Horizon Zero Dawn

Chapstick

Go to Meridian once you feel like it. :) (I don't know at what point I reached it.) I did one main quest, then a couple side quests, then a main quest again and so on... Do it like it feels right for you and your good.
I think I'm going to finish the story tonight, at least I was warned by the game that I'm at a point of no return. I'm over 60 hours playtime now and I have done all the important side quests. I have no clue how the game handles its post end game. I hope I can keep on playing and maybe a couple more side quests unlock. Let's see. :)
If you're talking about the one in
Sunfall
it's not a point of no return, you just can't leave the area until you're done with the quest

Tyaren

Standard Donor
If you're talking about the one in
Sunfall
it's not a point of no return, you just can't leave the area until you're done with the quest

Yep, I'm free again. XD story is still going. Won't finish it today. :D

Chapstick

4e6IRwE.png

AVfknFn.png

CMgutLw.png

and this one's way too large since I turned it sideways so I'll put it in a spoiler

X6eFWP1.png

just_me

Standard Donor
I guess I'll shelve the game (after ~67h or so) and move on to Nier, so here are my final kill stats:
195 Watchers
17 Redeye Watchers
63 Grazers
11 Chargers
33 Striders
27 Tramplers
62 Glinthawks
98 Scrappers
19 Lancehorns
29 Broadheads
18 Longlegs
17 Snapmaws
5 Behemoths
7 Shell-Walkers
22 Sawteeth
20 Ravagers
7 Fire Bellowbacks
6 Freeze Bellowbacks
20 Stalkers
4 Rockbreakers
30 Thunderjaws
6 Stormbirds
7 Corrupters
6 Deathbringers

537 Humans

I got my platinum, 100% Completion, got all upgrades, skills and high end gear (with fairly decent modifications for the most part), I even read all the datapoints I have (which is most of them) so there is nothing left to do… and I have absolutely 0 intention to start another playthrough…

Except for the visuals I found the game remarkably unremarkable… nothing stood out as particularly good, or bad.

Story was OK I guess… though most characters were not memorably, interesting, or complex imo. Sylens was fine, Travis was kinda cool… rest… meh…

Quests aside from the main quest line are pretty standard stuff… Errands are basically fetch quests (first errand in the game: “bring me 5 meat and those prayer beads I lost”, not much later: “bring me 4 boar skins and that ring I lost”) some sidequests are nothing but “follow the glowing trail” (and kill something at the end of the trail), clear locations from enemies (corrupted zones, bandit camps) etc. Sometimes couched in an interesting narrative, sometimes not, always linear not even some pseudo/flavor decisions as far as I remember.

Combat is OK. Melee is as basic as it gets, though that's not the point of the game. Fighting humans is boring, larger machines can be fun.
Kind lacking in the enemy department though… 24 machines, with at least 3 “duplicates” (and as far as I'm concerned striders, broadheads and chargers are basically the same thing as well), and like 3-4(?) humans. Not a single proper boss fight either.

For an RPG it's pretty light on RPG elements. Very little gear, skills, stats and so on. There are Action Adventures with more character growth…

Some jarring UI/UX decisions e.g. no options to buy in bulk (though sell in bulk is available…), the whole carry capacity upgrade menu, quick item menu (Souls type cycling is bad enough, the fact that it auto adds all consumables to the list makes it awful)

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I guess I'll shelve the game (after ~67h or so) and move on to Nier, so here are my final kill stats:
195 Watchers
17 Redeye Watchers
63 Grazers
11 Chargers
33 Striders
27 Tramplers
62 Glinthawks
98 Scrappers
19 Lancehorns
29 Broadheads
18 Longlegs
17 Snapmaws
5 Behemoths
7 Shell-Walkers
22 Sawteeth
20 Ravagers
7 Fire Bellowbacks
6 Freeze Bellowbacks
20 Stalkers
4 Rockbreakers
30 Thunderjaws
6 Stormbirds
7 Corrupters
6 Deathbringers

537 Humans

I got my platinum, 100% Completion, got all upgrades, skills and high end gear (with fairly decent modifications for the most part), I even read all the datapoints I have (which is most of them) so there is nothing left to do… and I have absolutely 0 intention to start another playthrough…

Except for the visuals I found the game remarkably unremarkable… nothing stood out as particularly good, or bad.

Story was OK I guess… though most characters were not memorably, interesting, or complex imo. Sylens was fine, Travis was kinda cool… rest… meh…

Quests aside from the main quest line are pretty standard stuff… Errands are basically fetch quests (first errand in the game: “bring me 5 meat and those prayer beads I lost”, not much later: “bring me 4 boar skins and that ring I lost”) some sidequests are nothing but “follow the glowing trail” (and kill something at the end of the trail), clear locations from enemies (corrupted zones, bandit camps) etc. Sometimes couched in an interesting narrative, sometimes not, always linear not even some pseudo/flavor decisions as far as I remember.

Combat is OK. Melee is as basic as it gets, though that's not the point of the game. Fighting humans is boring, larger machines can be fun.
Kind lacking in the enemy department though… 24 machines, with at least 3 “duplicates” (and as far as I'm concerned striders, broadheads and chargers are basically the same thing as well), and like 3-4(?) humans. Not a single proper boss fight either.

For an RPG it's pretty light on RPG elements. Very little gear, skills, stats and so on. There are Action Adventures with more character growth…

Some jarring UI/UX decisions e.g. no options to buy in bulk (though sell in bulk is available…), the whole carry capacity upgrade menu, quick item menu (Souls type cycling is bad enough, the fact that it auto adds all consumables to the list makes it awful)

May the sun punish you for your heresy! D:

CccXZSt.gif

"Jeez, taking down that epic beast shifted my armor plate a tad."

ShinobiGuy

Some amazing pics and gifs here, keep em coming. I still haven't played much of anything as my gaming time is unfortunately limited and what I do have goes to Nioh.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Some amazing pics and gifs here, keep em coming.

Sure! :)
Which is you guys' favorite area in the game? Mine is actually the desert area (I usually always prefer green, lush environments), spotted with all that beautiful Carja architecture.

32559128303_ebd51db4cd_o.png

33217990322_7c6a695a33_o.png

33383899866_2262eddc1f_o.png

33296045901_412a37a7f9_o.png

32788814080_0a6ababab2_o.png

I also love the verticality of that region. You can literally climb every plateau and observe whats going on in the valley or canyon below.

Jadeinchains

Okay I still haven't finished the story yet but It's getting really good! :D No spoilers though! I'm loving it so far. Meridian is amazing as well, The whole city and area around it is so pretty. A lot of the side characters are really great, I'm loving the background lore as well. I've been taking a lot of pictures as well but I don't know about posting them just yet.

Oh and Tyaren just posted! XD

The Carja area and Meridian are definitely my favourite areas in the game, The rivers and huge pillars are beautiful and I really like the architecture of the Carja as well, The way it sits on the mountainside and hidden away in the forests. I'm really impressed by the clothing they wear.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Okay I still haven't finished the story yet but It's getting really good! :D

Lol, you better not be finishing the story already. XD
I'm going to finish it later today, after about 70 hours of playing. This time for sure. It's definitely the last quest. I'm already missing exploring such a a vast and beautiful world for the very first time. *sigh*

I think the rainforesty region is my favorite.

My only gripe regarding that area is that it is too brown. The jungle isn't really lush green. :/

Jadeinchains

Lol, you better not be finishing the story already. XD
I'm going to finish it later today, after about 70 hours of playing. This time for sure. It's definitely the last quest. I'm already missing exploring such a a vast and beautiful world for the very first time. *sigh*

My only gripe regarding that area is that it is too brown. The jungle isn't really lush green. :/

Lol don't worry! :D I just decided to get more into the main story because I was curious about what was going on, I'm really loving what I've been seeing though. I'll probably go back to doing more side things tomorrow. Also I didn't really notice the rain forest being brown? Maybe it's the dust from the desert blowing in?

Chapstick

Lol don't worry! :D I just decided to get more into the main story because I was curious about what was going on, I'm really loving what I've been seeing though. I'll probably go back to doing more side things tomorrow. Also I didn't really notice the rain forest being brown? Maybe it's the dust from the desert blowing in?
I don't know if you're at the rainforest yet, it's the lower left corner of the map iirc

Jadeinchains

I don't know if you're at the rainforest yet, it's the lower left corner of the map iirc

Yeah I've discovered the rainforest... a lot of machines in there though. Next to Maridian? The next time I go there though I'll be looking for the brownish shade to it.

ShinobiGuy

Just have to share this, there was an echo :-O I'm just strolling around the mountains trying to safely come down, she slips a bit and says: "the quick way down" and there was just the slightest echo due to my surroundings. That was impressive.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I finished the game yesterday evening (Yaaay!! :D) and here's a my (spoiler free) review:

Story: 10/10

It's a fantastic and really well told story. You have three fully fleshed out story arcs: Aloy's personal story, the story of the current world and the story of the ancient world. By the end everything comes together really well as one epic tale.
It's imo one of (if not the) best story I have played in an open world game. A genre that definitely has problems telling good stories.
Horizon's is however very intriguing and captivating, always keeping the player focused. Aloy, the main character, is a strong personality, she is relatable and likable. I'm going to miss her but I have the feeling we will be seeing more of her in the future...
For comparison, I would rate the main story of The Witcher 3 a 9/10 and that of Final Fantasy XV a 6/10.

Gameplay: 9/10
It's a blast from beginning to end. The machines that you are fighting are wild and ferocious and they get only more and more aggressive and epic in variety and scale. You feel like a boss once you are able to take them down like a skillful hunter and not just barely outlasting them.
The best part is: You can take them down any way you want to. There are indefinite approaches. What always holds true though: Use your brain before you get going.
I wouldn't give the game a 10/10 in the gameplay department, because there were a few game mechanics that annoyed me and that were less thought-out.
Human enemies are pretty brain-dead unfortunately and there's the inventory upgrading system that was especially annoying until the end. My pouches were always full, it was always a pain not knowing what item I could actually sell and which one was useful for an outfit or weapon later. Finding the resources to upgrade your pouches also was a pain the ass.
I would rate the gameplay of The Witcher 3 a 10/10 and that of Final Fantasy XV a 8/10.

Game world: 10/10
Horizon features the most beautifully and carefully crafted game world that I have experienced so far. It even eclipses already very carefully crafted game worlds like the ones in The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion or The Witcher 3.
The scale of Horizon's world is immense and the variety of topography and climate zones is unmatched. From snowy mountains over autumnal valleys to rocky canyons to sand dunes to lush forests and overgrown jungles, everything is to be found in this world and it all blends perfectly together in one seamless world.
And that's just the nature. The remnants of our own civilization, the mysterious machine world and several tribes of the current civilization, all with their own distinct culture, make this world truly vivid, believable and immersive.
I would rate the world design of The Witcher 3 world also a 10/10 and that of Final Fantasy XV a 7/10.

Visuals: 10/10
This is by far the best looking game that I have seen. There are of course several PC games that beat Horizon in pure tech (higher resolution, framerate, crisper textures and so on), but as a complete package, including art and overall polish, it is unmatched at this point.
You basically can expect Uncharted 4's super polished visuals on an open world scale. Something I would not have thought was possible in this generation of consoles and PCs. Also, not just because of what is technically doable, but because of the huge amount of money and time, that Sony is willing to invest in its exlusive titles. There is simply no other game company/game developer that would be willing to foot a staggering bill like that.
I would rate the visuals of The Witcher 3 a 9/10 and that of Final Fantasy XV also a 9/10.

Music: 8/10
A really nice, evocative soundtrack. Apart from the iconic and haunting title theme it wasn't that remarkable though. It did a good job accentuating the game at all times but other than the title theme no track stood out and stayed in my memory now that I think about it.
I would rate the music of The Witcher 3 a 10/10 and that of Final Fantasy XV a 9/10.

All in all, the game exceeded my expectations. I was pretty hyped about it, I have to admit, but I didn't think it would actually scratch greatness. It's now one of my all time favorite RPGs. It does not quite reach The Witcher 3's genre defining brilliance (that game remains my absolute favorite) but Horizon came pretty close and in some aspects it actually did eclipse it.
In my opinion, and that of many other reviewers, every owner of a PS4 should own this game. It's Sony's best exclusive title.

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

I wanted to say that I've completed it too! :D I'm really happy I got this game, it really was amazing I don't know what the rest of the year will have with games but Horizon Zero Dawn is definitely deserving of praise.

The story was amazing! I don't know who's completed it so I won't get into spoilers but it was just so good, I just wanted to discover more and more stuff to see where it was going. And I agree Aloy was just such a great character, she was snarky when she needed to be but also caring and it just came of really well.

And I've said it before but the look of this game is just gorgeous and every character looked like they'd spent there time making every little detail of they're face unique and they're bodies. Not to mention so many characters in this were funny and likable.

The music and gameplay as well were great, I posted about it in thee art style thread but dodging an attack just as the area around you is destroyed by a Thunderjaw is just so good!

And the game world which is obviously really important impressed me a lot. Deserts and tundras and even rainforests all in the gameworld and the city is really cool, perched on the cliffs. ( I like that Aloy mentioned the smell of the city so you could get a better feel of it. )
It doesn't top the elder scrolls world/lore to me but that's a lore that can fill up 50,000 pages on a wikia and has been going for years so it didn't have to.

That said, in one game its already got me excited in its world and what might happen in it in the future and what happened in the past. ( the files did a great job for that. ) I can't think of a specific rating but its amazing regardless and I'd definitely recommend it!

Tyaren

Standard Donor
And I agree Aloy was just such a great character, she was snarky when she needed to be but also caring and it just came of really well.

She was. :) A really refreshing protagonist. I liked that she actually was the strong female protagonist that games today are always going on about but mostly never actually have. That she was a strong female was best shown in the fact that the game hardly ever cared what sex she is. It simply didn't matter. No one belittled her and she didn't need any love interest to complete her.
I also liked how angry and standoffish she was at points. But she was like that in the absolutely right moments. It always felt deserved and relatable.

It doesn't top the elder scrolls world/lore to me but that's a lore that can fill up 50,000 pages on a wikia and has been going for years so it didn't have to.

Hm...as a whole series of course. The Elder Scrolls had so much time and so many games to develop and expand its lore. But within just one single game, I think Horizon did a much better job. I learned and wanted to learn at lot more of the ancient world and the current world in Horizon than I learned and wanted to learn about the worlds of Oblivion or Skyrim. And I played both these games far longer than Horizon. Those were 100+ hours games, not a 60 hour game like Horizon. Everything is a lot denser packaged in there.
I really hope they expand this world further, in Horizon 2. They teased some very interesting stuff in quests or scripts, like the lands of the Forbidden West or Ban Ur, the mystical homelands of the Banuk.

By the way...how many hours did you actually play the game to complete it? XD

Also, great news: Horizon Zero Dawn is a hit!

Worldwide sales for Horizon: Zero Dawn exceeded 2.6 million units during its first two weeks of launch, Sony Interactive Entertainment announced.

The PlayStation 4 title was developed by Guerrilla Games and released worldwide starting February 28. It is the best-selling new first-party IP launch on PlayStation 4 to date and Guerrilla’s biggest ever debut.

http://gematsu.com/2017/03/horizon-zero-dawn-worldwide-sales-top-2-6-million

Absolutely deserved. :)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD