Official Dead or Alive Xtreme Thread

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Add Lisa, This game is severely lacking the best girl. Plus she'd add diversity to the cast of the game considering people are having a problem with all the new characters getting added looking/feeling the same.
Even with Lisa getting added it still lacks any diversity. They should’ve added more ethnic girls to the cast.

hardseppo

[Eng] Nyotengu Gravure Panel (Dark Prison SSR) with lotions

[Eng]-DoAX-Venus-Vacation-Nyotengu-Gravure-Panel-(Dark-Prison-SSR)-with-lotions.jpg

otnesse

Add Lisa, This game is severely lacking the best girl. Plus she'd add diversity to the cast of the game considering people are having a problem with all the new characters getting added looking/feeling the same.
Not to mention since she clearly was in DOA6 despite her being the lowest ranked girl in that poll, it's very obvious the so-called "popularity poll" meant nothing (otherwise, Shimbori would have just had her die in the ending of DOA5 and rationalize callously that, since she's low ranked in the polls, why bother keeping her alive. You know, similar to how Beast Wars: Transformers killed off Terrorsaur and Scorponok).

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Not to mention since she clearly was in DOA6 despite her being the lowest ranked girl in that poll, it's very obvious the so-called "popularity poll" meant nothing (otherwise, Shimbori would have just had her die in the ending of DOA5 and rationalize callously that, since she's low ranked in the polls, why bother keeping her alive. You know, similar to how Beast Wars: Transformers killed off Terrorsaur and Scorponok).
The poll isn’t even relevant because it was used for DOAX3, a non canon series. DOA6 is the canon series for dead or alive and Lisa plays a pretty big part in the overall plot for a non ninja character. Obviously they would’ve added her to 6.

otnesse

The poll isn’t even relevant because it was used for DOAX3, a non canon series. DOA6 is the canon series for dead or alive and Lisa plays a pretty big part in the overall plot for a non ninja character. Obviously they would’ve added her to 6.
1. The Xtreme series is in fact canon (let's not forget, Lisa DEBUTED in the first Xtreme game. And aside from that, Niki debuted in DOAXBV, and played a role in Zack's ending in DOA4 which led directly to DOAX2, and heck, even had a cameo in DOA5. If the DOAX series isn't canon, then neither is Lisa, period, same goes for Niki. It's that simple. After all, Chris Jenner played an important role in Metal Gear Ghost Babel. Last I checked, she never got ANY appearances outside Ghost Babel precisely because it's a non-canon game.). And yes, it ultimately WAS relevant as well, by virtue of being Dead or Alive related.

2. Yeah, and Terrorsaur played a big role as the Starscream for Megatron and Scorponok played the role of second-in-command to him in Beast Wars (both of which are pretty important roles to the story). That never stopped them from just offing them just because they didn't sell well or have good reception (while Waspinator who actually IS a minor character in the grand scheme of things and more of a gag character due to being blasted to bits and surviving every time was spared largely BECAUSE of his popularity, which ironically enough was caused in large part BECAUSE of his being the guy who gets blown to bits as a running gag.).

Oh, and just as an FYI, there's already a lot of ethnic characters in the cast. Marie Rose is Swedish, Hitomi's part German, Helena's French, and Luna, Fiona, and Monica are explicitly non-Japanese (Fiona and Monica in particular being most likely Western Europe and Eastern Europe, respectively, while Luna based on her remark about hailing from a cold, impoverished country that grows roasted sweet potatoes as food could come from one of the Soviet states or even Mongolia). What you're alluding to is race, which I'll admit is true they'd need to add more, but on the other hand, DOAXVV is limited to Japan and Asia only thanks largely to SJWs.

Last edited:

Onryoki

Standard Donor
DOAX isn’t canon. Lisa was introduced in the X games, but she actually debuted in DOA4. If DOAX was canon then they would’ve hinted at the DOAX series and the events that happened in the x series. Niki is a NPC, she isn’t even relevant to DOA’s storyline.

otnesse

DOAX isn’t canon. Lisa was introduced in the X games, but she actually debuted in DOA4. If DOAX was canon then they would’ve hinted at the DOAX series and the events that happened in the x series. Niki is a NPC, she isn’t even relevant to DOA’s storyline.
They actually did allude to the Xtreme series in the main games, twice even: In DOA3, Zack's ending resulted in DOAX. And in DOA4, aside from Zack's ending foreshadowing DOAX2 (this was even confirmed in an interview with one of the developers), Kasumi's ending featured the Gemstone Reef Suite from Xtreme 2.

And if she's introduced in DOAX, she debuts in it, plain and simple. Debuting in an entry is the exact same thing as being introduced in it.

otnesse

Just because she’s in X doesn’t mean that’s canon. The character can be canon without those events being so. There’s no law saying otherwise.

Well, no laws by government, but definitely unwritten rules at least. And no, a character debuting in a game CANNOT be canon if the events of a game they debuted in weren't canon. Last I checked, Chris Jenner was not canonical to the Metal Gear series, precisely BECAUSE she debuted in a non-canon Metal Gear game. Same goes for Venus and Teliko in Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, who debuted in the Ac!d games (they were literally Easter Egg characters, and if anything were treated like space aliens in their recruitment mission). Even with Broly in the Dragon Ball franchise, probably the closest one got to a character being canon without the events of their debut being so, they had to extensively rewrite his character in very major ways (eg, unlike originally, he doesn't even have a pathological hatred of Goku, not to mention actually loves his father and was a very decent man rather than a PTSD-riddled psychopath) specifically to make sure he was canon without making his debuting movies canon. And either way, even if we ignore Lisa and Niki debuting in DOAX as proof that it's canon, Kasumi's ending taking place in Gemstone Reef from Xtreme 2 most certainly proves it is canon, same goes with Zack's ending foreshadowing Xtreme 2.

You guys can't have it both ways. Either everything tied to the Xtreme series, Lisa and Niki included, are canon, or absolutely none of them are. Those are the only two options available.

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

This is a pretty silly discussion.

Lisa is canon regardless of whether or not the Xtreme games are canon because she debuted in the main series back in doa4 and is in doa5 and doa6 also. She's actively a part of the main series and therefore is canon regardless.

...with that said though I actually feel that at the very least elements/parts of the Xtreme series are canon. It's even mentioned in doa6.

otnesse

This is a pretty silly discussion.

Lisa is canon regardless of whether or not the Xtreme games are canon because she debuted in the main series back in doa4 and is in doa5 and doa6 also. She's actively a part of the main series and therefore is canon regardless.

...with that said though I actually feel that at the very least elements/parts of the Xtreme series are canon. It's even mentioned in doa6.

Yeah, I still doubt it, since non-canon games simply cannot have their characters become canon, not with really extensive rewrites anyway. I'd know that from Dragon Ball and Metal Gear and the like. And that's not even counting retcons.

Still, we can at least agree that the Xtreme series is most likely canon, especially if DOA6 mentions them.

otnesse

Isn't Venus Vacation a spin-off game of a spin-off series thus making it very uncanon.
Being a spinoff doesn't automatically mean non-canon, believe it or not. There are actually a few spinoffs that are fully canon to the main series. Like for example the Mega Man Xtreme series for Mega Man X. Not to mention Code Veronica and/or Resident Evil 3: Nemesis for Resident Evil (it's unclear which is the true spinoff, as Code Veronica was marketed as a spinoff, yet the writers intended Nemesis to be a spinoff), to say little about the Outbreak subseries or Dead Aim (heck, Revelation even). And let's not forget Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, which was a spin-off yet was explicitly canon due to both MGS4 and Peace Walker referencing that game.

And I'm pretty sure DOAXVV still qualifies as canon, especially considering it directly references a few things as well (namely, one of Fiona's episodes has Kokoro referencing the time she left for New Zack Island without her mom's permission in Xtreme 2. Not to mention Zack was given a couple of indirect references in the main episodes.).

Juihau

Well, no laws by government, but definitely unwritten rules at least. And no, a character debuting in a game CANNOT be canon if the events of a game they debuted in weren't canon. Last I checked, Chris Jenner was not canonical to the Metal Gear series, precisely BECAUSE she debuted in a non-canon Metal Gear game. Same goes for Venus and Teliko in Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, who debuted in the Ac!d games (they were literally Easter Egg characters, and if anything were treated like space aliens in their recruitment mission). Even with Broly in the Dragon Ball franchise, probably the closest one got to a character being canon without the events of their debut being so, they had to extensively rewrite his character in very major ways (eg, unlike originally, he doesn't even have a pathological hatred of Goku, not to mention actually loves his father and was a very decent man rather than a PTSD-riddled psychopath) specifically to make sure he was canon without making his debuting movies canon. And either way, even if we ignore Lisa and Niki debuting in DOAX as proof that it's canon, Kasumi's ending taking place in Gemstone Reef from Xtreme 2 most certainly proves it is canon, same goes with Zack's ending foreshadowing Xtreme 2.

You guys can't have it both ways. Either everything tied to the Xtreme series, Lisa and Niki included, are canon, or absolutely none of them are. Those are the only two options available.
There are plenty of examples throughout media of a character debuting in a non-canon work and subsequently being incorporated into the main canon.

Harley Quinn originated in the Batman animated series, but has since become a major recurring character in all Batman media, including the comics. Senran Kagura's Ayame was originally exclusive to a gacha spinoff, before making cameos in the main games as a shopkeeper, and eventually becoming an official part of the main cast. It's not an uncommon thing.

There are also examples of characters being intended to be canon from the start, but making their first appearance in non-canon material. Pokemon, in particular, loves doing this, debuting new Pokemon from the next generation in the anime before the next gen games come out. One notable example is that Mega Charizard X debuted in Pokemon Origins, before its existence was even revealed to the public. This specific phenomenon is pretty much in-line with how Lisa was introduced, as well.

Then there are times when a character appears in a non-canon capacity in a canon entry before their proper introduction. Uzume is a dlc character in Neptunia Re;Birth 1, 2, and 3, despite the fact her canon debut wasn't until the sequel to 3, VII. The games themselves are canon (well, arguably in the case of 1, but 2 and 3 definitely are), but Uzume's presence within those games absolutely isn't. This also makes a nice parallel with the 5U/LR characters.

Basically, a canon character's first appearance and a character's first canon appearance are two different things.

otnesse

There are plenty of examples throughout media of a character debuting in a non-canon work and subsequently being incorporated into the main canon.

Harley Quinn originated in the Batman animated series, but has since become a major recurring character in all Batman media, including the comics. Senran Kagura's Ayame was originally exclusive to a gacha spinoff, before making cameos in the main games as a shopkeeper, and eventually becoming an official part of the main cast. It's not an uncommon thing.

There are also examples of characters being intended to be canon from the start, but making their first appearance in non-canon material. Pokemon, in particular, loves doing this, debuting new Pokemon from the next generation in the anime before the next gen games come out. One notable example is that Mega Charizard X debuted in Pokemon Origins, before its existence was even revealed to the public. This specific phenomenon is pretty much in-line with how Lisa was introduced, as well.

Then there are times when a character appears in a non-canon capacity in a canon entry before their proper introduction. Uzume is a dlc character in Neptunia Re;Birth 1, 2, and 3, despite the fact her canon debut wasn't until the sequel to 3, VII. The games themselves are canon (well, arguably in the case of 1, but 2 and 3 definitely are), but Uzume's presence within those games absolutely isn't. This also makes a nice parallel with the 5U/LR characters.

Basically, a canon character's first appearance and a character's first canon appearance are two different things.

Yeah, except in the case of Harley Quinn, similar to Broly in Dragon Ball Super, they had to rewrite her character somewhat for her to count as canon (for example, they made her a bit more nuts in the canon comics than in the DCAU, gave her an extensive makeover that made her look more like Cruella DeVil in a Loli outfit, and more importantly made sure to make clear that she did indeed earn her degree in psychology, whereas in the DCAU, especially the tie-in comics, they implied that she essentially cheated in the course via sexual favors).

And the Pokémon anime, as much as I REALLY hate having to use this term, was largely meant to market the games (mostly in later generations where they for some reason don't deviate from the games even when it makes more logical sense to do so, but even the early seasons were essentially meant to promote the games), hence why they generally give teasers to then-upcoming Pokémon (and that especially includes Ho-Oh, which practically confirmed there were indeed going to be sequels to RGB). And I really wouldn't consider Mega Charizard X's debut to even be remotely the same as Lisa's debut, especially considering that there was really little indication there was even going to be a DOA4, unlike with Pokémon Origins which, aside from it being a retelling of the games, also was meant to market upcoming games.

And quite frankly, I fail to see how the 5U/LR characters qualify as non-canon at all, their debuts or otherwise. While I'm still pretty irritated that they failed to give them story DLC, they still debuted in a fairly canon capacity. If they weren't canon, they weren't canon. It's as simple as that. I mean, did Chris Jenner become canon despite Metal Gear Ghost Babel being non-canon?

Either way, regardless of whether Lisa and Niki prove or disprove DOAX's canonicity (and quite frankly, I'm pretty sure they do prove it. No other reason to have them appear, especially regarding the characterizations given there match up. I know if I were Itagaki and I wanted DOAX to be non-canon, I sure as heck would not allow Lisa or Niki to appear at all, specifically to AVOID giving any hint to canonicity. Yes, I guess you could say I'm a bit totalitarian in terms of canonicity.), Kasumi's ending in DOA4 most certainly does confirm DOAX's canonicity (it literally makes no sense otherwise to have her wake up in Gemstone Reef Suite from DOAX2 in her ending, especially when DOAX2 wasn't even officially announced yet), to say little about Zack's ending in DOAX2. And that's not even getting into how, if Jadeinchains is to be believed, DOA6 actually references DOAX at one point. And let's not forget, Dead or Alive Paradise is pretty much the reason we even have DOA games right now, so that if anything is ANOTHER reason to consider them canon.

otnesse

Got Luna. However, since I got her during a Rival's Event and thus need to make sure I get a high rank (not to mention use the opportunity to significantly level Luna up to at least Level 50), I'm probably going to wait on giving her victory/point win quotes and her lose/point loss quotes (especially considering I just got my Windows updated and things have been swapped around, including the Game Bar).

hardseppo

[Eng] Honoka Gravure Panel (Wonderland SSR) with lotions

[Eng]-DoAX-Venus-Vacation-Honoka-Gravure-Panel-(Wonderland-SSR)-with-lotions.jpg

Monica Character Episode 01 (Royal Flush SSR)

DoAX-Venus-Vacation-Monica-Character-Episode-01-(Royal-Flush-SSR).jpg

Marie-Rose Gravure Panel (Shinobi Master Swimsuit Ryobi SSR) with lotions

DoAX-Venus-Vacation-Marie-Rose-Gravure-Panel-(Shinobi-Master-Swimsuit-Ryobi-SSR)-with-lotions.jpg

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Lisa is canon regardless of whether or not the Xtreme games are canon...

Lisa is not canon is going to be the new Lisa is dead meme. XD

giphy.gif

In regards to that poll:
The poll results don't say anything about the popularity of characters of the actual DOA fighting game series. The poll was made for and by DOAX fans, which are just a fraction of the overall DOA franchise playerbase, and they obviously voted for their favorite waifus and not fighters.

otnesse

Lisa is not canon is going to be the new Lisa is dead meme. XD

giphy.gif

In regards to that poll:
The poll results don't say anything about the popularity of characters of the actual DOA fighting game series. The poll was made for and by DOAX fans, which are just a fraction of the overall DOA franchise playerbase, and they obviously voted for their favorite waifus and not fighters.

Maybe not, but if we go by the corporate mind, they would easily interpret that as being part of the DOA fanbase as well and reflect that on the actual fighting games. I know if I were a corporate guy and I saw the results of the poll, not to mention used the line of thinking they did, I would have translated it to the actual fighting games and made sure they were cut there as well. Don't forget what happened to 2D animation in Disney after Winnie the Pooh bombed at the box office. They cut it, despite the fact that it only failed because they stupidly timed the release to be at the same time as Deathly Hallows Part 2. And besides, last I checked, the DOAX games until DOAX3 added in all the girls without mandating cuts, on inferior systems as well.

And quite frankly, Lisa IS canon, as is the DOAX games.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD