Momiji General Discussion

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
So I've found a few unholdable strike situations for Momiji. They can occur after her usual 6PKKP juggle, or generic knockdowns like 66P/4P/4K in deeper threshold.

For those unaware of what unholdable situations are, read this to get a gist of it.

After a 6PKKP juggle and the opponent techs up;

Micro dash > 4K is an unholdable mid kick. +5 on neutral hit, stuns on counter hit and threshold. -5 if blocked, safe.

Micro dash > 6P+K is an unholdable high punch. Stuns on neutral hit, side feint stun on counter hit and threshold. -3 if blocked, safe.

66P is an unholdable mid punch. +7 on neutral hit, stuns on counter hit and threshold. -5 if blocked, safe.

That is what I have so far, working on seeing if I can 44K, 9K and 66~6H+K as well.

splslick

So I've found a few unholdable strike situations for Momiji. They can occur after her usual 6PKKP juggle, or generic knockdowns like 66P/4P/4K in deeper threshold.

For those unaware of what unholdable situations are, read this to get a gist of it.

After a 6PKKP juggle and the opponent techs up;

Micro dash > 4K is an unholdable mid kick. +5 on neutral hit, stuns on counter hit and threshold. -5 if blocked, safe.

Micro dash > 6P+K is an unholdable high punch. Stuns on neutral hit, side feint stun on counter hit and threshold. -3 if blocked, safe.

66P is an unholdable mid punch. +7 on neutral hit, stuns on counter hit and threshold. -5 if blocked, safe.

That is what I have so far, working on seeing if I can 44K, 9K and 66~6H+K as well.
Is there any leeway when it comes to this...I slightly skimmed through it so I can be wrong in my understanding

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
When it comes to an unholdable strike, no, it has to be on the exact first frame or it'll fail. So you'll have to know if your opponent is going to tech up or not, on read.

Shadow985

I'm really enjoying Momiji now that I've started hitting the lab in depth with her. I love how I can play the stun game, go for stun launch, or play a frame trap heavy style with her, or just whiff punish all game and all of her options are effective at what they do. Not only that, but she's swaggy as hell too.

She just feels so complete as a character. She has a bunch of lift stuns, a few good feint stuns, frame traps, guaranteed damage set ups, great movement and space control, safety out the ass, a godlike 2P, and a strong crush game to deal with faster characters. She doesn't have the best grabs but they get the job done. Honestly, I feel like her only weaknesses are that all of those advantages are contained inside just a handful of moves, and that her mid launchers are both much slower, and unsafe for the most part. Her lift stuns help a lot with that, but she can get really predictable if you aren't careful.

At the same time, even her weakness can be a potential advantage. Most of my options come from the same moves, but they can be applied in certain situations to switch up my game the fly. I can go from playing the stun game to frame trapping the other person when they're expecting a CB, and depending on how I set up a frame trap, I can opt to just launch them instead. Especially if I notice they're not stagger escaping. Then I can use her hop after 3P stun and one other move I can't remember right now to bait out holds or catch them mashing for a "punish." (If someone could check what the advantage is after 3P > 9P with stagger escape on, that'd be cool. I forgot to set that up today, and I can't check right now.)

She just feels like a super intuitive character. Hajin pointed out awhile ago that I have (had) a habit of not capitalizing on a lot of my stuns. That was because I was trying to figure out what to do next after I scored a hit. Idk if it was all the smash I was playing while I took a DoA hiatus, but I just do what I feel now instead of trying to calculate mid stun when I play her. I've been getting pretty solid results with it so far too.

I should be around better internet in a week or two so I'll keep labbing and scrubkilling until then and then I'm grinding matchups with people from here.

Only thing left to figure out now is why I dropped her in the first place...

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Starting this Friday till 11/14/2014, I will host Ayane&Momiji sessions by request, to help players out that want to learn the character.

These sessions will be for those who have an interest in picking up Ayane and/or Momiji, or would like to learn more about utilizing the characters. I will be doing these player sessions by request, so if anyone is interested, all you need to do is let me know here on my profile, in the Ayane and Momiji forums, on PSN or XBL.

These will be small, 4 player lobbies, and I will be using a mic for PSN. XBL I will have to use Skype. Voice communication will make the training sessions a lot easier. I will go over the basics, their Integrated Movement, general fundamentals, how to establish a neutral game, and any questions or concerns someone may have regarding the character, or themselves.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Yeah it's apparently a 9 hour difference from Cali to Paris.

@jjinkou2 What would be a good time for you? I will try to adjust a decent schedule for you, depending on the time.

@SilverForte I gotcha bro. Just give me a time and day.

jjinkou2

Sorry i wasn't connected to FSD. It's kind from you but don't bother: time difference + lag = nobody would enjoy it.

A better solution would be a recorded video from your training session.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
It's been kind of tricky making video tutorials. Some time between SoCal Regionals and EVO events I'll have a guide/tutorial up and ready for Momiji (one or the other). I may end up with a video tutorial though so I can elaborate on this character more in-depth. Lots of priorities have kept me from releasing new content as of late.

Momiji is not a "6PKK" on block nonsense kind of character.

splslick

It's been kind of tricky making video tutorials. Some time between SoCal Regionals and EVO events I'll have a guide/tutorial up and ready for Momiji (one or the other). I may end up with a video tutorial though so I can elaborate on this character more in-depth. Lots of priorities have kept me from releasing new content as of late.

Momiji is not a "6PKK" on block nonsense kind of character.
But that's what people think she is =[ =[ =[ =[ =[

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD