Momiji General Discussion

Xernuht

Giving it some more thought, as a possible change for 6, make her 12f throw the Izuna Drop, and make her current 12f her Advanced Mid P hold.

MomijiMania

Found a new stuff, ignore this if you have known.
If Tenku P hits a [standing] oppnent,it will cause a bouncing state.Then 1PK.If they don't tech at the first time they will get hit by 1PK force tech,if they do,then if they dont duck defend they will still get hit by 1PK, but if they duck defend after tech it's end though.Also you can use 1PP which will knock them down,then immediately 1PK again,situation loops.Actually you can watch opponent's move during 1P and decide whether 1PP or 1PK.
This will fuck those who think they only need to duck/low attack/down hold when you are in tenku stance to only get a little damage of tenku p.
They will possibly enjoy a 100-based combo instead.
If they know this,then Tenku T or tenku free cancel comes.Only fuzzy guard can really deal with tenku,which is difficult for most people and still painful even for those who can since he needs to input a lot with good timing while you only need to 6PKK.

Last edited:

KING JAIMY

Found a new stuff, ignore this if you have known.
If Tenku P hits a [standing] oppnent,it will cause a bouncing state.Then 1PK.If they don't tech at the first time they will get hit by 1PK force tech,if they do,then if they dont duck defend they will still get hit by 1PK, but if they duck defend after tech it's end though.Also you can use 1PP which will knock them down,then immediately 1PK again,situation loops.Actually you can watch opponent's move during 1P and decide whether 1PP or 1PK.
This will fuck those who think they only need to duck/low attack/down hold when you are in tenku stance to only get a little damage of tenku p.
They will possibly enjoy a 100-based combo instead.
If they know this,then Tenku T or tenku free cancel comes.Only fuzzy guard can really deal with tenku,which is difficult for most people and still painful even for those who can since he needs to input a lot with good timing while you only need to 6PKK.
Nice find, I do this every once in a while but not against high-level opponents.

MomijiMania

Nice find, I do this every once in a while but not against high-level opponents.
What is your main strategy to pick when facing high-level opponents?I will only turtle away and use 2HK,3K,66P,1PK or 44K to try to open their defence.
Would love to get some advice from u bro.

KING JAIMY

What is your main strategy to pick when facing high-level opponents?I will only turtle away and use 2HK,3K,66P,1PK or 44K to try to open their defence.
Would love to get some advice from u bro.
The most important thing you should keep in mind is that you should adapt to your opponent and see how he reacts in certain situations. I usually use her jab strings, 2P, 3P, 6P, 8P, 6P+K, KK, KP and H+K up close in neutral and use slower moves like 66P, 44K, 3K, 1P, 2H+K, and 4K at range in neutral. Once you've established an offense, you don't necessarily have to play the stun game since her stun-launch damage is scary as it is. Moves I like to use during stun are 3P, 6P, 66P, 3K, PPP and 6H+K. I rarely go for CBs and once I've got them in a good stun. I usually launch them with 8K, 33P or Uzukaze PK and its string variants. A good defensive tool is 7K which is only 12 frames and is a good ''get off'' me move. Also if you're on defense but blocking rather than being in stun, you can use her 12 frame 2P to intercept a lot of your opponents' options. Hope this helps!

MomijiMania

The most important thing you should keep in mind is that you should adapt to your opponent and see how he reacts in certain situations. I usually use her jab strings, 2P, 3P, 6P, 8P, 6P+K, KK, KP and H+K up close in neutral and use slower moves like 66P, 44K, 3K, 1P, 2H+K, and 4K at range in neutral. Once you've established an offense, you don't necessarily have to play the stun game since her stun-launch damage is scary as it is. Moves I like to use during stun are 3P, 6P, 66P, 3K, PPP and 6H+K. I rarely go for CBs and once I've got them in a good stun. I usually launch them with 8K, 33P or Uzukaze PK and its string variants. A good defensive tool is 7K which is only 12 frames and is a good ''get off'' me move. Also if you're on defense but blocking rather than being in stun, you can use her 12 frame 2P to intercept a lot of your opponents' options. Hope this helps!
This definitely helps!
Uzukaze PK for a laucher is good!
Neutral game for momiji is really good especially in mid-close and mid-range for she has many fast kick options.
And I really agree with that Momiji doesn't need CB because of various launchers with easy juggles and good damage.
Your words just refresh my mind,I will add this strategy to my battle style!;)

Last edited:

Tenro

anybody has some tips on how to handle ayane with momiji ? honestly , she is the only character i have trouble with , especially that notorious mid k , down k string ( the one which gives her +15 advantage) . any general tips that should be kept in mind when facing her ?

KING JAIMY

anybody has some tips on how to handle ayane with momiji ? honestly , she is the only character i have trouble with , especially that notorious mid k , down k string ( the one which gives her +15 advantage) . any general tips that should be kept in mind when facing her ?
Unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge about Ayane so I might be misinforming you if I would try to help you. Perhaps @iHajinShinobi is willing to teach you the Ayane match-up.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
The match up with Ayane with any character is all about making Ayane impatient and being more patient than her. Momiji has the tools to fight her which is why I think it's a pretty fair match up (5-5). An Ayane that has to overextend (finish strings) so often is a rather easy opponent to beat.

@Tenro do you happen to have any of your matches you could link here? It would give me a better idea on what you're having trouble with.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor

If you're struggling with moves like 6K2K, it might be a case of having difficulty fighting Ayane in general as opposed to a Momiji specific situation. A good thing to note about the 6K~ follow-ups is that there is only a high or low follow-up, meaning that the mix-up boils down to whether she'll finish the string or not (i.e. Will she do 6K2K or just do a 6K free cancel? Though 6K's follow-ups do have a massive delay window). Basically when getting used to 6K/6K2K, you can prioritize a crouching action to deal with a potential follow-up like low-holding the second hit on reaction, which admittedly takes practice.

Momiji can fight Ayane just fine thanks to her outstanding neutral game. As Hajin alluded to, an Ayane that becomes impatient is essentially an easy foe for any character because it's very easy for her to "hang herself" with carelessness. If Ayane makes any mistakes, you have to pounce on them with Momiji's excellent whiff punishment. In close range Momiji is slightly faster than Ayane too thanks to her i12 moves like her 6P or H+K.

But yeah, @iHajinShinobi can help you out really well with these 2 characters.

Tenro

force got down my problem pretty accurately . i m generally very vulnerable to such string which causes stun on NH , on top on that with advantage like +12 :( . i can say it detail , ayane can't touch me unless i trade recklessly or that 6k2k stun . most time i try to interrupt her spinning stance with 2p . is that correct thing to do ? and those BT high slaps of hers make slow escape difficult . holds are last line of my defence . unfortunately i don't have any match vids :(

btw i read the discussion about making momiji OP lol , if she really needs some izuna changes , TN should just change her junyozan (236 p+k ) wall splat property . i m pretty sure ryu's shoho izuna doesn't wall splats . that'll make easier to incorporate her izuna in ceiling stages .

Tenro

i know that but many breakable objects in such stages are very close to the horizontal wall . with ryu , it's simple , break the object ,do CB or izuna . with her there is that problem that the initial 236 p+k slams u in the wall instead of going airborne . that hitbox is very strange if u ask me .

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
i know that but many breakable objects in such stages are very close to the horizontal wall . with ryu , it's simple , break the object ,do CB or izuna . with her there is that problem that the initial 236 p+k slams u in the wall instead of going airborne . that hitbox is very strange if u ask me .

A funny quirk of DOA5LR's combo system is that if you knock an opponent into a breakable object that initiates a SDS, the wall splat property of moves will be suspended until the current combo has completed.

Overall, I would prefer if Momiji's Izuna didn't wall splat however.

KING JAIMY

What do you guys usually do if you've hit confirmed BT 4K? There are no guaranteed follow-ups as far as I know if the opponent is stagger escaping at fastest but I would like to know what you usually do nonetheless. I rarely use the move if not at all anymore so I am not aware of a few effective follow-ups.

Xernuht

What do you guys usually do if you've hit confirmed BT 4K? There are no guaranteed follow-ups as far as I know if the opponent is stagger escaping at fastest but I would like to know what you usually do nonetheless. I rarely use the move if not at all anymore so I am not aware of a few effective follow-ups.

Basically, what Hajin said.

In open space, BT P and BT 4P are better.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD