DOA5U "Lisa, it's your birthday!" DOA5U Lisa General Discussion Thread

synce

Am I imagining things or does it seem like whenever you pick Lisa there's a huge chance of getting a stage with ropes? I rotate between a few characters and have noticed for a long time now that if I pick Lisa the game will VERY OFTEN choose a stage with ropes

ailingeternity

Am I imagining things or does it seem like whenever you pick Lisa there's a huge chance of getting a stage with ropes? I rotate between a few characters and have noticed for a long time now that if I pick Lisa the game will VERY OFTEN choose a stage with ropes
Now that you mention it, I seem to get SWEAT a lot when I'm online, not so much on other stages.

Cylith

I wasn't mentioned?:( Anyways, adding to what you've been using, I still haven't had a giant success with :1::K::K:. It can work no doubt, but nothing I incorporate into my play personally. Although, they have to hold which is nice about it, so I use it to go back into my HTV(Hammer Throw Vortex) and LFV(Leap Frog Vortex) setups whenever I do use it. As for combo opportunities, though, not much that is consistent. At least for me.

This is assuming you don't follow up with :P::P: after the crumple stun(Which I avoid for how telegraphed it is). If they do nothing and don't hold, which I haven't come across to much(People like to push buttons), then you have time for :P: strings and :6::P:strings. Mainly for simplicity, you can lead into more mix-up this way. I try to go for launcher with :6::P::8::K:. This helps with conditioning my opponent to expect something if they fail to stop the :1::K::K:. Which, as stated earlier, leads back into my HTV/LFV.

As for :7::K: strings, easily one of Lisa's top tools in my opinion, are very useful. :7::K: is great for frame traps, which I've posted one before, and the follow ups can be brutal if your opponent isn't on point. Especially with :7::K::P:. I love this so much. SO many people don't ukemi after this. This is their downfall. :6::H+K: after for a force wake-up that leaves you at +16. Which just so happens to be one frame short for :7::K:. I've posted about that before so I'll stop there.

There is just so much one can do with :7::K: strings. I love them:).

NOTE: IF I'VE MISSED THIS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW Now for something I noticed. If you hit :1::P::K::K: to a back turned opponent, they enter into a side-ways/back crumple stun. They can't hold during this. You're guaranteed a :3::3::P: for a launch. Then just do whatever BnB you want. If they are near a wall and you don't want the hit to smack them into it, just omit the last :K:. Then you can hit them into the wall with a stronger blow. Now, there are a few ways you can get you opponents back to you as Lisa so I encourage experimenting.

That's all I've been doing lately with Lisa. Still pisses people off:cool:.

Last edited:

Tones

Premium Donor
You tell me if you missed something @Cylith ;]. The splash find reminds me of something I used to do with 6k+h before the bounce properties changed and you could 6k+h 6k+h for the same effect.

synce

For a moment I thought you made a typo but yeah Lisa does have a 7KP haha I haven't used splash moves in a long time, wasn't feeling the risk/reward ratio! If the previous move was blocked you're very likely to get knocked out of splash, and if it connected there's more damaging options (throw/launch)

My entire game with Lisa still revolves around the H+K button. It's pretty boring but I don't use her a lot and it works

Cylith

For a moment I thought you made a typo but yeah Lisa does have a 7KP haha I haven't used splash moves in a long time, wasn't feeling the risk/reward ratio! If the previous move was blocked you're very likely to get knocked out of splash, and if it connected there's more damaging options (throw/launch)

My entire game with Lisa still revolves around the H+K button. It's pretty boring but I don't use her a lot and it works
:H+K: is definitely useful. I find it really lets you judge how good your opponent is at Slow Escaping or their defense for that matter. If they don't SE, well they're going to get hit, eat a mix-up, or end up blocking which depending on your style with her, can be good or bad. Now, there are quite a few things you can do after :H+K: depending on the skill level of the other player. That would take longer to type out and I'm tired after a 12 hour day at work lol.

I would suggest trying to incorporate :7::K: into your gameplay, at least a little bit. The beauty of her :7::K: strings is wonderful. You can adapt ALL of the strings to how your opponent is playing. They block :7::K: you're back at neutral. They don't block, well they're in for a world of mix-up opportunities. Now say we leave out the string enders, which all can be useful if done smartly, you also have the Carrera cancels. Carrera cancels, the run maneuver she has, is a VERY strong tool. It essentially leaves her at an advantage(numbers vary on your timing with it, possibly leaving you at neautral). The fastest SE can let you block against her next attack. Well, if you attack;). That in of itself, though, is Lisa's greatest strength. Besides her obviously high damage:cool:, its her mind games. Learn to incorporate those into your playstyle, even just a little bit, you'll see many a player have trouble adapting to her.

Obviously it won't be immediate, but well worth the time to learn. Even in "baby steps". Just try to include her Hammer Throw or Leap Frog for instance. Both grabs that do no damage yes, but force you opponent to play HER game. This is a factor as to why SO many players hate her. I still get "Lisa is OP" messages because I force them into MY game. Taking control of the flow of a match is always fun:).

Tempest

:H+K: is definitely useful. I find it really lets you judge how good your opponent is at Slow Escaping or their defense for that matter. If they don't SE, well they're going to get hit, eat a mix-up, or end up blocking which depending on your style with her, can be good or bad. Now, there are quite a few things you can do after :H+K: depending on the skill level of the other player. That would take longer to type out and I'm tired after a 12 hour day at work lol.

I would suggest trying to incorporate :7::K: into your gameplay, at least a little bit. The beauty of her :7::K: strings is wonderful. You can adapt ALL of the strings to how your opponent is playing. They block :7::K: you're back at neutral. They don't block, well they're in for a world of mix-up opportunities. Now say we leave out the string enders, which all can be useful if done smartly, you also have the Carrera cancels. Carrera cancels, the run maneuver she has, is a VERY strong tool. It essentially leaves her at an advantage(numbers vary on your timing with it, possibly leaving you at neautral). The fastest SE can let you block against her next attack. Well, if you attack;). That in of itself, though, is Lisa's greatest strength. Besides her obviously high damage:cool:, its her mind games. Learn to incorporate those into your playstyle, even just a little bit, you'll see many a player have trouble adapting to her.

Obviously it won't be immediate, but well worth the time to learn. Even in "baby steps". Just try to include her Hammer Throw or Leap Frog for instance. Both grabs that do no damage yes, but force you opponent to play HER game. This is a factor as to why SO many players hate her. I still get "Lisa is OP" messages because I force them into MY game. Taking control of the flow of a match is always fun:).

I'm 90% sure he was talking about 4H+K. H+K is alright but if I want to check if someone is stagger escaping or not I usually go for a 44T launch setup. I feel like that tool is pretty underwhelming considering it's a unsafe, slow high that can be stagger escaped out of.

7k is a nice tool, but it does not leave you at neutral on block, you are at -18 with pushback, which a smart player will use to close the distance on you. 7k on hit is as you said, incredible. If you land 7k6 P your opponent is put into a very dangerous must hold situation where a wrong move will cost them a fair chunk of their life. The strings are nice to have in your pocket, I don't find myself using anything other than 7KP much. 7KK and 7KT have generally poor risk reward in my opinion.

Another thing you can do (that has to be used a bit more sparingly offline) is neutral P into P+K or 6H+K. If your opponent is stagger escaping and blocks they'll give you a GB to keep up momentum and if they hold early or don't stagger escape they'll land as part of the combo. Then the true beauty of this is that once they're looking for those slow mids you can throw in an OH or two and then switch to fast mids to keep the confusion up.

Tones

Premium Donor
A good player will dash in for the 66p+h if they block your 7k but if you're talking about mid range you're pretty safe due to your options for attacking.

Cylith

A good player will dash in for the 66p+h if they block your 7k but if you're talking about mid range you're pretty safe due to your options for attacking.
I appreciate your correcting me. @Tempest as well. I'm so used to not getting punished for :7::K:. Some people may advance on me, but I've so rarely been flat out punished that its isn't at the front of my mind. I must add that I do primarily use it at range. This is a detail I didn't think of mentioning and that alone skews, if not annuls, what I posted. As well as to the :H+K: portion of my post. I do use it as a "testing" tool. Still to my negligence I did not go into detail on how, the string that leads into it with options you may have, or its base form as a command. It is indeed a very risky command to use and should be used sparingly against someone who knows what they're doing. It all depends, as is any match, on what you've observed what your opponent does during said match.

In all honesty though, its nice to have, even if its a short one, a conversation with like minded players who know the character. Who also are polite and not venomous.

Cylith

There is something with Lisa that I personally just haven't been able to make useful. Her dodge into back turn. I can't find a good reason to do it. If any of you have found anything, even if you consider it a gimmick, I would appreciate it being posted. i just don't want to believe that it can't be used strategically. Especially if I'm blind to it what ever that may be. So thanks in advance.

Tones

Premium Donor
I'm so used to not getting punished for :7::K:. Some people may advance on me, but I've so rarely been flat out punished that its isn't at the front of my mind.
It's character depended as well. I only made the connection because a dash in throw with Lisa is also her OH if you hold the 6, which has extended range. As in it's something I do.

Speaking of which, I've been using 236p+h a lot recently for that reason exactly. It's range is between he k and 3k, it will either land or null an attempt at whiff punishing. So it's a good follow up if you whiff with a lot of her (e.g, k, 3k, 4k+h or 7k) attacks as well as being a good whiff punisher as well. Another example of using this fact, 1kk/1k is a good enough too by itself but if 1k hits at it's not quite max range will be at a good distance to 236p+h. This helps keep the 1kk/k mixup have a fresh feeling, as in it's more for the opponent to take in, as in it's more likely to land.

Yeah her SS into BT is pretty pointless.

@Cylith it's all about being progressive.

Gruff757

Standard Donor
Havent really been in the loop lately as far as doa goes, been on hiatus.

but as far as lisa goes, @Cylith pretty much had things covered, but along with that I want to add/reiterate the use of :P::K:(:K:). its a really good tool in her arsenal that lost a little bit of power since the loss of the tracking from :3::K: and its variants. :P::K: is great for starting pressure, tick throws/ohs and the occasional SS bait It is also another good scouting tool for seeing how your opponent reacts to being hit, blocking hits, etc.

Also, please please please use 64T and 44T, outside of HCH situations that is. They are really good pressure throws that net you some decent damage and can force your opponent to start hitting buttons at the completely wrong times and receive some nasty CH damage.

Tones

Premium Donor
Right. I haven't fully work out the splash yet but you do have to be very choosey about using it. The issue with it is that it's too easy to avoid due it's range and it's mal-tracking properties. At mid (7k's max range) range it will whiff if they A- free step B- come closer to you due to movement, counter or input. Close in (let's say you do interrupt with pp4 5p+k) it will whiff if they A- do anything that isn't space back or guard B- they guard but there is something environmental in the way therefore ppp4 5p+k is the better way to use it. Super close in, GG no RE to splash, don't even bother. So far I cannot really sum up when to use and when not too.

Same goes with her BT 8p+h or BTp+kfp+h

Can I have people's input about this?

Otherwise I will have to continue my extreme use of it to find out really how to use it.

@Gruff757 your Lisa in your display picture has crooked boobies.

Lulu

There is something with Lisa that I personally just haven't been able to make useful. Her dodge into back turn. I can't find a good reason to do it. If any of you have found anything, even if you consider it a gimmick, I would appreciate it being posted. i just don't want to believe that it can't be used strategically. Especially if I'm blind to it what ever that may be. So thanks in advance.

If ever you encounter moves like that then its matter of conditioning it to make it usefull..... perhaps you can akways attack out of Side Stepping constantly then out of the blue you can side step then turn around.....

Thats alot of effort.... its probably not even worth it but you get the idea..... hopefully.

Tones

Premium Donor
and now it cant be unseen, 'preciate that.
Any time.

Maybe we should look at this from a different angle....

When do you want to side step, what are the situations. Let's be as specific as possible.

1. From a whiff attack close/mid distance due to screw up or bait.
2. You purposefully whiff an attack at long/mid range to bait a whiff punish to which you SS.
3. During their string.
4. You SS their SS attack.
5. On wake up/techroll to SS a singular attack they're gonna throw out.
6. To cancel a CB
7. On their run in.

Any more?

Last edited:

Lulu

Does :9::K: by itself have a name ? I love this move so much and I think it should totally get its own name: my top two candidates are "Around The World" and "Rainbow Crush/Stomp"

Also I consider Lisa's BT to be its own special stance kind of like Marie "Totally 18 " Rose's Rondo , Helena's Bokuho and Christie's Jakeiho...... but it doesn't have its own unique name.... Anybody got any ideas ?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD