Lets talk about redesigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca Beam

uh you're reenacting exactly what you said in the quote

1900-come-on-now, kokonoe was good, but if she's in doa you would still have to suffer the same discussions. waah waah why is she young. waah waah why doesn't she have H cups. waah why a catgirl

and nah, not flat + no expression is already a polar opposite of what marie rose was. she's there to reel in the ayanami fans, if anything.

Dr PaC

Surpassing the phase of "I don't like NiCO because she's not the new waifu I was expecting", and lets be fair, that's 50%, if not more, of the people complaining about her, I'm still not digging the character too much. I mean, lets think about her role: a young genius scientist. Man, they've could given us a cooler badass character, like Kokonoe A. Mercury from BlazBlue, and they ruined that opportunity by trying to appeal to the Marie Rose's fanbase -.-"

At this point, I'm upset for the character for that reason more than anything else. The concept for her could be a lot more cooler.

Ahhhhh~~, at least I hope that now Lisa dropes her role as scientist and sticks to her luchadora's persona, which is where she should be.

After two "near death" experiences, I would hope Lisa drops that Scientist job as well, lol. But maybe she likes the danger it brings, who knows 0_0

human013

You should! Tina and Lisa are a ton of fun! I'm getting art of them done for my Hitbox and I'm super stoked now that both have been confirmed for 6.

No one said Lisa was evil! You can be working on the wrong side of things and not be evil. :) I bet in 6 she's all good.
I have only known Lisa for one game but you're right. She did worry about other characters even though she played a part in the cloning project. She does look like she is good now and it makes sense. How can you side with people who left you to die? DOA6 better show how she managed to escape.

I'll add to the discussion. I was never a wrestling fan so La Mariposa was never interesting and the same goes for Bass and Tina. But this Lisa girl I keep on hearing about? Now she is a character I'm interested in.

On a more serious note, I'm not too knowledgeable in her wrestling style/theme but I don't like her new outfit much. It's really flashy. Kind of prefer something more like her DOA5 outfit if I had to choose a wrestling outfit (I never chose her wrestling outfit in DOA5). I'm assuming she does a different type of wrestling from Tina and Bass since their outfits are less flashy.

Atahotaku

uh you're reenacting exactly what you said in the quote
and nonsense. not flat + no expression is already a polar opposite of what marie rose was. she's there to reel in the ayanami fans, if anything.
Yes, in that phrase in her conversation with Christie opposing her she's what I'm expecting of her. But then they have to ruin it with all the fucking kawaii bullshit poses with the fingers that reminds me at Luna...

Dr PaC

I have only known Lisa for one game but you're right. She did worry about other characters even though she played a part in the cloning project. She does look like she is good now and it makes sense. How can you side with people who left you to die? DOA6 better show how she managed to escape.

I'll add to the discussion. I was never a wrestling fan so La Mariposa was never interesting and the same goes for Bass and Tina. But this Lisa girl I keep on hearing about? Now she is a character I'm interested in.

On a more serious note, I'm not too knowledgeable in her wrestling style/theme but I don't like her new outfit much. It's really flashy. Kind of prefer something more like her DOA5 outfit if I had to choose a wrestling outfit (I never chose her wrestling outfit in DOA5). I'm assuming she does a different type of wrestling from Tina and Bass since their outfits are less flashy.

To me, if you're familiar with Virtua Fighter, she was always like a toned down El Blaze. She's different from Tina and Bass by being more mobile and having unorthodox ways to set the opponent up for grapples and command grabs from her normals. And now that they're showing new set ups and giving her more options, she looks like she'll be pretty strong this game. She was a little linear to me in DOA5LR, but maybe I just didnt understand her as well as Lisa mains since I always liked Tina more. Im real interested in Lisa this time tho

Atahotaku

Tina and Bass do the american style of wrestling, while Lisa use Lucha Libre, the mexican style of wrestling, and some capoeira too.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor

Lisa/La Mariposa is a Luchadora so she is a female professional wrestler that utilizes the Latin American Lucha Libre form. They are renown for their over the top costumes centered around very flamboyant and eye catching masks with brightly colored themes.

Macca Beam

Yes, in that phrase in her conversation with Christie opposing her she's what I'm expecting of her. But then they have to ruin it with all the fucking kawaii bullshit poses with the fingers that reminds me at Luna...
see, it's always false expectations that doom people
if you could shit out electricity from your body you would be doing stupid poses as well. look at marvel characters

Truth

translation: if it's a done to death and safe trope and i like it, it's good. then again, if having common tropes is a "rite of passage in fighting games", then an impossibly young supergenius ALSO fits that bill because it is a trope.
"so long as they are formed convincingly and make sense". Moving on.
and i suppose the rest of the cast also disguised themselves as a stripper to catch their prey somewhere in a game's ending? did lisa's luchadora costumes have any purpose other than entertaining the crowd and the viewer? is tina even a cowgirl? what reason does a rig worker have to wear a hood but leave his chest exposed?
1. Lisa has a luchadora costume.... becaste she is literally a luchadora. Thats her profession.
2. Rig has his chest (as well as his arms) exposed to make visible his tattoos, which are mean to compliment his personality type
3. I did not know you had to be a cowgirl to wear a fedora, who knew!

you're the first person i've seen that gets turned on by someone flashing some handsigns. not joking
You must be new to the franchise if you think Nico's body language will remain as simple "hand signs".
hot take: the only reason DOA is and will never be taken seriously is because people like you try every embarrassing argument you can to justify why you feel the hots for some pixels on the screen. the reason other fighters don't have anybody laughing at them is because they already embraced and accepted their own degeneracy.
Actually no. Mortal Kombat responded to the criticism launched at 9 and reformed their character designs to release their most critically acclaimed, and the highest selling game of the franchise. Your hot take is stale and delayed.

7uhCnsa.gif

Onryoki

Standard Donor
You should! Tina and Lisa are a ton of fun! I'm getting art of them done for my Hitbox and I'm super stoked now that both have been confirmed for 6.

No one said Lisa was evil! You can be working on the wrong side of things and not be evil. :) I bet in 6 she's all good.
Lisa is actually working for DOATEC (Helena) in 6

Last edited:

Dr PaC

see, it's always false expectations that doom people
if you could shit out electricity from your body you would be doing stupid poses as well. look at marvel characters

Dangit, now I have to ask.
DC or Marvel? Im a DC guy myself but sadly the movies have been trash. At least animation has been good. Could be better sometimes, but overall good.

Macca Beam

i can't say i enjoyed marvel that much either my man. the recent movies left a very bland taste in my mouth.

"so long as they are formed convincingly and make sense"
we're stepping very far into subjectivity zone. slutty bright colored clothing isn't a very convincing design for a spy/assassin profession, yet people still wear it on their avatars.

I did not know you had to be a cowgirl to wear a fedora, who knew!
oh, you're the one complaining about a scientist not being in a cookie cutter textbook labcoat. you would know

You must be new to the franchise if you think Nico's body language will remain as simple "hand signs".
can you let me in on those footages of her pole dancing?

Actually no. Mortal Kombat responded to the criticism launched at 9 and reformed their character designs to release their most critically acclaimed, and the highest selling game of the franchise.
7uhCnsa.gif
yeah, you showed me with that one game.
now look at what soulcalibur, skullgirls, blazblue, ah and kof were doing.

Truth

Lisa/La Mariposa is a Luchadora so she is a female professional wrestler that utilizes the Latin American Lucha Libre form. They are renown for their over the top costumes centered around very flamboyant and eye catching masks with brightly colored themes.
But I will say I always assumed Lisa was AfroLatina. Her description says her nationality is American, which doesnt necessarily rule it out, but there is no reference to Mexican ethnicity. Her character doesnt have any kind of Latina accent, even though Helena is voice with French, and batman with Russian.

Dr PaC

But I will say I always assumed Lisa was AfroLatina. Her description says her nationality is American, which doesnt necessarily rule it out, but there is no reference to Mexican ethnicity. Her character doesnt have any kind of Latina accent, even though Helena is voice with French, and batman with Russian.

I think she was supposed to be Black but the devs couldnt tell the difference between Black girls and Latina ones, hence why shes a Lucha and why we're confused about what she's supposed to be when we ask ourselves that question.

Truth

isn't a very convincing design for an assassin profession, yet people still wear it on their avatars.
According to google images it is a very Christie has a very convincing design for a "female assassin". Feel free to google female lab scientist and see if you find anyone remotely resembling Nico. Spoiler alert, you wont.
oh, you're the one complaining about a scientist not being in a cookie cutter textbook labcoat. you would know
Im mostly complaining about the fact that she looks 12, but is dressed as a stripper hostess.
yeah, you showed me with that one game.
now look at what soulcalibur, skullgirls, blazblue, ah and kof were doing.
All of the games you have listed have more tasteful character designs than DOA. The reason why Ivy Valentine didnt turn the game into a joke is because she is depicted clearly as a femme fatale, a grown woman who has control over a her sexuality. While dead or alive have characters like that (Helena & Christie) the addition of these barely legal looking girls who act like infants but I put in suggestive clothing and poses made the game look way too sleazy. Talim is supposed to be even younger than Marie rose, and its very clear that other developers are handling their younger characters more tastefully.

[IMG='width:95px;']https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0318/2649/products/416ECCCZEcL.jpg?v=1506072791[/IMG]
latest

Macca Beam

Feel free to google female lab scientist and see if you find anyone remotely resembling Nico. Spoiler alert, you wont.
of course not. since i fully acknowledged the fact that it's not a cookie cutter textbook scientist, this is a pointless venture for me.
but to begin with, where is this written rule that a character of [occupation] has to look completely the part? none of the female ninja in this game (and any other fighting game) actually looks like a ninja either. but i can handwave it because ~they're grown~ and i have double standards.

though i find it's funny that we have people complaining about "tropes", and then we have people vehemently complaining about it NOT being tropey enough.

she looks 12, but is dressed as a stripper hostess.
find me a stripper hostess that dresses as conservatively as that. go. you'll be more likely to run into nyotengu-lookalikes than any of the characters you're criticizing.

The reason why Ivy Valentine didnt turn the game into a joke is because she is depicted clearly as a femme fatale, a grown woman who has control over a her sexuality.
cringeworthy. pixels on a screen don't have controls over anything. it's a conscious decision by her creators.
and a femme fatale doesn't have to be a dominatrix.

Talim is supposed to be even younger than Marie rose, and its very clear that other developers are handling their younger characters more tastefully.
416ECCCZEcL.jpg
latest
you mean the way she has an incredible amount of exposed skin, her navel is enjoying the force of the wind 24/7 and some of her articles being semitransparent?

Truth

Use this logic and strip the current DOA characters like you did to Nico and it's the same. Kasumi, Ayane, Kokoro, Leifang, Tina, Helena, and every other female. They are all busty females at the base then add in the "bells and whistles" and you get the current characters. They aren't an issue because you just happen to like the molds they fit into.
Nope. Despite being 2 busty blondes, If Helena started fighting with Tina's style it would look fundamentally wrong. She is a French former opera singer, a form of high culture which indicates opulence and class, she is tempered and seductive and needs a fighting style and costume to match. Tina while also sexual, has a wild and crass personality, she is american and southern and a wrestler.... there is no reason for her to dress in French aristocrat inspired garments. No more than there is a reason for Lisa to dress in a konoichi dress or Kasumi as a luchadora. The same can not be said about Nico who could have very easily been a Marie Rose reskin. Completely disposable and a dusty neon wig will not change that.

5k82n60v

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD