Team Ninja shares additional details on the next Dead or Alive 5 patch

Team Ninja.jpg

While a solid roll out date still hasn't been nailed down for the next upcoming Dead or Alive 5 patch, director Yohei Shimbori was kind enough to share a few tweets on some additional features that we'll see, noting that the next patch will be a major update.

One of the cool additions Shimbori mentioned is that we'll be seeing the popular demand to save replays of lobby matches, along with the ability to now kick unwanted players from your lobby as well.

Here are the additional patch details from Shimbori:

[D-YS] I was able to check some stuff about the next patch this week, so I'll tweet a little bit about it.

[D-YS] First off, you will now be able to save replays of lobby matches.

[D-YS] A lot of people were asking for that feature, so we worked hard to put it in.

[D-YS] Also, the host of a lobby match will now be able to kick a waiting player out of a lobby, even while they're watching a match.

[D-YS] Also, you'll be able to search for lobbies by connection quality.

[D-YS] There are lots of other improvements and additions too. The next patch is going to be a major update.

[D-YS] I'll fill you in on more details as soon as I can confirm them myself (including the patch release date...)

Update for December 29th
[D-YS] The next patch is named "Ver.1.03". The name might be boring, but it has a lot of new features.

[D-YS] One of those features is uploading movies of replays.

[D-YS] I tested it by uploading a movie to YouTube.

[D-YS] Ver.1.03 will allow uploads to both YouTube and Facebook.

[D-YS] Facebook uploads are available to both Xbox 360 and PS3. YouTube uploads can only be performed from a PS3.

[D-YS] So now, even people without video capture equipment can upload fight videos.

[D-YS] Fighters from around the world can now watch others' fights.

[D-YS] And did you catch some of the little tweaks to the fighting game itself?

[D-YS] Now that we have this feature, maybe I'll upload another movie soon...

Update for January 10th
[D-YS] Happy new year!

[D-YS] I'm starting the year off with another upload of Ver.1.03 footage. This time to YouTube. #DOA5

[D-YS] This time, we have La Mariposa vs. Hayate, and I'm sure you'll notice changes in this fight too. #DOA5

[D-YS] We haven't practiced the new moves enough to use them well, but... #DOA5

[D-YS] I'm sure all of you will show us what these moves can do! (video uploads ftw) #DOA5

[D-YS] There are lots of new features in Ver.1.03 for all players, not just hard-core fans. We'll post the full list of changes soon! #DOA5

Update for January 17th

Ver.1.03 Update Details.

Release Dates:

PS3: January 22nd, 2013

Xbox 360: January 29th, 2013

http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/us/patch/0116a.html

http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/us/patch/0116b.html

It's interesting that Zack's taunt is now an attack... if they're willing to make such big changes I hope they gave Alpha some teleports, either neutral or lying down

Here's some of the changes I picked up from the video.

How much frame advantage received after a NH wake up kick; i don't know, nor how unsafe it is on block. But it's definitely been nerfed.

0:08 - Rig’s 1p animation has slightly changed. While still being i20, his body moves further back allowing it to evade highs and possibly slow mids. Overall a better high crush, although I’d prefer it to be faster. Also still tracks
0:12 – Rig has a new attack, which is a CB from his Bending stance. Definitely add’s more excitement to the character, and mix up opportunity. Like his p+k from neutral stance it is also i20.
0:23 – Rig now has an i10 jab, whereas before it was i11. Which is reasonable and something I agree on considering he’s supposed to be a “striking” type character.
0:53 – the mid wake up kick no longer stuns on NH on Ends of The Earth stage. Instead it gives a pushback, with some frame advantage
1:02 – Rigs Bending stance 6F+K will now launches on CH instead of when stun threshold is reached.
1:09 – Zack’s taunt beam is now an actual attack. Possibly can be blocked since it doesn’t register as and unblockable. Highly unsafe since it doesn’t knock, only stuns. Opponent can still SE and punish. Wouldn’t recommend using.
1:25 – Zack’s 2kkkk hyper kicks (what I call them) do not stun on ends of the Earth on NH anymore.

0:08 - Rig’s 1p animation has slightly changed. While still being i20, his body moves further back allowing it to evade highs and possibly slow mids. Overall a better high crush, although I’d prefer it to be faster. Also still tracks
0:12 – Rig has a new attack, which is a CB from his Bending stance. Definitely add’s more excitement to the character, and mix up opportunity. Like his p+k from neutral stance it is also i20.
0:23 – Rig now has an i10 jab, whereas before it was i11. Which is reasonable and something I agree on considering he’s supposed to be a “striking” type character.
0:53 – the mid wake up kick no longer stuns on NH on Ends of The Earth stage. Instead it gives a pushback, with some frame advantage
1:02 – Rigs Bending stance 6F+K will now launches on CH instead of when stun threshold is reached.
1:09 – Zack’s taunt beam is now an actual attack. Possibly can be blocked since it doesn’t register as and unblockable. Highly unsafe since it doesn’t knock, only stuns. Opponent can still SE and punish. Wouldn’t recommend using.
1:25 – Zack’s 2kkkk hyper kicks (what I call them) do not stun on ends of the Earth on NH anymore.

Wake up kicks nerfed. Good.

Rig buffed...Wasn't he one of the best characters already? I'm all for buffs instead of nerfs, but I hope the rest of the characters get buffed too...

Wake up kicks nerfed. Good.

Rig buffed...Wasn't he one of the best characters already? I'm all for buffs instead of nerfs, but I hope the rest of the characters get buffed too...

Yeah, all the characters should get buffs.
And Rig was the worst character for Japanese, apparently.

I hope they will buff Helena a lot.

Looking back at the Rig vs. Zack video ..

It seems that the floor danger zone property of the Ends of the Earth stage were was removed altogether!

Correct me if I'm wrong (Not in London right now .. no access to the game), but it seems that all low attacks behave the same as they would in a regular stage.

I know this makes a lot of people happy. To me it just turns Ends of the Earth into a dull stage with no modification to the actual fighting.. Meh

I wonder if they kept the Water Danger Zone property...

And if slip stuns in both water and ice stages still function... (like Akira's 3P+K)

Sure. As soon as her NH low stuns are all removed.
All of her NH low stuns are easily slow escaped so they really aren't that big of a deal. But yeah lets nerf a character who is nothing but constant guess work and who can't guarantee anything at all whilst leaving the top tier's who can land 3 hit CB's with sit down stuns taking over 60% health.

Sit down stuns should be universally useful, having characters that can throw out single hit stuns that guarantee CB and then having characters with only end of string stuns that have to hit raw to work guaranteeing nothing is stupid.

The reason balance in this game looks like shit is because only certain characters have access to DOA5 tools, Jann, Lei, Kokoro, Fu and Ayane can almost completely avoid the counter system while other characters are only able to stun and hope the opponent guesses wrong.

You gotta get over this Helena hate. Since her pseudo force tech's have become known her performance in tournaments has already dropped drastically. It seems like other players can deal with her just fine so why can't you?

All of her NH low stuns are easily slow escaped so they really aren't that big of a deal. But yeah lets nerf a character who is nothing but constant guess work and who can't guarantee anything at all whilst leaving the top tier's who can land 3 hit CB's with sit down stuns taking over 60% health.

Incorrect.

Sure. As soon as her NH low stuns are all removed.

The one from BKO can be a little hard to see, but it can be spaced. At max range it's not an issue. 2H+K is i24 so you can definitely train yourself to see it and block/counter on reaction.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Helena is not some top tier beast that many of you think she is. Block those two lows and she cannot open you up. Just because people don't like to block against her doesn't mean she's top tier.

Mamba wins with her because he's a good player. The other Helena players win because no one has bothered doing their homework (or at least those players haven't had to show their skill yet).

Incorrect.
I can do it so there is no reason you can't. Even 2K from BKO at point blank range doesn't guarantee anything and that's assuming any Helena player is going to have enough frame advantage to use a move that slow when they are close enough to get poked out of it by any basic mid punch.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Helena is not some top tier beast that many of you think she is. Block those two lows and she cannot open you up. Just because people don't like to block against her doesn't mean she's top tier.
When I watched that tournament that made Rikuto extremely salty I honestly thought to myself watching the Helena play maybe she is pretty ridiculous. Then I realised that every time the force tech happened the opponent just shut down and blocked in fear. There were many opportunities to get out of it but they didn't even try. They simply played it as safe as possible.

If people took to the lab they would realise it's no where near as bad as it was made to look in those matches it was simply lack of knowledge that made people hesitant to try any other than just blocking.

Looking back at the Rig vs. Zack video ..

It seems that the floor danger zone property of the Ends of the Earth stage were was removed altogether!

Correct me if I'm wrong (Not in London right now .. no access to the game), but it seems that all low attacks behave the same as they would in a regular stage.

I know this makes a lot of people happy. To me it just turns Ends of the Earth into a dull stage with no modification to the actual fighting.. Meh

I wonder if they kept the Water Danger Zone property...

And if slip stuns in both water and ice stages still function... (like Akira's 3P+K)

Ya, Zack's low kicks don't stun at all.

I can do it so there is no reason you can't. Even 2K from BKO at point blank range doesn't guarantee anything and that's assuming any Helena player is going to have enough frame advantage to use a move that slow when they are close enough to get poked out of it by any basic mid punch.

You can SE BKO 2K enough to avoid a follow-up, but you can't SE 2H+K enough. Although if you SE you just open yourself up to a BKO throw. The key is to block/hold the attack so you don't have to SE.

You can SE BKO 2K enough to avoid a follow-up, but you can't SE 2H+K enough. Although if you SE you just open yourself up to a BKO throw. The key is to block/hold the attack so you don't have to SE.
True, I don't see what the problem is though. She has very slow low attacks that stun on NH and don't guarantee a follow up attack just enough frame advantage to open up a guessing game. How is this a bad thing for some people?

It not like they are impossible to react to, the only one I struggle to react to is 2F+K but it's about the same speed or slower than most lows that stun on NH, Jann Lee's 1K for instance.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD