"Now For Business..." General DOA5 Christie Gameplay Discussion

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Lemme know how the session goes guys and save some replays. :)

Hey, what do you guys think of the JAK-backdash techniques? I'm trying to incorporate them into my gameplay and the options off them seem cool. JAK~44T seems the most potent with a throw similar to 3P+K~T. JAK~44P is a nice +4 GB and a float bound on NH. And JAK~44K is a sneaky linear low sweep to catch people who aren't watching their ankles.

JAK~44P seems like the safest option since it GB's on block and bounds on hit, whereas the other 2 options can be blown up if misplaced. Also what are some options after JAK~44P besides 66K? (Which is nice for a wall slam, but still modest damage wise). Oh and JAK~44~33 is pretty nifty too. I'm trying to do a little Christie shuffle now lol.

Last edited:

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
When you JAK>44 be careful. Some characters can hit you clean out of it if the player is expecting it. I've gotten the most mileage out of it from A)people who block too much and fuzzy well and B)from people trying to throw punish me(incorrectly) from a machine gun JAK cancel.

As with most of her mixups it can be punished if used too much.

As for those replays its all on Leopold to upload them. I told him to save and observe them for his own use.

MomijiMania

A new one here:)
Got two questions to ask
1.How to handle Kasumi's:4::P: in the close distance?Because her:4::P:can just evade my :P: ,anand I'm afraid of using :6::P: which may be slower than her:P:
2.In the long distance.Christie seems to be a bit powerless,especially against hayabusa,ayane,hayate,jann lee these mid/long distance-strong character.
Is there a proper strategy to get close safely?
The only option i've got is rushing and press a :h: then quickly use :H+K: ,but this is a bit difficult to catch the timing,and both late or early input may get punished.
if there's any misunderstanding,plz just point it out.Wait for you:)

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Greetings @MomijiMania !

For Kasumi's 44P, use 1P against it, though any hi-crushing move should work, which Christie has loads of (2H+KP, 33P, (3)P, 3P, etc.). 44P side-steps slightly and 1P also happens to track.

To close distance you can run up and block like you do, though you shouldn't be too far away with Christie anyway. Run up H+K/6PP/4K~/2H+K is fine also. You can get creative with 2P+K/8P+K & 2P+K~44/8P+K~44 to make it a little more difficult for your opponent to approach you. Rolls with 3P+K & 2P+K/8P+K~443 also have the ability to mid-crush.

Rest assured, Christie is not powerless against Jann Lee, Hayabusa, Ayane or Hayate. Quite the contrary, Christie can be a huge pain in the ass to them lol :cool:.

Last edited:

MomijiMania

Greetings @MomijiMania !

For Kasumi's 4P, use 1P against it, though any hi-crushing move should work, which Christie has loads of (2H+KP, 33P, (3)P, 3P, etc.). 4P side-steps slightly and 1P also happens to track.

To close distance you can run up and block like you do, though you shouldn't be too far away with Christie anyway. Run up H+K/6PP/4K~/2H+K is fine also. You can get creative with 2P+K/8P+K & 2P+K~44/8P+K~44 to make it a little more difficult for your opponent to approach you. Rolls with 3P+K & 2P+K/8P+K~443 also have the ability to mid-crush.

Rest assured, Christie is not powerless against Jann Lee, Hayabusa, Ayane or Hayate. Quite the contrary, Christie can be a huge pain in the ass to them lol :cool:.
gracias man!
Isn't kasumi's 4P a mid punch?Can low attack crush a mid punch?:confused:
Running up and block is an awesome strategy;)!Then the after-block 6PP/2H+K P would be damn offensive.
6PP/H+K/4K/2H+K after running needs an H for canceling the running ,right?

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
gracias man!
Isn't kasumi's 4P a mid punch?Can low attack crush a mid punch?:confused:
Running up and block is an awesome strategy;)!Then the after-block 6PP/2H+K P would be damn offensive.
6PP/H+K/4K/2H+K after running needs an H for canceling the running ,right?

Shit my bad, I was thinking of 44P lol. 4P shouldn't be a problem. The follow-ups are unsafe and holdable even on hit. If you read a 4P free cancel, strike back immediately with PP~ or 6PP~ or you can try to neutral throw it if you're feeling ballsy. For fighting Kasumi, don't stay in her face unless you're at the advantage. Fight her at mid range. Poke with 6PP~, 4K~, H+K~, 3K~ or 2H+K~.

You can cancel running with H or 4(4). You can even freestep with 2 or 8 if you want.

MomijiMania

Shit my bad, I was thinking of 44P lol. 4P shouldn't be a problem. The follow-ups are unsafe and holdable even on hit. If you read a 4P free cancel, strike back immediately with PP~ or 6PP~ or you can try to neutral throw it if you're feeling ballsy. For fighting Kasumi, don't stay in her face unless you're at the advantage. Fight her at mid range. Poke with 6PP~, 4K~, H+K~, 3K~ or 2H+K~.

You can cancel running with H or 4(4). You can even freestep with 2 or 8 if you want.
I see ,so in the close distance against kasumi it seems better to defend instead of attacking .
And is there a good way to get rid of the close situation against kasumi?
As I know 2P/2H+K/1P is pretty slow and easy to be countered by kasumi's 4p,and 7K could just be interrupted by kasumi's 9F P.
Still thanks .:)

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I see ,so in the close distance against kasumi it seems better to defend instead of attacking .
And is there a good way to get rid of the close situation against kasumi?
As I know 2P/2H+K/1P is pretty slow and easy to be countered by kasumi's 4p,and 7K could just be interrupted by kasumi's 9F P.
Still thanks .:)
You're actually overthinking the situation lol. Christie can fight Kasumi in close just fine, it's just that Kasumi's tools are more beneficial for fighting in CQC. There isn't a specific way to "get Kasumi off you" when in close. You'll simply have to fight back with 5P & 6P strings. Christie's sidestep evasion is also amazing with JAK & 7P.

This might help: http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/the-christie-match-up-thread.2094/page-2#post-249015

I really need to get back into MU's. Which would people prefer Brad Wong or Helena?

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
You're actually overthinking the situation lol. Christie can fight Kasumi in close just fine, it's just that Kasumi's tools are more beneficial for fighting in CQC. There isn't a specific way to "get Kasumi off you" when in close. You'll simply have to fight back with 5P & 6P strings. Christie's sidestep evasion is also amazing with JAK & 7P.

This might help: http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/the-christie-match-up-thread.2094/page-2#post-249015

I really need to get back into MU's. Which would people prefer Brad Wong or Helena?
Definitely Helena. Brad just derps you to death honestly but Helena is a slight mindfuck.

FakeSypha

Great MU explanations there! (Y)

MomijiMania

Oh nice,awesome for the data!

MomijiMania

I'd like to share my small experiences and some problems I meet during using Christie.;)
After several days of my poor tranning and fights online,this is how I play with Christie:
In close distance,use PP2K,PPPP2P,6PP,2H+KP,or just defend.
In medium close distance,use 6PP/6PPP/2H+KP/3PP(P) to look for a counter stun,or H+K/H+KK to get stun immediately.
If defended,start blocking immediately,I set my L1 as the second H button so I can hold the L1 while using attack with out an H like 6PP,2PP,PP.
This will save a lot of time and enable me to switch between defend and attack quickly.But you have to release it if you want to use HK,2HK,hold.
I found that enemies rarely throw me when I start defending,maybe they were afraid of eating an counter 6PP if pressed T button LOL.
If the enemy seems to hold my 6P frequently,I may use 4T then 6PP or 6PPPP if he is in BT state.PP after 4T seems not good for a human player,I don't know why.
In long and semi-long distance I seem to be a bit helpless,enemies would just use their long range attacks to mash me ,so I have to defend or evade with jakeiho,which makes me fight passively.
I've tried to run up and give an HK,but still a bit difficult for me to catch the right timing.:oops:
I would be confident when it's near a wall,because christie's got so many ways to play a wall fight (6KK.6KP,3PPP,7K.66T,4T,4P+K hold,6PPPP ,PKK and so on),both to a wall and behind.
I've seen a lot SS p used in Mr Kwiggle's battles and it works so great to crush enemy's following combos and switchs Christie's battle into huge advantage immediately,in the following a few days I would focus on trainning with this move.
That's all for me to fight in the most time,of course some okizeme strategies like 214P,9KK,8PP,and some luck-based long range mash skills like rush KK,rush p+k(236P),are not memtioned.
Eager for more practical strategies and if there's any misunderstanding then feel free to point it out.
.:)

Last edited:

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
I would advise you to keep your strings as short as possible. Past the third hit that's blocked then you can get throw punished/held. Try free cancelling P, 6P and tick throwing from it. People like to mash Mid P hold against Christie so abuse this with 7P(which is the same as SS>P minus the sidestep)9P or a throw for high counter.

As for range Christie is good at getting stuns off of counter hits, which you should be going for at a distance. 6P has good but not great range and its one of those mid P attacks that people love to mash the hold button for but you also have 2H+K. This move at a distance is really good for counter hits as it crushes highs, tracks and puts people in a deep stun on CH but you want to fight the urge to use the P followup as it can be the cause of many lost matches. You can delay the followup to see how they hold and whether to use the P followup or to use the throw followup.

And last but not least learn the range of 214P and learn how to do it on reaction. Some of her most brutal stun mixups can be started from this move from which you can begin the 3P+K shenanigans.

Also don't be afraid to back off and give your opponent some rope to hang themselves(unless they are near a corner of course). All those ways around wakeup kicks can be effective but they are risky as hell to me, especially online. I found the most success in backing off and letting them make more mistakes after I complete a combo but of course this is all on how you want to handle it.

Last edited:

MomijiMania

I would advise you to keep your strings as short as possible. Past the third hit that's blocked then you can get throw punished/held. Try free cancelling P, 6P and tick throwing from it. People like to mash Mid P hold against Christie so abuse this with 7P(which is the same as SS>P minus the sidestep)9P or a throw for high counter.

As for range Christie is good at getting stuns off of counter hits, which you should be going for at a distance. 6P has good but not great range and its one of those mid P attacks that people love to mash the hold button for but you also have 2H+K. This move at a distance is really good for counter hits as it crushes highs, tracks and puts people in a deep stun on CH but you want to fight the urge to use the P followup as it can be the cause of many lost matches. You can delay the followup to see how they hold and whether to use the P followup or to use the throw followup.

And last but not least learn the range of 214P and learn how to do it on reaction. Some of her most brutal stun mixups can be started from this move from which you can begin the 3P+K shenanigans.

Also don't be afraid to back off and give your opponent some rope to hang themselves(unless they are near a corner of course). All those ways around wakeup kicks can be effective but they are risky as hell to me, especially online. I found the most success in backing off and letting them make more mistakes after I complete a combo but of course this is all on how you want to handle it.
Thanks for the detailed advice!
Sounds pretty wise to use 7P when the opponent is mashing the mid hold,because it gives an immediate 30+ stun.
9P is also good when the opponent is defending like a tortoise for it's 0 frame disadvantage when defended.
Got two question about 2H+K and its follows.
I suppose 2H+K can only hit the enemy in a mid-short range,or maybe it can crush
the rush attacks of the opponent in the long range?
The second one is about the 2H+K T throw.I found that if enemy got hit by the
2H+K in normal hit,he can just press 2(down button)to both defend the 2H+K P
follow and avoid the 2H+K T throw since the throw only works when he is standing
or stand-holding.So is it in the counter hit situation.Is this move a bit
useless?
And the 3P+K shenanigans,I know 3P+K P/PP would give a good stun and 3P+K K
would give a launcher in CH.
But what about the 3P+K throw [in the open area]?How to follow the attack after
this?Because it seems a bit too far to follow and I can only use 66KK or 66PP.
Finally I don't quite get the meaning of " backing off and letting them make
more mistakes" ,does it mean let them attack first and then defend and fight back or sidestep or 214P?
Maybe I've asked too much :oops:

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Thanks for the detailed advice!
Sounds pretty wise to use 7P when the opponent is mashing the mid hold,because it gives an immediate 30+ stun.
9P is also good when the opponent is defending like a tortoise for it's 0 frame disadvantage when defended.
Got two question about 2H+K and its follows.
I suppose 2H+K can only hit the enemy in a mid-short range,or maybe it can crush
the rush attacks of the opponent in the long range?
The second one is about the 2H+K T throw.I found that if enemy got hit by the
2H+K in normal hit,he can just press 2(down button)to both defend the 2H+K P
follow and avoid the 2H+K T throw since the throw only works when he is standing
or stand-holding.So is it in the counter hit situation.Is this move a bit
useless?
And the 3P+K shenanigans,I know 3P+K P/PP would give a good stun and 3P+K K
would give a launcher in CH.
But what about the 3P+K throw [in the open area]?How to follow the attack after
this?Because it seems a bit too far to follow and I can only use 66KK or 66PP.
Finally I don't quite get the meaning of " backing off and letting them make
more mistakes" ,does it mean let them attack first and then defend and fight back or sidestep or 214P?
Maybe I've asked too much :oops:

2H+K~T is one of the most useless moves in Christie's arsenal. No one, and I mean, no one half-decent at DOA5LR gets hit by that throw. Everyone instinctually ducks after getting hit by 2H+K. Just do 2H+K~delay P or 2H+K free cancels. Use 2H+K as a solid hi-crush also.

7P and 9P are both solid high pokes during stun and on an opponent's block. P+K is another solid safe high that grants nice rewards on NH or CH.

The strength of 3P+K shenanigans comes from giving the opponent another thing to worry about during critical stun. What you can do is run up the stun threshold to Critical Level 3 ("Red Stun"), then perform either 3P+K~T, 3P+K~K or 3P+K~PP/3P+K~P+K near a wall. Performing 3P+K during stun can make the opponent panic since they also have to worry about being combo'ed off of 4 potential hit levels (yes Christie can launch off of lows). 3P+K~T & 3P+K~K is a solid mix-up during critical stun threshold.

66K & 66P are the only attacks you can connect after 3P+K~T in open space. Don't worry about "guaranteed follow-ups", 3P+K~T is much more dangerous as a reset tool. Try doing 3P+K~T then another 3P+K~T and see how the opponent reacts. It becomes a huge mindfuck to them. If you think they'll push buttons, do 3P+K~PP, 3P+K~P+K or 66PP~ for instance.

"Backing off and letting them make mistakes" implies the use of the free-step block backstep (look off of a recent YT vid I did on Movement to see what it is) to effectively turtle and bait the opponent into making a mistake that you can capitalize on. Kwiggle does it a lot to his opponents as opposed to all out aggression. 214P is indeed a strong tool to use against whiffs, but you have to space it right.

MomijiMania

2H+K~T is one of the most useless moves in Christie's arsenal. No one, and I mean, no one half-decent at DOA5LR gets hit by that throw. Everyone instinctually ducks after getting hit by 2H+K. Just do 2H+K~delay P or 2H+K free cancels. Use 2H+K as a solid hi-crush also.

7P and 9P are both solid high pokes during stun and on an opponent's block. P+K is another solid safe high that grants nice rewards on NH or CH.

The strength of 3P+K shenanigans comes from giving the opponent another thing to worry about during critical stun. What you can do is run up the stun threshold to Critical Level 3 ("Red Stun"), then perform either 3P+K~T, 3P+K~K or 3P+K~PP/3P+K~P+K near a wall. Performing 3P+K during stun can make the opponent panic since they also have to worry about being combo'ed off of 4 potential hit levels (yes Christie can launch off of lows). 3P+K~T & 3P+K~K is a solid mix-up during critical stun threshold.

66K & 66P are the only attacks you can connect after 3P+K~T in open space. Don't worry about "guaranteed follow-ups", 3P+K~T is much more dangerous as a reset tool. Try doing 3P+K~T then another 3P+K~T and see how the opponent reacts. It becomes a huge mindfuck to them. If you think they'll push buttons, do 3P+K~PP, 3P+K~P+K or 66PP~ for instance.

"Backing off and letting them make mistakes" implies the use of the free-step block backstep (look off of a recent YT vid I did on Movement to see what it is) to effectively turtle and bait the opponent into making a mistake that you can capitalize on. Kwiggle does it a lot to his opponents as opposed to all out aggression. 214P is indeed a strong tool to use against whiffs, but you have to space it right.
Gratitude,big bro.
I will add P+K into the probe attack list.
3P+K in 3rd threshod ,got it. 7P and during stun p/4k are also good entrances for 3P+K I suppose.
And I love mindfucks.
Thank you for explaining the backing off strategy.
Ready to do an exercise of the aboves tonight (`・д・´)

Lulu

At first I thought it was a glitch..... but it turns out Christie actually juggle immediately after a knockdown..

My queation is.... how ? :eek:

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD