Japan’s number 1 Mai Shiranui gameplay thread.

Shiranui

Nice video, thanks for sharing. I feel like Mai is worse in DOA6, but at the same time she's more polished in therms of gameplay. She is more unsafe now but she has more tools, like a luncher throw or more air moves (Ukihane, Climax move). So for me Mai in DOA6 is less effective or I struggle more against good players but I have more fun playing her.

Last edited:

Onryoki

Standard Donor
I have to disagree with her being worse, her damage and safety did get nerfed but she’s still very fast, is good at spacing and has a projectile, which only she and 2 other characters in this roster share.

Mai never was a safe character to begin with, Mai plays very similar to Kasumi, the only difference between them is that Mai’s mobility is better and that she’s better at zoning.

Einzelkind

That was fast! I really like Mai so far. I haven't used her in 5, so I can't really tell how much safer she was in that one, but she does feel super unsafe. Even more so than Kasumi or Christie. With Kasumi you have 6pk to approach safely and Christie has a ton of guardbreaks that are actually + on block.

Regarding 66k: I think it really only is + on block if you get the optimal distance, which is like 2,80 meters. It's quite hard to find the optimal spacing imo and you don't really have a way of knowing for sure without the move details from the training mode. Worst case it's -4, which means Mai cannot continue her offense without any risk.

Roobaca

I still do 214p thinking its safe and sometimes I do 66k thinking ill do her old 66k lol but thats because I used her a lot back in 5 so im used to doing those moves.

Her combos are short but do great damage and her proyectile is still a great tool so I like her so far.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Losing the safety on 214P/cancels and 8H+K kinda sucks, though it will be an interesting challenge to use 66K on approach for +frames at tip. Though 66P is just as good as it was in DOA5LR.

Basically TN doesn't want us to be too abusive with Mai :p. I also forget that she has a 7K at times. Seems worse than Momiji's.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
@Roobaca made a post with Mai tech in a separate thread but i’m gonna paste his comment in here so it’s all in 1 place.

“So I was in the lab trying to discover hidden moves or tech and I here's what I found

:s::s::s: third :s: can be canceled into 214:P:, 214:P::+::K:, etc. The only "good" use I found to this is as a finisher for 66:T: but it doesnt deal as much damage as other finishers

On jump forward :K::K:

This as we now causes a bound but instead of doing regular 66:K: or on jump :K::P:, 6:h::+::K: is I think a better tool and here's where the fun part beggins

After this 2:P:, 1:P:, 1:K:, 2:K: and 8:P:can hit opponent on the ground preventing them from doing a wake up kick and getting get an advantage of +5, +4 or +10 if u used 2:P:

Shiranui

Is it me or Mai just got nerfed? I'm not able any longer to connect 3P, K, P+K after her 9P+K (cancel) 3P, K, K :eek::confused::confused:

KING JAIMY

I've been using 4P a lot lately with a lot of success! It crushes highs, stuns on normal hit and gives a very deep stun which allows basically anything to connect provided they don't hold. It's a pretty good tool in neutral to beat those pesky jabs. And even though it's unsafe on block, it has delayable follow-ups so your opponent is always at risk trying to throw punish it.

Is it me or Mai just got nerfed? I'm not able any longer to connect 3P, K, P+K after her 9P+K (cancel) 3P, K, K :eek::confused::confused:
I believe it only works in open stance. I'd go for the reliable option and just do opt for close hit 66K or 6S.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
My top 10 Mai moves.
1:
3PK: 3PK is really good for combo’s and works on every launch height and on every weight class. It’s a very fast, universal combo ender.
2:
4P: 4P stuns on NH and can easily be followed up with a launcher. It also puts the opponent in a position where they have to hold or get hit, launched or thrown.
3: PPPK, this string is safe (-6) and can be delayed.
4: 236P, this is in my top 10 just because it’s a projectile.
5: 214P, even though it’s unsafe now it causes the spin stun which seems to force people to hold.
6: 7K it’s a easy accessible high crush, unfortunately it’s unsafe but I still like the move.
7: SSS because it causes a fatal stun and can be cancelled into her special moves.
8: 66T because it’s a launch throw.
9: 8H+K it’s a low crush and causes a fatal stun.
10: 66K, its a good whiff punisher that causes a guardbreak and is safe on block.

KING JAIMY

Not in order:

1: P String. i9 jab to start pressure with various mixups. I believe the range might be slightly longer than other i9 jabs. Essential string.

2: 6P String. i11 mid punch and 6PP tracks! Very useful against sidestep spammers. Has delayable followups so it's risky to punish a raw 6PP on block for the opponent. 6PKP, 6PKK and 6PKPP are also very good when delayed and they work as combo enders as well.

3: 4P. Relatively fast, stuns on NH, high crushes like crazy and the stun gives so much advantage that it forces a guessing situation. What more do you want?

4: 3P. Very nice lift stun. Can be used to launch if used twice in a row. Has very useful followups which can be used as juggles or to simply mix up. Unfortunately it doesn't act like a relauncher like it did in DOA5LR.

5: 236P. Very good tool to whiff punish wake up kicks. Goes full screen so there's no risk involved if used at a long distance.

6: 4K. Tracking high kick which also acts as a high crush. Deep stun, semi-safe on block.

7: 66K. RIP old 66K but this kick is also very good. Amazing range, can be advantageous on block if space correctly. Excellent combo ender.

8: 3K. Good whiff punisher. Solid reach and can also be used as a stun extender.

9: 8H+K. Low crush and Fatal Stun. Can be used to whiff punish and force techs. This move is way better than what it used to be in DOA5LR.

10: 2KP+K. Very quick high crush into stun. Be careful though, it's unsafe on block.

Overall I think Mai's kit is very solid and this made evident by the fact I had a hard time compiling this list. All of her launchers are really good as well. 3P+K is especially versatile as it has the option to go into jump stance. I really do miss the old PPK launcher string however. I didn't include her throws but they seem pretty decent. Her new 66T has a lot of potential because it's a launch throw now.

Last edited:

KING JAIMY

I noticed some people are having trouble getting the close hit on :6::6::K: after a bound. A useful tip to get it down more consistently is to think of the move as :6::6_::K:. That way you cover more distance. You'll get that extra little micro-dash which makes it easier to land the close hit and you still have plenty of time to connect the move.

This doesn't only apply to Mai, but also other character with '66' close hit inputs. Kula players can use the same technique for example by thinking of :6::6::P: as :6::6_::P:.

Chaos

I did ok using her. Just need to figure out how to build pressure with her.
at 1:10 you see that 66T, 4P214P+K does little damage BUT it push your opponent far away from you which gives you room.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD