DOA5U to have Arcade Release in Winter of 2013

David Gregg

Aside from the fact that it will bring in more players, I don't know why I'm looking forward to the arcade version so much when it's most likely not even going to be released in the US. lol. Arcades just make everything a hundred times better for me I guess. ha ha

d3v

Yes, and how fast Marvel moves in reality doesn't change the perception that DOA's matches end too fast.
What kind of stream monsters are you listening to? At least on SRK, I've never heard of anyone complaining about any game's matches ending too fast. If anything, I've seen people complain about the opposite and hate it when games run too long.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
A match can range from 90 second or 9, in marvel.

You forget that every game second is real time 3 seconds. So in reality a match can last 27 seconds to 4.5 minutes. And they do best 3 out of 5.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Marvel takes a long time in tourneys even if it is a fast game. There's a good reason why it's usually the last game to get stream time.

Mestizo

Standard Donor
so glad i started doa on a fightstick! ^O^

QUESTION: anyone here know how to order one of these arcade machines and what they generally run cost wise?

Berzerk!

What kind of stream monsters are you listening to? At least on SRK, I've never heard of anyone complaining about any game's matches ending too fast. If anything, I've seen people complain about the opposite and hate it when games run too long.

Thats right... and in actual tournament communities, it's one of the most important things to combat. If your game runs long it will get CUT from the roster next time. Players will complain as they wait for other games, instead of relaxing and giving it a fair shake.

Keeping the Normal life setting as low as possible and having fast, exciting rounds is so important on many levels for the success of the game for players and spectators.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
The specs of the RingEdge2 aren't known but they would have to be significantly better than the current gen systems, no? I wonder if DOA5 will be running at 1080p and 60fps.

I also wonder if they'll add additional content since it is releasing after the console version, which is unheard of. How would they expect to sell the game to arcades if it doesn't have at least some exclusive content to keep it fresh from the console version?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Raidou & Tengu arcade exclusives, will bring in the casual Japanese arcade goers right in I'm sure.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Mr. Wah said:
Raidou & Tengu arcade exclusives, will bring in the casual Japanese arcade goers right in I'm sure.

I doubt it.. but it would be awesome.

Also about damage buff.
From the feedback we're getting from the japaneese, it seems throw damage got buffed as well.
So.. guess we'll just have to wait n see.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Buffed for the whole cast or for certain characters?
For the whole cast it seems..

As for forced techs, it seems in the last revision of the game in japan that they still exsist after untechable knockdowns .. but not after juggles ... (unless ofcourse you manage to end it with an untechable knockdown .. )

Tulkas

Premium Donor
Damn... I starting to be afraid of those revisions... Buffing throw damage means buffing practically inescapable damage and imposible to read for human eye... So, blocking, side steping, holding, and unsafe striking will get more punish... :/ And cosidering hold damage will be also increased in DOA5U a conclusion is that strikes are getting nerfed in comparision.

Perhaps TN is making those buff and increasing life bar to 300 in orther to promote people to use more holds and throws... In my experience I've noticed that people that come from other games (like SC and Tekken) tend to use strikes more than holds and throws, for example they try to punish unsafe strike with strikes which is not the way to do it in DOA...

So well, we must wait and see... I hope TN knows what is doing and is not goin to spoil the game. :(

FakeSypha

n my experience I've noticed that people that come from other games (like SC and Tekken) tend to use strikes more than holds and throws, for example they try to punish unsafe strike with strikes which is not the way to do it in DOA...

Yep, pretty much. The rest of the actual 3D FGs emphasize on guaranteed strike punishes. In TTT2 and SCV breaking throws isn't hard at all. You can react to them (offline). In VF5FS, it's a guess but again it's easy to keep G held down to press P (and choose a direction or keep neutral).
Also throws in those games tend to do little to moderate damage compared to what you could do with a launcher/starter, so punishing with them is giving away damage in most situations. Ofc, you'll have grappler characters that do crazy damage with command throws, or characters with throws that guarantee a follow up, or maybe you can throw punish to put yourself on a better positioning regarding the stage (it's not always about the damage when you can ring out :p)

tl;dr; yeah, throw punishing is somewhat strong in DOA.

I feel TN is always trying to be 'unique' and they end up having fighting games with somewhat unorthodox mechanics (ie. stun/hold system). I'm not saying they should go and blatantly copy VF, Tekken or whatever, but IMO I think using standards already established for 3D fighters would be beneficial for the franchise. Maybe not, but that's what I think.

TRI Mike

With the lack of info we have now, all I can say is that I'm very frustrated because the positive changes are just a short distance away. Reducing the threshold to E3 2012 levels, buffing frame data for everyone, etc. Those should be fairly simple to do. But they seem to be doing the complete opposite...

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!

The only ones I manage to see when im actually at the tournament and peaking over the head of whoever is running the stream.

I also hear it from people spectating the game in person, and from youtube comments. It's pretty consistent.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD