1.20 Requires PS4 Players to Pay Tickets Each Time a Hair Color Change Is Done

UPDATE 3/6/2020: Team NINJA tweeted an official apology to the fighters and stated that they were working on a better alternative to distribute hair colors. So players are encouraged to not purchase anymore colors until the issue has been rectified. The big hope is that players are able to use their perpetual pile of in-game currency to purchase & swap hair colors.

UPDATE 3/1/2020: While we wait for an official response from Koei Tecmo the mainstream press has started dismantling the "bizarre" business practices of the company. YouTuber, YongYea and Kotaku have also recently joined the fight against Koei Tecmo for their poor treatment to dedicated players.

UPDATE 2/25/2020: We here at Free Step Dodge have received word from a Team NINJA representative that the present functionality of requiring the player to purchase a hair color even if previously purchased is by design. At this time, if you would like to share your feedback to Team NINJA and KOEI TECMO, you have a few options available to you. It would be great if feedback was given by everyone and in any form of content about this situation if capable. Forms of content include but are not limited to Articles, Video, Images, Posts, or Streams. Always tag the company and game's official accounts and use big text in each of the posting. Also here are the Customer Support links as well:

NA Customer support https://koeitecmoamerica.com/support
EU Costumer Support https://koeitecmo.info/inquiry/kte
ASIA Customer Support http://www.gamecity.com.tw/html/support/index.html

For those planning on doing this, sooner is always better than later.

UPDATE 2/24/2020: The PlayStation 4 version of the game currently forces players to repurchase any previously purchased colors, and it requires you to spend Player Points to set the hair color to the character's original hair color. Team NINJA has not yet responded officially to questions. Please do not purchase alternate colors at the moment as we await confirmation from Team NINJA that this is designed functionality. This article will be updated as further news comes in.

A few weeks ago Team NINJA supplied us with their biggest free update for Dead or Alive 6 yet, and now that 1.20 has released we can see that Team NINJA is using this update to focus on cosmetics and new collaborative DLCs from the Atelier Ryza & Gust franchises plus hair color changing functionality exclusively to PS4. 1.20 which released the 25th of February. Judging by one of Team NINJA's recent Tweets, there will be some bug fixes, but real game changes are being reserved for another month. Like always this story will evolve over time with more information and news!

The added hair colors initially ignited some hype from the DOA community, but they are not releasing without an intense controversy that we haven't seen in the Dead or Alive community for years. If you jump through a few hoops to mod hair color changes on PC you can comfortably change your character's hair color to any hue imaginable. From Team NINJA, this feature is set to launch exclusively to PS4 for the exchange of 'Premium Tickets.' We reached out to Team NINJA for confirmation on exclusivity to this feature and they've responded to reinstate that hair color swapping will not be coming to the XBOX ONE or Steam platforms.

With all of this being said, it shouldn't come off as too much of a surprise as they introduced hair color changes with Dead or Alive 5 and Lisa's silver hair is also currently available in Dead or Alive 6. Pricing has been revealed to be one (1) Premium Ticket for each color and due to the fact you must reset the hair color, it creates a huge monetized obstacle for all of DOAs dedicated players.

The Gust & Ryza collaborative outfits look classy & tasteful compared to the consistent bikinis, and new titles have been added in an event that is similar to DOA6s Dumbbell Collaboration last year. While this is not the update gameplay purists are looking for, you can expect more big changes around the release of the Venus Vacation character next month.

Last edited:
Also, I know most of the active players here might not be fond of Discord but Koei Tecmo has two official servers where the community managers interact from time to time

KT US: discord.gg/KTFamily

KT EU: discord.gg/KTEurope

I actually know the personal handle of one of them but I don't wanna risk them getting unwarranted hate on a personal account. The best we can do is keep contacting game outlets and dropping those articles on the DOA6 channel.

Good stuff so far guys but be careful of the articles serving as excuses for why people didn't support DOA in the first place, which just makes the DOA series look bad in general.

Good stuff so far guys but be careful of the articles serving as excuses for why people didn't support DOA in the first place, which just makes the DOA series look bad in general.
Polygon did their research, they even namedrop FSD at the end of the article
Capture.PNG

Good stuff. The more outlets cover it, the more the word gets out. I contacted Gematsu also, which is like Siliconera but seems to have more readers, but after nearly 24h I have seen no response from them. Maybe I'll mail them the Polygon article, which is actually a pretty big outlet (even though it doesn't have a great rep with some gamers... not as bad as resetera though).

I feel that too. I try to respond to those people directly when I can, tell them to at least try DoA5LR if they haven't yet. But in good faith, I can't tell them to just play DoA6 anyways. I can inform them that Core Fighters is available for them to try for free, which characters are available, and the cost of buying one character, and tell them some updates have improved the gameplay a little, but other than that it's tough. DoA6 is supported by the most forgiving, most patient, and the most passionate of fans, honestly (or newcomers to the series or FGs in general who don't know better, lol). Aside from the horrible DLC practices, the game has the worst input delay among all released FGs tested... I'll always stand up for this series and games like DoA5LR but it's tough for me to stand up for DoA6 right now.

(edited for missing word)

Last edited:
@MacSplicer mentioned hairgate on the last episode of his podcast (24:39) and quoted @deathofaninja 's article. I think he misunderstood the deadline that KT gave the customer, though. Could a native speaker please check his video at 25:42?

Also the whole episode is about voting with your wallet.

@Anura Yeah, I think he and actually other people are misunderstanding that part of the response on Koei Tecmo's support page. You can respond again on the open support page. I have. They didn't respond back to me again though, lol. It seems like the support page remains open for one month for you to answer but, at least in these cases, in their first response they've basically told us that they feel they've given us an adequate response and have left the conversation, so they won't reply again even if we post more messages for the rest of the month. I also think he got the price of premium tickets wrong too, didn't he? Not a PS4 player so I don't know. I'm sure it's more than just a dollar per ticket, right?

I think that they have explained that using a ticket literally every time you change the colour of any hair style, even if it's to a colour you've payed for before, and that it's intentionally by design, and that we should understand and accept that... that's enough to be mad about.

Anyways, I appreciate anyone out there reporting about this to their readers/listeners/viewers, especially when they're not even fans but just supporting us anyways because they see this as a clear case of gamers/consumers getting taken advantage of, but it would be wise to make sure they have the facts straight and explain it properly. That can risk the spreading of information ending up like a game of Telephone.

Last edited:
Crap, that even nearly 1/4th of people of people voting so far aren't bothered by this is a little disappointing. Hopefully their slice of the pie gets smaller as more people vote.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know, but still, it should be more like 85% at least, imo, lol. I think the problem isn't just whales or people who want KT to keep going with what they're doing, but also people who aren't taking this seriously because it's hair colours.

It's a clear 80% vs 20% right now though :D that's more like it. 4/5 are not happy about this.

Btw, I use #doa6 #savedoa6 #boycottdoa6dlc on my tweets. I just started putting #doa6, I should have done it before.

edit: spelling ("botcott", oh fittlesticks, lol)

Last edited:

I can't tell if this is good or bad. He is a bit of a wildcard.

EDIT:

@Matt Ponton

Nice to see he's joining in on the criticism but the bit about people whining about butt nerf was kinda inappropriate; he sides with fans on the hair colour change but then makes fun of them for complaining about smaller asses :rolleyes:.

Still, him weighing in on the scandal means more people are starting to notice...

Btw, I use #doa6 #savedoa6 #botcottdoa6dlc on my tweets. I just started putting #doa6, I should have done it before.

Would you guys be ready to use #NoTamaki or #SorryTamaki ? I believe this would be the worst publicity they can get. Using a hyped DLC to ruin their reputation.

Okay, listen :
I truly love the character of Tamaki. <3
I know this can sound a bit extremist.
I reckon some players'd buy her anyway.

BUT

Like if they don't give an answer until then, my rage will explode...
Like "I won't let these bastards Donovan... erm... Koei have their way"...
Like some juicy butt can convert my gay brain & buy social peace...

Last edited:
@Project Bokuho

Oh crap, I spelled it "botcott", lol, well I fixed it now. And when I say "boycottdoa6dlc", i mean all dlc, which includes Tamaki. NoTamaki would be more obvious in regards to Tamaki specifically though. I'll throw it in if I have the space, which I usually do. Though, if you really like Tamaki, you risk giving them the idea that we don't want more characters like her....

I don't know how much impact we'll have though either way, but we have to keep trying. I see so many players outside of the community on twitter who give no shits and are showing off all their new hair colours. Going by the poll results so far, though, they may really be a minority (or some ppl on the poll may be lying, lol). I think the majority of people who see they have to spend a ticket literally every time they change a hair colour would be pissed off, regardless if they're asked to think about it or not. They might have to burn their hands buying 1 or 2 before realizing it first, though. That's one thing I particularly like about Jim's video, he kept driving home how stupid it is if you actually pay up, like "why would you accept this? have some dignity!", lol.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD