DOA5U Kasumi's match video and critique thread

Soaring Zero

This is a video to show you guys an illustration of why I say you should never bombrush somebody or try to come in on somebody with 66K as Kasumi. I am not the player this vid and my friend was just trolling with Brad Wong and got massive results. Just watch the part from 1:30 till the end of that round. That's generally what happens against anybody with a good keepout move such as Ein's 4K, 46P or Ayane's spin attacks / 3H+K when you try to foolishly rush in with Kasumi.

Lol that was hilarious. And kind of sad at the same time. I had to learn the hard way that rushing in with 66K is an awful idea. The alternate version is a lot safer but it can still get caught by someone who is watching for it. I've been trying not to rush in like that anymore. Instead I try, and I emphasize TRY, to bait whiffs and punish with 66P.

Tenryuga

Some warm up matches. Kasumi play starts around the 4 Min mark. I'm playing her slightly different these days but nothing too fancy.

Very nice use of stuns and frame advantage in the second round. Your offense with her seems calm and composed. I also like your footwork with her. Many Kasumi players like to stay in your face 24 / 7 but you move in and out and always stay within an ideal range. It's pretty cool and effective. Solid play overall.

That force tech after H+K was sick. Is the damage she loses out on worth going for that over the guaranteed damage in your opinion or do you reserve it for specific situations?

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
Hey finally a new video from Shade playing Kasumi in DOA5U, so great!

Since I would never presume to criticize one of the best Kasumi player's around, I just want to bring out my thoughts about that video.

I'm suprised that you were able to land so much low kicks against your opponent. If I fight people who are above S-, they react fast and hold or block them. Same goes for these wakeup kicks.

You are using :6::6::F: a lot, I don't know if I should do this more too. Actually, I'm more aversed to it, cause it get's escaped so much :(

What I like most is that spacing game that Tenryuga also mentioned. I always try to play this way too, but I still have problems to start the offensive then.

Additional notes for myself:
  • try out using :1::K: more at mid distance, just to goad on the opponent
  • use the variations of :P+K: more often
  • try to get in with some :P::P::P: after spacing, just like at 5:26
  • try out that force tech combo ;)
  • remember that :6::P: on CH followed by :1::P::P: leads very fast to a critical burst (I mostly forget this) and could work against people that love using low holds
That Hayate/Rig match up was also great btw. Thanks for that video, it's like a christmas present for me. I'm looking forward to see more of this.

:kasumi:

PS: To everyone who is thinking that I am a Shade Swifteye fanboy: Yes I am.

Princess Kasumi

^

I think it depends on who you fight against and there wasnt any throw punishment during this match :p

yes most people either block my lows and my strings during pp, i bet he have no chance against jackblight, the guy that play as ein, he is really dangerous.

Shade

Very nice use of stuns and frame advantage in the second round. Your offense with her seems calm and composed. I also like your footwork with her. Many Kasumi players like to stay in your face 24 / 7 but you move in and out and always stay within an ideal range. It's pretty cool and effective. Solid play overall.

That force tech after H+K was sick. Is the damage she loses out on worth going for that over the guaranteed damage in your opinion or do you reserve it for specific situations?

In a situation where they have the majority of their health bar remaining absolutely. She has so many great options afterwards that its certainly worth it. Otherwise if I know I can end the round or almost end the round, ill do a normal combo because they are going to tech from fear of a finishing 2P.

^

I think it depends on who you fight against and there wasnt any throw punishment during this match :p

yes most people either block my lows and my strings during pp, i bet he have no chance against jackblight, the guy that play as ein, he is really dangerous.

I agree. But, during the course of an extended set (we played probably 20 matches with various characters), I will occasionally throw out obvious strings to keep my opponents honest in their blocking especially if I have a heavy life lead. For example I throw out 6PK all the time, so its easy for opponents to get lulled into thinking the low is never coming. If Jack is on Xbox or coming out to a tournament, send him on over. I like playing good players and of course like my chances against anyone :p

I'll see what I can do about getting some more videos posted now that I able to record with decent quality, but I usually don't play Kasumi online much.

UprisingJC

Shade, I have a few questions after watching your video.

In 6:14 and 6:16 you got in with Kasumi's 66K.

That move covers a decent distance but has POOR hitbox and followups.

How do you think about her newly added throw: 46T ?
I personally use 66T a lot more than I use that throw.

Tenryuga

Hey finally a new video from Shade playing Kasumi in DOA5U, so great!

You are using :6::6::F: a lot, I don't know if I should do this more too. Actually, I'm more aversed to it, cause it get's escaped so much :(

66T is arguably Kasumi's best grab in the neutral game since it leads to 70+ points of guaranteed damage off an i7 grab. It's only flaw is that it is breakable but if you master the just frame timing that throw is never getting escaped. To practice it start by setting the computers throw escape to fast. Leave it there till it cannot break it. Then move to fastest and do the same.

Yeah 66K really needs a better hitbox. It's the entire reason why I feel the move screams whiff punisher due to the NH stun and it being -10 on block. Some players have either the reactions or balls to throw punish that.

As for 46T my feelings are mixed. It does low damage but provides frame advantage. The thing is though Kasumi is not as good at capitalizing off of it as Hitomi does hers IMO because the strings she has to work with are limited. Her jabs cannot reach so she has to use mids, some of which have a shitty hitbox. To track she has to use P+K which I wouldn't mind if it was safer. Both hits of this string are unsafe so if she gets blocked she's either unsafe or can't continue pressure.

Another thing about P+K is that the tracking is not reliable against characters like Hayate. His special sidestep has escaped BOTH P+K AND 6K. I'm not going to bother talking about 6K as that move fails hardbody as a tracking and as a pressure move.

Another thing to note about 46T is that with proper timing on the followup it seems to eliminate the opponents ability to duck and fuzzy guard. This was tested on the CPU however and the only other place where I have confirmed it is online which we all know isn't reliable so I would appreciate it if anybody could try this on a human opponent offline and see if this is true.

Last edited:

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
Another thing to note about 46T is that with proper timing on the followup it seems to eliminate the opponents ability to duck and fuzzy guard. This was tested on the CPU however and the only other place where I have confirmed it is online which we all know isn't reliable so I would appreciate it if anybody could try this on a human opponent offline and see if this is true.

Sorry, can't help you there, no offline opponents around. :cool:

66T is arguably Kasumi's best grab in the neutral game since it leads to 70+ points of guaranteed damage off an i7 grab. It's only flaw is that it is breakable but if you master the just frame timing that throw is never getting escaped. To practice it start by setting the computers throw escape to fast. Leave it there till it cannot break it. Then move to fastest and do the same.

I will do that, you can bet on it. Thanks for the tipp.

Shade

My mindset was, hes going to press a non evasive strike button at that distance in that moment and I was looking for the hit. I wasn't really expecting the short range crush from zack at that distance considering had I not done anything at all he would've whiffed badly. In fact I did it again just to see if he was doing it on reaction lol.

46T has grown on me. But only in select situations such as if it their back is against the wall or stun resets. I too prefer 66T because it covers a better distance when applying pressure.

Soaring Zero

Question about Kasumi's 66T. Is there a certain move you have to follow it with to get the guaranteed damage or can you do pretty much anything fast enough to score it? I always hesitate to go for this throw for fear I'll mess up the follow up and miss out on good damage.

Tenryuga

Question about Kasumi's 66T. Is there a certain move you have to follow it with to get the guaranteed damage or can you do pretty much anything fast enough to score it? I always hesitate to go for this throw for fear I'll mess up the follow up and miss out on good damage.

6P6K is always guaranteed after 66T. You can also use 6PK for stun game.

Soaring Zero

Ok that helps a lot. Now I just need to get the timing down for it and I can actually start using it during matches.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
Since I had some nice fights on PSN (finally got a PS3 now :rolleyes:) yesterday, I wanted to try the upload function right away, so why not showing the replays right here.

The connection was quite good, although my opponents have been from the US. I still have to accustom myself to the PS controller a bit more, nevertheless I think this wasn't my worst performance. :cool:

Please feel free to criticize.

Btw: Did I mention that I hate to fight Brad Wong? xD

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I had a few input errors in the 1st one. :p 6P+K came out when I went for 6P because of lag. I had more videos than this, but they were corrupted. I wish I had equipment to record on Xbox 360 rather than just uploading them from PS3.

I was also a tad bit rusty too. I'll be back with more now that I'm back into the mood swing. I just have to find some good players to play against. Hopefully, I can find somebody on 360 who will record too.

Last edited by a moderator:

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Since I had some nice fights on PSN (finally got a PS3 now :rolleyes:) yesterday, I wanted to try the upload function right away, so why not showing the replays right here.

The connection was quite good, although my opponents have been from the US. I still have to accustom myself to the PS controller a bit more, nevertheless I think this wasn't my worst performance. :cool:

Please feel free to criticize.

Btw: Did I mention that I hate to fight Brad Wong? xD[/quote

I seen you do 33P after a critical burst. After you use 6P+K, you would actually hurt your opponent a lot more if you use either 33K, 236P, or freestep to the side & use 4H+K for a high bounce. Their juggles hurt a lot worse than 33P. Also, H+K 6K can be slow escaped. You're better off going with the guaranteed H+K 9K because you're guaranteed damage and don't have to risk passing up damage. Raw power blowing is also not a good thing to do within a mixup. H+K > 2K > CB is a good set up, but it's not guaranteed (in case you didn't know that).

Also, you want to be careful with the use of 4PK. The Brad Wong player should've punished you hardbody for it. It's highly unsafe. Be careful with 3P+KT or a running oboro as well. A good player is blowing you up if they see you just throwing it out on the screen. 7K is also a move that shouldn't be used on start.

In space, H+K into her knee isn't a good idea, either. If you're in space, you want to make sure your footsie game is good & catch them with either 66P or 66K as a whiff punisher.

If this is too much, then I apologize lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
If this is too much, then I apologize lol.
First of all, no worries, it's not. Thank you very much for giving some feedback.

I seen you do 33P after a critical burst. After you use 6P+K, you would actually your opponent a lot more if you use either 33K, 236P, or freestep to the side & use 4H+K for a high bounce. Their juggles hurt a lot worse than 33P.

I see. Currently, I try to make my gameplay/used moves a bit more varied and I'm still learning some combos. I tend to use the same moves every time because I'm afraid to lose damage I could have done when dropping a combo. I think I also have to concentrate more while playing, sometimes, I forget about all the tools I can use for combos/juggles (excitement :confused:). I'll try to use the moves you've mentioned more.

Also, H+K 6K can be slow escaped. You're better off going with the guaranteed H+K 9K because you're guaranteed damage and don't have to risk passing up damage

Yeah, I know that it can be slow escaped. Actually, I only use it one or two times to see if my opponent is slow escaping. If he is, I wont use it again.

I did not know that H+K 9K is guaranteed, sounds like it's really worth to use it then.

Also, you want to be careful with the use of 4PK. The Brad Wong player should've punished you hardbody for it. It's highly unsafe.

I have to admit that I don't know yet what tools Brad has to punish that. I like to use 4PK because I can free-cancel the followup, what works on most opponents. I know it's unsafe on paper, but it's difficult for most characters to punish it, because it pushes them away a bit, even when they block.

Be careful with 3P+KT or a running oboro as well. A good player is blowing you up if they see you just throwing it out on the screen

Tenryuga also told me that. I promise I will use it very rarely. :oops:

7K is also a move that shouldn't be used on start.
That's a bad habit, I'm already trying so hard to break.

If you're in space, you want to make sure your footsie game is good & catch them with either 66P or 66K as a whiff punisher.

Yeah, I was already trying out these moves, I still have to learn when it's the right situation for using them.

Like I said before, thank's a lot. Here is some more stuff, maybe you find something else that is important to mention.

Tenryuga

@JDE Try not to give up the advantage Kasumi has at round 1 fight too often. Against the Momiji player, whose speeds are 10/12/14 vs 9/11/12 there were two rounds you blocked against her when she should be the one blocking against you in round 1 fight. Then against Lisa who is an overall slower character you SS at R1F. You don't want to do that at round 1 fight because Lisa only has two options to keep Kasumi in check: crush or 4H+K which beats her 11i mid because of its crappy hitbox and out-speeds / out-damages the rest of them. The main crushes Lisa has also track so by sidestepping you are actually making it easier, not harder, for her to get a hit on you at round 1 fight.

As for your offense try to get rid of the predictable poking habits. 9 times out of 10 you 6P and if it's blocked you free cancel into 4P, then free cancel that which is pretty bad on offense because if it's blocked it's easy for the opponent to retaliate. All they have to do is use a high crushing move the minute they see you don't go into 4P2K or just simply duck because the strings have no good mixup value outside of stun. You should use 4P as a defensive counter poke or in MUs where her 6P gets fucked over by it's garbage hitbox. 6P and 3P are far better on offense because 6P has good delayable string followups as well as 3P due to the 2 in 1 on counterhit.

1K. Work on your mix-up after 1K because you go mid punch after it too often. Every Kasumi want's that 6P for the NH stun game opener after 1K on people that don't SE. To make it easier to land that you gotta start frustrating people with other options otherwise they won't be afraid to hold mid punch after it every time.

Your stun game is fine and you get the max damage from your juggles so that's good. Just work on mixing it up and being more threatening on offense.

I have to admit that I don't know yet what tools Brad has to punish that. I like to use 4PK because I can free-cancel the followup, what works on most opponents. I know it's unsafe on paper, but it's difficult for most characters to punish it, because it pushes them away a bit, even when they block.

This only happens because of latency online I guarantee you. Kasumi cannot delay 4PK's followup so as soon as it blocked the minute the opponent spots the cancel they just need to hit 5T or 6T. I'm speaking from experience because I've faced a player in offline casuals that likes to do the same thing with 4PK and hoshinpo knees. It's not too difficult to react to the cancel either so yeah if someone feels like it they can throw punish that.

Last edited:

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
First of all, no worries, it's not. Thank you very much for giving some feedback.

I see. Currently, I try to make my gameplay/used moves a bit more varied and I'm still learning some combos. I tend to use the same moves every time because I'm afraid to lose damage I could have done when dropping a combo. I think I also have to concentrate more while playing, sometimes, I forget about all the tools I can use for combos/juggles (excitement :confused:). I'll try to use the moves you've mentioned more.

Yeah, I know that it can be slow escaped. Actually, I only use it one or two times to see if my opponent is slow escaping. If he is, I wont use it again.

I did not know that H+K 9K is guaranteed, sounds like it's really worth to use it then.

Tenryuga also told me that. I promise I will use it very rarely. :oops:

That's a bad habit, I'm already trying so hard to break.

Yeah, I was already trying out these moves, I still have to learn when it's the right situation for using them.

Like I said before, thank's a lot. Here is some more stuff, maybe you find something else that is important to mention.

Ah no problem. I will look at the others a bit later & get back to you on it to see how I can help you. Don't get me wrong, 33P is godlike especially for a wall juggle, but you're using a CB which means you should be doing shitload of damage:

CB > FS > 4H+K KK7K 6P+K > 9PK > 6P+K > KK (Universal)
CB > 33K > 33P > 2P > PKK7K ( or PKKK both this & PKK7K works on all but heavysets so 4PKK heavyset), a great wall juggle
CB > 236P > KK7K > 6P+K > 9PK > 6P+K > KK (Works on mostly feather to lightweights)

Those are some to name a few.

On the wall hit, 33P > 2P > then combo. That's when it's the most valuable.

@Tenryuga yeah thanks for the heads up. Rusty, & was on autopilot because I've picked up on Blader's habits lol. I've been doing that a lot since I've been back. I'll work on it. Appreciate it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD