DOA5LR Let's talk about the Story Mode

KwonJigglypuff

tumblr_n5n66pcEla1rje51ao2_r1_400.gif

In July 2012, Team Ninja announced that the Story Mode would be in the same style as DOAD. Then they said it would follow the rules of the "hyperlink cinema" (Pulp Fiction, Babel), with many connections in the story timeline. I was curious to see that.

Then DOA5 came. There was some good memorable scenes, but it still felt like a huge letdown compared to what was teased. And of course, some content was cut (a scene between Eliot and Rig for instance). It felt like some pieces were missing too in the development. Anyway :

1. What was the weakest character development ?
2. On the opposite, what was the most climactic scene ?
3. What was the funniest scene ?
4. Which scene was too akward or "wtf" to watch ?
4. Did you like the soundtrack ?
5. How would you rate the story overall ? (out of 10)
6. Do you miss the old type of Story Mode (DOA2-DOA4) ?
7. Kokoro : is she a misunderstood genius or a Slowpoke ?
8. What did Christie mean by "looking for a real man" ?
9. Do you think some scenes were referencing other medias ?

Some people may say the Story Mode doesn't matter in a fighting game, however I really need detailed backgrounds to appreciate a character's personality and identify to them. Sure what truly matters to enjoy a character is his/her gameplay. But first impressions matter : who's gonna like Lisa if he or she has no idea what the hell she's doing in that mess ? Her characterization is sloppy and it didn't help to increase her popularity, despite her amazing moveset. That's still my theory.

Secondly, a good story really helps to build the "soul" of the game. I'm not sure it's the right word, but having a "lore" is important for a game in general. An atmosphere to remember. And honestly, I've never seen a fighting game with a really good story mode, not even MKX. Also, with today's standards in the video game industry, and the way video game gets inspired by the cinema industry, I think it's important to use this potential and work on a clean Story Mode. I mean, the first thing Harada said when announcing Tekken 7 was that he wanted to "finish the story"...

Paradoxically, a story mode will probably never be a selling point for the fighting genre. You will never hear someone saying "I bought this fighter because of the story!". So why would developpers focus on that ? You might say "story doesn't matter, look at Honoka, Marie, Nyo, everybody loves them already!". Well to be honest, I think it's mostly because they are the new flavours of the month, and they are still mysterious so they intrigue us.

My conclusion is that DOA5 wouldn't have been the same in my mind without its (average/good) story. Now imagine if it didn't have it. No opening, no story mode, no CG endings. Wouldn't the game feel soulless ? That's why a lot of people won't remember Smash 4 like they will remember Brawl.

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

This seems like an interesting thread so for my opinions on the list you made would be.

1. The character with the weakest character development off the top of my head would have to be Leifang. She's just doing the same old routine of stalking Jann Lee everywhere and Is also works at a circus and explores South American rainforests in her spare time?!

2. The most climactic scene for me is probably when Eliot and Brad are fighting over that bun. That or when Ayane and Hayate kill the Kasumi clone.

3. The funniest scene to me is the scene where Kokoro almost gets crushed by a falling building and just stands there as if nothing happened purely for how weird it was. Not to mention then Lisa jumps off the building and lands on her.

4. The soundtrack was okay but pretty underwhelming. It got better in Ultimate when the old soundtracks were added.

5. The story was pretty entertaining and for fighting games it was the way I prefer for them to handle the story. There was problems with the way characters acted that seemed OOC but in general it was a good story. 6/10. They should continue to have the story like this in doa6 but also include an arcade ending for every character like Mortal Kombat did.

6. Nope, I do not miss the old way of handling the story mode.

7. The way Kokoro acts in doa5 reminds me of the "jerk with a heart of gold trope".

8. it could have some deep meaning of wanting a fighting partner but I honestly just think she was thirsty.

9. I'm sure there was easter eggs and references to other things in the story mode, so yeah.

That was long but this does seem like an interesting thread so I hope other people post their thoughts.

Mayor-Of-Mustard

tumblr_n5n66pcEla1rje51ao2_r1_400.gif

In July 2012, Team Ninja announced that the Story Mode would be in the same style as DOAD. Then they said it would follow the rules of the "hyperlink cinema" (Pulp Fiction, Babel), with many connections in the story timeline. I was curious to see that.

Then DOA5 came. There was some good memorable scenes, but it still felt like a huge letdown compared to what was teased. And of course, some content was cut (a scene between Eliot and Rig for instance). It felt like some pieces were missing too in the development. Anyway :

Some people may say the Story Mode doesn't matter in a fighting game, however I really need detailed backgrounds to appreciate a character's personality and identify to them. Sure what truly matters to enjoy a character is his/her gameplay. But first impressions matter : who's gonna like Lisa if he or she has no idea what the hell she's doing in that mess ? Her characterization is sloppy and it didn't help to increase her popularity, despite her amazing moveset. That's still my theory.

Secondly, a good story really helps to build the "soul" of the game. I'm not sure it's the right word, but having a "lore" is important for a game in general. An atmosphere to remember. And honestly, I've never seen a fighting game with a really good story mode, not even MKX. Also, with today's standards in the video game industry, and the way video game gets inspired by the cinema industry, I think it's important to use this potential and work on a clean Story Mode. I mean, the first thing Harada said when announcing Tekken 7 was that he wanted to "finish the story"...

Paradoxically, a story mode will probably never be a selling point for the fighting genre. You will never hear someone saying "I bought this fighter because of the story!". So why would developpers focus on that ? You might say "story doesn't matter, look at Honoka, Marie, Nyo, everybody loves them already!". Well to be honest, I think it's mostly because they are the new flavours of the month, and they are still mysterious so they intrigue us.

My conclusion is that DOA5 wouldn't have been the same in my mind without its (average/good) story. Now imagine if it didn't have it. No opening, no story mode, no CG endings. Wouldn't the game feel soulless ? That's why a lot of people won't remember Smash 4 like they will remember Brawl.
1. Leifang defo
2. The bit where the ninjas are fighting clones and Eliot and Brad's fight was awesome. Also when Hitomi met Hayate halfway through the tournament.
3. Milk m8. Or the bit after Eliot and Brad's fight where Zack's on TV and the monkey was cheering at him aha
4. The bit at the start where Helena was walking with her boobs like "boingboingboing" and Bayman's just like "oh there's a fly on my face" and just kinda hits his face with his hand.
another 4 for some reason: Yas
5. 7/10. Was really entertaining and it was awesome seeing characters interact. I wish everyone had a chapter though.
6. No. Prefer this one.
7. I really don't know. I want Kokoro to join the bad guys and get manipulated then joins the good guys. Kind of like Jodie with the military in Beyond: Two Souls
8. idk we didn't really get a chapter of her did we? My guess is that she wants another guy partner after Bayman left... mostly Rig I guess. She wanted the bayD
9. I don't know, I think there was some but I have the memory of a goldfish.

I like story mode tbh. I really liked MKX's and I liked DOA5's. I would buy extra story chapters any day over costume DLC

xDevious

Standard Donor
1. Definitely Leifang. @Jadeinchains already explained my reasoning.
2. Either when Ayane and Hayate killed False Kasumi, or at the end when Kasumi, Ayane, Hayate and Hayabusa all fought Phase 4.
3. The scene where Kokoro shows no signs of getting scared or shocked about the fact that the city is falling apart around her. Like, seriously Kokoro? How did you not notice that!?
EDIT: First 4. Most awkward? Every scene including a female after I switched to OMG breast motion. Most WTF? When False Kasumi got killed. I had no idea she was a fake, so I thought they legitimately killed Kasumi.
Second 4. The soundtrack was OK. I'm not the biggest fan of most stage themes in DOA5/5U/5LR, but every fight that had character themes, or just a good stage theme, I was OK with. Also, "The Way Is Known" is definitely one of my favorite pieces of music in all of DOA history.
5. The story was enjoyable. I've even replayed it several times. I'd give it a 9/10, because it could've removed some stories that was just put in for the hell of it (like Tina's), and replaced it with Christie or Lisa, to give them more character development, and let us get a better understanding of what they were up to.
6. Not really. I enjoy this style of Story Mode more than I did the old style.
7. I'd like to say she's a genius, but let's be real; that girl is slower than a Slowpoke.
8. My understanding of that was that she was looking for a man to join forces with Donovan, presumably his son; Rig. I can not see her being "thirsty". It came across that way, because DOA5 was full of fan service. She acted sexual and seducing, but her plans was not to find a real man and fuck him.
9. Even though I didn't personally notice any Easter Eggs or references, I'm sure Team NINJA included some references to other medias in some of the DOA5 Story Mode scenes.

Last edited:

HHH816

ayane..wish more story about her alone..

none

brad and eliot monkey scene..a rip off from jackie chan movie
lame actually

eliot and christie milk scene - awkward

kasumi death- wtf at first than oh that's her clone

meh

5 totally forgetable

DOA2-DOA4 - hitomi - hey that's my watermelon
lei fang - no that's mine

DOA5 - hitomi - hey my shoulder is stiff, let's do some sparring
hayate - ok

she's faking it

sexy tiem of course

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
1.The weakest to me is Leifang. Not much has changed at all about her...
2. The most climatic is when Kasumi pulls a heel face turn, and challenges Christie to a fight when she won't let Kasumi go. But virtually, all scenes where Kasumi is serious was climatic to me.
3. The funniest was when Lisa was crushed by that debris and she let out that loud scream like it hurt that bad...me and my sister always crack up whenever it happens.
4.The soundtrack was ok, some were good and some were not as favorable...
The most awkward was that scene with Eliot and Hitomi and Leifang...The whole being flustered and embarrassed around them was too weird. The wtf moment was when they killed false Kasumi.....*Stares at you while blinking in astonishment*. I literally felt the stabs in my heart as Kasumi fell. That's why I hold a grudge against Hayate and refuse to ever play him.
5. Aside from the other chapters, Kasumi's chapters are why I still play play, and I love those, so I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10.
6. No, I have a soft spot for this one. It adds more depth and bonding to your favorite characters.
7. I think she's just misunderstood. My sister thinks she's a trolling bitch unfortunately....:-(
8.Christie was searching for a man to please her all night long. She was obviously interested in bass, but Helena was not having it. She probably doesn't realize Eliot is legal now, so she teases him to get him all worked up. I mean she's 24, maybe she wants to date someone.
9. Them featuring music from old DOA games like when Ayane was listening to her music I thought was a little lame. The doa4 leifang ending reference was funny, but wasn't as memorable as the original.

Last edited:

Tamika

1. Leifang definitely. Girl, quit stalking Jann and do something else with your life like dayum
2. Probably when Hayate and Ayane killed False Kasumi. I legit thought they killed the real Kasumi there, and, her being my favorite character, I was like:
tumblr_inline_msxvlwe6vb1qz4rgp.gif
3. When Brad and Eliot were fighting over that bun thing
4. The milk scene with Christie and Eliot. ._______.
4. (wait why are there two 4's lol) I enjoyed the soundtrack quite a bit.
5. Probably 8.5/10. It was nice, but it could've been better imo.
6. Not really, I prefer this kind of story mode.
7. She's faking it. I like to believe she's actually really smart.
8. She wants the D.
9. I'm not sure bout that.

KING JAIMY

Here are my answers to the questions you stated, @KwonJigglypuff:

I was actually debating whether if I would choose Leifang or Hitomi but I will go for Leifang. All she is does is stalking Jann Lee everywhere. Hitomi is more developed than Leifang because she has an emotional bond to Ein/Hayate, and that makes things much more interesting. In my opinion, earlier DOA's had good character development (see answer to question 6 for an explanation).

Also, another character who is under-developed in my opinion, is Rig. We basically know nothing about him besides the facts that he likes drinking beer with Bass and that he is a villian trying to help his evil-genius dad rule the world by creating the ultimate fighter. I would like to know more of his past in the next DOA.
I assume everyone has played the story by now but I will put it in a spoiler nonetheless:
Hayate and Ayane killing False Kasumi.
Eliot and Brad Wong fighting over the rice ball or whatever it was. That was just too damn funny.
Eliot asking Christie for another glass of milk.
Of course! Ending song was amazing and I would love to have it selectable for in-game matches.
Overall, I would give it a 8 out of 10. I enjoyed it as a whole but it lacked character development.
Yes. Even though I prefer DOA5's story, the ending cutscenes of earlier DOA's told us about the history or background of some characters. Take Jann Lee's scene in DOA4 for example, in which it was shown he was abused as a child and learned Jeet Kune Do by himself by watching movies. Or Leifang saving a child from a bunch of thugs, possibly as a compensation because she was once saved by Jann Lee as well from a gang. This could explain her obession with Jann Lee. Another cutscene I found interesting was the one from DOA3 where Hitomi's history was shown, in her father's dojo.
I think she is just pretending to be naive. It kind of makes her look like a troll. Take the scene where Kokoro missed catching Jann Lee's Nunchuks ending up breaking the vase. That was so not done on purpose. /Kappa
She has a crush on Eliot's manliness. Drinking milk strenghtens your bones and muscles, you know?
I've never seen any media references. The only reference I've seen in the whole story mode is the cutscene referring to Leifang's DOA4 ending, in which a perverted man ''accidentally'' grabs Leifang's boobs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really hope Team Ninja is working on a good sequel for the story, whether it'll be in DOA6 or story DLC for DOA5, although the latter is highly improbable. I see a lot of potential. Things I would like to see are:

- More character development in general and inclusion of new characters in the story mode such as Momiji, Rachel, Leon, Ein, Marie Rose, Nyotengu, Raidou and Honoka;
- Elaborations on Rig's background story specifically;
- The motives of Victor Donovan as to why he wants to create an ultimate fighter;
- Elaborations on the role of DOATEC and what Miyako has to do with it.

Last edited:

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
1. What was the weakest character development ? Leifang's. There's no need for explanation as to how shitty her's is xD

None of the above.

Zip.

A lot of it made me want to stop playing it, up until Jann Lee's haha

5. Did you like the soundtrack ?
It was okay. Not good, but okay.

6. How would you rate the story overall ? (out of 10)
Four out of ten, because it wasn't really that great. They should have stuck with Itagaki's script and worked from there.

7. Do you miss the old type of Story Mode (DOA2-DOA4) ?
Yeah, I honestly wouldn't mind having both (just like what MKX did).

8. Kokoro : is she a misunderstood genius or a Slowpoke ?
I'm not really sure how to answer this one.

9. What did Christie mean by "looking for a real man" ?
Probably another client due to the fact that Donovan no longer interests her.

3. The funniest was when Lisa was crushed by that debris and she let out that loud scream like it hurt that bad...me and my sister always crack up whenever it happens.
eNtlu1r.jpg

Xhominid The Demon Within

Lei Fang by far. Her story peaked considerably at DOA4 and unlike the other oldie characters who atleast have some spark renewed for their return(Bass, possibly Tina and Hitomi), Lei Fang...is just there now.
I never understood how people say Ayane got the weakest development when it makes sense she's much less of a bitch now...
A huge part of her life is the fact that she really had no one to get close to or any friends so the fact that she's on friendly terms with both Eliot AND Hitomi lessens a huge part of her coldness factor and just turns her into a snarker instead.

Kasumi that we've been following is actually a clone. This is hugely shocking to me because the only clones we've seen now are basically mad dogs. Now we have clones that basically only have slight imperfections to their personalities(False Kasumi was too serious all the time) and Phase 4 basically having Kasumi's personality to pat, shows that there are clones which have their own personalities(Hell Ryu felt bad at False Kasumi dying because she legit believed she WAS Kasumi and her brother and sister just up and killed her).

After that is Kasumi's True Chapter in general and seeing her in her new outfit and basically take no shit anymore from anyone.

Brad Wong and Eliot fighting over a meat bun and Zack confusing Sarah for Tina

None really.

Original DOA5's music? Somewhat? It's catchy but compared to the past, it's lacking the intensity of past songs.

7 out of 10. Could have been done better but it's manageable.

HELL NO. The only plus I can give the old stories is the random small tidbits on what they can do(Ein cutting through 3 beer bottle tops without knocking over the bottles themselves) or the random funny parts(Hitomi being ungrateful Jann saved her from a T-Rex). Otherwise it's the same problem with Street Fighter in terms of it's "Story Mode": It's hard as hell to see which stories are actually canonical and which events truly went in line with each other.

I'd say looking back, she's a troll. At first I thought she was a slowpoke but now it seems more obvious troll is the case.

I tthat's Christie messing with Eliot in the same way she fucks with Helena: She likes fucking around when not on the job and getting people on edge. She took advantage of Eliot's nervousness over seeing her cleavage and took advantage.

Past the Milk scene? None.

Nikotsumi

1- Like everyone already said, definitely Leifang, she just needs to stop stalking Jann Lee, however i think that even Hitomi's character was bad developed.
2- The Ayane & Hayate vs Kasumi scene, i was like "Go Kasumi, kick their asses!" since she's one of my favourites but then..... well you know what happens :c
3- All Kokoro's scenes, her dumbness makes me laugh xD
4 (wtf)- Helena that was talking normally to Christie, i mean... didn't she kill her mother? How can they act like nothing has happened?
4- Yeah, pretty much. "The Way is Known" is my favourite DOA soundtrack.
5- 7/10. It's good but it could have been better.
6- Yeah i miss them, still prefer the DOA5 one though.
7- She's not faking, she's dumb xD
8- Eliot, i guess xD (i do not have an idea about this).
9- No.

Last edited:

KwonJigglypuff

I'm just going to answer this one as I agree with most of your answers.

• I've always seen Mila as a representant of the 70-80s movies where the main character wants to achieve a goal by training hard. To me, the punching bag scene is a special moment from these movies, where the character goes through a transformation (Flashdance with the famous training scene, Rocky with the punching meat scene, etc.). Furthermore, Mila's musical theme reminds me of that vibe. This is how I see the way Mila was written into the DOA serie.

• It might be a bit farfetch'ed, but the billiard scene with Helena, Christie and Bass reminds me of Anna's ending in Tekken 6. The writing as nothing to do, but it's funny to see how these femme fatales are getting sexy and mischievous around a pool table.

• That nunchaku scene with Jann Lee is something you see a lot in Kung Fu movies. I mean, obviously it's a parody of the movie "The Game of Death" where Bruce Lee shows his ninchaku skills before challenging an opponent. Except that this time, the opponent is Kokoro who seems to not give a fuck...

• Nothing big, but one of my friend told me there was an 1994 Hong Kong fighting movie called "Circus Kid" where the martial artists were working in a circus to make a living. Then it got destroyed and they had to fight again for some reason, I'm not sure. Don't know if it was big in Asia, but I still can't explain what the fuck Lei Fang (and Hitomi) are doing in this circus.

• The scene where Bass dreams about driving his motorcycle on the highway, and then a helicopter comes and throws rockets on him... I don't know if it's a reference or nothing, but it reminds me of that moment in Tomorrow Never Dies when James Bond (and Michelle Yeoh) confronts a helicopter on their motorcycle. Probably not a reference, but I wanted to share.

• Obviously everybody got the reference for that scene where Brad and Eliot fights over a bun in Home.

• Another thing I've noted, but I'm not sure I will convince you. Remember that scene where Bayman's squad gets attacked by Phase 4 at the beginning of the story mode ? Well I think TN got inspired a lot by MGS4's opening. Everything reminds me of it:
- the atmosphere is almost the same, thanks to the "yellow-ish" color filter, the setting, and the music
- the plush on which Bayman walk, and the child: it reminds us that war affects innocent lives, which is also what MGS speaks about (child soldiers, "war has changed")
- the way the mercenaries got attacked by a mysterious monster, just like in MGS where the units got attacks by the metal gears

This is no surprise as Team Ninja recently admitted to me that some of their team members liked the serie very much. Actually, when Bayman confronts Christie in his own chapter, he jumps out of nowhere and land on the ground like Snake would do (minus all the effects and slow-mo). Don't know if it was intented or not, but it was kind of classy.

I made a video to compare DOA5's opening and MGS4's opening.​

KwonJigglypuff

Yes. Actually her black ninja suit was supposed to be her default costume, but they changed their mind for some reason. Just like Tina's beanie costume and Zack's clown outfit.

Chapstick

This gif looks familiar ;)
1. Leifang, already been discussed to death here
2. For me it was the fight leading up to where Hayate and Ayane killed the false Kasumi.
3. This is difficult for me, there are so many good ones. I'm gonna say Tina choking Zack for mistaking Sarah as her. Was it just a funny scene or was it them throwing shade at themselves? Who knows
4. The train scene where Leifang was on top of Jann was awkward to me. Like "OKAY YOU JANN/LEI SHIPPERS FUCKING WANT SOMETHING HERE'S SOMETHING"
4. I never paid attention to it honestly so I guess it's forgettable
5. I really enjoyed it when it wasn't trying to be serious and it gave me a lot of great moments to gif so I'm gonna say 8/10.
6. No, espECIALLY with the roster growing so rapidly. Also it had scenes between every fight which the old story modes didn't.
tumblr_mubjj7Ash51rje51ao1_400.gif
*ten seconds later* "Tokyo is scary!"

Slowpoke with a hint of troll when TN feels like it
8. TN doesn't even know the answer to this. "Let's give Christie an objective besides losing every fight"
9. I'm not sure, probably. I mean they did steal a character from Love Live ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SoftCabbage

Kokoro is really mentally retarded in that scene lol...

And yeah, Christie lost in every fight. Once, twice, okay. But after I see her third and fourth loss, it's like she's a total dumbfuck who should just go home and find another job.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD