Characters Lolicopter - [Marie Rose Information & Discussion Thread]

Chapstick

It would honestly depend on how fast the OH is out of the roll. If its anywhere probably over 16i it probably won't beat out 66KK, though 66K.K it probably could.
The second K of 66K~K only comes out if you hit the opponent with the first one, block or not. Since Marie's roll will without a doubt go under 66K considering everything else in the game does, all she has to worry about is 66KK. I'm almost 100% positive 66KK will hit her because the roll looks kind of slow and the second kick comes out really fast.

HoodsXx

The second K of 66K~K only comes out if you hit the opponent with the first one, block or not. Since Marie's roll will without a doubt go under 66K considering everything else in the game does, all she has to worry about is 66KK. I'm almost 100% positive 66KK will hit her because the roll looks kind of slow and the second kick comes out really fast.

It's more the person was wondering if you could OH after the roll to stop the follow up K. The roll itself isn't that slow though.

Chapstick

It's more the person was wondering if you could OH after the roll to stop the follow up K. The roll itself isn't that slow though.
You said the roll OH might be able to beat 66K~K, and I said that can't happen because for the ~K to come out, the 66K needs to hit someone. If Kasumi does go for it and the roll dodges the first 66K (making the ~K followup impossible) that OH might actually be guaranteed. Kasumi's at quite a few negative frames if 66K whiffs or gets blocked and it might be enough for the OH to catch.

As for 66KK, the roll is too slow for the second kick so you're SOL, fatal. On top of that Kasumi is in jumping status so an OH wouldn't catch her anyway.

FatalxInnocence

i hope some more video of her gameplay come out i want to see how she fares agasint rest of cast

Well, she comes out in less than 2 weeks. You can find out for yourself ;P

I honestly see her being beast against strikers, but terrible against grapplers & defensive characters. All her stances can be beaten by throws. And her offensive side ( to me ) is not that great ( especially in regards to block string mix ups. ) so you're going to have to be heaps careful when attacking someone on block. 4K & 6K are probably going to be her best block string tools since both lead to a mid kick stun & a low kick poke, + both have the sabaki cancel attached to them.

Her range game however, is looking promising. With her roll animation looking like her 3H+K animation I can see people getting a bit confused. Of course, the noise she makes is different but still... looks can be deceiving ;D

Ugh. I wish she was out now, I have so much I already want to test with her. Not to mention I need to find more ways to end her combos with BT KKK... cause that move is still my favourite and I will find good ways to utilize it!

FatalxInnocence

I don't think she'll have any abnormal trouble with grapplers at all.

Because she doesn't have much to work with in regards to being offensive chances are you're gonna be throw punished a lot. Grapplers generally have a higher throw damage. Seeing as grapplers are generally forced to be defensive they can OH her a lot, and her stances can be read easier when the person is just standing there blocking, as opposed to a striker like Kasumi who will actually try interrupt the player with... iono 6P/3P etc. for a CH.

I'm just going off what I see in videos though, I could be wrong but she seems to struggle against Lei & Leon type characters. Which is defensive & grappler types. Yet those same people get beaten by the Kasumi player, who gets beaten by the Marie player....

Of course it's all hearsay atm. We wont know what her troubles matches are until we experience it. All we have to go off are videos.

We can't really say till she comes out, I say reserve judgement till then.

Naturally. But it's still fun to talk about it! =3

Brute

Standard Donor
Because she doesn't have much to work with in regards to being offensive chances are you're gonna be throw punished a lot.
She has a low trip from her jab string or from a mid kick lead in (where she also has a mid K string mix-up from, as well). She has a 12 frame mid, a confirmed mid-crush, OHs, and safe pokes up the yin-yang. She has plenty to work with offensively.

Grapplers generally have a higher throw damage. Seeing as grapplers are generally forced to be defensive they can OH her a lot, and her stances can be read easier when the person is just standing there blocking, as opposed to a striker like Kasumi who will actually try interrupt the player with... iono 6P/3P etc. for a CH.
But that's player tendency/stupidity, not game MU-reliant. If the striker plays patiently like a grappler would, they could throw punish all the same, just with slightly less damage (though not a ton less in many cases). But, they won't have to worry about the difficult offense initiation a grappler does (as usual).

Kronin

But that's player tendency/stupidity, not game MU-reliant. If the striker plays patiently like a grappler would, they could throw punish all the same, just with slightly less damage (though not a ton less in many cases). But, they won't have to worry about the difficult offense initiation a grappler does (as usual).

Throw punish is an active part of my way to fight with Ayane XD

HoodsXx

Personally with the way the japanese play this game so defensively. From what we've seen it may seem to us that she's not too powerful so really we'll just have to wait. Imo her only problem is getting in. If she doesn't have the life lead and you're spacing her out well she has a hard time getting in on you. Otherwise once she's in its a nightmare, since she has OH's from roll and a relatively fast catch throw.

FatalxInnocence

She has a low trip from her jab string or from a mid kick lead in (where she also has a mid K string mix-up from, as well). She has a 12 frame mid, a confirmed mid-crush, OHs, and safe pokes up the yin-yang. She has plenty to work with offensively.

I think we just have different definitions of "plenty" to work with. Every female I use ( and that's every female ) has more to utilize than Marie Rose in an offensive manner. I could list the variations of lows in their strings, but I'd be here for awhile writing it. Keeping in mind I'm referring to block strings- not strings on CH or HCH. Obviously once in stun every character can utilize pretty much anything- once someone is put into stun all characters variation opens up more. Getting your opponent into stun is where I feel she will struggle.... offensively that is. Defensively, yeah she's going to be great.

Offensively ( by which I mean, you're doing the attacking and they're blocking... ) she does not have string variation. PP6P goes into a high or a mid. If they do 6P, you're pretty much safe from any low. 6K is generally her only way to open someone up on block- since she has the low kick and the mid kick from it. So she has 6K and 4K both of which are mid kicks, which lead into her low kick or the mid kick. Both counter exactly the same. Both are throw punishable.

Maybe I'm just spoiled in regards to character mix up due to every other female having multiple variations into lows- but Marie just seems lacking in that department, Maybe you kind of haven't had that luxury with your characters? so I'm just seeing it differently to you.

~ Also, where are these safe strings of hers? All I'm seeing is sabaki k, 1PP and any string that contains 9P. ( which is the ending punch for 6PP ) everything else is throw punishable o_o;;

Brute

Standard Donor
I think we just have different definitions of "plenty" to work with. Every female I use ( and that's every female ) has more to utilize than Marie Rose in an offensive manner.
You're just spoiled with OP females, lol.
Compared to what I'm used to working with, Marie Rose has easy mode offense. xD
I forgot to mention earlier a low OH. Which is a godly tool.

Offensively ( by which I mean, you're doing the attacking and they're blocking... ) she does not have string variation. PP6P goes into a high or a mid. If they do 6P, you're pretty much safe from any low. 6K is generally her only way to open someone up on block- since she has the low kick and the mid kick from it. So she has 6K and 4K both of which are mid kicks, which lead into her low kick or the mid kick. Both counter exactly the same. Both are throw punishable.
I know. But keep in mind I'm used to applying block pressure with Hayabusa, who has less than that.

Maybe I'm just spoiled in regards to character mix up due to every other female having multiple variations into lows- but Marie just seems lacking in that department, Maybe you kind of haven't had that luxury with your characters? so I'm just seeing it differently to you.
Yush! It requires adjustment to your playstyle, but you'll get used to it. Back in vanilla I had Ryu's 4PK for guard pressure (as well as 66K and other awesome stuff). Then ultimate came around and I have virtually nothing at all. Unimpressive string delays, basically 0 string mix-ups, horrible lows, terribly safety, tons of interruptable strings, etc. But as a result, I've become a much better player. Not having that "easy mode" 4PK and forced me to really work with my mind games.

To be honest, I feel like I'm going to have a headstart on the Marie Rose most people won't, simply because I'm used to Hayabusa, who is also a defensive character with some of the same limitations as Marie Rose. That's not to say they're the same, obviously. Marie Rose does have the offensive upper-hand and is safer, but lacks the throw power of Hayabusa. She also doesn't have the Izuna swag or long-range shenanigans Hayabusa posses.

I'm going to laugh when the few people that drop her do and claim it's because of her lacking offense. They don't even know. :p

~ Also, where are these safe strings of hers? All I'm seeing is sabaki k, 1PP and any string that contains 9P. ( which is the ending punch for 6PP ) everything else is throw punishable o_o;;
PPP (high P, i15, -5)
PP6PP (high P, i10i18, -5)
6PP (high P, i12i18, -5)
9P (high P, i15, -5)
3PP (mid P, i20i24, -4)
3PP+K (mid P, i20i27, -4)
66P (mid P, i20, -6)
P+K (mid P?, i21, -4)
6P+K (high P, i24, -4)
Rondo P (high P, i17, -4)
BT P+K (mid P, i20, -6)
K (high K, i12, -3)
PK (high K, i10i14, -6)
3PK (high K, i14i19, -3)
3K (mid K, i14, -6)
SS K (mid K, i27, -6)
Rondo K (mid K, i17, -3)

Last edited:

FatalxInnocence

You're just spoiled with OP females, lol.
Compared to what I'm used to working with, Marie Rose has easy mode offense. xD
I forgot to mention earlier a low OH. Which is a godly tool.

I know. But keep in mind I'm used to applying block pressure with Hayabusa, who has less than that.

Yush! It requires adjustment to your playstyle, but you'll get used to it. Back in vanilla I had Ryu's 4PK for guard pressure (as well as 66K and other awesome stuff). Then ultimate came around and I have virtually nothing at all. Unimpressive string delays, basically 0 string mix-ups, horrible lows, terribly safety, tons of interruptable strings, etc. But as a result, I've become a much better player. Not having that "easy mode" 4PK and forced me to really work with my mind games.

To be honest, I feel like I'm going to have a headstart on the Marie Rose most people won't, simply because I'm used to Hayabusa, who is also a defensive character with some of the same limitations as Marie Rose. That's not to say they're the same, obviously. Marie Rose does have the offensive upper-hand and is safer, but lacks the throw power of Hayabusa. She also doesn't have the Izuna swag.

I'm going to laugh when the few people that drop her do and claim it's because of her lacking offense. They don't even know. :p

Well, I'll adjust. But like I said, in comparison to the other females she doesn't have as much tools as you're making out she does. She might have more than Ryu ( though to me, in 5U he's a counter/grapple character who has some strikes with a godly range game. ) but she's still not on par with other characters when it comes to being offensive. I think you'll realize this when playing her to be honest. You would also notice this if you watched as many videos as me. But, yeah... like I've said many a times. My judgement of Marie is based entirely off what I'm seeing and reading. So it's not entirely solidified.

PPP (high P, i15, -5)
PP6PP (high P, i10i18, -5)
6PP (high P, i12i18, -5)
9P (high P, i15, -5)
3PP (mid P, i20i24, -4)
3PP+K (mid P, i20i27, -4)
66P (mid P, i20, -6)
P+K (mid P?, i21, -4)
6P+K (high P, i24, -4)
Rondo P (high P, i17, -4)
BT P+K (mid P, i20, -6)
K (high K, i12, -3)
PK (high K, i10i14, -6)
3PK (high K, i14i19, -3)
3K (mid K, i14, -6)
SS K (mid K, i27, -6)
Rondo K (mid K, i17, -3)

Hmm, see. Like I said a lot of those are ending with the 9P or 6P+K. I also don't see a lot of the singular ones being entirely useful. The whole point of a block string is a string that people see on block that has variants allowing an opening if one of the variants hit.

P+K - throwing it out on block, will just put you back in defensive. You don't want that. 1PP+K however, different story. That one is useful since it has multiple hits and an option to go into 1PP4 or hop thing, seeing as 1PP is more useful than 1PP+K people will assume 1PP therefore go for a high crush- which is when you start throwing out 1PP+K for a free 6PK.

If K was punishable, it wouldn't matter anyway because it has a follow up so people are going to stay on the defensive regardless of the frame since KK is a sit-down stun.

I'd personally be looking at the frames of her strings- and not the frames of singular attacks. For instance sabaki p is useful, because it has the option to go into sabaki PP ( which is a launcher ) so regardless of the frame of sabaki p people will remain defensive ( unless you're stupidly obvious about it. ) so they don't get launched.

That's just the way I play DOA though. The frame of singular attacks within a string is completely irrelevant due to the follow up options of said string. For instance 6P with Kasumi is throw punishable, but nobody is going to try interrupt it due to her vast options afterwards, so you can 6P into a PP6PK or something. Does that make sense? =S

Still it's good to know that she does have safe options. Similar story with Momiji, all her useful stuff is throw punishable, but she is supposedly a safe character. But nobody uses her safe stuff because it's not really useful.

I guess we'll find out in 2 weeks ( well less than that now. ) though. I expect to hear how you're doing with her in comparison to Ryu =P

Brute

Standard Donor
Well, I'll adjust. But like I said, in comparison to the other females she doesn't have as much tools as you're making out she does. She might have more than Ryu ( though to me, in 5U he's a counter/grapple character who has some strikes with a godly range game. )
Well, his unbreakable throw is weaker than Tina's or Bass' (usually weaker than Leon's, as well). He doesn't have the OH options to compete with any of the other grapplers. And surprisingly, he doesn't have the string variation and mix-up other grapplers posses. I'm hesitant whether to consider him a grappler or not. He's a very strange character, and objectively evaluating him is very difficult.

I did actually edit that post after I posted it to include a blurb about his range game, which is abnormally powerful. Whiff baiting doesn't work as well on Hayabusa 'cause he can punish you from the whole screen away in the blink of an eye. Not quite Momiji crazy, but he still dominates the range game in ways other characters could never hope to.

Hmm, see. Like I said a lot of those are ending with the 9P or 6P+K. I also don't see a lot of the singular ones being entirely useful. The whole point of a block string is a string that people see on block that has variants allowing an opening if one of the variants hit.
P+K - throwing it out on block, will just put you back in defensive. You don't want that. 1PP+K however, different story. That one is useful since it has multiple hits and an option to go into 1PP4 or hop thing, seeing as 1PP is more useful than 1PP+K people will assume 1PP therefore go for a high crush- which is when you start throwing out 1PP+K for a free 6PK.
3K Safe i14 mid. A kick, nonetheless. For comparison, Ein's 3P is a safe, i13 mid P with no follow-ups, and Ein can chain that sucker in sequence and still apply some admirable pressure with it. We've got tools with MR. We just have to work harder than the average braindead character to apply 'em.

If K was punishable, it wouldn't matter anyway because it has a follow up so people are going to stay on the defensive regardless of the frame since KK is a sit-down stun.
Okay, but for example, if I use Ryu's 3PP on block (-10) which has a follow-up (mid P), but I free-cancel it and jsut-frame a follow-up jab, I'm often struck out of my follow-up, because high-level players do know when the follow-up window has expired, and the -10 takes a toll on initiating your new string. If it were -3 like MR's K, I'd be scoring CHs on my free-cancel all day long. Mid-string safe attacks are honestly the best type to abuse offensive pressure. And with your follow-up being a SDS, this could be a very useful bait trap.

I'd personally be looking at the frames of her strings- and not the frames of singular attacks. For instance sabaki p is useful, because it has the option to go into sabaki PP ( which is a launcher ) so regardless of the frame of sabaki p people will remain defensive ( unless you're stupidly obvious about it. ) so they don't get launched.
Again, I'd advise to let go of your attachment to strings. MR's aren't great, and don't have a ton of mix-up. I have a feeling she's the type of character where you'll be focusing on freestyle mixup, ie: asserting each individual strike or poke's own merits, both from stun, and from neutral.
But that's just what I'm used to, playing the characters that I do.

That's just the way I play DOA though. The frame of singular attacks within a string is completely irrelevant due to the follow up options of said string. For instance 6P with Kasumi is throw punishable, but nobody is going to try interrupt it due to her vast options afterwards, so you can 6P into a PP6PK or something. Does that make sense? =S
But if you always play patiently like that, high level players will abuse the way you "play it safe." All they then have to do is never finish strings and voila: you will never escape their pressure. Hitomi is actually better at this than Kasumi is.

FatalxInnocence

Well, his unbreakable throw is weaker than Tina's or Bass' (usually weaker than Leon's, as well). He doesn't have the OH options to compete with any of the other grapplers. And surprisingly, he doesn't have the string variation and mix-up other grapplers posses. I'm hesitant whether to consider him a grappler or not. He's a very strange character, and objectively evaluating him is very difficult.

Yeah, I getcha. I can't really say much in regards to Ryu. You do play him differently than what I'm used to though. A friend of my mines Kasumi & Ryu and his Ryu isn't so izuna based. Which makes yours a LOT hard to deal with you cause you seem to love them, and input them correctly every time ahahaha.

3K Safe i14 mid. A kick, nonetheless. For comparison, Ein's 3P is a safe, i13 mid P with no follow-ups, and Ein can chain that sucker in sequence and still apply some admirable pressure with it. We've got tools with MR. We just have to work harder than the average braindead character to apply 'em.

I'll adjust. I just view her similar to Lei-Fang, but with less options & more stance cancels. I just wish she had a low in her sabaki or the command ss. She admittedly does have a low from the roll, we'll see it's effectiveness though. I think people will be crouching more so from the roll stance due to her roll catch throw.

Okay, but for example, if I use Ryu's 3PP on block (-10) which has a follow-up (mid P), but I free-cancel it and jsut-frame a follow-up jab, I'm often struck out of my follow-up, because high-level players do know when the follow-up window has expired, and the -10 takes a toll on initiating your new string. If it were -3 like MR's K, I'd be scoring CHs on my free-cancel all day long. Mid-string safe attacks are honestly the best type to abuse offensive pressure. And with your follow-up being a SDS, this could be a very useful bait trap.

I do get your point. Sometimes I get struck out of guard canceling my strings. Sadly, Ryu doesn't have multiple follow ups from 3P, right? so you can't really do much with it pressure wise. Which is kind of my point in regard to block strings. A string that's 1 way is less valuable than a string with variation. Kasumi is a great example of this. She's punishable as all hells, however due to her string variation it's hard to actually land the punish.... granted she does have really good delay-able attacks as well.

Again, I'd advise to let go of your attachment to strings. MR's aren't great, and don't have a ton of mix-up. I have a feeling she's the type of character where you'll be focusing on freestyle mixup, ie: asserting each individual strike or poke's own merits, both from stun, and from neutral.
But that's just what I'm used to, playing the characters that I do.

Like I've been saying from the beginning, I'll definitely be playing her defensively. I don't plan to rush into things, or focusing too much on block strings ( which is my form of offense with most characters. ) It'll be a case of crushing, utilizing her stances and doing my best to read people with her adv counters. All it'll take is that 1 CH and then she'll kinda open up offensively as opposed to pressuring someone on block ( which is what I consider being offensive. ) and opening them up that way. As they say, the best offense is a good defense. I feel that'll be particular in Marie's case. Or at least, the way I plan to play her.

But if you always play patiently like that, high level players will abuse the way you "play it safe." All they then have to do is never finish strings and voila: you will never escape their pressure. Hitomi is actually better at this than Kasumi is.

I know that far too well hahaha, as someone who uses Hitomi... most people are kinda forced to just sit there as her string variety and length is extreme.... I think it's a bit too much to be honest. The amount of hits in her strings is ridiculous, and her stun game is easy mode. Also, not entirely true- crushing works wonders on people who play like that, especially characters like Hitomi. If you actually know their strings, it's fairly easy to high crush/low crush them.

Also with M.R I don't particularly think that play style would work. It wouldn't work against her either. She's got too much defensive tools, so people applying pressure- people will have to think much more due to her evasiveness. As I've said before, I think she'll have the best defensive playstyle in the game. Roll P to go under highs, or you could sabaki k/pp mid+high punches, you can command ss... not to mention if you can read it all just adv counter for a guaranteed juggle..

HoodsXx

I'm just going to go ahead and say it despite the hate I'll get but. Really to me she's going to be exactly like brad but way better. Mixups for days in stun evasiveness in the neutral game. OH's and a low OH too boot. Parries, Sabaki's stances, probably some resets once we find them. The list goes on. The only thing she'll have a problem with like brad is getting in when she's spaced out or doesn't have the life lead abd she needs to come in.

Brute

Standard Donor
Yeah, I getcha. I can't really say much in regards to Ryu. You do play him differently than what I'm used to though. A friend of my mines Kasumi & Ryu and his Ryu isn't so izuna based. Which makes yours a LOT hard to deal with you cause you seem to love them, and input them correctly every time ahahaha.
I don't do much stuff. But when I do do stuff, I do Izunas. :cool:

I do get your point. Sometimes I get struck out of guard canceling my strings. Sadly, Ryu doesn't have multiple follow ups from 3P, right? so you can't really do much with it pressure wise.
Yeah but that's basically every string Ryu has. Granted, there are better ones, but it's a common problem for him.

Which is kind of my point in regard to block strings. A string that's 1 way is less valuable than a string with variation. Kasumi is a great example of this. She's punishable as all hells, however due to her string variation it's hard to actually land the punish.... granted she does have really good delay-able attacks as well.
Which I agree with, but what I'm saying is that even a character with garbage strings and string mix-ups can hold their own. It just requires more skill on the player's part. And honestly, I find it more rewarding, myself. I'm actually kinda glad MR has this "handicap" for several reasons.

Like I've been saying from the beginning, I'll definitely be playing her defensively. I don't plan to rush into things, or focusing too much on block strings ( which is my form of offense with most characters. ) It'll be a case of crushing, utilizing her stances and doing my best to read people with her adv counters. All it'll take is that 1 CH and then she'll kinda open up offensively as opposed to pressuring someone on block ( which is what I consider being offensive. ) and opening them up that way. As they say, the best offense is a good defense. I feel that'll be particular in Marie's case. Or at least, the way I plan to play her.
Cool beans!

I know that far too well hahaha, as someone who uses Hitomi... most people are kinda forced to just sit there as her string variety and length is extreme.... I think it's a bit too much to be honest. The amount of hits in her strings is ridiculous, and her stun game is easy mode. Also, not entirely true- crushing works wonders on people who play like that, especially characters like Hitomi. If you actually know their strings, it's fairly easy to high crush/low crush them.
lol
fair enough

Also with M.R I don't particularly think that play style would work. It wouldn't work against her either. She's got too much defensive tools, so people applying pressure- people will have to think much more due to her evasiveness. As I've said before, I think she'll have the best defensive playstyle in the game. Roll P to go under highs, or you could sabaki k/pp mid+high punches, you can command ss... not to mention if you can read it all just adv counter for a guaranteed juggle..
We'll see, but in the end you will have to develop a method of pressure against a guarding opponent, ideally one separate from tick throws.
Ultimately, we'll see when she's released. Busa players have many different playstyles going between them, and MR very well, may too! Maybe we'll have totally different MR's. ;)

FatalxInnocence

We'll see, but in the end you will have to develop a method of pressure against a guarding opponent, ideally one separate from tick throws.
Ultimately, we'll see when she's released. Busa players have many different playstyles going between them, and MR very well, may too! Maybe we'll have totally different MR's. ;)

Hahahaha, time will tell. But I know for sure that once she's released she's probably going to be the only character I use for the rest of DOA5U. There's a tournament located in a different city in May, chances are I'm gonna go in with M.R so I gotta get all the practice I can get~ =]

I'm just going to go ahead and say it despite the hate I'll get but. Really to me she's going to be exactly like brad but way better. Mixups for days in stun evasiveness in the neutral game. OH's and a low OH too boot. Parries, Sabaki's stances, probably some resets once we find them. The list goes on. The only thing she'll have a problem with like brad is getting in when she's spaced out or doesn't have the life lead abd she needs to come in.

We'll see I guess. In my eyes she's just Lei with more stances, but less string variety. I don't see her having much similarities to Brad ( apart from their evasiveness.), but time will tell I suppose.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD