Japan’s number 1 Mai Shiranui gameplay thread.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
So Mai's :236::P: was made even more worthless than before with v1.19. They made it so it causes the new "ground game" knock down juggle hit. Why and how is it worse? Because you only get your :2::P: ground hit if it hits them in the air. You can't do any force tech hits if they don't tech. AND if they are actually teching from the hit then Mai is -2 after their tech finishes.

Move is the most worthless move in the game as far as I am concerned, and they made it more worthless.

And you might be saying "But you do get that ground hit!", well sir, I'm sorry, but the juggles I sacrificed to award that 20% opportunity of 10 damage from them not teching provide more damage than that, better oki, and opportunity of a wall hit with wall oki.

So yes, worthless.

Worthless.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Yeah the move is indeed worthless in a combo or tech set up. A projectile as hard knockdown was a bad choice anyway, I would’ve preferred 7K as a hard knockdown since it’s useless. I think projectiles in 3D fighters serve no purpose other than whiff punishing and checking the opponent.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
This thread's lack of support is pitiful imo so I went and teched Mai a bit and found out some interesting things since I wanted to see if she was still worth using in 6:

°She doesn't have any real way to gain + advantage on block but if you do 66K at max range you can be left +1 to +2 which I think is good when she's at mid far range.

°Her 9PP is also +1 at max range too but the range is poor compared to her other attacks so getting is stricter but it's still a neat way to get advantage if you are good with range. At the worst when spaced right you'll be +0.

°In stages with slight slopes, you can use 6H+K after a bound to go into a 6PP~236K ender or something similar like 3PK against the light weight characters, but it's tougher to do since you have to be at the right angles and in stages like Hidden Garden and the Miyama area of the Unforgettable stage. It's a good alternative to 66K if you're not sure you'll get the close hit property since its more annoying to get with characters who have a while running version of their close hitter unless near walls.

And as for force techs:
So Mai's :236::P: was made even more worthless than before with v1.19. They made it so it causes the new "ground game" knock down juggle hit. Why and how is it worse? Because you only get your :2::P: ground hit if it hits them in the air. You can't do any force tech hits if they don't tech. AND if they are actually teching from the hit then Mai is -2 after their tech finishes.

Move is the most worthless move in the game as far as I am concerned, and they made it more worthless.

And you might be saying "But you do get that ground hit!", well sir, I'm sorry, but the juggles I sacrificed to award that 20% opportunity of 10 damage from them not teching provide more damage than that, better oki, and opportunity of a wall hit with wall oki.

So yes, worthless.

Worthless.
From what I've dug from Mai, TN really doesn't want her to be a character who really can get like how Kasumi can with her PP2K where she can just 2P or jab you up and when you do tech her she still is at advantage xD

That attack isn't what you'll want to use if want to force tech your foe, you'll have to use her 8P for that since you can tech them with 2K that way(you can't really use 2P since its not as reliable as a tech as 2K is, I think it's because it's a frame too quick to be useful when the foe can be teched.

Her :K::K::K: I learned is probably her best way to go for a force tech since you're always gonna be able to do a no time force tech(This is because of the flip knockback which is way better than her 236P force tech knock back) if the opponent doesn't tech up, so after a 8K launch, 66PK launch, H+K launch, a 3P launch when used at max critical threshold or done twice, 66T throw using an optimal refloat combo like 4P>4P~214P, and 3P+K in stun, you can use attacks as quick as her 13i 2P or as slow as her 20i 1K to reliably try to tech up the foe if they don't get up after the KKK. It kinda sacrifices max damage but if you want to go for + tech up set ups against light weights its viable when you're near walls since you'll wanna have the foe caged in a corner so you're slower tech stuff will connect since those have her better range, 2P is gonna only be useful when you're literally forcing the foe into a corner and you're super close.

For mid weights, everything from what I posted can be used for force tech set ups with KKK pretty much the same but with heavies like Rachel, you can't use 3P+K into KKK and you can only use her 3P at max threshold as launch into a KKK from her 8H+K FSD or her normal fatal stun, and 66PK can't be used either. I think overall they gimped her 236P and gave it the new property since everyone at this point has it but it just doesn't work for Mai at all, but it doesn't really hurt her since she has KKK if you want to go for force techs her way rather than the new universal way that either characters like Kasumi can abuse more or characters like Mai have little use of xDs

TL;DR or just to get to the point: KKK is Mai's real true way to go for force techs, her 236P was just an after thought that the devs didn't realize did nothing for her since the recovery makes it useless. But they can't really change it since if they lessen it, it'll probably make the fan more safe or more abuseable than they want and I don't think they want to risk that. They already opened a can of frozen worms with Kula's 236P ice breath and I can't imagine Mai with a safe up close fan projectile

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor

Learning Mai's stage combos in DOA6 and found this while focusing on normal hit combos, TN really should have made Mai's 4H+K soft wall splat imo since it has good combo utility xD this is for throwdown and I'll share more that I find from other stages

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD