Community How the FGC community SHOULD treat people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argentus

This speaks the truth right here.

I've been reading "From Masher to Master: The Educated Video Game Enthusiast's Fighting Game Primer" and I came across the chapter called "Don't Want No Scrubs" (Shout out to TLC). Patrick Miller, the author of the ebook, made a definition of the scrub:

"The Scrub is the guy who walks into the arcade and thinks he’s hot
shit even though no one has ever seen him around before. He’s the guy
who enters the tournament and refuses to play his competition characters
(or even the fighting games he’s entered entirely) because he
doesn’t want anyone to learn how to “counter” his super-secret techniques.
He may yell at you for throwing him repeatedly, or doing the
same move over and over, because it’s “cheap.” He’s never met you, but
he thinks he could probably beat you, and if you won, well, it’s because
he isn’t used to the arcade sticks, or his hands were cold, or he ate too
much pizza and got grease all over the buttons. (Ew.) And he probably
does way too many wakeup DPs/supers/etc.

Note that I am describing the Scrub mentality (also known as
“Scrubbiness”) independent of any estimation of his actual skill. Scrubs
can learn combos, scrubs can learn matchups, and scrubs can become
quite good at fighting games — good enough to beat you, and even beat
top players every now and then. “Scrub” is not an estimation of one’s
skill, but rather one’s way of thinking about fighting games."

Truth is this (and I'm bouncing off of what Tenryuga said): everyone has a different style of how to play the game. You hate juggling, fine I respect it. But telling other people not to juggle... that's not gonna happen.
Other way around. I get angry and defensive at being told that I have to play a certain way or I'm "wrong".

Not gonna lie and say I never was like that, but I'm not anymore.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
You don't have to play a specific way, but you do have to play the same game as the rest of us.

Your main problem is that you get frustrated when you hit the mental wall of what the game is supposed to be, and rather than accept what people tell you about the way that it works you instead opt to lash out against the mechanics and criticize everything, which makes people lose interest in helping you.

Argentus

You don't have to play a specific way, but you do have to play the same game as the rest of us.

Your main problem is that you get frustrated when you hit the mental wall of what the game is supposed to be, and rather than accept what people tell you about the way that it works you instead opt to lash out against the mechanics and criticize everything, which makes people lose interest in helping you.
I know, it just REALLY doesn't help when I get a lot of "you suck, learn to play", which sets off my temper. I'm responding civilly to people actually giving advice, though. Plus, I honestly didn't know, Dragon Gunner referred to the ankle grab. Thought it meant his machine gun palm strike thing, because Logic. Lot less confusion now.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I know, it just REALLY doesn't help when I get a lot of "you suck, learn to play", which sets off my temper.
You're gonna run into that often, especially among scrub-minded social climbers who claim to be all buddy-buddy with HLPs and top players.

Weed them out and the grass becomes greener.

I'm responding civilly to people actually giving advice, though. Plus, I honestly didn't know, Dragon Gunner referred to the ankle grab. Thought it meant his machine gun palm strike thing, because Logic. Lot less confusion now.
So you're the type that prefers moves told in numerical format.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Tone down the rage against the mechanics and you're going to find a lot less people are going to get pissed off and say hurtful shit. That's mostly just the people being frustrated with your attitude regarding things.

Not saying its right, but it is an understandably common response. It's gota start with you.

Argentus

You're gonna run into that often, especially among scrub-minded social climbers who claim to be all buddy-buddy with HLPs and top players.

Weed them out and the grass becomes greener.

So you're the type that prefers moves told in numerical format.
well kinda. core fighters so i can't actually check Jann's command list.

Logic was, "i'm only using 2 characters, so i'll just buy those two and be done with it". But i'm gonna get full game for Last Round, mostly just so I can check all this nonsense.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
well kinda. core fighters so i can't actually check Jann's command list.

Logic was, "i'm only using 2 characters, so i'll just buy those two and be done with it". But i'm gonna get full game for Last Round, mostly just so I can check all this nonsense.
For quick reference, directions in numerical format are best remembered by looking at the number keys on the right of your keyboard.

So basically:

7 8 9

4 5 6

1 2 3

In the case of the Dragon Gunner, the input would be 66t.

Argentus

For quick reference, directions in numerical format are best remembered by looking at the number keys on the right of your keyboard.

So basically:

7 8 9

4 5 6

1 2 3

In the case of the Dragon Gunner, the input would be 66t.
yeah, I know. just saying that since I can't actually bring Jann into training, if all you said was was the numbers, I would have no idea what move that was.

Brute

Standard Donor
I did not want to get involved in this thread, as I knew exactly what was going to be in it. But then someone decided to report a post, so I had to drag my rear in here and read everything to make sure I had the appropriate context. Sure enough, it's the same old arguments, but now with higher doses of victim complex, red herrings and strawman fallacies.

So let's break this down into baby steps, shall we?

What the subject here is allegedly about is how respectful community members are to one another when they have differing opinions. So, to address who was right/wrong in the original argument is irrelevant. Why the explanation was included here was nothing short of igniting the victim complex (explained later).

So, now that we have a topic, let's look at the intent of the topic. We can start at the goal: "I would like to be treated with respect, even when my opinion differs from another's." So does everyone. Unfortunately, it's life. And in life people are jerks, and the internet is certainly no exception. No one is immune to that. Here on FSD we don't support that behavior, but we're certainly not going to go white knighting across the internet every time anyone in the DOA community says something out of line. If it wasn't said on FSD, we can't do anything about it. All we can do is hope that the pointless drama doesn't make its way over here so we have to clean it up.

But what does this thread do? It brought the drama right to our doorstep. And for what purpose? The objective is allegedly to make people stop being jerks out of pity because someone on Facebook was being a jerk in light of an opinion very few people hold. What an inane course of action! Utterly futile to those with even the slightest comprehension of what is going on. So let's consider the true purpose.

The true purpose was to gain a victory via strawman fallacy. Argentus could not win the original argument (and was offended in the process), so another argument was made to attack and defeat. This argument was the: "It doesn't matter if I'm right or wrong, don't be a jerk!" argument. How do we know this is the case? Because there would be no other reason to include the original argument's position in the OP if the subsequent one was in fact the primary topic. The inclusion of that blurb was to indirectly link the two points in an attempt to associate them, with the latter being more objectively winnable. This plan went awry when everyone simply attacked the original argument (juggles) and dismissed the strawman (community respect). At this point, the response was: "I got angry that everyone is derailing from the real subject (ie: the strawman)" in an attempt to re-diverge the conversation flow. Elements such as addressing the larger FGC, playstyle improvement, offline apprehension, Jann Lee, etc. are all red herrings in relation to either one argument or the other, further indicating an attempted merger between two separate avenues.

Whether all of this was intentional or subconscious by the instigator doesn't really matter in the end. What matters is that this topic, as it is presented, will not contribute an objective purpose and serves primarily to vent and cause contention between different members when they are already emotionally charged. Venting, in moderation, is fine, but this certainly is not the time (or really the place) for it, and the structure here only serves to further offend.

Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD