Team Ninja shares additional details on the next Dead or Alive 5 patch

Team Ninja.jpg

While a solid roll out date still hasn't been nailed down for the next upcoming Dead or Alive 5 patch, director Yohei Shimbori was kind enough to share a few tweets on some additional features that we'll see, noting that the next patch will be a major update.

One of the cool additions Shimbori mentioned is that we'll be seeing the popular demand to save replays of lobby matches, along with the ability to now kick unwanted players from your lobby as well.

Here are the additional patch details from Shimbori:

[D-YS] I was able to check some stuff about the next patch this week, so I'll tweet a little bit about it.

[D-YS] First off, you will now be able to save replays of lobby matches.

[D-YS] A lot of people were asking for that feature, so we worked hard to put it in.

[D-YS] Also, the host of a lobby match will now be able to kick a waiting player out of a lobby, even while they're watching a match.

[D-YS] Also, you'll be able to search for lobbies by connection quality.

[D-YS] There are lots of other improvements and additions too. The next patch is going to be a major update.

[D-YS] I'll fill you in on more details as soon as I can confirm them myself (including the patch release date...)

Update for December 29th
[D-YS] The next patch is named "Ver.1.03". The name might be boring, but it has a lot of new features.

[D-YS] One of those features is uploading movies of replays.

[D-YS] I tested it by uploading a movie to YouTube.

[D-YS] Ver.1.03 will allow uploads to both YouTube and Facebook.

[D-YS] Facebook uploads are available to both Xbox 360 and PS3. YouTube uploads can only be performed from a PS3.

[D-YS] So now, even people without video capture equipment can upload fight videos.

[D-YS] Fighters from around the world can now watch others' fights.

[D-YS] And did you catch some of the little tweaks to the fighting game itself?

[D-YS] Now that we have this feature, maybe I'll upload another movie soon...

Update for January 10th
[D-YS] Happy new year!

[D-YS] I'm starting the year off with another upload of Ver.1.03 footage. This time to YouTube. #DOA5

[D-YS] This time, we have La Mariposa vs. Hayate, and I'm sure you'll notice changes in this fight too. #DOA5

[D-YS] We haven't practiced the new moves enough to use them well, but... #DOA5

[D-YS] I'm sure all of you will show us what these moves can do! (video uploads ftw) #DOA5

[D-YS] There are lots of new features in Ver.1.03 for all players, not just hard-core fans. We'll post the full list of changes soon! #DOA5

Update for January 17th

Ver.1.03 Update Details.

Release Dates:

PS3: January 22nd, 2013

Xbox 360: January 29th, 2013

http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/us/patch/0116a.html

http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/us/patch/0116b.html

I've done my home work and I'm not going to get into another Helena argument here. Besides I'm all for giving the girl buffs, but deep NH low stuns (or worse, launchers) are a stupid way to construct any character's offense in a fighting game.

Take them away now? And yea, she's probably worse than trash, even with the force tech. I would rather she had better frames in general, better damage in general, and less stun every time she sneezes. On CH all of that crap is fine.

You can SE BKO 2K enough to avoid a follow-up, but you can't SE 2H+K enough. Although if you SE you just open yourself up to a BKO throw. The key is to guess fast and guess often and pray you don't get raped.

This is pretty much how I perceive what you just said, and why I find it undesirable to even exist. There are better ways to buff a character.

True, I don't see what the problem is though. She has very slow low attacks that stun on NH and don't guarantee a follow up attack just enough frame advantage to open up a guessing game. How is this a bad thing for some people?

It not like they are impossible to react to, the only one I struggle to react to is 2F+K but it's about the same speed or slower than most lows that stun on NH, Jann Lee's 1K for instance.

Jann Lee's 1K is 3 frames faster but can be SE'd down to 7 frames, which guarantees nothing. Even if you get hit by it though, since it doesn't really do anything, you can pretty much shrug it off and focus on the next mixup, which will probably either be a mid or a dragon gunner depending on the range.

Ya, Zack's low kicks don't stun at all.
it wasn't just zack's 2KKKKKs

you can notice that the effect of his 2P wasn't different from a non-slippery stage as well

also the same for Rig's 1KK ...

I think they eliminated the slippery effect in the stage altogether ..

the only reason rigs 1P stunned at the beginning of the match was because Zack was in BT state.

I wonder if water got effected as well (doubt it tho).

I can do it so there is no reason you can't. Even 2K from BKO at point blank range doesn't guarantee anything and that's assuming any Helena player is going to have enough frame advantage to use a move that slow when they are close enough to get poked out of it by any basic mid punch.

You sir are lying through your teeth. None of her low NH stuns can be SE'd (and for the record BKO 2k is not a damn stun, its a trip.)

2h+k at fastest slow escape leaves her at +15. 6p from BKO is 12 frames. BKO 6kk with fastest slow escape set leaves her at fucking +22...BKO 6k is 16 frames. BKO 4p is 14 frames, BKO p+k is 19 frames....You are FORCED to hold every single time she hits you with a low NH stun and she can loop all this stuff into her pseudo force tech game. Her ability to put that kind of pressure you far outweighs her lack of speed/safe strings.

it wasn't just zack's 2KKKKKs

you can notice that the effect of his 2P wasn't different from a non-slippery stage as well

also the same for Rig's 1KK ...

I think they eliminated the slippery effect in the stage altogether ..

the only reason rigs 1P stunned at the beginning of the match was because Zack was in BT state.

I wonder if water got effected as well (doubt it tho).

2p has never given any type of stun on slippery stages, but yes Rig's 2k and Zack's 1k not stunning gives the idea that they are looking to remove the slippery effect from that stage, which I'm 100% fine with as long as its only that stage.

2p has never given any type of stun on slippery stages, but yes Rig's 2k and Zack's 1k not stunning gives the idea that they are looking to remove the slippery effect from that stage, which I'm 100% fine with as long as its only that stage.

Even if it didn't stun. Zack's 2P, as with any other low strike in a slippery stage, would give you a bit more frame advantage than what happened in the match.(unfortunately I can't do a comparison since I'm not in London for the next few days)

But, yeah I think the slippery effect is gone from EOTE.

Lets hope Water wasn't affected as well.

This is pretty much how I perceive what you just said, and why I find it undesirable to even exist. There are better ways to buff a character.

I completely agree that lows should not stun on NH. I'd be very happy if every single low attack in the game (under i25) was negative on NH. Unfortunately, that isn't the case and I don't see it changing.

Dealing with what we have, I don't think Helena's lows are that hard to deal with. With proper practice, you can see 2H+K. I don't get that practice because I have no local scene and online is garbage, but that's another problem. Now... the fact that it crushes highs almost instantly is a problem, but so do half of her other attacks.

Just give Helena Pai's frame data (but plus frames on BKO and BT transitions) and no lows that stun on NH and call it a day. But that's not going to happen.

I completely agree that lows should not stun on NH. I'd be very happy if every single low attack in the game (under i25) was negative on NH. Unfortunately, that isn't the case and I don't see it changing.
Why should a slow low be negative on hit? I don't think any attack should be negative when it lands. If you want to reduce the stun these lows grant that's different.

i25 isn't exactly fast and a lot of lows like Helena's 8PP2P are I think -5 on hit so she would have mix ups that leave her in BKO where she would be at say -5 so landing a mix up would result in her getting punished.

No attack should be negative on hit, make them +10 instead or +25 maybe? Sure but making lows negative on hit just encourages people to standing block and not care about mix ups.

Why should a slow low be negative on hit? I don't think any attack should be negative when it lands. If you want to reduce the stun these lows grant that's different.

i25 isn't exactly fast and a lot of lows like Helena's 8PP2P are I think -5 on hit so she would have mix ups that leave her in BKO where she would be at say -5 so landing a mix up would result in her getting punished.

No attack should be negative on hit, make them +10 instead or +25 maybe? Sure but making lows negative on hit just encourages people to standing block and not care about mix ups.

The mixup doesn't come from hitting someone with a moderately fast low. Anyone with half a brain can do that. The mixup comes when you hit them CH because you forced them to make a bad decision and now you can punish them for it.

Look at Soul Calibur, most of the lows in that game are negative on hit. It means you don't get a free mixup just because you can press down and a button.

When I play online against Helena, the ONLY reason I have a ton of trouble with her (despite the frame data adjusting lag) is because her lows stun on NH. My defense is null and void because of this. I can completely out play and out think my opponent and it doesn't matter because they hit that one low and I'm done.

I'm of the opinion that low attacks should never stun on NH. Staggers and trips are one thing but lows stunning on NH is dumb.

I'm of the opinion that low attacks should never stun on NH. Staggers and trips are one thing but lows stunning on NH is dumb.
That is fine but why should they be negative on hit? After landing a hit you are forced to block because it leaves you at -5, how does that reward the attacker?

When I play online against Helena, the ONLY reason I have a ton of trouble with her (despite the frame data adjusting lag) is because her lows stun on NH. My defense is null and void because of this. I can completely out play and out think my opponent and it doesn't matter because they hit that one low and I'm done.
Your defence is null and void because you failed to react to her in string mix ups, all of which can be reacted to offline. The only alternative is that her lows only stun on CH meaning you can block her 9P2K standing and when the low hit lands she gets left at -5 so you get rewarded for just standing and blocking and taking the hit.

If you can outplay and out think you opponent then why is a slow highly telegraphed low a problem? You can't nerf it because it is harder to deal with online.

If you want to reduce the stun on some lows then that is fine but making all lows negative on hit even when they are slow enough to react to is dumb. It will take even more power from the attacker and DOA already gives the defensive player enough ammo with the use of counters.

I'm wondering if I am understanding you correctly as you usually make more sense to me than this.

He just said "online." Why the hell would you write that much bullshit if you're not even going to read his post?

Personal insults have no place here. I said that you wrote a lot of bullshit, not that you were a "fucking idiot" or anything similar. People have differing opinions and some of us swear quite a bit. Doesn't mean we're attacking you. Slow your roll.
He just said "online." Why the hell would you write that much bullshit if you're not even going to read his post?
I did read his post, I said you can't expect things to be nerfed based on online.

So having mix up is bullshit yes? Okay lets make all lows negative on hit that way there is no mix up when people choose to simply hold the guard button. Seeing how everything I wrote is bullshit. Fucking idiot.

That is fine but why should they be negative on hit? After landing a hit you are forced to block because it leaves you at -5, how does that reward the attacker?

I never said it had to be negative on hit. That's just asinine. What I said is I think its stupid that a low stuns on NH. I don't think any low attack should ever stun on NH. The game is stun heavy enough as is, we don't need lows getting them on NH.

Your defence is null and void because you failed to react to her in string mix ups, all of which can be reacted to offline. The only alternative is that her lows only stun on CH meaning you can block her 9P2K standing and when the low hit lands she gets left at -5 so you get rewarded for just standing and blocking and taking the hit.

If you can outplay and out think you opponent then why is a slow highly telegraphed low a problem? You can't nerf it because it is harder to deal with online.

If you want to reduce the stun on some lows then that is fine but making all lows negative on hit even when they are slow enough to react to is dumb. It will take even more power from the attacker and DOA already gives the defensive player enough ammo with the use of counters.

I'm wondering if I am understanding you correctly as you usually make more sense to me than this.

No, it is not based on online, I simply used online as an example. As I said in my post, if the low is fast enough to react to (I used i25 as an example), then I don't care what it does. If you can't react to it, it should be negative on hit.

There's enough guessing in this game as it is. I should not have to guess that you're going to do a low that's going to give you enough advantage to start your offense. If you opt to use that fast low, it should come at a price. That price is that you do not get to continue your offense. Although even at -5 you could still step or use a crush attack.

Again, I look at Soul Calibur. The lows in that game are negative on normal hit with a few exceptions. People still use those negative on hit lows, but they become a poking tool to annoy the opponent. Not something to start your offense with.

If you're skilled enough to land a counter-hit, then you deserve a stun or some sort of advantage. And it's not about nerfing Helena, I'm talking about all low attacks. If you nerfed Helena like that, she'd need a buff some other way.

I will say the PFT isn't as dumb as it appears to be... SS attacking beats most of her striking options as well as blocking, striking directly after teching up allows you to beat her BKO throw, and the low tracking low sweep only resets for the most part...

It's just, not as great as I thought.

2H+K is a baller move, it's 23i so I mean yea it's not the easiest move to react to but it's possible to fight against. It requires you to delay the SS if you want to SS it right after the PFT

Honestly though, I'd rather argue about Leifang's dumbass wall game and OH business than Helena at this point. I'd rather argue about character exclusive OH's than Helena at this point, but then again...

...I'd rather not be arguing.

So other than you peeps bickering like old people. I personally think they should release at least exhibition mode + netcode fix before IPL or close to it anyways, cause I personally don't think the dlc / "more stages" (If we get any) are of most importance atm... The buffing / nerfing etc, I can wait on. But I think those two things should come out before anything.

So other than you peeps bickering like old people. I personally think they should release at least exhibition mode + netcode fix before IPL or close to it anyways, cause I personally don't think the dlc / "more stages" (If we get any) are of most importance atm... The buffing / nerfing etc, I can wait on. But I think those two things should come out before anything.

I agree. I mean, if online is so laggy that it's a completely different experience to offline, wouldn't it make sense to fix the netcode first? That way they would be balancing the same game (or as close as it's going to be) whenever they patch. However, I honestly think TN just care about offline tourneys and DLC at this point.

And like, does CyberEvil just get away with everything?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD