Nioh General Discussion

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Well I did it! I finally got my platinum trophy for Nioh2!! I can’t wait for the DLC :D
1C1C411B-8A2C-4B84-813F-9BAB90569C1C.jpeg

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I just recently got that trophy the other day. I had to literally think about which Soul Core I don't have by looking through the Yokai list. Finally found it through there, and turned out to be those damn Umi-Bozus.

Took me awhile since I didn't know which one I was missing and had like a shit ton of them+duplicates.

The only trophies i'm missing is the weapons trophy. Have to do the Axe and Kusari-Gama and it'll be platinum. Man... really not looking forward to the Axe lol. Time to whack away big health Yokais with it I guess.

Brute

Standard Donor
I just recently got that trophy the other day. I had to literally think about which Soul Core I don't have by looking through the Yokai list. Finally found it through there, and turned out to be those damn Umi-Bozus.
My last one was the Toxic Umi-Bozu. What are the odds?

Finally got it. Now I don't have to worry about grinding these anymore since I never use them (until the DLC and/or Pc version makes me do it all over again).

I find it funny how many stats and affixes are centered around anima gain when I perpetually have full anima. I have literally never been in a scenario where I needed to burst counter but couldn't because I was out of anima. Are you guys using yokai abilities and yokai shift and all that stuff?

The only trophies i'm missing is the weapons trophy. Have to do the Axe and Kusari-Gama and it'll be platinum. Man... really not looking forward to the Axe lol. Time to whack away big health Yokais with it I guess.
It's actually pretty fast with the way proficiency scaling works on the higher difficulty. Just pop into any ol' stage, summon revenants, use the high stance light-light-heavy combo, and you'll have it in no time. Alternatively, high stance strong attack against basically any yokai that whiffs anything.

Despite that, while the greataxe is a bit more fun this time around, I still don't care much for it. My current affection order would probably go:
1) Tonfa
2) Switchglaive
3) Katana
4) Kusari-Gama
5) Spear
6) Dual Swords
7) Odachi
8) Dual Hatchets
9) Axe/Hammer

But I like using all of them a lot, save the bottom two.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
The dual hatchets are fun if you have time to create builds. The Hatchets are a blast to use in coop but I do think their purpose runs thin. Over time it doesn't get anymore exciting to throw the hatchets and that's my main concern.

I don't like the hammer or axe either. Being hit mid move consistently is never a good thing in my book.

It's hard for me to look past the switchglaive because I like the movement and side switches with some of the moves.

I like the odachi because it's satisfying to cut off heads with a heavy swipe and it feels a lot easier to operate than the damn hammer for that said heavy damage.

Brute

Standard Donor
I don't have the toughness/poise to tank hits mid-move given that I refuse to exceed the blue weight tier, but I basically end up playing the greataxe/hammer like a shittier version of the odachi that also doesn't look as cool. So like... why?

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I don't have the toughness/poise to tank hits mid-move given that I refuse to exceed the blue weight tier, but I basically end up playing the greataxe/hammer like a shittier version of the odachi that also doesn't look as cool. So like... why?

To me it's the weapon you have left to master when there is nothing left to do with the game.

But yeah agreed. Someday I will look into the hammer... someday.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Are you guys using yokai abilities and yokai shift and all that stuff?

With the Yokai Shift, Unpopular moment, but I rarely ever use it. In all honesty, I either use it as a meat shield or in the dark realms where it gains some anima enhancements I guess. The triangle+Circle attack eats up a ton of duration where with all that work you can just pop guardian talismans, Sometimes I feel like it's just "there", or a total waste of time (least imo).

The Yokai anima abilities however, yeah quite a bit lol. Kasha, Ryomen Sukuna etc. Some of the other monster cores within Nioh 2 are pretty damn busted though, but I definitely use the anima Yokai abilities.

Last edited:

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I definitely use anima and abilities. I think for the mere bad ass factor alone. Phantom is imo the most fun to use.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Anything bare-handed is pretty fun. Actually would be nice if there were more bare-handed attacks or skills. Like some kind of guard break attack etc.

Bare-handed stuff is a lot better in Nioh 2 from what I've seen since there are actual builds for it now. In Nioh 1 there was one, but you had to get exact tempers and RNG jesus to get specific traits on it. Wasn't worth it in the first game I hear, but they seem more fun this time around.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD