Japan’s number 1 Mai Shiranui gameplay thread.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Gotta up my Mai game for summer jam. Have a local today I'll get to try her out at. I'm a scrub.

KING JAIMY

I've been struggling a lot with Mai against defensive players. I can't seem to get a stun off and people are really catching on to her 6PP and 6PK mixups. Like what do I do against defensive opponent to open them up? They just block and punish. I've tried delaying the last hit of 6PKPP/1KPP but to no avail since it's unsafe on block now. Mai is fast but I feel like her strings are really predictable in neutral.

Chaos

I've been struggling a lot with Mai against defensive players. I can't seem to get a stun off and people are really catching on to her 6PP and 6PK mixups. Like what do I do against defensive opponent to open them up? They just block and punish. I've tried delaying the last hit of 6PKPP/1KPP but to no avail since it's unsafe on block now. Mai is fast but I feel like her strings are really predictable in neutral.
Indeed. That's my problem with her, she's crazy unsafe and people can predict mai next attack (<<<see what I did there? LOL).

The only thing I can think of at this moment is to do some hard reading by crushing your opponents attacks right when they press a button and of course, take dangerous risks.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Typically I have to do more 6PPxx236Ks so at least i can be safe and make them respect the followup. Also throwing out some 2KPs out there tends to help as well.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
What I do to open people up is 1P, 2KP, PPPK, PK, 6PK, 1K and 9PKK most people don’t expect the second hit.

Mostly I just zone and throw fans at them, it really makes people impatient which allows me to get into their head and play mind games.
Edit:
For zoning I like to use 246,P 6K, 3K, 1P, 66K and 236K. 236K and 66K are so good for whiff punishing.

Last edited:

KING JAIMY

236K is pretty nasty because it used to be unsafe in DOA5LR and now it's semi-safe. Most people think it's still unsafe though so when I feel scummy I just mash through their failed 6T attempt.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
The 236K case sort of reminds me of Geese's Jaei Ken from Tekken 7. The move is only relatively safe but the last hit is a high. Even if you know the opponent is going to do it at some point, it may be awkward to deal with.

I like Mai in this game but I just don't quite understand why she has to be unsafe on hit from some of her strings. I get that they are special cancelable but if the opponent blocks...

Onryoki

Standard Donor
The 236K case sort of reminds me of Geese's Jaei Ken from Tekken 7. The move is only relatively safe but the last hit is a high. Even if you know the opponent is going to do it at some point, it may be awkward to deal with.

I like Mai in this game but I just don't quite understand why she has to be unsafe on hit from some of her strings. I get that they are special cancelable but if the opponent blocks...
Well, Mai is pretty fast and strong up close and from afar. She’s also one of the three characters with a projectile. If she also was a very safe character she would’ve been quite OP. Besides being unsafe as hell her only weakness is her tracking.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
So I've been working with ending her juggles with 8P into pseudo oki force techs of 1KP. Anyone have any suggestions on what should be done to keep the pressure after they tech up?

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Either 2P+K and 4P?? They’re high crushes, otherwise a quick poke like P maybe? That way you can check if they block or not and can use 66T

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Either 2P+K and 4P?? They’re high crushes, otherwise a quick poke like P maybe? That way you can check if they block or not and can use 66T

Nice suggestion, but what's the value in landing 2P+K on hit/guard? I haven't found it to be too useful unless i'm missing something blaringly obvious (like i missed that 1P tracked...)?

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Nice suggestion, but what's the value in landing 2P+K on hit/guard? I haven't found it to be too useful unless i'm missing something blaringly obvious (like i missed that 1P tracked...)?
Based on my own experience, most people don’t expect a 2P+K. The move looks like a low when starting up which can trick people into crouching. That’s the only reason I use 2P+K.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I feel a nice buff to her 236P high projectile would be if it somehow hits you it should be the counter hit jab stun animation. would make more sense as well since she's smacking them in the head and they crumple their gut...

Just feel the move is worthless and is just a gag attack. Getting +4 for the speed it is, the hit level, and the disadvantage on block is just not worth it.

Also, if you do her new 46K after say a blocked 6P you can high crush any high follow up it seems.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
I’m glad that move is still good! Yeah, her fan isn’t worth using up close, too much of a risk for something that’s not worth it. I only use it when I’m far from my opponents to check them if they whiff moves.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
It's definitely been a move you are going in expecting a counter hit for by using your high crush. Mostly due to it having no followup but a high.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD