Nioh General Discussion

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
So, Switchglaive is totally OP, right? it's not just me?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Especially putting the magic stat behind it, defense debuffs, some move that you can just immediately stun lock enemies that does strong damage in mid stance. Put that with a purification+electric debuff and then enemies just sit there eating huge tons of damage.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was changed. Kusagari-gama pre-patch Nioh 1 all over again lol.

Brute

Standard Donor
If the switchglaive had its own Iai strike, there would be no reason to use any other weapon.

Low stance light attack is arguably the best lockdown string in the game. Great hitbox, good stunlock, good damage, and can chain into excellent specials.

Mid stance light attack is the most effective kiting string in the game. It has a wide-sweeping hitbox (forward and to the side) that invariably hits short enemies even on uneven surfaces. Great stun-lock properties, can chain into heavy stance for pressure, and has bizarrely efficient ki usage.

Heavy stance light attack is insane. It's immune to guard reflect, does huge ki damage, excellent stunlock and the optional Square-square-triangle hook pull is timed in such a way barely any humanoid enemies can break out of it.

Heavy stance strong attack has good speed for its ridiculous range, can be charged, and overall functions as a superior version of your standard heavy strong, single-hit punish.

It also has its own version of reaper (rapid-strikes until ki is depleted), and light stance gets to be a discount Yata Mirror.

I'm sure there's more OP switchglaive stuff that I haven't discovered yet, as I'm still quite early in the game. But honestly, right now, it feels even more versatile than vanilla Nioh kusari-gama in the days of YOLO bladespin. Far more fun to use and less braindead, but still!

How are the dual hatchets? I messed with them just a bit in the demos, but they didn't really seem my speed, so I haven't really touched them in the full release, yet.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
How are the dual hatchets? I messed with them just a bit in the demos, but they didn't really seem my speed, so I haven't really touched them in the full release, yet.

Tried them here and there, and they still seem pretty fairly strong (least imo course), still trying to figure them out myself on any of the attack usages and situations honestly. I am thinking of really trying them out at some point way later in the game maybe, but the Spear and Scythe have been far too much fun for me lately lol. So far my experience with the double hatchets on testing or just playing around have been mostly positive. Think the only weapon I've had truly bad experiences with in terms of all Nioh weapons is the Axe but haven't really tried that one lately.

I think an early issue for me too is that i'm not even sure where to begin with the hatchets truthfully since I don't have access to the entire unlocked arsenal of attacks and techniques, most of the attacks I do is rather general. Like what's a good situation for me to use a mid stance hatchets on a specific enemy/multiple enemies vs the spear for example, or a heavy stance on a specific enemy, which one does better ki damage on hit/on block etc. On top that I barely have any important stat points linked to it, and barely any proficiency accumulation since I wanted to get the experience of playing the latest game with two weapons i'm already familiar with from the first Nioh lol (Katana/Spear), it's only recently that I replaced my trusty katana with a scythe since roughly all my experience with the first game was more often with the katana, but gotta say that i'm really loving Nioh 2!

Last edited:

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Especially putting the magic stat behind it, defense debuffs, some move that you can just immediately stun lock enemies that does strong damage in mid stance. Put that with a purification+electric debuff and then enemies just sit there eating huge tons of damage.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was changed. Kusagari-gama pre-patch Nioh 1 all over again lol.

SG is OP in every sense of the word. I can escape easily with it and easily maintain my stamina with it despite the size.

But I can't seem to pick one weapon or another. I'm constantly in my menus deciding which I should take to the field next.

I prefer the Odachi and Hatchets.

Brute

Standard Donor
I've mostly been switching between the single katana, tonfas, and switchglaive. The axe was the only weapon in the first game I didn't like using, and I need to start using the kusari-gama and odachi more (love them).

Onryoki

Standard Donor
I really feel comfortable playing with the Dual hatchets and spear. The dual hatchets are amazing at a distance since you can just charge and throw them. However, I like to use any weapon in the game. I hope we’ll get new base weapons as DLC soon!

btw what level are you guys? I’m level 60+ I think.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
@Brute @CyberEvil Inside NIOH 2:

Ninja Gaiden has been mentioned here too, and the producer of Bloodborne (Masaaki Yamigawa) also worked alongside Yasuda with Nioh whom both Yasuda and him became actual friends.

- Yasuda hinted of a Nioh 3 and definitely discussing it near the end of the video, Yasuda laughed and said it sounds scary and that he's out of ideas at the moment, but still interested.
- He wants to get other Team NINJA titles off the ground (Nani? Ninja Gaiden?).
- They want to launch a new global IP and is in the works with Team NINJA and KT behind it.

Even talks about the positions being director and producer, the work behind it etc.

Why in the thumbnail he looks like he's about to drop one of the top albums of 2020!

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
Anyone know how to display coats in Nioh 2?

In the first game, if you equipped a piece of torso armor with an outer coat, the coat would display until you equipped a pair of legging that were incompatible with the coat, at which point the outer coat would be removed. In Nioh 2, the outer coats seem to be permanently toggled off.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Anyone know how to display coats in Nioh 2?

In the first game, if you equipped a piece of torso armor with an outer coat, the coat would display until you equipped a pair of legging that were incompatible with the coat, at which point the outer coat would be removed. In Nioh 2, the outer coats seem to be permanently toggled off.
Have you tried looking at the game options? I saw an option to toggle headgear on/off maybe it’s there?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Nioh 2 patch notes:
90181962_1502528616582123_510922321620369408_o.jpg

90174860_1502528629915455_6629932910784806912_o.jpg

90344962_1502528603248791_5707394005986181120_o.jpg

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD