed not selling well. Also, each of those games were the first in their franchise.

Yeah, that's what I figured too. The average gamer doesn't seem to appreciate cel-shaded games too much, as we saw in the past. Some even consider them cheap or as bad graphics. It's a shame, they can be amazing from an artistic kind of view (Zelda:Wind Waker, Killer 7, Okami...)

How could Okami come to my mind just now? Also a beautifully cel-shaded Capcom game:

okami-hd-launch-trailer.jpg

Last edited:

Kodachi

Standard Donor
The cavemen proportions are still there, It's just the faces, that they made more attractive. ;) Look at those thighs, feet and hands:

sf5-trailer-screenshot2.png
It's a lot less grotesque and more stylistically pleasing they both look beautiful, almost god-like :p they are a bit too goofy looking in SF4 imo especially with the cartoony faces.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
If anything, Guilty Gear did the 2.5D thing correctly. The models are 3D, but it still looks like a true current gen 2D fighter with HD sprites. As for the look of Street Fighter V, the game is still in early development and a lot can change between now and then. I will say that the models look more polished than SF4, which is already a vast improvement. One of the main reasons I never got into the SF4 series is because the aesthetic turned me off.

David Gregg

Tekken 7: A lot of the stages look fantastic and the characters look "good enough" (a lot of their models remain the same but you can see an improvement in the skin, hair, outfits, etc...) Some of the characters don't look as good as I thought they would on current gen but if you compare their models to TTT2 or TR it's like night and day.

SF5: SF will be SF I guess. :rolleyes: I was never a fan of the way their characters looked post SF3 but the series stays true to it's cartoonish models and their exaggerated limbs and I can respect them for wanting to stick to it. Like other games being released you can notice the improvements in skin and clothes textures more than anything even though their "looks" remain more or less the same. The stage shown in the trailer looks decent but I can't go off one stage I'll have to wait to see more.

GGXrd: I don't know...people are praising the "3D on 2D" aesthetic but I'm not really seeing the game as that good looking (and the majority of stages don't stand out to me). I'm not a fan of cartoon 2D fighters though so that might be why. I do eventually want to try the game out though since everyone talks so highly of it.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
GGXrd: I don't know...people are praising the "3D on 2D" aesthetic but I'm not really seeing the game as that good looking (and the majority of stages don't stand out to me). I'm not a fan of cartoon 2D fighters though so that might be why. I do eventually want to try the game out though since everyone talks so highly of it.

I expected it for the stages. On average, GG hasn't really wowed me on stage design. In GGXrd they baked the lighting in the stages so the only dynamic lighting is on the characters. The characters can have upwards of 10 to 15 lights around any given frame of animation.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I'm looking forward to the HQ tekken vids. I never liked leo because she looked manly and somewhat unattractive in TTT2, but now she looks so cute....i almost want to kiss her, but i can't really handle the fact that she still dresses like a man:( But yeah anyway, the graphics are really doing well...i wonder if they'll implement sweating and dirt physics like they mimicked from DOA in TTT2?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Dirt yes, but I never noticed the fighters sweating in TTT2...
I always have the dirt off in DOA5. The muddy textures (no pun intended ;)) look really ugly. Hope, they get that right in DOA6.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Dirt yes, but I never noticed the fighters sweating in TTT2... I always have the dirt off in DOA5. The muddy textures (no pun intended ;)) look really ugly. Hope, they get that in DOA6 right.
It doesn't happen in all stages, but if you fight in certain stages with a slightly darker lighting, you'll notice shiny sweat marks that dont appear in other stages....well maybe except for the fountain stage, because you get visibly wet.
And yeah, the mud and dirt textures need work in the next DOA game. It looks so pixelated and glitchy...

Tyaren

Standard Donor
It doesn't happen in all stages, but if you fight in certain stages with a slightly darker lighting, you'll notice shiny sweat marks that dont appear in other stages....well maybe except for the fountain stage, because you get visibly wet

Hmm...sure your not imagining this? ;)

@Kodachi, look, I found a great gif, that shows, just how big of a style change SFV is from SFIV:

BANR4E5.gif

Ryu looks so much better! :D Thrilled to see the other characters now.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD