The Persona/Shin Megami Tensei Game Thread

UpSideDownGRUNT

Makoto has joined me in my game now, Ryuiji has pretty much become the Kanji of the group now lmao.

Fortunately though, there's a Confidant skill that let's even background characters gain exp so at least he won't be level 25 when everyone else level 50+

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
^ Wait, what? Are you saying that Kanji was a bench warmer in P4? If I remember correctly, Kanji was one of the best party members in P4. I believe the best team was having Kanji with Chie and then filling the last slot with either Yosuke or Naoto. Kanji and Chie demolished shit with physical attacks. Naoto was great at board wiping weenies, but was pretty lousy with boss fights. I don't really remember what was great about Yosuke. It may not have even been that he had anything particularly amazing, just that he was better than Teddie and Yukiko and could deal with bosses better than Naoto.

It's been years since I read into any of that though.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
20170407_175811.jpg
20170407_175839.jpg
....The coach is a fucking creep. Glad I'm done with him

UpSideDownGRUNT

^ Wait, what? Are you saying that Kanji was a bench warmer in P4? If I remember correctly, Kanji was one of the best party members in P4. I believe the best team was having Kanji with Chie and then filling the last slot with either Yosuke or Naoto. Kanji and Chie demolished shit with physical attacks. Naoto was great at board wiping weenies, but was pretty lousy with boss fights. I don't really remember what was great about Yosuke. It may not have even been that he had anything particularly amazing, just that he was better than Teddie and Yukiko and could deal with bosses better than Naoto.

It's been years since I read into any of that though.
I never used him or Yosuke tbf, my team was Yu, Chief, Yukiko as the main healer of the group since she had Diarama and Madiarama and stuff and Teddie purely because he had Taesto and I was sick of constantly buying Goho-Ms.

Its also worth noting I'm specifically talking about Vanilla Persona 4 before party members had skills unlock etc. So as You had Personas with Zionga and Mazio etc. I didn't see much reason to bring Kanji at all.

Although in Heaven I did try using Naoto, but I never got past Heaven because I'd get wrekt by Hama/Mudo spamming enemies

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I'm really liking the music. Shoji Meguro delivers as always. Been listening to this while I'm on the subway to work.
These are my favorite

This one makes me feel like a badass when I do hold ups

I also really like the BGM when Shiho does that horrible thing to herself, it's probably one of the darkest most somber tracks I've heard in a while, but it has a nice beat before it hits the more dramatic chords before it loops that makes it very listenable...wish I knew the name of the track so I could listen to it more, it's my favorite song in the game by far behind last surprise

edit: found it

Last edited:

KnacKrover

Last Surprise, Life will change and Beneath the mask are favorites so far. In my crazy opinion recently, I've think of cover version would be A. Grande, tho.

By the way. These are my top 3 finishers.
images

#1 Game Over! (bitch!)
images

#2 it's none of my business anyway...
images

#3 a stylish, viewtiful and fabulous finish!

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Last Surprise, Life will change and Beneath the mask are favorites so far. In my crazy opinion recently, I've think of cover version would be A. Grande, tho.

By the way. These are my top 3 finishers.
images

#1 Game Over! (bitch!)
images

#2 it's none of my business anyway...
images

#3 a stylish, viewtiful and fabulous finish!
Morgana my favorite too!! I like Anne's too as well, but mainly since I have a thing for cats in general lol

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I never used him or Yosuke tbf, my team was Yu, Chief, Yukiko as the main healer of the group since she had Diarama and Madiarama and stuff and Teddie purely because he had Taesto and I was sick of constantly buying Goho-Ms.

Its also worth noting I'm specifically talking about Vanilla Persona 4 before party members had skills unlock etc. So as You had Personas with Zionga and Mazio etc. I didn't see much reason to bring Kanji at all.

Ah, okay. Yeah, I don't know what all of the differences may have been in combat and/or the party members between P4 and P4G, but in P4G, physical damage was way better than magical damage. As a result, Kanji and Chie were the top dogs since they specialized in physical damage and had a ton of health.

Yukiko and Teddie had no real relevance whatsoever. Teddie simply had nothing and Yukiko's main use was basically just healing, which wasn't really needed since Kanji and Chie can just destroy everything pretty quickly and if you really need to heal, you can just use items or keep your own healing Persona on hand. Likewise, you can also keep a Persona with Agi damage on hand to cover Yukiko's absence in that regard as well.

As for Yosuke, I think his main goal was buffing and debuffing. While Kanji and Chie are doing work, you could have Yosuke constantly throw out buffs for them and debuffs for the enemy, which was extremely useful in boss fights. I believe I also had Yu do this a lot as well, while also dealing some additional damage when needed.

In my first playthrough, before I knew any of this, I used the exact opposite team lol. Teddie, Yukiko and Naoto. When I eventually played through it again for the platinum trophy, I read up on the best combat teams and ideas and found out that that was an awful team. So I switched to the recommended ideas and everything went by way more smoothly.

Although in Heaven I did try using Naoto, but I never got past Heaven because I'd get wrekt by Hama/Mudo spamming enemies

Naoto was fun against weenies because she could just one-shot entire mobs with one move. I don't recall which skill it was, but basically, the typical encounter would follow as such:

Begin battle > have Naoto use that skill > entire mob is dead in one hit > battle over/gain EXP

You could just keep doing that over and over throughout the dungeon until the boss fight.

SilverForte

Never played golden, but in p4 original yosuke was basically the best party member besides MC. He could pretty much do everything, plus sukukaja is the best buff in the game.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Ah, okay. Yeah, I don't know what all of the differences may have been in combat and/or the party members between P4 and P4G, but in P4G, physical damage was way better than magical damage. As a result, Kanji and Chie were the top dogs since they specialized in physical damage and had a ton of health.

Yukiko and Teddie had no real relevance whatsoever. Teddie simply had nothing and Yukiko's main use was basically just healing, which wasn't really needed since Kanji and Chie can just destroy everything pretty quickly and if you really need to heal, you can just use items or keep your own healing Persona on hand. Likewise, you can also keep a Persona with Agi damage on hand to cover Yukiko's absence in that regard as well.

As for Yosuke, I think his main goal was buffing and debuffing. While Kanji and Chie are doing work, you could have Yosuke constantly throw out buffs for them and debuffs for the enemy, which was extremely useful in boss fights. I believe I also had Yu do this a lot as well, while also dealing some additional damage when needed.

In my first playthrough, before I knew any of this, I used the exact opposite team lol. Teddie, Yukiko and Naoto. When I eventually played through it again for the platinum trophy, I read up on the best combat teams and ideas and found out that that was an awful team. So I switched to the recommended ideas and everything went by way more smoothly.

Naoto was fun against weenies because she could just one-shot entire mobs with one move. I don't recall which skill it was, but basically, the typical encounter would follow as such:

Begin battle > have Naoto use that skill > entire mob is dead in one hit > battle over/gain EXP

You could just keep doing that over and over throughout the dungeon until the boss fight.
Teddie had Traesto, in Golden that's super trivial but in Vanilla its SUPER valuable.

In Golden if you die you just start at the floor you died on but in vanilla you were forced to load your last save.

So Teddies Traesto ability was a literal life saver, I could just use small SP to return to entrance save and go back so if I did get an unfortunate enemy advantage I didn't have to redo the entire dungeon again.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
One mechanic I like about this game is that battles can be avoided entirely and the weak mechanic is useful for setting up hold ups...i swear hold ups are awesome, I sometimes just leave it on that screen so I can do phone stuff

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Compared to the other games, Confidants (I guess we could call it the social links in the game) plays a heavy importance here for gameplay than the previous games I noticed. Moon gives you more EXP rank for battles while Fortune provides more character trait bonuses like Proficiency, Guts, Charm and so on. Another gives you the option to swap party members within battle, Baton pass attacks, follow-up attacks with a party member if Joker hits the target, Endure etc.

The other games were pretty manageable with a standard playthrough for the most part without any social links. P5 however, might make you take it as an actual recommendation than something that's just pretty optional for just playing the game. If I had to put it in some other text, it's like the game encourages you to develop these links with people or making it obvious on suggestion. Not a bad thing.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Compared to the other games, Confidants (I guess we could call it the social links in the game) plays a heavy importance here for gameplay than the previous games I noticed. Fortune gives you more EXP/Money based on the rank for battles along with providing more character trait bonuses like Proficiency, Guts, Charm and so on. Another gives you the option to swap party members within battle, Baton pass attacks, follow-up attacks with a party member if Joker hits the target, Endure etc.

The other games were pretty manageable with a standard playthrough for the most part without any social links. P5 however, might make you take it as an actual recommendation than something that's just pretty optional for just playing the game.
Wait isn't it mishima having like rank two or three social link that give you extra experience? I think it's called his enthusiasm or something but it makes it much faster leveling up. Also yeah I love the extra turns, when I use a persona move and it says weak I try to do it to all opponents so I can end the battle without taking any damage, plus I hate being caught and being struck first...that sucks

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Wait isn't it mishima having like rank two or three social link that give you extra experience? I think it's called his enthusiasm or something but it makes it much faster leveling up. Also yeah I love the extra turns, when I use a persona move and it says weak I try to do it to all opponents so I can end the battle without taking any damage, plus I hate being caught and being struck first...that sucks

Whoops, edited my post to fix that. Turns out it was Mishima. P5 basically rubs Confidants upon you even though it's optional to make these links with people. You don't have to link with X or Y characters, but if you want the game to be naturally smooth for certain difficulties you might as well do them due to the benefits they provide.

@KasumiLover69 There were extra turns in the other ones too. P5 still happens to be the game where they strip some of the old stuff and place them into Confidants for you to earn them. Before you gained more EXP based on the shuffle mechanic cards after battles, since that's gone, the better way to gain more EXP now is off the arcana and finding a good spot that gives you the most.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD