Fighter graphics and art style discussion

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Yes I agree and if Bayonetta 2 taught me anything it's that just b/c the Wii U doesn't the graphical prowess of the PS4/X1 doesn't mean it can't produce stunning games.
I've seen the graphics for Bayonetta 2 and they are spectacular! Unfortunately, i dont own a wii u, so i can't experience it first hand..

Tyaren

Standard Donor
A (sort of) HQ version of the latest Tekken 7 trailer is finally up:

While the backgrounds look much better and the character models are definitely improved (Xiaoyu looks almost completely different)...

15804675267_317167a3f2_o.jpg

...you can still see noticable polygon edges on clothing (imho more than you can see on current fighters, like DOA5 or Soul CaliburV):

15990398925_f86022359f_o.jpg

15990399265_5de5b08ba8_o.jpg

(nice textures though!)
Also they seem, to go more for some sort of plastic doll look, like DOA in the past. The characters are very shiny/waxy and seem to have less skin detail:

15804673627_f7acb169b5_o.jpg

Animations are, as always in a Tekken, top notch!

CFW

The design choice is to go with less realistic lighting, because sometimes it doesn't look the best.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The design choice is to go with less realistic lighting, because sometimes it doesn't look the best.

It's not so much the lighting, but the shaders. It's them, that give the fighters this waxy, undetailed look. But I agree, it's not so much bad graphics, it's obviously the preferred stylized look, that they are going for. It's such a shame though...this generation of consoles is capable of more. I was really hoping for graphics/art style like this also in fighting games:

beyond2-9ce799a06086d2b2.jpg

last-of-us-screenshot-2.jpg

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Not everybody likes/wants photorealistic design.

tumblr_mebi0dDzqX1qdr3s3o2_500.gif

Yeah, that's why I usually stress: "I think" or "I was hoping" or "I wished" or "imho" when talking about design choices.

Last edited:

RoboJoe

Forgot about Anna, but I think Zafina looked alright. Christie was the real travesty though. They might as well have gave her a baritone voice and been done with it.

SpellBound

I have always like MK, DOA, and Tekken's art styles the most.
I like very detailed and realistic stages, characters, and outfits.
i also like Skullgirls art style alot too.

Argentus

Let's talk about the graphics, design and art style of the upcoming fighters in here. :)
How do or will fighters look on the current generation consoles and PC? Here's a little overview to start things off:

Killer Instinct (already released, Xbone):

KI_ImageGallery_151.jpg

KI_ImageGallery_26.jpg

2D9753234-killerinstinct.jpg

Guilty Gear Xrd (December 2014 release, old and current generation consoles):

ggxrd-oct2014-screenshot21.jpg

ggxrd-oct2014-screenshot5.jpg

ggxrd-oct2014-screenshot19.jpg

Dead or Alive 5 Last Round (2015 release, old and current generation consoles):

dead_or_alive_5_last_round11111.jpg

282979-1.jpg

Dead-or-Alive-5-Last-Round-22.jpg

Tekken 7 (2015 release, arcade and current generation consoles):

tekken_7-004.jpg

Tekken7Screen4.jpg

157743d1413887544-tekken-7-tekken-7_2014_10-20-14_006.jpg

Mortal Kombat X (2015 release, current generation consoles and PC):

mortal-kombat-x-gamescom-screenshot-kano.jpg

mortal-kombat-x-e3-screenshot-dvorah-intro-cove.jpg

mortal-kombat-x-gamescom-screenshot-kano-vs-sub-zero-01.jpg

Street Fighter V (2015 release, current generation consoles and PC):

sf5-hd-screenshot5.jpg

sf5-hd-screenshot4.jpg

sf5-hd-screenshot.jpg
*takes a breath*

Killer Instinct is ugly. What I mean by that is they put TOO MUCH detail into it. The two humans there are way too cluttered up, so it'll be like watching live action transformers when they fight. What they need to do is either streamline/simplify the designs to look better, or make some better color contrasts between characters and stages so everything on the screen isn't little dark chunks squirreling around. Its also a total waste of effort, since 2d fighters move too quickly to really look at the character models outside of win screens.

Guilty Gear, is another waste of effort. While the models are amazing and I love them, and they could rival CC2, there was no reason to dress up 3d models to look 2d when the game is still 2d. Only two advantages are cutscene supers, and alternate costumes. That said, the game IS beautiful and I love the art style and animations.

DOA5, still really ugly. Sure character faces are more realistic, but everything is still low detail reds and browns, the whole game just looks muddy in every sense. Tthey need the aesthetics of the old DOA (all the vibrant blues and greens and whites) to come back, instead of trying to be "gritty" the whole time.

Tekken....everything looks laminated.

Mortal Kombat, I'm not gonna lie, looks great. The character designs aren't overly cluttered, the graphics are good, we know it will have gore mechanics like wolverine and splatterhouse...Although seeing Kano turned into the new Hsu Hao/Jax hybrid is still throwing me off lol.

Street Fighter looks....okay at best. It looked far better with sprites, to be honest. but I'm glad they dont look like Looney Toons anymore.

I wish DOA would have the graphics of the new Guilty Gear....or an aesthetic more like Final Fantasy XIII, which is an absolutely gorgeous game.

So in order of best to worst looking games

1) Guilty Gear
2) Mortal Kombat
3) Street Fighter
4) Dead or Alive
5) Killer Instinct.

Its not just about how high poly/res the graphics are, art style is a balance between polys, textures, color palettes, stage and character designs, and game type.

A (sort of) HQ version of the latest Tekken 7 trailer is finally up:

While the backgrounds look much better and the character models are definitely improved (Xiaoyu looks almost completely different)...

15804675267_317167a3f2_o.jpg

...you can still see noticable polygon edges on clothing (imho more than you can see on current fighters, like DOA5 or Soul CaliburV):

15990398925_f86022359f_o.jpg

15990399265_5de5b08ba8_o.jpg

(nice textures though!)
Also they seem, to go more for some sort of plastic doll look, like DOA in the past. The characters are very shiny/waxy and seem to have less skin detail:

15804673627_f7acb169b5_o.jpg

Animations are, as always in a Tekken, top notch!
Tekken doesn't know how to do skin textures...or normal maps. That said have you ever looked at the bottom of King's feet in T6? That's horrific lol.

It's not so much the lighting, but the shaders. It's them, that give the fighters this waxy, undetailed look. But I agree, it's not so much bad graphics, it's obviously the preferred stylized look, that they are going for. It's such a shame though...this generation of consoles is capable of more. I was really hoping for graphics/art style like this also in fighting games:

beyond2-9ce799a06086d2b2.jpg

last-of-us-screenshot-2.jpg
this makes for a good looking movie, but a very boring looking game.

What they need is a mix. The more detailed graphics of this, but the more dynamic colors, lighting, and designs of the current tekken designs.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
First live gameplay of Street Fighter V. Looks imho really nice and smooth:

Haha, Chun Li's dive into the soup kitchen! XD Love small, humorous details like that!

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Street Fighter V seems be going for a more darker, grittier feel than SF4's colorful, cartoony look. Then again, I feel only 3D fighters (like Tekken an DOA) can pull of this look. 2D fighters have to colorful and flashy, because let's face it, that's how they get peopled hyped. Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat X seem to the exceptions, because both games still look hype to watch. KI is hype because of the ultra combos and outlandish designs, while MKX will pander to the fans of extreme gore. Hopefully, MKX won't be clunky like MK9 and InjustASS.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Lili looks really nice! Way better than what she looked like in previous games (especially better than TTT2).

Tekken_7_-_Lili_-2.jpeg

A close up look for one of her customizations (detail is bound to improve overtime)
tekken7-custom-lili-3.jpg

Tyaren

Standard Donor
But what's up with those super low polygon customization items?

06_tekkencustom11.jpg

The wings look like something out of a PS2 game.

but no seriously why the fuck does this game look like play dough?

You came a page late to Mr. Wah's and d3v's explanation, that this is apparently Capcom's signature style... :/

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD