DOA5U Kasumi's match video and critique thread

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Haha, Thanks PewPew! Kasumi has great movement and is able to move in between close or long range easily. Sarah can more or less match Kasumi on speed so zoning her isn't a terrible idea. The VF's hate zoners.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
Meh ... nothing to criticize from my point of view ... except the fact you spoiled Kasumi's awesome outfit with the glasses XD

(not saying that I don't like them, but they do not fit her in that costume)

Your Kasumi looks actually more solid as my one does.

Last edited:

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Lol, Hey the glasses are pure swag buddy :cool:! They go perfect with her little hat ;).

Nah, you got more experience with Kasumi than me. I just like Kasumi because I get to push a lot of buttons XD.

Last edited:

Tenryuga

*places it there*

As Kasumi you don't need to respect Hayabusa at round one fight. If you are not placing pokes on the screen you do it to gather data on the opponent. From the first round you see him starting with jabs which is an indication that he does not respect Kasumi. So in the second round you should have hit any button. 2P is the safest option at match start in this MU imo because it doesn't lose to anything a Hayabusa wants to do to you other than a SS attack. Nobody should feel like they have enough control to throw Kasumi at match start; That is an extremely difficult read to succeed in.

Everything else for the most part was fine. You just need to learn where you should and should not respect characters. Like in the first round the Hayabusa did PPP2P then proceeded to throw you. Then he did a guard break and you decided to attack. Your responses to these situations should have been reversed. When PPP2P hits on normal hit you have your chance to attack. When you block a guard break your opponent generally has the advantage.

Also do not use SSK as a launcher. If thats the one you want to use just do 3H+K. Her best mid kick launcher is 33K but 3H+K is a solid alternative.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Just some tips for those who are competing or looking to compete in tournaments since there are some coming up soon. Sometimes, you have to adjust to the monitor that you're playing on as well as your opponent. It can sometimes cost your juggles or may not be consistent with them in general. In this situation, just bite the bullet.

So after the 1st attempt of a move that you try like a wall slam going into 33P 2P variants as a follow up, it may drop due to the monitor issue. So if you've already attempted it, don't risk it again & take something simple like PKK7K as a follow up. Furthermore, you don't want to worry about completing a juggle throughout the whole entire match because that may be the reason that you lose especially if you can't consistently land it even without the monitor latency.

Go with something that you know, but also something that will hurt. You'll need juggles for every weight class. You also don't want to be superman & try to be fancy, using juggles trying to "swag" it out with your juggles. No, just get you some juggles; some that hurt, some that lead to oki/tech game, & more importantly get you through your matches, for each weight class. Otherwise, you're asking to get wrecked.

If you can hit them (the strongest juggles), then by all means go for it. Because you're maxing out on damage which hurts the opponent. If not, go with something a little more "simple but hurts". You just don't want to worry about this type of thing that will cost you the match. You have plenty of time to practice the juggles before another event or even between some matches if you have the leisure time. Just take the what you can get & live to fight another day.

Last edited:

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Just some tips for those who are competing or looking to compete in tournaments since there are some coming up soon. Sometimes, you have to adjust to the monitor that you're playing on as well as your opponent. So after the 1st attempt of a move that you try like a wall slam going into 33P 2P variants as a follow up, it may drop due to that issue. So if you've already attempted it, don't risk it again & take something simple like PKK7K as a follow up. Furthermore, you don't want to worry about completing a juggle throughout the whole entire match because that may be the reason that you lose. Go with something that you know, but also something that will hurt.

If you can hit them, then by all means go for it. If not, go with something a little bit "simple but hurts". You just don't want to worry about this type of thing that will cost you the match. Just take the what you can get & live to fight another day.

Indeed. This is the reason why I rarely attempt fancy or complicated looking combos. Because they're generally not worth it offline if there's a good chance that you may drop it. Once you become very comfortable with tournament play, you can start to add those fancypants combos that you've gone over a billion times in the lab (or online but that will throw off your offline timings). My mentor from SCV gave me the advice to choose "consistency" over max damage. It's better to hit a certain combo or punish everytime as opposed to getting max damage some of the time. If you can get max damage all the time then good for you!

Tones

Premium Donor
Some awesome Kasumi action by Ebabil on the Sunday at the SLSD finals in Melbourne

XxSakuraLuvaxX

A fight with a very well known Ryu player, you might even call him.. The 'master' of Ryu. (No?)
1. It's online, sooo.. No one does anything after 2Ps and I LOVE to hold spam.
2. Backed up at start from lag spikes
3. low kicks weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
4. 3P+K at range is just a habit of mine. Same with 9PK.

UprisingJC

A fight with a very well known Ryu player, you might even call him.. The 'master' of Ryu. (No?)
1. It's online, sooo.. No one does anything after 2Ps and I LOVE to hold spam.
2. Backed up at start from lag spikes
3. low kicks weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
4. 3P+K at range is just a habit of mine. Same with 9PK.

I'm curious about a few things
1. You seem to like 2H+K as well as 6PK2K a lot. Any reasons for that move?
2. What were you trying to do in the interval(1:35 ~ 1:45) of the match? You whiffed 7K and 2H+K a couple of times.

XxSakuraLuvaxX

I'm curious about a few things
1. You seem to like 2H+K as well as 6PK2K a lot. Any reasons for that move?
2. What were you trying to do in the interval(1:35 ~ 1:45) of the match? You whiffed 7K and 2H+K a couple of times.
People I see usually go for an aggressive approach after 6PK, adding a follow up keeps them in check.. I know it's not the best option. :oops: The sweep itself usually lets me hit a grounded 2P, they tech, then I 3P+K 9PT- didn't seem to work on them though. If they do hold the sweep, I stop then do it later in the match/switch to 6PKK/no followup

I have absolutely no explanation for the random 7K.. wee, buttons!

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
A casual match with an offline buddy. Ugh, I need more practice with Kasumi, I kept trying to do Light-weight combos on Hayate lol >.<.

He's a former DOA4 player and Hayate main interested in getting back into DOA. I'm looking to help train him in the future.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
One of the last matches I had with Kasumi. I was unsafe and had that bad habit of low holding, but any tips/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Not much too criticize imo.

I was about to write you should stop using 4PK that often and use 6P(K) instead, but you did so towards the end. Maybe you could use 6P2K and similar a bit more to apply pressure and condition your opponent.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
One of the last matches I had with Kasumi. I was unsafe and had that bad habit of low holding, but any tips/feedback is greatly appreciated.

You played pretty decently here. Good use of PP2K, and an interesting setup into 46T. What I've noticed is that you use 4P as a poke when it's follow-ups are very risky when blocked. Like PewPew mentioned, 6P is a much better poke because it has the safe 6PK string, and technically a high/mid/low mix-up (with 6P2K being a solid mix-up to 6PK, and 6PP gives a SDS on CH, though is the least recommended of the 3 options especially if blocked).

I also noticed that you autopilot a bit through threshold (i.e. you always use 6K to put the opponent in critical stun). It's not a bad thing per se since it was working lol, but I'd catch on to something like that offline and punish the habit. Overall, I'd just say substitute 4P for 6P when poking.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor

You were free canceling fine, but like you said, you were being very unsafe. Try to avoid throwing out 4PK & 66PP into 6P+K KK against a blocking opponent. Only go through with that if it lands on them. Even still, you have to mixup with it because if they know that you're going to use 6P+KP coming out of the dash, then they're going to low hold or just hold you out of it. If you think that will happen (low hold), then that's when you just use 66PP6P+K & then you have more options to work with. P+K, 6K, 33K, 3P etc. Mids that will force them to respect the dash. You don't have to commit to KK or P each time from that. That's only if you know for a fact that they're not going to know when to react to it.

Also, when you're pressuring & if the opponent is blocking, use 7i throws 46T or 7T & condition them to stop blocking. Use more of her low strings as well. Don't use 2H+K for a force up. It's too slow & you're going to get punished hardbody if a good opponent techs. Go with 4H+K if you see that they like to stay on the ground, but that's also punishable. Work on moves that aren't slow escapable as well her guaranteed options. You also need to take your damage more. Just launch. The Kokoro was predicting your patterns through the stun system when you attempted to go for the grabs. Just launch & take your damage. From the looks of things, you have her teleport juggle timing down, so you can branch out a little further & make your combos hurt a lot more. Also, try to throw punish more with a 7i throw. 5i throw isn't bad by any means, but you're risking guaranteed damage for putting yourself in a neutral situation, basically bailing your opponent out of being penalized for being unsafe. That's all that jumped out at me.

Last edited:

Allan Paris

@misamia303

The use of 4P(K) is fine. 4P is just as good as 6P. From close, mid, and long range there is no telling what will not go under 6P. 4P on the other hand you are good to go. Nothing will go under it and it is only 1 frame slower. It also crushes and has way more range than 6P.

Playing against this player if you delayed K from 4P you would have CH launch them often. They kept waiting for pauses and noticeable free cancels before they hit a button. 4P's string variants can be delayed for a lengthy period of time, and because the Mid Kick out of it does a decent amount of damage you will not be out prioritized when a button is hit to interrupt you on the delay.

You avoiding unsafety with Kasumi is comical. I have been playing her for years and I can't avoid it. All you can do is disguise it with certain setups, and learn to how to recognize when you are hitting someone (Hit Confirm). Knowing how a player is going to respond to you and how you press buttons goes a long way as well but, that needs to be done with any character.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD