DOA5U Official Tier List

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Matt Ponton has updated the "Official Tier List" for Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate. It probably won't change much with Last Round on the way, but what do you think about the placings, and did your favorite make it to the top, or did your main plummet down a few tiers?

S - Christie (+31)
A - Gen Fu (+21), Ayane (+16), Kasumi (+13)
B - Helena (+11), Leifang (+10), Hayate (+9), Pai (+9), Momiji (+6), Lisa (+5), Leon, (+3), Hayabusa (+2), Sarah (+2), Rig (+1), Akira (±0) Jacky (±0)
C - Alpha 152 (-1), Mila (-1), Zack (-2), Marie Rose (-3), Bayman (-4), Hitomi (-5), Jann Lee (-5), Rachel (-5), Tina (-5), Phase 4 (-8), Bass (-11), Ein (-11)
D - Kokoro (-15), Nyotengu (-15), Brad (-17)
E - Eliot (-28)

Official Spreadsheet | Official Discussion

Last edited:

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
So let me get this straight. I did main the lowest tier character (Eliot), then I switched to another low tier character (Brad Wong), but my sub is a high tier character (Ayane). Lol, I have interesting tastes when it comes to choosing characters I like to play.

Zeo

Christie isn't better than Gen, Ein's not better than Kokoro, Akira's not nearly that low, Lisa, Leon and Rig especially aren't better than him, Hitomi's not that low, Nyotengu's probably not that low, she's too new to make that assumption even if she is a slow mid weight. Pretty sure Alpha's not that low either.

Still, this list will be irrelevant in a couple of months anyways. So it's not like it matters.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Christie isn't better than Gen

Against each member of the cast, Gen Fu has 22 advantaged match-ups. Christie has 23, with 8 matches being a greater advantage than Gen Fu has on any advantaged match-up. Christie vs Gen Fu is an even match-up.

So yes, Christie may not be "better" than Gen Fu, but she has more advantageous match-ups than Gen Fu. So she is a character who has a better default chance of winning against any member of the cast than Gen Fu does.

Matt Ponton has released the "Official Tier List" for Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate.

'Released' isn't really the word. The chart has always been available to see to anyone. There's still many players who have not provided their input on the chart. So the chart could change today, tomorrow, next month, or whenever.

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Yeah, this isn't an "official" anything, it is still very incomplete. This really didn't need to be categorized as news when it isn't finished yet.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
'Released' isn't really the word. The chart has always been available to see to anyone. There's still many players who have not provided their input on the chart. So the chart could change today, tomorrow, next month, or whenever.

I agree. I've changed the word to *updated*.

Yeah, this isn't an "official" anything, it is still very incomplete. This really didn't need to be categorized as news when it isn't finished yet.

I think official means more on the lines of this is currently the tier list you want to evaluate, whilst contributing to its future.

That doesn't imply she's the best character, it implies the player improved and simply played better.

You're right. That was a bold remark and I shouldn't have said that.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
The list starts out decent, then it kinda degrades as it goes down. By and large it's not bad, but quite a few placements just as Hitomi or Pai seem considerably off. Look forward to when the list gains more accurate MU data.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Eliot is not the worse character in the game. I don't what or why people say that, but he is not the worst.
Unless Team Ninja gives Eliot some buffs, he isn't very viable unless somebody doesn't know how the MU works. If his position were to change, he might get bumped up to D tier at best, but he's definitely not mid tier or above.

crapoZK

Standard Donor
Agree on Zack's part, but imo, Zack vs. Sarah is a 5-5 MU. And Ryu is also 5-5 imo. Will look into it later, but I think that Zack vs. Helena is 6-4 Helena's favour.

Unless Team Ninja gives Eliot some buffs, he isn't very viable unless somebody doesn't know how the MU works. If his position were to change, he might get bumped up to D tier at best, but he's definitely not mid tier or above.
I liked how he played in DOA4, with his immense stun game and fast end of threshold. I can't really say much, but I feel like Eliot was better in DOA4, than in DOA5/U.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor

Every character in this game is viable. There are no characters in DOA5U that aren't viable. What I constantly see are Eliot mains wanting to play a heavy offensive momentum based style (just like how I see most Ayane players online try to influence that heavy "rushdown" style that doesn't work for the character) when it's a style not exactly suited for a character like him.

Eliot, like some other characters, requires good reads and to control his strike range and not always allowing the opponent to step into his strike range. He is a character of patience and loses if you aren't patient.

If he hits you, then he has very long strings to mix up with in threshold and obviously any can be free cancelled to further mix up. A throw that gives him +10, a 7P with reset and "Get off me" capability and BT mix ups and that's only the beginning.

No, I don't think he's high tier, however he's certainly not the worse character either. That belongs to Phase 4.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD