DOA Q&A

Allan Paris

Are frames for advanced holds different than normal holds? As in recovery/startup.

The start up is the same 0i. I believe the recovery is shorter for advanced holds, I don't know how many frames shorter, though. I will know in about 11 days.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Actually it is 1i for holds.The 0 for execution just means the hold goes directly into hit frames.

7thfonon

If there was a 0i attack, wouldn't you have to back in time to hit your opponent with an attack that you input 16.6 milliseconds in the Future? =P

BlackKnight

Does FSD still apply to DOA5?

Apparently doing a Tekken style bdc results in a faster backwards movement.

Also does frame advantage work in this game especially when the opponent can initiate hold during the first frame of hitstun of many moves? I am aware that throws or delayed attacks can beat holds.

Allan Paris

Does FSD still apply to DOA5?

Apparently doing a Tekken style bdc results in a faster backwards movement.

Also does frame advantage work in this game especially when the opponent can initiate hold during the first frame of hitstun of many moves? I am aware that throws or delayed attacks can beat holds.

Yes, free stepping is in DoA5.

If you are referring to KBD it is the quick repeated directional input of 214. I don't know if it's done in Tekken the same way. I would presume it is the same? Make sure your SS is not set to 22_88. You can't get the KBD to work that way.

Frame advantage does matter or "work" depending on the stun you get and it can be used to keep up pressure. For the most part the hold can be applied at almost any time. If you're new to this game this will take some time to get use to.

7thfonon

The proper way in Tekken to KBD is 4,4, 1, 5, 4, 1, 5, 4, 1, 5, etc. You can do the 214 method as well but you get whole lot less blocking frames and a little less movement speed.

Also, was wondering if there are some good in-depth DOA videos / tutorials.Mostly just looking for something that covers all the mechanics and how they work and all.

Allan Paris

You can look in our media section for the tutorials. We will also have online training sessions if you want to get involved with that. Look in the DOA5 thread for that or in the Matchmaking thread. Sorry I didn't post the link for you. You can also look into the DOA3 threads, pretty much all of the later threads in there will explain the core mechanics of DOA. You also have our wiki. That is if you don't mind reading some stuff.

BlackKnight

Yes, free stepping is in DoA5.

If you are referring to KBD it is the quick repeated directional input of 214. I don't know if it's done in Tekken the same way. I would presume it is the same? Make sure your SS is not set to 22_88. You can't get the KBD to work that way.

Frame advantage does matter or "work" depending on the stun you get and it can be used to keep up pressure. For the most part the hold can be applied at almost any time. If you're new to this game this will take some time to get use to.
Thanks. With the Tekken motion that 7th fonon described, you can still do a kbd with SS set to 22_88.

MaxwellMouse

So I am not fully sure how to slow escape. I feel this alone really holds back my game. I can't find any good explanations online so I would greatly appreciate how to do and maybe how it works.

Raansu

So I am not fully sure how to slow escape. I feel this alone really holds back my game. I can't find any good explanations online so I would greatly appreciate how to do and maybe how it works.

Hold block and do circular motions on the stick/pad.

Setsuna

I'm new to the 3D fighter realm (or DOA realm rather). I tried to play SCV but no one attempted to help explain how to improve myself over at 8wayrun nor did any of them when I asked at casuals. I tried to play Tekken Tag Tournament 2 but learning its movement was a bit much fore me when I'm focused on Persona 4 Arena and Guilty Gear atm. I recently picked up DOA5 because I played the previous titles (and because Kokoro and Lei Fang <3) and I had some questions in regards to learning the game.

I'm sitting in training mode with no idea what to do, I did all the command training for the characters I'm interested in but that still didn't click anything in my head. Anyway enough with the story here are the questions:

Questions:

Looking at the first post of the stickied threads I noticed Breaking Down the Game: A Training Suggestion for Aspiring Players but I also noticed its a very old thread for when DOA4 was out, I was wondering if that thread is still relevant for DOA5 ?

What are some important fundamentals I should know in regards to the 3D realm ?

I'm trying to decide between characters and I was wondering which one is the most beginner friendly:
Kasumi
Kokoro
Lei Fang (I want to main her)
Hitomi

MaxwellMouse

Hold block and do circular motions on the stick/pad.
That is it? Hold block as in free? How can I tell how well im doing it? I though I was doing what you suggested.
Seeing how you can counter whilst doing this when is it best to try and slow escape versus trying to counter?

Brute

Standard Donor
I'm trying to decide between characters and I was wondering which one is the most beginner friendly:
Kasumi
Kokoro
Lei Fang (I want to main her)
Hitomi
Kasumi and Hitomi are the most newbie-friendly, though all four are approachable to new players.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD