Horizon Zero Dawn

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Awesome images, you do have an eye for composition.
It's also alright to have boners for graphics. It's natural to get them looking at sexy things. ;)

I finally met the Sun King! O: Now I'll relax a little regarding the story and focus on some sidequests that I haven't done in earlier areas of the game. I want to know who this Zaid guy is, that you were mentioning, Chappy.

Chapstick

I was gonna say the sun king's kinda cute but I didn't know if you had seen him yet lol

I noticed they gave him a soft trustworthy face to contrast the things you hear his father did and show how different he is which I thought was a nice touch

I assumed you did that quest when I mentioned it. ;( The game does a good job of evoking a certain emotion in it imo that you should still get despite what I said.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I was gonna say the sun king's kinda cute but I didn't know if you had seen him yet lol.

He is, I like the thing he does with his lip, kinda biting on it when thinking.
He really seems genuine. I also liked that he seems so normal and understanding while the rest of his kingdom is so superstitious, worshipping the sun and him and all the talk of him overthrowing and killing his cruel father.
I really wondered what he is like with all the pomp and circumstance around him. I again have to say I really like the world and lore they created in the game.

Chapstick

Sticking three purple handling mods on the regular bow basically turns it into a machine gun

bWtIvE2.gif

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Cleared my second cauldron (dungeons of this game). Damn, they get more tricky to navigate and the enemies get tougher and more numerous. D:

32453863233_04fa362310_o.png

32425440644_3a70c73bf6_o.png

32425461344_640ea0ac12_o.png

33112724512_483c40cc97_o.png

Chapstick

I was trying to see how to open the zeta cauldron and couldn't quite figure it out. Plus it's guarded by three stalkers which wasn't fun.

The second one (RHO I think it is?)'s final room wasn't as bad for me as the first's because I overloaded my war bow with purple corruption mods so it takes one hit to corrupt anything. Had those machines killing each other for me as I continued attacking from the sidelines lol

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I was trying to see how to open the zeta cauldron and couldn't quite figure it out. Plus it's guarded by three stalkers which wasn't fun.

The second one (RHO I think it is?)'s final room wasn't as bad for me as the first's because I overloaded my war bow with purple corruption mods so it takes one hit to corrupt anything. Had those machines killing each other for me as I continued attacking from the sidelines lol

You certainly think and experiment more regarding combat than I do. XD There are mods to corrupt your arrows? O: They then attack eachother?
With bigger enemies I usually just dodge roll around like crazy and once there is an opening I smash away with my spear, which I have upgraded to pack a good punch and that's it. XD
When there are robots with easily visible blaze canisters (the aligators for example) I of course try to shoot those. But my aiming is bad...even while slowing down time. XD

Next time I'll think about placing some trip wires in the cauldron arena though before I deactivate the force field and start the boss battle.

Chapstick

You certainly think and experiment more regarding combat than I do. XD There are mods to corrupt your arrows? O: They then attack eachother?
Yeah, corruption basically confuses the machines. The game says it confuses people too but I just stealth headshot all the human enemies I come across. There's still a (I'd say 50/50) chance they'll attack you and if there are no other machines around to attack they'll definitely attack you but it's useful especially since I only need one arrow to do it. I have a bunch of purple freeze mods and since I just got the shadow rattler maybe I'll stick them on there for instafreezes too
With bigger enemies I usually just dodge roll around like crazy and once there is an opening I smash away with my spear, which I have upgraded to pack a good punch and that's it. XD
I really need to use my spear more in close combat fights, I often forget I even have it lol. I'm level 34 and have most of the skills but I've been ignoring all the spear ones
When there are robots with easily visible blaze canisters (the aligators for example) I of course try to shoot those. But my aiming is bad...even while slowing down time. XD
It might not even be you since some alligators have protection over their blaze canisters you have to shoot off before a fire arrow will work. Tearblast arrows work great there but of course alert every nearby enemy

What I really like doing is finding a group of grazers and shooting a few of their blaze canisters before they notice me. Then as they look over at my general area a series of explosions starts and I get a bunch of exp and resources :p It feels very efficient

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Yeah, corruption basically confuses the machines. The game says it confuses people too but I just stealth headshot all the human enemies I come across. There's still a (I'd say 50/50) chance they'll attack you and if there are no other machines around to attack they'll definitely attack you but it's useful especially since I only need one arrow to do it. I have a bunch of purple freeze mods and since I just got the shadow rattler maybe I'll stick them on there for instafreezes too

I really need to use my spear more in close combat fights, I often forget I even have it lol. I'm level 34 and have most of the skills but I've been ignoring all the spear ones

It might not even be you since some alligators have protection over their blaze canisters you have to shoot off before a fire arrow will work. Tearblast arrows work great there but of course alert every nearby enemy

What I really like doing is finding a group of grazers and shooting a few of their blaze canisters before they notice me. Then as they look over at my general area a series of explosions starts and I get a bunch of exp and resources :p It feels very efficient

Lol, you are ten levels above me and I had the game several days before you. XD I'm 34 hours in and I've only completed 38% of the game.
I'm really taking my time with this game, just like The Witcher 3 (a game of their caliber does not come along that often after all), and most of the time I'm just exploring, marveling at the scenery and the mechanic creatures.
I also hardly ever use fast travel. I ususally prefer going on foot in open world games, but in this game it applies even more, because this game is imo artistically a whole level above The Witcher 3 or Final Fantasy XV. Their worlds feel empty and carelessly crafted in comparison. Especially FFXV. Horizon is like the Witcher 3's Toussaint in artistic beauty and density, and then some, just ten times larger.
Speaking about size, I was positively surprised in this regard as well. From what I had heard, and I also passed this false information on to others, the game world was said to be considerably smaller than many other open worlds, with just a couple of towns and settlements, but what was there was especially carefully crafted. That turned out to be not true at all! The gameworld is actually just as big as other current open world RPGs and it does have numerous towns and settlements and Guerilla Games somehow still managed to keep the extreme polish over such a huge area and variation of areas.
Speaking about variation, that's also one of the great achievements of this game. There are so many different regions: Snowy mountains, autumnal valleys, summer fields, dense forests, desert canyons, lush rainforests, sprawling old world ruins, sci-fi underground dungeons and in this world exist several different tribes, each one with their own distinctive culture and capital. That was exactly how I envisioned FFXV's world should have been. Well, I got it now in an even better, bigger and more beautiful game. And the best was getting this by surprise. I was hyped for the game before release, but it turned out Guerilla Games actually managed to keep its true awesomeness mostly under wraps. :)

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
New Dragon Quest XI ccreens were released! We can make a nice comparison of how the game looks on PS4 and 3DS:

pic01_z.jpg

33238878456_9441e6795d_o.jpg

pic02_z.jpg

P37gfpv.jpg

pic03_z.jpg

gdJrsYd.jpg

Shows, that tech isn't everything. The 3DS version looks imo a lot nicer and more charming. The PS4 version looks sterile and uninspired. Toriyama's art style better sticks as close as possible to its comic/manga look or it just turns out weird...
I'm still excited for this game...if it ever comes out in the West.
By the way, a Switch version is also announced, but we haven't seen anything of it so far. It will very likely be a port of the PS4 version with dropped detail and resolution. I doubt they will create a third graphics build for it.
I love DQ!! ♡.♡ HYPE!

Tyaren

Standard Donor
OMG, I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread. XD This was meant for the Graphics and Art Style thread.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Uh oh, they are considerably nerfing my beloved Carja Storm Hunter DLC armor in a patch that's apparently live now. D:
By mistake they made the armor absorb 90% of all physical damage. It was my last resort armor when I was getting just rekt and the outfit most useful for photomode, because I could experiment and get very close to enemies without dying after each photo.
In rememberence a few shots of this armor in action:

32384300303_7395e6b6d3_o.png

33199510465_684c6620c2_o.png

33051024342_e4c32ed3d0_o.png

32466044794_23385f1765_o.png

32494480833_eca0ce0251_o.png

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor

Chapstick

Guerilla Games used some of my Horizon potos for their presentation of the capabilites of their Decima graphic engine. :)
Apart from my photos it's a very interesting presentation. It talks about how Horizon's lush and vast world was created and procedually generated:

https://www.guerrilla-games.com/rea...hanics-in-the-vast-world-of-horizon-zero-dawn
https://www.guerrilla-games.com/read/gpu-based-procedural-placement-in-horizon-zero-dawn
Did they grab them from neogaf?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Did they grab them from neogaf?

I think so, I don't think the developers are reading this forum, lol. XD
To celebrate this occasion let's now take a look at the interiors of Horizon, which are all beautifully modelled and lit and very atmospheric:

33197759381_24d40b1756_o.png

33170404612_fd0856fef6_o.png

32482898534_b4b7b65fb0_o.png

32482964334_07569d53c9_o.png

32511214053_22115e4181_o.png

The Guerilla Games very own Decima Engine, which Hideo Kojima licensed for his new game Death Stranding, really is an all-round talent.

Last edited:

ShinobiGuy

Great pictures @Tyaren ! I have hardly played anything on this game as I'm totally engrossed in Nioh.
I have done some stuff, but I haven't even gotten to the proving yet, when I played I mostly just explored, it's so amazing the area.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The guy in the comic is doing it wrong. It should be the gamer who beats the game not the other way round. ;)

Speaking of beating the game. I'm at 54 hours and only 50% done with the entire game. XD And I did have to start fast traveling, the game world is just too huge and sometimes quests do lead you to the opposite side of the map. I can't believe I am actually at the point when I see gorgeous vistas like this...

32500363584_ccbbe5f6e9_o.png

33343045245_1ced0489fa_o.png

32500376274_999509e9c8_o.png

...and I'm like:

e65.gif

I'll grab a screen and I'm on my way.

So far I am absolutely loving the game though. Depending on how the late game story unfolds it might become my new favorite RPG and replace even The Witcher 3. It does not eclipse The Witcher 3 in every aspect but I feel especially the combat is a lot more fun and engaging, world exploration is a lot more rewarding and interesting, I'm in awe every 5 minutes, and the story and its pacing are a lot better than The Witcher 3 main quest (the Hearts of Stone expansion is unreached however).
Now I got to a point where I think I have figured out the mysteries of Horizon Zero Dawn. If I indeed have guessed correctly already then the story is still pretty good but if I'm wrong and they throw a curveball ball at me then I am deeply impressed and this will be my new favorite RPG.

Last edited:

ShinobiGuy

Calling it, you put real pics instead of game pics. Iceland maybe :p

Downloading my new PS update. Boost mode here I come!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD