Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronin

Most harem anime are ecchi. If they're not ecchi, they're freakin FEELS anime.

You are right, but this happens overall now. In the past the sexy element wasn't ever present or when it was, the amount was much more limited compared to many works of these days (try to compare "Love Hina" or "Ichigo 100%" with "To Love-Ru"). It's true that nowadays seem that the ecchi element is a rule that has to be necessarily present if a work is a romantic comedy, while it's absent only when even with an "harem" everything is treated seriously (for example "Toradora").

Mayor-Of-Mustard

You are right, but this happens overall now. In the past the sexy element wasn't ever present or when it was, the amount was much more limited compared to many works of these days (try to compare Love Hina or Ichigo 100% with To Love-Ru). It's true that nowadays seem that the ecchi element is a rule that has to be necessarily present if a work is a romantic comedy, while it's absent only when everything is treated seriously (for example "Toradora").
Ooooh ok I kinda don't really watch japanese animus that much well i recently watched dramatical murder and only the OVA was ecchi (actually it was more like censored hentai) but you seem to know your stuff lol. The last romantic comedy I watched was probs Heaven's Lost Property, and that was well good because they WERE serious at the serious parts

Tyaren

Standard Donor
But, a costume collaboration with the author is...telling.

After Marie Rose, Honoka, the collaborations with Senran Kagura, World God Only Knows, loads of fetish and swimwear DLC for years as well as the private paradises, it is very telling, in what direction Team Ninja is going with the DOA franchise. They obviously have long abandoned the wish, to market the game as a serious fighter. More than ever it is: sex sells...and lots of animu cutesy stuff as well. :/

Kronin

Ooooh ok I kinda don't really watch japanese animus that much well i recently watched dramatical murder and only the OVA was ecchi (actually it was more like censored hentai) but you seem to know your stuff lol. The last romantic comedy I watched was probs Heaven's Lost Property, and that was well good because they WERE serious at the serious parts

I was just stating my opinion, in no way I wanted denigrate your one or say that it's not valid, don't misunderstand me =)
I read or watched some works of the genre but I'm not an expert of it :p If something is more likely for me to see/read works that are focused on more matters included - and not alone - the love in a serious way.

And now better close another of my off topics :p

After Marie Rose, Honoka, the collaborations with Senran Kagura, World God Only Knows, loads of fetish and swimwear DLC for years as well as the private paradises, it is very telling, in what direction Team Ninja is going with the DOA franchise. They obviously have long abandoned the wish, to market the game as a serious fighter. More than ever it is: sex sells...and lots of animu cutesy stuff as well. :/

The game is marketed as a serious fighter but only on the technical aspects, from patches to the Battle Royal tourneys and monetary support promoted on their site and social networks: however for the casual side they want satisfy directly the Japanese side, very likely because they are the most interested in the matter or rather because, in the end, the reality is that the tastes of the worldwide fanbase wish for the most the same things. Sadly seems that KT want only follow the money route with DoA without caring for giving it another image, but from a marketing point it's pretty realistic to think that this is the path that will give more benefits to them, at least in the short time. For the good or for the bad they are doing it for a logical reason, a portion of the fans can disagree with it (included me for certain aspects), but from a producer pov is not necessarily a bad thing: they are getting revenues following this route, however has to be seen if leaving this image to the game will be a good move or less.

I believe - but I'm not sure if KT is of the same opinion - that what is damaging them is more the choices made behind the PC support than the DLC matter, but this just because this is an element that influence directly the financial aspect (and apparently this seems to be their only care just like I said).

Last edited:

SoftCabbage

Nah. Why so serious. Too serious until characters have no expression like last time is also no fun.

This game is Sexy Lovely Awesome Fighting Game :p

Argentus

Nah. Why so serious. Too serious until characters have no expression like last time is also no fun.

This game is Sexy Lovely Awesome Fighting Game :p
Its fucking obnoxious, is what it is.

DOA went from one of the most beautiful fighters out there (1-4), to boring and gritty (5V), to fucking ew with all the bikinis and lolis and moes and innuendo and fetish packs.

It still blows my mind that DOA went above and beyond its own stereotypes. Which, ironically, were undeserved outside of the volleyball spinoffs before 5.

Me want Kasumi

DOA has had sexual female designs with big breast and breast flopping around as well as revealing fetish costumes (yes even swimsuits) since DOA1, so idk why people try to make it seem as if stuff like this is new to DOA.

My advice is either like it, learn to deal with it, ignore it, or just don't play it at all. Whining about it every second like a bunch of schoolgirls won't do anything except waste your breath.
im-just-sayin.gif

Last edited:

Xhominid The Demon Within

Its fucking obnoxious, is what it is.

DOA went from one of the most beautiful fighters out there (1-4), to boring and gritty (5V), to fucking ew with all the bikinis and lolis and moes and innuendo and fetish packs.

It still blows my mind that DOA went above and beyond its own stereotypes. Which, ironically, were undeserved outside of the volleyball spinoffs before 5.

You know what? This honestly gave me an epiphany...not just about the DOA fans, but fighting game fans in the West in general:

It feels like we are trying desperately to prove something.
Let's look past the DOA costume stuff for now and let's look at Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken and Soul Calibur.
Street Fighter V had people whining and complaining about something so erroneous that it could spell disaster for them. What was that? The glitch if a female is at the 2P side(let alone the increased jiggle before that). Or the fact that Rainbow Mika may be a playable character, or in GAMEfaqs case that Cammy needs to stop wearing her leotard...

It's the same thing with Tekken in how everyone is complaining about the increased focus on the females and their fanservicy costumes(Catalina, Lucky Chloe, Josie) and if left unchecked will kill off their game's rep.

It's also the same thing with Mortal Kombat and giving women realistic proportions(while yes there was plenty of fought against it, plenty more fought for it believing it would make their game legit).

And Soulcalibur Lost Swords in general...

I feel like every single time, the western community mainly tries so damn hard to be taken seriously...they forget they are playing games. Who honestly will give a fuck about any of these at all in a high stakes match? What, you scared that kid may snicker and demean you because he's acting like a child? That adult make act like an immature manchild who believes he's better than you because he plays the "superior" game?

I have seriously seen this for the last year with everyone tripping over backwards to not be the next DOA or the next fanservice game...and you don't even realize it makes you and them look completely foolish, let alone childish.
I have stated it before and again: You don't need to support the costumes one iota, but trying to pretend they don't exist or demean your game to please others is not going to win you favors ever. Stick by your game, you may not like what is happening but it's better than trying to play kissass to manchildren who pretend their game is better than another because of random nonsense.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be waiting on the next time people whine again like children because "Too much jiggle".

DOA has had sexual female designs with big breast and breast flopping around as well as revealing fetish costumes (yes even swimsuits) since DOA1, so idk why people try to make it seem as if stuff like this is new to DOA.

My advice is either like it, learn to deal with it, ignore it, or just don't play it at all. Whining about it every second like a bunch of schoolgirls won't do anything except waste your breath.
im-just-sayin.gif
Whining like a bunch of "schoolgirls" got us Ein, Raidou, Leon, Tengu, and despite some complaining, a string of pretty good costume DLC. Pretty sure its helping somewhat.

KasumiLover

Nightseekers_
Premium Donor
Whining like a bunch of "schoolgirls" got us Ein, Raidou, Leon, Tengu, and despite some complaining, a string of pretty good costume DLC. Pretty sure its helping somewhat.
Weren't Ein and Leon supposed to be in vanilla DOA5 to begin with? I remember hearing that time constraints was why they couldn't make it in. The DLC is somewhat understandable, because as Kronin stated, the DLC is aimed at the Japanese market, because that's who the game was for to begin with. I thank my lucky stars that Team Ninja was nice enough to make the game for the western market as well.

1. Leon was a mistake by Hayashi believing no one wanted him and Ein was supposed to be in the game as stated above.

2. Last time I checked, you guys wanted Bankotsubo, not Nyo and I remember what happened after that(P.S. it was not pretty at all) and Raidou I'll give you.

3. The costumes again I can give you but you also have to admit stuff like the Costume contests does NOT make the points look better.

Me want Kasumi

There is a difference between requesting something like a civilized fan and whining like a schoolgirl (which honestly is a nicer way to say mitch).
5be4911034f938a216dd886a34d362e9.jpg

giphy.gif

Btw Leon and Ein were going to be in the game anyway just in the next installment (and Leon was suppose to be in DOA5 vanilla). Also Tengu is replaced by NyoTengu now. Also if by "good" dlc you mean dlc with conservative female outfits and packs that catter to man-children then there are barely any of those lol, people keep complaining but TN still don't give a f*** about mitch's (even that unnecessary ban for sexy/"sexy" clothing didn't make them become a sellouts) .

Btw for those who don't know what a mitch is

Your welcome

Last edited:

Argentus

You are right, but this happens overall now. In the past the sexy element wasn't ever present or when it was, the amount was much more limited compared to many works of these days (try to compare "Love Hina" or "Ichigo 100%" with "To Love-Ru"). It's true that nowadays seem that the ecchi element is a rule that has to be necessarily present if a work is a romantic comedy, while it's absent only when even with an "harem" everything is treated seriously (for example "Toradora").
To be fair, in harem anime the ecchi/fan service is usually used more for comedy than actual sexual content.

Like in Daily Life with Monster Girl, so much nudity and sexual content, but its done in a way that's more hilarious than hot.

Of course that's still in contrast to say, love hina which had virtually no nudity.

im-just-sayin.gif
Had them since doa1? Yes, but they were just....there before. Just a couple token "sexy" costumes, as with any game, and nothing more.

Come 5U however, and suddenly that's all the games about. That's all they promote, and that's all they release. That's bullshit.

You know what? This honestly gave me an epiphany...not just about the DOA fans, but fighting game fans in the West in general:

It feels like we are trying desperately to prove something.
Let's look past the DOA costume stuff for now and let's look at Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken and Soul Calibur.
Street Fighter V had people whining and complaining about something so erroneous that it could spell disaster for them. What was that? The glitch if a female is at the 2P side(let alone the increased jiggle before that). Or the fact that Rainbow Mika may be a playable character, or in GAMEfaqs case that Cammy needs to stop wearing her leotard...

It's the same thing with Tekken in how everyone is complaining about the increased focus on the females and their fanservicy costumes(Catalina, Lucky Chloe, Josie) and if left unchecked will kill off their game's rep.

It's also the same thing with Mortal Kombat and giving women realistic proportions(while yes there was plenty of fought against it, plenty more fought for it believing it would make their game legit).

And Soulcalibur Lost Swords in general...

I feel like every single time, the western community mainly tries so damn hard to be taken seriously...they forget they are playing games. Who honestly will give a fuck about any of these at all in a high stakes match? What, you scared that kid may snicker and demean you because he's acting like a child? That adult make act like an immature manchild who believes he's better than you because he plays the "superior" game?

I have seriously seen this for the last year with everyone tripping over backwards to not be the next DOA or the next fanservice game...and you don't even realize it makes you and them look completely foolish, let alone childish.
I have stated it before and again: You don't need to support the costumes one iota, but trying to pretend they don't exist or demean your game to please others is not going to win you favors ever. Stick by your game, you may not like what is happening but it's better than trying to play kissass to manchildren who pretend their game is better than another because of random nonsense.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be waiting on the next time people whine again like children because "Too much jiggle".
In my case at least, its just irritating because up until 5, when people tried to complain that DOA was just fan service and tits, I could point to most other fighters, and honestly say DOA is nowhere near as bad as say, KoF or Sou Calibur in terms of blatant fan service. But now, DOA really IS that bad, so its frustrating because I can't even defend it anymore.

Anyways let's get on topic. What costumes are you hoping make it in on Halloween, from what we've seen?

In my case at least, its just irritating because up until 5, when people tried to complain that DOA was just fan service and tits, I could point to most other fighters, and honestly say DOA is nowhere near as bad as say, KoF or Sou Calibur in terms of blatant fan service. But now, DOA really IS that bad, so its frustrating because I can't even defend it anymore.

Anyways let's get on topic. What costumes are you hoping make it in on Halloween, from what we've seen?

Except again, my point is the fact that so many people is hung up on the fact that they desperately want to prove something so much, that they make themselves and their scene far worse than if they left it alone otherwise(I would point to a certain thing but I won't so I will instead say Lucky Chloe instead). There's a difference between wanting to prove yourself and desperately trying to prove something.

Despite how much we love bashing DOA on how it lost it's "I'm a Fighter" to play the fanservice game again...it's like you guys completely miss that DOA5 has in fact made people take notice of DOA far more than they have in the past.
http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/the-success-of-evolution-2015.5844/

Did you guys miss that despite us NOT being on the Main Stage at all, there has been players of other games who has watched the matches of DOA? The fact that we proved that even not being on the Main Stage, we still was the biggest side tournament of EVO of this year? THAT is proving something.

To desperately prove something... is exactly what I stated before and again. Whining about characters you don't like that is ruining the game, complaining about fanservice, believing removing this and this will make the game better and more likeable, this is not going to garner anything else but animosity from your own scene and simply put, have everyone else laughing at your expense.
There is absolutely no reason to need to prove something to that length. We as a community, no we as the Western Fighting Game Community should have to prove NOTHING to nobody. EVO is in our backyard, TFC is in our backyard we have beaten plenty of great players of other countries and we even have MAINSTREAM COVERAGE at times(One of the EVO matches was put up on ESPN), why do we feel the need to continue trying to desperately prove something when we have nothing to prove?

You can hate Honoka, Marie Rose, Nyotengu, the costumes, the direction taken but please, let's not pretend that they would be better if they didn't exist, that would not help anything at all and never would.

And now I'm done. Hopefully my costume wins for October(Seriously, Succubus Queen Nyotengu should have been the most obvious thing).

MeadowSpirit

To be fair, in harem anime the ecchi/fan service is usually used more for comedy than actual sexual content.

Like in Daily Life with Monster Girl, so much nudity and sexual content, but its done in a way that's more hilarious than hot.

Of course that's still in contrast to say, love hina which had virtually no nudity.

Had them since doa1? Yes, but they were just....there before. Just a couple token "sexy" costumes, as with any game, and nothing more.

Come 5U however, and suddenly that's all the games about. That's all they promote, and that's all they release. That's bullshit.

DOA has never been better, so I'll keep defending it and I'll keep supporting it. You can play go DOA 1-4 with your rose-tinted glasses. Your negativity is tedious in the extreme.

Some people here don't seem to realize that the Season 2 DLC for this game is a perfect example of compromise. TN will never please everyone, but they seem to be making an honest attempt to please any many fans as possible:
  • Several packs of new costumes exclusively for the girls, which (let's face it) sell well and make them money. If costumes for the male characters don't sell that well, then new ones are going to be added less frequently. Just makes sense.
  • A pack in October for all characters, which also incorporates fan-made designs.
  • A single pack of swimwear in August to satisfy the DOAX-oriented fan.
IMO, they're doing a pretty good job of catering to BOTH sides of a very vocal and very stratified fan base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD