1.20 Requires PS4 Players to Pay Tickets Each Time a Hair Color Change Is Done

UPDATE 3/6/2020: Team NINJA tweeted an official apology to the fighters and stated that they were working on a better alternative to distribute hair colors. So players are encouraged to not purchase anymore colors until the issue has been rectified. The big hope is that players are able to use their perpetual pile of in-game currency to purchase & swap hair colors.

UPDATE 3/1/2020: While we wait for an official response from Koei Tecmo the mainstream press has started dismantling the "bizarre" business practices of the company. YouTuber, YongYea and Kotaku have also recently joined the fight against Koei Tecmo for their poor treatment to dedicated players.

UPDATE 2/25/2020: We here at Free Step Dodge have received word from a Team NINJA representative that the present functionality of requiring the player to purchase a hair color even if previously purchased is by design. At this time, if you would like to share your feedback to Team NINJA and KOEI TECMO, you have a few options available to you. It would be great if feedback was given by everyone and in any form of content about this situation if capable. Forms of content include but are not limited to Articles, Video, Images, Posts, or Streams. Always tag the company and game's official accounts and use big text in each of the posting. Also here are the Customer Support links as well:

NA Customer support https://koeitecmoamerica.com/support
EU Costumer Support https://koeitecmo.info/inquiry/kte
ASIA Customer Support http://www.gamecity.com.tw/html/support/index.html

For those planning on doing this, sooner is always better than later.

UPDATE 2/24/2020: The PlayStation 4 version of the game currently forces players to repurchase any previously purchased colors, and it requires you to spend Player Points to set the hair color to the character's original hair color. Team NINJA has not yet responded officially to questions. Please do not purchase alternate colors at the moment as we await confirmation from Team NINJA that this is designed functionality. This article will be updated as further news comes in.

A few weeks ago Team NINJA supplied us with their biggest free update for Dead or Alive 6 yet, and now that 1.20 has released we can see that Team NINJA is using this update to focus on cosmetics and new collaborative DLCs from the Atelier Ryza & Gust franchises plus hair color changing functionality exclusively to PS4. 1.20 which released the 25th of February. Judging by one of Team NINJA's recent Tweets, there will be some bug fixes, but real game changes are being reserved for another month. Like always this story will evolve over time with more information and news!

The added hair colors initially ignited some hype from the DOA community, but they are not releasing without an intense controversy that we haven't seen in the Dead or Alive community for years. If you jump through a few hoops to mod hair color changes on PC you can comfortably change your character's hair color to any hue imaginable. From Team NINJA, this feature is set to launch exclusively to PS4 for the exchange of 'Premium Tickets.' We reached out to Team NINJA for confirmation on exclusivity to this feature and they've responded to reinstate that hair color swapping will not be coming to the XBOX ONE or Steam platforms.

With all of this being said, it shouldn't come off as too much of a surprise as they introduced hair color changes with Dead or Alive 5 and Lisa's silver hair is also currently available in Dead or Alive 6. Pricing has been revealed to be one (1) Premium Ticket for each color and due to the fact you must reset the hair color, it creates a huge monetized obstacle for all of DOAs dedicated players.

The Gust & Ryza collaborative outfits look classy & tasteful compared to the consistent bikinis, and new titles have been added in an event that is similar to DOA6s Dumbbell Collaboration last year. While this is not the update gameplay purists are looking for, you can expect more big changes around the release of the Venus Vacation character next month.

Last edited:
Not Japan-specific, par se, but the vast majority of guys I know here, (HK, Japan, Taiwan, Asia in general,) are busy drooling over the Tamaki trailer. Most of the serious DoA players I used to spar with have moved on to other series.

You'd think that they wouldn't give a shit as they've already got her in a game where she looks much better, has way more outfits, and they don't have to worry about her getting punched in the beauty spot. But I mean, this isn't even about the more "serious side", the outrage here is about hair colour and/or poor business practices after all. Why would anyone be ok with paying everytime you change a colour? Are all those ppl so rich that they can just mail KT a check every day for the hell of it?

Why would anyone be ok with paying everytime you change a colour?
The remaining majority fanbase deals with gacha products on a daily basis. Hair dye tickets are the likely the least offensive RMT they're subjected to by their current selection of 'gaming' titles.

I wouldn’t say that. If you check the Japanese responses (not the google translate ones from westerners, I can tell), They’re all angry too. Search the keywords and you can find a few ch threads about the greed too. It’s definitely been seen as a step further at least by some.

Here are some translations of what people are saying on the DOA6 5ch thread:

"Amazing. Can you really not buy all colours? And to think they took 5GBs just to put this awful feature in. They must be crazy"

"I saw on Twitter that the DOA crowd was complaining again and thought 'oh, they've done something again?' When I saw it I had to laugh at how bad it was. At the least they could let season pass owners change at will as a bonus. Considering they also don't put revival in the SP... what a scary company."

"Even though they should be treating people still seriously playing DOA as well as possible, they're aiming at their pockets with every update; what a joke. Do Team Ninja want to get rid of their fans?"

"To think that they would do something like this to ruin the announcement of the new character their fans, who ignored all the controversies and kept playing, were looking forward to... this developer has something wrong with them"

"The ordinary person would be too shocked to respond to an update like this. I thought for sure you could get the right to all colours for about 300 yen for your favourite characters and change all you wanted."

"I've never seen a DLC you couldn't get all of like this before. And it's just for changing hair colours! The Atelier costumes are also up in price, but they're hand-me-downs revivals from 5"

"Is anyone going to buy this? And since it's PS4 only there can't be much profit in this. This is nothing but a DLC to further reduce the reputation of the game. What on earth is going on with DOA6?"

"What's wrong is that people really will buy it. The same with the season pass; some people can't help themselves and act like they need to buy everything or they'll die."

"Naturally I won't buy any rental system nonsense like this. You need to buy again if you've returned to the original colour? What kind of stupidity is that?"

Here are some translations of what people are saying on the DOA6 5ch thread:

"Amazing. Can you really not buy all colours? And to think they took 5GBs just to put this awful feature in. They must be crazy"

"I saw on Twitter that the DOA crowd was complaining again and thought 'oh, they've done something again?' When I saw it I had to laugh at how bad it was. At the least they could let season pass owners change at will as a bonus. Considering they also don't put revival in the SP... what a scary company."

"Even though they should be treating people still seriously playing DOA as well as possible, they're aiming at their pockets with every update; what a joke. Do Team Ninja want to get rid of their fans?"

"To think that they would do something like this to ruin the announcement of the new character their fans, who ignored all the controversies and kept playing, were looking forward to... this developer has something wrong with them"

"The ordinary person would be too shocked to respond to an update like this. I thought for sure you could get the right to all colours for about 300 yen for your favourite characters and change all you wanted."

"I've never seen a DLC you couldn't get all of like this before. And it's just for changing hair colours! The Atelier costumes are also up in price, but they're hand-me-downs revivals from 5"

"Is anyone going to buy this? And since it's PS4 only there can't be much profit in this. This is nothing but a DLC to further reduce the reputation of the game. What on earth is going on with DOA6?"

"What's wrong is that people really will buy it. The same with the season pass; some people can't help themselves and act like they need to buy everything or they'll die."

"Naturally I won't buy any rental system nonsense like this. You need to buy again if you've returned to the original colour? What kind of stupidity is that?"

According to someone here the Japanese players were "eating this up." Looks to me like they are chewing it up and spitting it out. XD

I don't know why but negative commentary from Japanese fans tends to come off as hilarious. Like, "This developer has something wrong with them." (picturing: ¬_¬' "Have they tried to see a psychiatrist about this?")

XD

According to someone here the Japanese players were "eating this up."
In my experience, most of them are. Take a look at the twitter account threads from KT, 4gamers, famitsu, dengeki, etc.
Keep in mind it's just one thread on one site. But yeah it was pretty negative there lol.
Netizen dens like *ch almost always are, tho, let's be honest. Often they're the loyalist of fans, who've been milked to the greatest individual degree. How representative of the actual majority fan their users are now is a question places like here could do with asking itself, too.

this tweet is also full of negative JP responses:
"What? It's not free? Greedy as ever, I see (lol). Even though this sort of function is free from other developers..."
The only positive comment is someone saying black hair suits Marie (and she had a black costume already in 5 lol).

But I don't think it matters. They've already doubled down so it must be working for them. All we can do is be as loud as we can and hope the JP side is too.

in order for tn to get the message, it has to result from a substantial amount of revenue lost from its dlc not selling. Sadly no matter the price they state it for people will always buy whether they are whales or huge fans. Till everyone starts to take an action, the situation isn't never going to get better.

this tweet is also full of negative JP responses:
Between the Tamaki announce, the patch breakdown, and the colour change scheme explanation, (double down, if you will,) the doa6jp account has gotten around 1,500 likes. There's gotta be 40-60 complaints not from westerners written in Japanese on the same content.

I mean, people are posting some negative stuff, sure. But the same threads and hashtags are loaded with likes, wwwwaaaa's, and spin off to streams of pictures of colour changes in game.

*shrugs*

Take it as you will, but I'm seeing a lot of happy people.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD