DOA5U to have Arcade Release in Winter of 2013

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Doesn't really change the fact that the number one complaint about DOA on streams is how fast the matches end.

Other games have quicker deaths once in-combo, but they tend to take a while to set up. With DOA you are straight into it every time. For better or worse, most players ignore most of the spacing game and go straight into the meat grinder.

Perception is key.

TRI Mike

This is good news I guess... but I'm not playing with 300 life ever again. I don't think reverting life setting had anything to do with it. It's just another ridiculous nerf by Team NINJA. Having the game in arcades is cool (even if the vast majority of us will NEVER touch that version). I hope it's good for the game.

Tulkas

Premium Donor
Every other arcade machine is also set to 3 rounds. That doesn't make it a good deal for DOA if the rounds end quicker than every other machine.
I think it would be better to set AI level to an easy one in arcade machines in other that avoid fast game overs (and gamers frustation), than set lifefar (and time) to a non-competitive configuration.

David Gregg

I'll be very interested to see the changes they make for the arcade. DOA5 (with the exception of playing others) wasn't designed for arcade play. We're thinking strictly competitive play here but before that can happen you have to attract newcomers who will most likely first want to play w/o versing others. And let's face it, arcade mode (face 8 random opponents, no "true" boss, probably no inclusion of story, etc...) is really flat for this game.

Now if they had you fight Alpha-152 in the Lab for the last fight I guess that fits the Final Boss criteria.

David Gregg

Pretty much. I wondering will there be an arcade mode in the console release....or will it be patched in later.

I'd take a guess and say that if it's not on the console version when it gets released in September then no, the arcade version won't have any impact on it and the only patches will be for gameplay tweaks.

There's only 1 game I've ever seen that did it backwards and had it's arcade release after the console one and they kept that version exactly the same (Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing).

Berzerk!

Doesn't really change the fact that the number one complaint about DOA on streams is how fast the matches end.

Other games have quicker deaths once in-combo, but they tend to take a while to set up. With DOA you are straight into it every time. For better or worse, most players ignore most of the spacing game and go straight into the meat grinder.

Perception is key.

Found it to be the opposite
To interest fighting players of other games Doa cannot drag on the way it does in tournaments. Overdo it and we lose interest

Short, sharp, skill based matches are exciting and spectator friendly

That goes for the now networked world of Japanese arcades too

David Gregg

I really didn't notice that much of a difference when the life bar was dropped in 1.03 but I definitely do NOT want life kept at 270 if the damage on holds has been increased. Also with Power Launchers being able to dish out more damage than Power Blows this might be a good thing since it won't be an instant kill for your opponent.

Berzerk!

You don't raise the overall life (affecting all strategies) just because hold damage is increased. That's a baby out with the bathwater approach.

Hold damage down, attack damage up.

Also, Power Blows or Launchers will only land if you've set your opponent up, usually in a combo where you've had to take 30% or more already. So that can never be an instant kill, but being close to it is fine.

David Gregg

I agree with this and wish that was the case. But for right now as gameplay is already showing to evolve (more bounds, Ein receiving an OH possibly hinting that more have one as well, essentially no FT's, etc...) I would rather have a safety net now b/c the strategy may be significantly different.

Berzerk!

You don't want a "safety net" because your opponent gets one too

If you dominate a match and pull off a great setup, combo, or series of good reads, you want your opponent to feel the pressure and to have the round in your advantage - why should they feel safe?

How many exchanges are expected in a match?

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
You don't raise the overall life (affecting all strategies) just because hold damage is increased. That's a baby out with the bathwater approach.

-Exactly. That mentality needs to be erased from Team Ninja's mind. Why the hell are they increasing hold damage anyway? It should be exactly as you stated, Infact, the hit frames should be reduced even more so.

Also, Power Blows or Launchers will only land if you've set your opponent up, usually in a combo where you've had to take 30% or more already. So that can never be an instant kill, but being close to it is fine.
-For a good game, players need to be accountable for their actions. When you make a mistake, you need to be punished hard for it. All these safety nets encourage sloppy ass play.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Two good guess should be the round. It's painful when two big plays gets the other guy to 20 health and you spend half a minute trying to land that last hit.

EDIT: But I can't see that working in an arcade environment, especially if it's single player mode.

Tulkas

Premium Donor
Lately, I've been thinking strikes tend to be weaker than holds and throws because most strikes deliver less damage and are slower than holds and throws. Holds are zero start up frames, and command throws begin at 6 or 7 start up frames for every chars, however the fastest strikes are 9 for a few chars and deliver very few damage in comparision.

I'm not sure, but perhaps making first critical stun unholdable would give strikes a guaranteed damage comparable with hold and throws, even when launchers just would get min height.

It also would make stun game optional for ambitious players. I like CB and PB very much, so in this case I would try stun game most times unless my char life bar is near to be empty.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Strikes are usually of less damage due to combo/juggle damage...especially with the addition of environment damage.

shunwong

I thought arcades were (almost) dead in Japan

I wonder if we will see VF6 announced after this...

d3v

Perception is key.
Have you actually watched a UMvC3 match/stream?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD