Lorenzo Buti

This has got to be the worst choice that Team NINJA has ever ruined within DOA, having to remove Mai Shiranui from Dead or Alive 5: Last Round is absolutely ridiculous. She would've been kept within the game much like the Virtua Fighters who were already in the Character Roster. Sure I know Mai Shiranui is now in Dead or Alive 6 alongside with Kula Diamond, but I miss playing as her more in Dead or Alive 5 since she was first introduced to many players at the time. Now I want her back in the game for good!

So please help sign this petition for Team NINJA and Koei Tecmo to respond!

inochinagi

Standard Donor
Licenses run out. It sucks, but that's inevitably what happens.

This makes it even worse that Koei Temco never eventually released complete version of DOA5 with all the DLC. That's would easily have solved the problem, not to mention would have made them a lot more money and increased the game's longevity.

I can still buy a used version of Soul Calibur IV and be able to play as a Star Wars character, but I can't buy a DOA5 for the first time today and play as Mai. So weird.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
You can make a petition but it's not gonna happen unfortunately, the game's license to have her as DLC is done for, plus she's been out since 2016, that's been 5 years which is more than enough time to have bought her. If you know someone who can tho, maybe you can just have them gameshare the content with you

Lorenzo Buti

You can make a petition but it's not gonna happen unfortunately, the game's license to have her as DLC is done for, plus she's been out since 2016, that's been 5 years which is more than enough time to have bought her. If you know someone who can tho, maybe you can just have them gameshare the content with you
I’m not saying I would want her back as a DLC, I’m saying she would’ve return but only as she’s within the game’s Character Roster likewise the Virtua Fighters, which meant she’s free.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I’m not saying I would want her back as a DLC, I’m saying she would’ve return but only as she’s within the game’s Character Roster likewise the Virtua Fighters, which meant she’s free.
That isn't possible either, the VFs had a different agreement that keeps them in the game no matter what since they're in the base roster by default, Mai isn't because she was a guest a year after the game debuted.

And there's not much they can do at this point since the game isnt receiving any support anymore, plus she's in 6 anyway, there's really no point making a change to LR when they could do something instead for DOA6

Lorenzo Buti

That isn't possible either, the VFs had a different agreement that keeps them in the game no matter what since they're in the base roster by default, Mai isn't because she was a guest a year after the game debuted.

And there's not much they can do at this point since the game isnt receiving any support anymore, plus she's in 6 anyway, there's really no point making a change to LR when they could do something instead for DOA6
Dead or Alive 6 was already the weakest fighting game in the entry back when Dead or Alive 5 did so much better with their updates and improvements, and still to this day Dead or Alive 5: Last Round includes a higher number of rosters unlike the previous games or that DOA6 which only had about 31 Fighters.

There’s absolutely nothing they ever tried with Dead or Alive 6 and it had a backlash on the recycled DLC and plus it was a dickmove to remove Mai Shiranui from DOA5LR. I mean if it’s not broken, DON’T REMOVE IT!

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Dead or Alive 6 was already the weakest fighting game in the entry back when Dead or Alive 5 did so much better with their updates and improvements, and still to this day Dead or Alive 5: Last Round includes a higher number of rosters unlike the previous games or that DOA6 which only had about 31 Fighters.

There’s absolutely nothing they ever tried with Dead or Alive 6 and it had a backlash on the recycled DLC and plus it was a dickmove to remove Mai Shiranui from DOA5LR. I mean if it’s not broken, DON’T REMOVE IT!
No matter what tho 6 is the most recent entry, they're not going to up and put Mai in again when she's been up for 5 years to download. And again they didn't remove, that's the misinformation you're spreading. She's still in the game but because her license expired she's not available for purchase. There is gameshare tho but again she's been up for a long time, its too late

Lorenzo Buti

No matter what tho 6 is the most recent entry, they're not going to up and put Mai in again when she's been up for 5 years to download. And again they didn't remove, that's the misinformation you're spreading. She's still in the game but because her license expired she's not available for purchase. There is gameshare tho but again she's been up for a long time, its too late
You don’t ever see a license from the Virtua Fighters getting expired in Dead or Alive 5, that’s still a pointless removal that the developers could never have done on Mai Shiranui. You see how Soul Calibur games still kept some of their guest fighters throughout their library? That’s also because Dead or Alive 4 started the guest fighter approach and that was Spartan-458 who was like a Halo character, they never removed her.

That’s also when Dead or Alive 5 manage to get down on several guest fighters likewise Naotora Ii still intact within the game since she was in Samurai Warriors owned by Koei Tecmo, she was never removed. My biggest concern these days would be now that only one iconic fighter was excluded and that Mai Shiranui would’ve had the playability still be kept within the game can have that as a more remarkable choice.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
It's not that it's a pointless removal, in the current case it's basically asking TN to pay royalties to put her back up in a previous game that isn't getting profit like that anymore to cover that cost.

So say if you brought her back in DOA5LR, you bought her and you are like "Thanks TN!", but TN will be like "Yeah but only 45 people bought her, that's not going to cover for how much we payed to put her back in the store just for you, we lost money just for -you-". VFs honestly were pretty lucky because those characters were expensive, so having them on the base default game is literally the best alternative to having 3-4 VFs. Imagine if they were DLCs? the costs of having them return would be a nightmare deal that's way more expensive than Mai.

If DOA had thousands and thousands of players on Smash Bros. level, they probably would of extended that deal or kept it in the game for as long as you'd like. Granted that it is possible to bring her back in the store (Check Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 where support for the game was done and then 4 years later they put the licensing DLC characters back up). It's just that there has to be an incentive for TN to put it back up in the first place. Saying "I miss playing her more back in DOA5" is just not a good reason in TN eyes because it's business at the end of the day unfortunately. Her activation key is still on PSN, you just don't have the option to purchase her because having it up in the first place is making them pay for the contract again.

Also I think it's about that time that we stop using Petition sites lol. Those generally don't work for video game industries. It's why people voice their concerns on Twitter and FB rather than a signed petition because it's not official petitions, it's just fan made ones.

Last edited:

Lorenzo Buti

It's not that it's a pointless removal, in the current case it's basically asking TN to pay royalties to put her back up in a previous game that isn't getting profit like that anymore to cover that cost.

So say if you brought her back in DOA5LR, you bought her and you are like "Thanks TN!", but TN will be like "Yeah but only 45 people bought her, that's not going to cover for how much we payed to put her back in the store just for you, we lost money just for -you-". VFs honestly were pretty lucky because those characters were expensive, so having them on the base default game is literally the best alternative to having 3-4 VFs. Imagine if they were DLCs? the costs of having them return would be a nightmare deal that's way more expensive than Mai.

If DOA had thousands and thousands of players on Smash Bros. level, they probably would of extended that deal or kept it in the game for as long as you'd like. Granted that it is possible to bring her back in the store (Check Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 where support for the game was done and then 4 years later they put the licensing DLC characters back up). It's just that there has to be an incentive for TN to put it back up in the first place. Saying "I miss playing her more back in DOA5" is just not a good reason in TN eyes because it's business at the end of the day unfortunately. Her activation key is still on PSN, you just don't have the option to purchase her because having it up in the first place is making them pay for the contract again.

Also I think it's about that time that we stop using Petition sites lol. Those generally don't work for video game industries. It's why people voice their concerns on Twitter and FB rather than a signed petition because it's not official petitions, it's just fan made ones.
Basically I’m the only one still fully supporting Dead or Alive 5: Last Round since they ended the DLC run back in late 2017, I still refuse to play Dead or Alive 6 after a trainwreck of support that game had to go through. And still to this day I’ve seen modders that had to upload Costume Mods which they direct it to Dead or Alive 5: Last Round.

The game may be old, but it’s definitely worth the playability and especially how you didn’t even need to purchase an in-game Costume with Micro-transactions. That was Team NINJA’s biggest misstep, they’re trying to compare their games with Street Fighter V and Tekken. Dead or Alive 5: Last Round has you unlocking in-game Costumes that are completely free, nothing you can buy with micro-transactions.

There is just no absolute way people can enjoy the abominable Dead or Alive 6 fighting game without thinking of going back to Dead or Alive 5: Last Round because of that game’s lack of DOA past content, it all goes to show that their duplicate recycled DLCs wouldn’t be necessary to satisfy fighting gamers. It’s like they would never mention that Mai Shiranui was only a timed DLC fighter without ever knowing she would be within the game like the Virtua Fighters.

This has always been deceiving everyone and myself and still to this day, I will always keep enjoying Dead or Alive 5: Last Round even if it means for such a Roster the game had to offer us. I’d rather wait for Mai Shiranui to hopefully make a return of playability without having to pay her as DLC.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Basically I’m the only one still fully supporting Dead or Alive 5: Last Round since they ended the DLC run back in late 2017, I still refuse to play Dead or Alive 6 after a trainwreck of support that game had to go through. And still to this day I’ve seen modders that had to upload Costume Mods which they direct it to Dead or Alive 5: Last Round.

Unfortunately that is the case yes. DOA5LR activity is mostly a heavy den for modders now which is unofficial support. Both games are no longer being fully officially supported, and I severely doubt TN would pull a Marvel Ultimate Alliance to bring back DLC years later for a previous game, especially for a fighting game like DOA when the games being played is less then 100 people, it's not enough to cover that cost and not worth the risk. Only alternative is to play what you enjoy or move on.

The game may be old, but it’s definitely worth the playability and especially how you didn’t even need to purchase an in-game Costume with Micro-transactions. That was Team NINJA’s biggest misstep, they’re trying to compare their games with Street Fighter V and Tekken. Dead or Alive 5: Last Round has you unlocking in-game Costumes that are completely free, nothing you can buy with micro-transactions.

I think it's still worth the playability, but hey there is only so much you can do. If you enjoy DOA5LR, then absolutely keep playing it. It's not something I would commit to anymore as much as I enjoyed 5 years back.

This has always been deceiving everyone and myself and still to this day, I will always keep enjoying Dead or Alive 5: Last Round even if it means for such a Roster the game had to offer us. I’d rather wait for Mai Shiranui to hopefully make a return of playability without having to pay her as DLC.

Hey, more power to you ahaha.

On the issue with Mai, she's a 3rd party character so the likelihood of her returning without having to pay is zero chance. Her being charged again makes sense compared to Nyotengu/Phase-4 (and possibly Rachel and Momiji I guess), asking for free means TN might as well not include the character at all. You need money to obtain the rights to the character, TN would lose than gain at that point. But hey, enjoy what you want to play.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor

There is just no absolute way people can enjoy the abominable Dead or Alive 6 fighting game without thinking of going back to Dead or Alive 5: Last Round because of that game’s lack of DOA past content, it all goes to show that their duplicate recycled DLCs wouldn’t be necessary to satisfy fighting gamers. It’s like they would never mention that Mai Shiranui was only a timed DLC fighter without ever knowing she would be within the game like the Virtua Fighters.

It's not a surprise tho that they're using their 5LR mods, 6 iirc is a harder game to mod and why make new DOA6 mods if your LR mods hold up since that's basically what they do with LR DLC to 6, I don't think that's odd since that what other games do when they get new eras.

inochinagi

Standard Donor
Again, if Koei Tecmo was smarter, they would have eventually released a complete edition with all the DLC. That's the only way to keep licensed content (in this case, Mai) from an IP that belongs to another publisher without having to worry about it getting removed for anyone new to the game after the license has run out. That's why we can still play as VF characters, because they're on the discs, they're part of the base game before DLC. I'm glad I'm one of the people who got Mai in DOA5LR, but only for the PS version, which I don't play anymore. I missed out on her on Xbox which is where I mainly play now, not to mention some DLC costumes I really liked. I wish there was something we could do, but there isn't. A petition isn't going to work.

Seriously, KT could have waited until they felt the game was old and dying, and they were just about ready to start working on a new entry from scratch, then release a complete edition. It's easy money, because you would hardly have to add anything more to the game, and it would satisfy anyone who was holding out on buying the game (even with the risk of missing out on the online scene) because they didn't want to have to deal with all the DLC, and I know there's quite a bit of people like that out there (not to mention all the fans who did buy DLC but would still buy a complete version anyways, like me). There had to be a point where their DLC wasn't selling anymore, so the smart thing to do is heavily discount old content and make whatever you can off of it.

Unfortunately it seems they wanted to rush DOA6 out after DOA5LR was barely even considered old yet. There's only one reason why they wouldn't put out a complete edition and that's because they were blinded by greed, preferring any newcomers to the game or holdouts on the DLC to eventually cave and pay the original price, if they even believed or cared that there could be people who want to still play DOA5LR after DOA6's release.

And there's no way they're gonna go back to look at what they can do with DOA5, even if that's the smart thing to do, because they don't even put the game or any of its DLC on sale anymore. That's how much they're neglecting/ignoring it. When we get Capcom sales or Fighting Game sales or Japan-developed or Anime Games sales, you always see Street Fighter 4 and 5 or a bunch of BlazBlue or GG or even DOA6 part of it, but never DOA5LR or its DLC (at least not on Xbox, not sure about PC/PS these days).

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD