Let's say DOA6 only has 20 original characters on release

KwonJigglypuff

1447449616-phwaubo.png

With 34 characters in its roster (and soon 35), the DOA serie never had so many fighters in a single game.
This thread could have been called "what are the 20 characters TN should prioritize for a sequel ?", as it is obvious some of them won't be available on release. It's hard to believe Team Ninja will make 35+ new models on the due date, as Tecmo is apparently more and more pushing them to release games on restricted time. They would also need time to make new fighters from scratch.

Of course it doesn't prevent them from releasing all the missing characters with DLCs (like SF5 will do), but which characters should they include in the default cast, story mode and marketing strategy ? The same thing happened with Leon and Ein, who were planned for DOA5 Vanilla, but cut due to the lack of time, meaning they were the two characters with the least priority at the time.

I would like you to respect some criterias if you can, such as :
- their overall popularity in Japan and in the West
- the uniqueness of their gameplay and their individuality
- their relevance to the story and their relations to other characters

Also this is not a battle between fans, so let's be nice.

Time to theorize! Choose 20 characters between these 30 characters and be objective!

:alpha152::ayane::bass::bayman::bradwong::christie::ein::eliot::genfu::hayate:
:helena::hitomi::honoka::jannlee::kasumi::kokoro::La Mariposa::leifang::leon::marierose:
:mila::momiji::nyotengu::phase4::rachel::cyborg::rig::hayabusa::tina::zack:

VF characters are excluded
No arguments regarding dead characters

E.g : "Brad has poor relevance to the story, and is not the most popular character, but his fighting style is unique and most fighting games have a drunk guy... his choregraphies are nice, and if they want to advertize the removal of clipping, I'd say he would be a great candidate... also I feel like players need a trolling characters with multiple options... based on that, I'd say we should keep/remove him."

Last edited:

Mayor-Of-Mustard

I feel like Alpha, Ein, Gen Fu, either Leon or Bayman (most likely Leon), Momiji, Rachel and Phase might be candidates to be out. Maybe Nyo, Honoka and Raidou will be unlockable in-game whilst the rest come in remakes or as DLC characters

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Characters who more than likely won't make debut are Leon, Ein, Raidou, Rachel, Alpha, and Mila.
Aside from Rachel these are probably the least used characters, least popular, widely considered boring to watch because of limited move sets (namely Mila as shown many times in our own community), and in ways more difficult to use than the rest of the cast. Aside from Alpha (not really the case anymore aside from "mass production") they all have almost zero relativity to the current story. I could see Raidou showing up as a boss fight and Mila making some kind of appearance for Tina and Bass purposes (I want to see what happens when she finally meets Bass) but Ein is gone (unless TN does what they could have done in 5 and have him come back because of the Epsilon was reactivation and Hayate has a relapse from it) and Leon would have nothing to do unless MIST does something with Bayman or Lauren (I would love if Lauren became a playable character). While I doubt they would get a launch appearance I would be pleasantly surprised if any of them did (except Alpha).

Story plays a big part of who stays in. Right now MIST is the end game. Aside from Eliot, Gen Fu, Tina, Lei Fang, Jan Lee, and Nyotengu the remaining characters are central to the currently unfolding story aside from Momiji. Eliot would remain almost strictly to grow his crush on Ayane (Brad would exist solely for Eliot) and Gen Fu would be there to teach Eliot. Nyotengu would get in just from popularity (she really has no story relevance whatsoever).

Momiji I am putting in a middle ground (and didn't include in the other lists) because she is popular in DOA and could be an even 50/50 if she makes it into launch or as a post release character. Depends on Ninja Gaiden.

In terms of the DOA Tournament part of the story we would get Jan Lee back (defending position as winner), as a character link to Jan Lee we would get Lei Fang (kinda out of necessity at this point), and Tina is linked to Zack and Bass (ignoring her link to Mila from reasons stated above).

Characters guaranteed to come back are Kasumi, Ayane, Ryu, Hayate, Phase 4, Helena, Christie, La Mariposa (MIST connection), Rig (MIST connection as well as the current open ending for him regarding Donovan, obvious as it is), Bass (Rig connection/Super Heavyweight), Bayman (Helena/Christie/Super Heavyweight), Marie Rose (sheer popularity alone would get her in even without her connection to Helena), Kokoro (MIST connection), Zack (Helena/DOA connection), and Hitomi (Hayate).

My final list would be that Kasumi, Ayane, Ryu, Hayate, Phase 4, Christie, Helena, La Mariposa, Rig, Bass, Bayman, Marie Rose, Honoka, Kokoro, Zack, Hitomi, Jan Lee, Lei Fang, Tina, and Eliot would make it if the roster were to be limited to 20 characters.

BTW if I guessed this completely correctly (if DOA6 happens) someone has to buy me the game.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot about Honoka. Took out Brad from my list but he would still definitely make it in if Eliot made it.

Last edited:

P2p1mbs

Unlike DOAX3, I'm fairly certain that characters that have been in the series much longer take priority since they have a larger number of players.

Obviously, the 4 ninja characters will be the top priority followed by the most story relevant characters starting with Helena, Bayman, and Christie.

Besides these 7, everyone else is free game.

My wish list (chosen based on story relevance, gameplay uniqueness, and popularity, no particular order):
:bass:
:eliot:
:jannlee:
:hitomi:
:leifang:
:kokoro:
:tina:
:zack:
:rig:
:marierose:
:bradwong:
:mila:
:lisa:

Everyone else would then be released as DLC

KING JAIMY

The 10 who would be left out would probably be :alpha152:, :ein:, :lisa:, :leon:, :mila:, :momiji:, :nyotengu:, :phase4:, :rachel:, and :cyborg:.

However, in my honest opinion I only think Alpha will be left out. I just had to pick ten of them for the sake of the thread and these ten seem to have the smallest chance of returning in DOA 6 in my opinion.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
The 10 who would be left out would probably be :alpha152:, :ein:, :lisa:, :leon:, :mila:, :momiji:, :nyotengu:, :phase4:, :rachel:, and :cyborg:.

However, in my honest opinion I only think Alpha will be left out. I just had to pick ten of them for the sake of the thread and these ten seem to have the smallest chance of returning in DOA 6 in my opinion.
I hope they don't toss Momiji and rachel...their styles were very unique and I like them so much...Phase included. The others you listed I can see not appearing, especially Lisa with her... "accident ".

P2p1mbs

The way I see it, a severely limited budget would be the only reason for a reduction in the cast size, and given the fact that this is TNs MOST IMPORTANT game series, the odds of KT limiting their budget so much that they can only include 20 characters seems highly unlikely.

I think a WAY more cynical move would be for them to completely REMOVE ALL of the male characters and replace them with female equivalents if only to maximize DLC sales.

Mayor-Of-Mustard

I think a WAY more cynical move would be for them to completely REMOVE ALL of the male characters and replace them with female equivalents if only to maximize DLC sales.
nonononononononoononononononononononnoononononononononononononononooooooo. How will the story make sense then?
Mila (meets bass) "omigod so excited"
Mila: "wait when did bass have tits"
Bassette: "since DLC"
Tina: "wtf dad"

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Isn't Tengu dead? If he was alive, I could see the replacement but I see Nyo as more of an aristocratic flirty successor to the original Tengu. Ignore the SpongeBob pic below, it wouldn't go away :p

Attachments

• Sea_Chicken_Shack_Cashier.png
    Sea_Chicken_Shack_Cashier.png
    135.6 KB · Views: 223

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Tengu is dead but he's still been playable up to 4. They reinvented him as a female character to make the character popular and made his moveset more viable with better frames and added capabilities.

Mayor-Of-Mustard

I know this will never happen but imagine if Bankutsubo came back and Nyotengu got an original fighting style.

i can only dream

I think the reason they replaced Bankutstubo with Nyotengu is because Raidou came back to life as a cyborg by MIST and they didn't want to repeat the "coming back" part again idk halp they only did it for titties

vinaro

This is the roster I want

Kasumi
Ayane
Hayabusa
Hayate
Bass
Tina
Leifang
Jann Lee
Eliot
Zack
Christie
Lisa
Bayman
Honoka
Marie rose
Helena
Kokoro
Rig
Mila
Hitomi

Remove Mila (or Kokoro) and Bass for the 2 new characters.

P2p1mbs

Too late.
nyotengut.png

^ this here is exactly why i thought of this as a possibility, TN made her over reintroducing tengu clearly because they knew they can get more DLCs out of her and could get away with it, whats to say they wont take it to the Xtreme (heh) by doing the same for all the other males?

Granted, they reintroduced raidou as a cyborg but they also introduced honoka who while possessing a completely different playstyle is still a character who derived her moves from everyone else. Again, this is a very cynical belief and Im sure TN would know better than to do it

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
20 characters for DOA6? Bring back 5 characters and add 15 new characters. The new team is actually really capable and I would like more original content from them. Mila, Rig and Marie Rose were amazing additions to the series. I might even consider those part of the "new cast."

Last edited:

lotr9690

:helena:. That's all I care about! ... Just kidding ;)

I could make two lists... More Subjective and More Objective.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
More Subjective List (Variable: Who I would like to see)

:helena::lisa::leifang::christie::bayman::ein::bass::genfu::rig::zack:
:phase4::marierose::nyotengu::mila:
:jannlee::bradwong::eliot:
:ayane::hayabusa:
:momiji:

Defense: I hate that certain characters have multiple versions of themselves - mainly Kasumi. She has Alpha, Phase and Alpha 152. For this list, I chose my favorite of those versions: Phase 4. I would love to see her as a staple in future DOA games. I don't even care if Ayane and Hayate tried to kill her in that half-assed story mode, which resulted in a majorly awkward moaning-death scene. Not a big deal. Helena and the good people at DOATEC can fix that. They've done it several times before. I will take Phase-4 in lieu of Kasumi any day. To be honest I'm kinda over Kasumi - she's so vanilla gameplay wise (compared to Phase-4). Admittedly, Kasumi and Phase-4 are equally okay/vanilla compared to the rest of the cast but when push comes to shove I want Phase 4 in my corner. She's much less of a sociopath compared to Kasumi (Phase 4 is able to question the existential impact of every fighting encounter... Kasumi has been conditioned to leave and 'appear' to be sad -- she's a sociopath, I say! ;) - seriously, tho she probably is).

Second is Hayate. I would hate to see him go but, Ein was here first (in the series). I don't care about Hayate. Do what you must do in the story. Call it DOA:6 RE:Amnesia, for all I care but just do it. Hayate can be the "unlockable" character or something. Or you can just add them both. Make sure Ein's in. No strings, and all. With his 1P.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
More Objective List
:helena::La Mariposa::leifang::christie::bayman::hitomi::bass::genfu::rig::zack:
:kasumi::marierose::honoka::hayate:
:jannlee::bradwong::eliot:
:ayane::hayabusa:
:kokoro:

Preorder/Future Bonus DLC Character: :nyotengu:/:momiji:

Defense of certain choices:
:La Mariposa:: They're gonna play up Lisa supposedly dying so they're gonna feature the perpetually "mysterious" luchadora, La Mariposa. At most, La Mariposa will remind them of the missing scientist "Lisa Hamilton." No one in the cast will put two-and-two together! Nor will they remember if she has already been exposed as Lisa. Not even after all they've been through.
It's cuz she has a mask on. She could be wearing the Venus, at the DOA6 Beach/Water stage, saying "AkusesarīShoppu!" or "SupōtsuShoppu!" in front of a boardwalk restaurant with a DOAXBV ad playing on a TV in the background ... still nothing. Anime logic. Gotta love it.
:mila: She has a unique fighting style and I enjoy her. I want her in. . I like that she looks like an average Spanish person; i.e. not the stereotypical Mediterranean looking woman. Plus she's fun to use. But she seems expendable from TN's standpoint. For TN, she's hard to dress for fans - they really don't know what to do for DLC (a huge motivation for Koei; cash-grab) and fans don't really like to buy for her -- from what I've seen. So she might not make the cut.

:hayate:: See above. :(
:nyotengu:/:momiji:: They're both popular but not enough to influence a purchase like Marie Rose/Honoka might be able. They are semi-popular. We'll likely see these characters "sweeten" the deal for certain packages or future DLC.

Thanks @KwonJigglypuff for an interesting discussion idea. I'm glad that you framed it as a "who will be in" rather than the "who's gonna get cut!" :)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD