Who's your favorite DOA character¿ and why¿

Brute

Standard Donor
Neither do I, but I know that the accompanying subtitles for that quote are "Puny Insect!". He didn't say that in DOA4 though, for some reason, but he did in DOAU and DOAD.
Yeah. IIRC, it was his only opening line in DOA2:U, so Tengu players got to hear it over, and over, and over... :p

Wow. I actually never new about that weapon. I didn't do anything with the Wooden Sword.
Oh man, you're missing out. It's my personal favorite. Such an unorthodox secret, and it's great against the Bast fiends.

ILYA✰

Christie!!!
Because she's a tough B*tch ;)

And also, it's a bit different of a feeling when you beat someone with Christie,
when compared to beating someone with for example Ryu.... :D

ILYA✰

ok maybe I wasn't clear enough, but I think many people agree that it's easier to beat someone with Ryu :DD

Edit: Just think about stats and tier for a second and you'll get where I'm coming from :D

Brute

Standard Donor
ok maybe I wasn't clear enough, but I think many people agree that it's easier to beat someone with Ryu :DD

Edit: Just think about stats and tier for a second and you'll get where I'm coming from :D
Right, but that's only really the case since DOA4 where he was buffed greatly. In DOA2 and 3, while definately not bad, I don't think Hayabusa is typically considered top tier. In DOA3 I'd say Christie and Ryu are pretty comparable in tier.

TakedaZX

Right, but that's only really the case since DOA4 where he was buffed greatly. In DOA2 and 3, while definately not bad, I don't think Hayabusa is typically considered top tier. In DOA3 I'd say Christie and Ryu are pretty comparable in tier.
It's funny. Only problems I've had with Ryu(Ever), is the fact that he's got more options from his ninpo stance, than Hayate does in Hayate-Gake...

Has he really gotten much better from 4 though?

Brute

Standard Donor
It's funny. Only problems I've had with Ryu(Ever), is the fact that he's got more options from his ninpo stance, than Hayate does in Hayate-Gake...
Has he really gotten much better from 4 though?
From the Alpha Demo of 5, he's actually been nerfed. Not immensely, but enough that it's more difficult to spam with him, and Izuna-experts have to jump through the extra input commands of his new counter-system.

I assume by "Ninpo stance" you're referring to the Ongyoin, and that replacing his handstand as a primary stance is really what boosted him up to top tier in 4 (though his speed seems increased too, but maybe I'm mistaken).
Hayate, imo, is still even more over-powered with higher damage and a list of aerial moves that seem to go unmatched. But, I seem to be mostly alone in that, as most consider Ryu the best fighter in 4.

TakedaZX

From the Alpha Demo of 5, he's actually been nerfed. Not immensely, but enough that it's more difficult to spam with him, and Izuna-experts have to jump through the extra input commands of his new counter-system.

I assume by "Ninpo stance" you're referring to the Ongyoin, and that replacing his handstand as a primary stance is really what boosted him up to top tier in 4 (though his speed seems increased too, but maybe I'm mistaken).
Hayate, imo, is still even more over-powered with higher damage and a list of aerial moves that seem to go unmatched. But, I seem to be mostly alone in that, as most consider Ryu the best fighter in 4.

I just call it ninpo(as do others)cause he says nin and in ninja gaiden blahblahetcetc. Yea I think were on the same page about that. Even still DOA4 was kinda fun even still. I loved the Hayate vs Ryu matchup but I just always felt at a disadvantage.I didn't think he was all that strong in DOA4, he wasn't bottom tier obviously.

I mean he was kind of a cross between Ein and Kasumi in a sense. He gains a bit more speed and mobility type moves while keeping some of his crushing blows and iconic launchers(like Fuijin(236p) 214k, 8p, 8k), and gaining some newer moves that show the signs of being a true user of the mugen teshin style(7k, 4kk, and even 66kkk which he and ayane share, as well as her version of 7k)
In all honesty, I'd love to see him pull off kasumi's 6pkk, I love that string with a passion.

When I honestly think about it, If I tried to match up some moves side by side from Hayabusa and Hayate, I'd probably come to the conclusion that they both have similar tools at their disposal... which I might actually do right now. Could be fun.

Brute

Standard Donor
I just call it ninpo(as do others)cause he says nin and in ninja gaiden blahblahetcetc.
Ah, makes sense. Good to know.

I mean he was kind of a cross between Ein and Kasumi in a sense. He gains a bit more speed and mobility type moves while keeping some of his crushing blows and iconic launchers(like Fuijin(236p) 214k, 8p, 8k), and gaining some newer moves that show the signs of being a true user of the mugen teshin style(7k, 4kk, and even 66kkk which he and ayane share, as well as her version of 7k)
In all honesty, I'd love to see him pull off kasumi's 6pkk, I love that string with a passion.
Well, Ayane used the Hajinmon sect variant but I do know what you mean. I always though of Hayate as a cross between Kasumi and Ayane, with a bit of Ryu/Ein in the mix.

When I honestly think about it, If I tried to match up some moves side by side from Hayabusa and Hayate, I'd probably come to the conclusion that they both have similar tools at their disposal... which I might actually do right now. Could be fun.
Hayate feels a bit more direct whereas Hayabusa seems to have better evasive moves, at least to me.

TakedaZX

Hayate feels a bit more direct whereas Hayabusa seems to have better evasive moves, at least to me.
Yea, that does explain it best actually.

Well, Ayane used the Hajinmon sect variant but I do know what you mean. I always though of Hayate as a cross between Kasumi and Ayane, with a bit of Ryu/Ein in the mix.
Yea, was referring to her BT version of 7k, cause it turns them both around in the air I believe.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor

Hayabusa is S tier in 2 and A tier in 3.1. Christie is low mid in 3.

xOmniCloudx

Originally it was Kasumi since I'm a fan of a lot of ninja female characters in fighting games (Taki, Maki, Mai and Kunimitsu before her) and I enjoyed her fighting style. But recently it's been moving more toward Hitomi. My guess is I've gotten sick of Kasumi's character and her fighting style has gotten a bit tired for me and not as fitting as it once was. I was VERY fond of Ein's fighting style and since Hitomi is very similar to him that's probably why she takes the place of both of them and has become my new favorite.

I was also very fond of Lei-Fang due to how different her fighting style is to what I normally use. She can be melee heavy but she has a more counter oriented style of gameplay and the version of it in DOA was more appealing to me than in other fighters.

Lastly, Tina since DOA3 has grown on me but I never gave her much though. Reasons being, I've never been big on grapplers (besides the Kings in Tekken but that was more for fun and not seriously) but her style I feel mixes up melee and grappling nice. Plus, since she can ground throw as of DOA3 (I believe) she had more ways for me to attack with ad became a fun character to play.

I like Ryu a lot since he's a bad-ass but his style just isn't comfortable for me to play with. Similar with Hayate and (as of now) Christie as well. Looking forward to trying out Rig, try out Kokoro properly as well as see how Akira, Sarah and Pai translate into this game from VF.

Overall I like characters that are speedy to at least an extent but give me some options in several scenarios as opposed to being a shenanigan character or slow character that gives big damage or is a straight out grappler with limited melee game.

Brute

Standard Donor
I like Ryu a lot since he's a bad-ass but his style just isn't comfortable for me to play with. Similar with Hayate and (as of now) Christie as well. Looking forward to trying out Rig, try out Kokoro properly as well as see how Akira, Sarah and Pai translate into this game from VF.
Overall I like characters that are speedy to at least an extent but give me some options in several scenarios as opposed to being a shenanigan character or slow character that gives big damage or is a straight out grappler with limited melee game.
That's an interesting take, as Hayabusa and Hayate are some of the faster characters, imo, and both are good at mix-ups games and find themselves effective in a broad range of scenarios (particularly Hayabusa).

xOmniCloudx

That's an interesting take, as Hayabusa and Hayate are some of the faster characters, imo, and both are good at mix-ups games and find themselves effective in a broad range of scenarios (particularly Hayabusa).

All the ninjas seem fast to me but I don't know their frame data in this game so don't really know for sure. But all of them besides Kasumi have just felt really awkward to play over the years. In terms of comfort of playing it's been, Kasumi > Hayate = Ayane > Ryu

Brute

Standard Donor
All the ninjas seem fast to me but I don't know their frame data in this game so don't really know for sure. But all of them besides Kasumi have just felt really awkward to play over the years. In terms of comfort of playing it's been, Kasumi > Hayate = Ayane > Ryu
So strange. Ryu is easily the most comfortable all-around for me. For instance, his up attacks always attack high, aiming for stuns and launches, his down or down-forward inputs always strike low, and generally whatever buttons you press will chain into some combo indicative of what you want, even if you don't know his moveset (even though I now do very well).

But, to each their own. I love this about the game. There's no universal "best" character because certain ones just FEEL right to certain people.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Renarism said:
Tina and Leifang are my favorites.

They closely resemble myself out of the entire cast I suppose ;)
...by resemble I mean personality wise.

why are you stalking me sir...lol. Those are my faves as well!

Dr_Tom

Hitomi is my favorite character in DoA. Funny thing is, she's never been my main. I hated her at first when I picked up DoA3, and got into DoA2:U. But somewhere a long the way I grew to really like her. She became my secondary in 2:U and 4(for the month I played it...I really hated 4) behind Kasumi and Helena respectively. After Hitomi it's closely followed by Lei-Fang and Helena.

Hitomi is one of my favorite fighting game characters period with Lili(Tekken) and Talim(Soul Calibur 2)

Awesmic

Standard Donor
In 2001, I hear the next DOA game makes the biggest gamble in console-shifting to a console I know little about. I grew with worry, believing the series won't make much profit outside of PS2, where a variety of fighters were prominent and more established. November came, and DOA3 was among the launch titles to represent the new console's premier fighting game. That console was the Xbox. I saw no advertisements prior to the game's release, and bought and played the game on blind faith, with doubts on the back of my mind that I would be playing a flawed final product. I was proven wrong. Not only was the game flawless in presentation and graphics, the gameplay was just as I remembered it. I tried out one of the newest characters, Christie, to begin. Not only was her looks and her measurements interesting, she seemed to play a bit like Lion Rafale from the Virtua Fighter series, and my curiosity about her only grew with each moment I played her. After five minutes, I was on the verge of defeating the final boss. Initially, I believed the game would still have those lackluster in-game graphics endings. Much to my surprise, the game instead used full CGI endings. To think the first character I played would have a sexy brief shower scene shocked and surprised me, especially given the previous content of the endings of the past games.[/SIZE]

After seeing this, and hearing incredible news on how many units were sold, I was proud to be an Xbox owner, and never doubted Microsoft's potential ever since. In addition, Christie became my new favorite in the series. It also helped that her voice actress - Kotono Mitsuishi - is a legend in Japan. I liked the character so much that I went out of my way to buy the Platinum Hits version copy of the same game just because Christie was on the dad-gummed cover, which I honestly wasn't expecting.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD