Halloween Designer Challenge 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I think you guys misinterpret The design must be original works and not copies of existing designs rule.
When I read the rules back then it was immediately clear to me that they meant not violating copyright rules, like giving Christie an Elsa of Frozen design or dressing Leon as Super Mario. That's an important rule to establish, because Team Ninja can get into big trouble if they do not realize a submitted design is violating copyright rules. I certainly have seen several submissions in all the contests that were blatantly ripped off of existing other characters...
Who cares if a designer copies his own gnome design, lol?

Boogie

I certainly have seen several submissions in all the contests that were blatantly ripped off of existing other characters...

which boggles my mind how did that 15 minute catwoman rip off christie of mine make it into the top 10? like i know it may be weird that im ripping my own design but literally no thought went into that. i was like "haha egyptian catwoman christie cause shes an assassin lawl" and submitted it and its like...6th(?) place? versus my rig design i put like 3 days into.

like cool that it won, but really?
its still like they're breaking their own rules in a way idk.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
which boggles my mind how did that 15 minute catwoman rip off christie of mine make it into the top 10? like i know it may be weird that im ripping my own design but literally no thought went into that. i was like "haha egyptian catwoman christie cause shes an assassin lawl" and submitted it and its like...6th(?) place? versus my rig design i put like 3 days into.

It’s almost like Team Ninja recognizes brain dead designs, oh well, I like your costume but the face piece isn’t my style.

Chapstick

Was muskateer-pirate-witch Ayane 1st place in that contest btw? :/ & It’s-halloween-because-I-have-a-pumpkin-hairclip Leifang 2nd?

Legendary Goken

Standard Donor
I think you guys misinterpret The design must be original works and not copies of existing designs rule.
When I read the rules back then it was immediately clear to me that they meant not violating copyright rules, like giving Christie an Elsa of Frozen design or dressing Leon as Super Mario. That's an important rule to establish, because Team Ninja can get into big trouble if they do not realize a submitted design is violating copyright rules. I certainly have seen several submissions in all the contests that were blatantly ripped off of existing other characters...
Who cares if a designer copies his own gnome design, lol?
I'm not blaming the designer. You don't find it strange and unprofessional that they'd pick the same design from the same artist, when there were a lot of other artists who made different and creative designs?

Copyright or not, it's not an original design, and ruins the creative aspect of creating a new costume.

KwonJigglypuff

Maybe one of the developper's kids made that Pirate Ayane costume ? :rolleyes: *pouring some oil onto the fire* *bye bye*

Kidding, the drawing is not good, but I'm sure it will look great in game. Are Ayane fans happy this year ?

Kodachi

Standard Donor

I had the same feeling when my bat la Mariposa won
A) I thought the bat symbol would have been a red flag
B) I designed it in maybe 4 minutes

DontForkWitMe

Leon gets yet another copy and pasted halloween outfit with slight adjustments from another characters previous outfit. Its like TN ain't even trying to hide the fact that they give no shits about giving him anything 100% original. Other than his gas mask outfit from 2015 every one of his halloween outfits were hand me downs

2013- his old gladiator outfit from previous DOAs
2014-copy and pasted werewolf outfit from Brad
2015-gas mask killer outfit
2016-dinosaur version of jann lee's dragon mascot outfit
2017-a gnome outfit from the exact same designer of genfu's gnome outfit last year but this time with a gopher on his head...da fuck outta here

If i didn't already drop this game months ago i'd be livid right now. at least theres always maruader Leon to wash away the bad taste of the rest of his shit dlc outfits

KwonJigglypuff

Modern copyright laws are just about money. Such a human concept. :nyotengu:

There is no shame about taking inspiration from real or imaginary stuff.
Batman/Batgirl belongs to our collective psyche and the world of fiction: the Phantom, Zorro, Da Vinca's drawings and vampires fantasies. That's how creations work. You take good stuff and improve/adapt it to another context. It has been this way for centuries. Which is good. Bat La Mariposa is perfect this way. The same applies to Bastet Christie: why would we care as long as she looks good? And guess who inspired who: Bastet or Catwoman?

Charles Perrault could not say anything to Team Ninja about Red Riding Hood Tina and Marie (spoiler alert: he is dead). Alice in Wonderland, Franckeinstein, Tarzan, Notre Dame's gargoyles... I heard somewhere that Marie-Antoinette's head was pissed about being in such an immoral game.

I know law is law, and it is here for a reason I respect, but just because centuries have passed does not mean fans can open their mouth about the rest. Or let's be hypocritical, wait 70 years before taking inspiration from an existing content just because someone without intellectual honesty said "dibs".

But again, the border between rip-off (no originality at all) and inspiration is debatable.

I applied the same logic to my Phantom of the Opera Helena. Unfortunately, for these technical reasons, that's probably why it won't happen before 2100.... I should have renamed it "Bitch with a cloack" and it would have worked.

Edit: this is actually not true as it was written in 1909 so it's in the public domain, cooool!

Last edited:

Sotherius

Ok, you guys are forgetting a heavy important detail here.

Since now is TN picking the winners, their criteria will probably include something like:

-How cheap/easy is to model that costume.

I don't like to say that Team Ninja is uncreative, they have some of my favorite designs ever, but they clearly don't want to put that much effort into making these costumes.

"Hey, we did pirate girl last year, and this year there is a cool pirate design for the other girl, let's pick that and cut some effort" is what i think happens in their process, sure, they'll will pick really great stuff like the Tina, or the Hayate design, but overall, when you see a certain trend, you can see they're probably just cutting the creation of new assets.

HajinMonSect

By the way, someone found the winning entry of Alpha-152 on Twitter:

DLQeYrUVAAErj_X.jpg

DLpS2EMVoAAZJWN.jpg:large

Jeez why couldn't it be broccoli, afro as a joke haircut always gets on my nerves. How about a stupid bowl haircut that drips soup and carrots. -_- hmph!

KwonJigglypuff

Another reason that excuses TN's laziness, is that some fans like to have matching costumes: Pirate Eliot/Gen Fu/Brad, Superhero Tina/Lisa, Devil Christie/Bayman, Bellydancer Helena/Marie, etc. It's a redeeming thing I kinda like.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Ok, you guys are forgetting a heavy important detail here.

Since now is TN picking the winners, their criteria will probably include something like:

-How cheap/easy is to model that costume.

I don't like to say that Team Ninja is uncreative, they have some of my favorite designs ever, but they clearly don't want to put that much effort into making these costumes.

"Hey, we did pirate girl last year, and this year there is a cool pirate design for the other girl, let's pick that and cut some effort" is what i think happens in their process, sure, they'll will pick really great stuff like the Tina, or the Hayate design, but overall, when you see a certain trend, you can see they're probably just cutting the creation of new assets.
Woah, I wouldn't go that far. TN has picked winners since 2015 and they don't go for easy to model or renderr costumes, some costumes they've made you wouldn't have expected since they have alot of fabric and elements you wouldn't think they'd bring to life, yeah textures suffer and there's clipping but still they don't necessarily go the lazy path

Also I don't want the thread to be derailed since this seems a bit like an argument waiting to capitalize so I'll just say that they'll likely show girl tonight since they did a male yesterday so the possibilities are:
:helena::kokoro::lisa::mila::naotora::nyotengu::pai::rachel::sarah:

Argentus

And guess who inspired who: Bastet or Catwoman?

No that literally is just a variation of Catwoman's modern costume lol.
71YYU5Ofy5L._SY606_.jpg

The goggles give it away, really.

Smite got in trouble for giving Bastet Catwoman's costume, which is the funnier thing.

The were forced to stop it from being a Catwoman skin and adjusted it into a generic Specops skin
tumblr_inline_ooffigP8Y91rqgje6_500.png

There is no shame about taking inspiration from real or imaginary stuff.
Batman/Batgirl belongs to our collective psyche and the world of fiction: the Phantom, Zorro, Da Vinca's drawings and vampires fantasies. That's how creations work. You take good stuff and improve/adapt it to another context. It has been this way for centuries.

There's a difference between basing something on a character that is Public Domain, and currently copyrighted and trademarked and owned.

But also more to the POINT, it's just that TN says "cannot be based on existing designs" then they pick exactly that.

No offense, Boogie.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I searched all remaining character designs and couldn't find it.... my best guess it's Jann Lee, it looks like the "Who do you think I am?" pose angle, or maybe Ein from his "My instincts lead me to victory!" pose. maybe the winner emailed it in and didn't use Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD