Team NINJA Social Media Updates for DOA6

Jyu_Viole_Grace

Is this really a realistic scenario? I can only speak for myself, but I have never based my decision to play a game on the game's community, especially not up front. The community is something I only discover after I get hooked and start to invest more time in the game. For me, cheaters or rage quitters are much more of a motivation killer than rants in internet forums...

I'm talking about competitive level. This year DOA 6 has its world tour but ... will be Koei willing to do another one next year looking at this game sales and recepton?. If it isn't the case, DOA 6 will need more players to keep being played in more than a few tournaments.

Trying to get friendly with other small communities has been a way to do this for small niche games for a long time. You know, I play your game, you play mine and that way the community can grow slowly.

Yes, humor generally comes at the expense of something/someone. But things can be criticized, and funny enough, there are certain implicit elements that are connotatively linked to the jokes, but that's part of what makes the jokes funny. If you're catching onto the themes, it's kinda supporting the rhetorical angle that the selection process employed is rather transparent and unsatisfyingly superficial. Which again, is the "point" of the jokes as well as the source of their humor.

As for "humor can be applied to everything," sure it can, but I don't have to make fun of everything to make fun of anything. I'll leave the jokes that I don't think of or that I don't think of as funny to others. It's not like anyone's joke policing (except maybe you) saying "You can joke about those things but not these other things!" If you can't take jokes (with some rhetoric attached), you're not going to survive long in any community.

We can take this as just satire but there is a thin line between satire and hate and when it becomes too often then it's when I think there's more to it than just humor.

I mean, it isn't against the rules and these characters aren't real so hating them is not even something bad per se but that can repel people if it's recursive theme.

The DOA community wants more players, sure. But that doesn't mean we'll eagerly accept anything so long as it nets more players. For example, what if KT did a crossover event with Fortnite where you could unlock exclusive costumes, stages and characters in DOA6 by playing Fortnite? That would almost assuredly bring in some new players. Would it be worth it? Maybe to a few, but I'm not obligated to support it by default for that reason alone.

As for cross-community bias, I think Nico is a miserable little shit that should be purged from existence (my sentiments towards Diego are not much kinder, for the record). But the Japanese like lolis and pseudo-lolis and what they like is gonna trump what I like any day (at least where KT is concerned). I'm perfectly within my rights to say that, and in my experience, my disgruntled opinions won't drive away the handful of people that can actually tolerate playing this game currently. So am I going to hold my tongue for another blue-haired loli that will probably look and play like shit* just because she's a guest character? No.

*"How do you know that when she hasn't even been officially revealed yet and you haven't played her?"
Well, historically I don't believe any of DOA's guest characters have ever been positive additions due to awkward integration in a system they clearly weren't designed around (except Akira in a bizarre, offbeat way), and aside from that, none of DOA's wholly-new characters have been impressive since Rig, which I believe to be a result of poor gameplay design philosophy and lazy animation quality.

Sure, that's my subjective opinion, but I'm allowed to express it, and frankly my predictions are rarely wrong, whether they're addressing objective features or merely my subjective take on forthcoming content. Time and time again I predict how things will turn out and people tell me that I'm just being negative and cynical. Then the thing drops, and sometimes they whine about it more than I ever did. There's a long, documented history of it here on this very site.

Well, I think one thing is not being excited for a character or not liking it and another thing is not accepting it. Maybe it's because English isn't my native language but when I read this, maybe you are referring that you would rather prefer only having Mai as a guest character than having her and Kula?.

If a character is so openly unwelcomed to a game then playing that character can be seen as a stigma.

So, from my perspective, this would qualify as a joke. A loli can bring excitement, but there's simply no evidence to suggest that this one would. Especially in place of 90% of other options they could have gone with, all of which could be argued to bring excitement in the same or equal volume. The SCVI example is just pointless.

At this point I would say she won't bring excitement due the amount of complaints (here and outside) but my point was giving the character a chance and not judging her only under the "loli" umbrella.

It will be really hard to integrate her gameplay (even something like her Maximum Impact moveset) in DOA but if they happen to do it, that can bring players that until now didn't find that play style in DOA. After all Mai just was another rushdown character in DOA 5.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Kasumi was really the only one with sakura effects in some of her moves before.
DOA seems to bring new flashy characters with special power lately : Honoka, Phase 4, Naotora, Momiji, NiCO. Now Kula and Mai.

I would love to have a revamped Genra with his vajra stance and fireballs now.
You forgot Raidou, he literally has a red aura.
I think there's more to it than just humor because then we could take all mocks to DOA just as humor as well. Humor can be applied to everything but that doesn't seem to be the case when it is only applied to the same characters.

Not long ago people were asking why other communities don't play DOA. Will people come to DOA to earn money?, most likely not, they will earn more money with SNK games. Maybe to try their characters in another game? maybe they could make friends and that's a way to keep playing a franchise but if they just find out their character is strongly unwelcomed by almost the entire community that's unlikely.

Also, I thought DOA was about the fighting, why a loli can't bring excitement? she can bring a play style that's lacking in DOA in comparison with SC VI for example.

Noctis reception wasn't so universally criticized. I mean, yes, there was a lot complaints about him due Tekken community being huge in comparison but there was also a lot people happy or even interested in his gameplay.
People aren’t really complaining because they hate Kula. Most people on here are complaining because they wanted a male character instead of another young girl with colourful hair. When we look at TN’s latest characters (including the ones of VV), we see that almost all of them are little girls with the exception of Nagisa and Tamaki. This already shows the direction TN’s is going in with their choice of characters and character designs. After constantly seeing little girls getting added to DOA titles people are getting fed up with it. All people want is some more versatility in terms of characters. People wouldn’t have been as mad if NiCO was older and more mature in her appearance. But the fact she’s just another little girl, makes her receive backlash. The person that goes over the character design at TN needs to be fired for constantly adding these anime archetypes.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor

People aren’t really complaining because they hate Kula. Most people on here are complaining because they wanted a male character instead of another young girl with colourful hair. When we look at TN’s latest characters (including the ones of VV), we see that almost all of them are little girls with the exception of Nagisa and Tamaki. This already shows the direction TN’s is going in with their choice of characters and character designs. After constantly seeing little girls getting added to DOA titles people are getting fed up with it. All people want is some more versatility in terms of characters. People wouldn’t have been as mad if NiCO was older and more mature in her appearance. But the fact she’s just another little girl, makes her receive backlash. The person that goes over the character design at TN needs to be fired for constantly adding these anime archetypes.
Like we're getting this shit:
a768908f783f81d4989ba529556befd4.gif

I'm a little salty lol I probably will be for a while.
ash-12s.gif
vknvl.gif
Kdashkofxiii.gif
Elisabethkofxii.gif
ralf.gif
Clark_sprite.gif
robert_01.gif
Ryo_sprite.gif
maxima-kof13-stance.gif

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
Tfw no K', Ryo, Ralf or Clark...

...can’t they just ditch Mai and Kula and let the two characters be Ralf and Clark? Bringing them together makes more sense lmao I just want them to be pals with Bayman and Leon
Leon and Clark come sauntering into frame tightening their gloves with smug grins like "You're just not ready." as a tag team assuming the same fighting stance, and the camera pans to Bayman and Ralf who are squatted stretching out their shoulders and knees like "Well I guess we'll just have to learn the hard way."

Jyu_Viole_Grace

I get people want more male characters and I also wanted Kyo, K' or Rock because outside a few male characters Team Ninja just tend to go the "hypermuscular" stereotype with male characters (I only like Hayate/Ein, Gen Fu, Brad and Eliot. Also Ryu but he is his own franchise) but I think people tend to over exaggerate about lolis and DOA.

If we sum Mai and Kula to the current DOA6 roster:

Guys are the 39% of DOA6 roster.

"busty girls" are the 46% of the roster.

"lolis" are the 14% of the roster.

Here I'm even taking Honoka as loli, just to raise the percentage. Lolis are really really far from taking DOA roster leadership so I think people is just over exaggerating a lot just because guys aren't the 50% or more of the roster.

I think there's nothing wrong with a franchise having more female characters than male characters.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
I get people want more male characters and I also wanted Kyo, K' or Rock because outside a few male characters Team Ninja just tend to go the "hypermuscular" stereotype with male characters (I only like Hayate/Ein, Gen Fu, Brad and Eliot. Also Ryu but he is his own franchise) but I think people tend to over exaggerate about lolis and DOA.

If we sum Mai and Kula to the current DOA6 roster:

Guys are the 39% of DOA6 roster.

"busty girls" are the 46% of the roster.

"lolis" are the 14% of the roster.

Here I'm even taking Honoka as loli, just to raise the percentage. Lolis are really really far from taking DOA roster leadership so I think people is just over exaggerating a lot just because guys aren't the 50% or more of the roster.

I think there's nothing wrong with a franchise having more female characters than male characters.
I thought I already explained that people do often count the VV girls as well.

Jyu_Viole_Grace

I thought I already explained that people do often count the VV girls as well.

That's like counting story NPCs, has nothing to do with playable characters for the main franchise.

Whatever they add in Xtreme isn't related to DOA 6 unless someday they bring these characters, which is just speculation.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I think people tend to over exaggerate about lolis and DOA.

I will say that I do agree with you on the previous post regarding DOA needing to grow, and the usual best alternative is to spread DOA to other FG relations while trying to bypass the stigma behind it. Recruiting new people to the fighting game genre in general is a lot harder than recruiting people who are already familiar with fighting games that are already playing other fighters. DOA is far too niche+cliche to grow on it's own and there are multiple reasons for that.

The thing with Kula is that I do also believe there are better characters from SNK's department that fit the bill that can do the game a lot more justice, despite how popular Kula is because I get it, the character is definitely one where it's typical from TN to pick from. There are bad guests and there are most certainly good guests, but I always went with the ones that makes the game of their entry feel authentic with the type of characters they introduced, mostly main characters or characters of similar range in terms of consistency from the titles they came from. Particularly Terry / Kyo / Mai / Iori / Geese / Yuri / Benimaru.

Not saying Kula is an awful decision, but it does get tiring getting characters to cater to a certain demographic and not include her entry as a whole or as a true solid representative to the series. People picked Kyo and Terry for example, but their entry feels more authentic to include either one of them which would make sense on why people would pick them. They hold a lot of weight behind the Fatal Fury/KOF franchise, sure they obviously won't sell as well as Kula because "lmao dudes", but in terms for the bang and consistency they are missing out. Some of the ones people picked on the posts might even be better than her entry realistically.

Last edited:

Jyu_Viole_Grace

I will say that I do agree with you on the previous post regarding DOA needing to grow, and the usual best alternative is to spread DOA to other FG relations while trying to bypass the stigma behind it. Recruiting new people to the fighting game genre in general is a lot harder than recruiting people who are already familiar with fighting games that are already playing other fighters. DOA is far too niche+cliche to grow on it's own and there are multiple reasons for that.

The thing with Kula is that I do also believe there are better characters from SNK's department that fit the bill that can do the game a lot more justice, despite how popular Kula is because I get it, the character is definitely one where it's typical from TN to pick from. There are bad guests and there are most certainly good guests, but I always went with the ones that makes the game of their entry feel authentic with the type of characters they introduced, mostly main characters or characters of similar range in terms of consistency from the titles they came from. Particularly Terry / Kyo / Mai / Iori / Geese / Yuri / Benimaru. Not saying Kula is an awful decision, but it does get tiring getting characters to cater to a certain demographic and not include her entry as a whole or as a true solid representative to the series. People picked Kyo and Terry for example, but their entry feels more authentic to include either one of them which would make sense on why people would pick them. They hold a lot of weight behind the Fatal Fury/KOF franchise, sure they obviously won't sell as well as Kula because "lmao dudes", but in terms for the bang and consistency they are missing out. Some of the ones people picked on the posts might even be better than her entry realistically.
I agree with this.

It's totally fine not liking the character they (I don't think it was 100% TN choice because SNK characters appears in other games) choosed for DOA 6. My point was not trashing her so hard solely because she isn't a male character or a "busty girl".

Why did SNK/TN choose Kula?, well, looking at other games, characters collaborations don't tend to be repeated among franchises so I guess with this kind of collaborations there's some kind of implicit exclusivity.

DOA 6 have been the last game in being released but we don't know when TN and Koei started talking about this collaboration. Maybe since DOA5LR Mai collaboration?, who knows.

Tekken is the boss here so if someone had to pick first, Tekken was the choosen one and they picked Geese. Terry, Iori and Rock are also in other games so that only leave us Kyo as a big and popular male character within KOF XIV (let's not forget this collaboration is with KOF XIV and not with previous games).

I wanted Kyo, he has a lot in common with Kasumi since both of they are main characters and he also has a legion of clones but ... Kyo isn't that popular lately, like Kasumi in DOA and not other games cared to pick him so ... that leaves us a second female character.

We have Mai, that didn't appear as guest character in any other FG. They could have choosed Athena which originally was the KOF main girl but like with Kyo she isn't that popular anymore and Mai is the KOF girl since years ago. They could have go for Angel, I like her and she has ... a lot potential for costumes but I guess that Kula being more popular than her was a safe bet both for SNK and TN.

Last edited:

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
Not saying Kula is an awful decision
I am lol
I've been on the "Let's see how they do we should be patient" train for too long. This is an incredibly uninspired selection on their part but it's about as predictable as ham and cheese you're right. We gave up Leon, Ein, Rachel, and Momiji for these guest character slots and one of them is a legit freaking lemon.

I'm fine with Mai returning (Not fine having to pay for her again, but w/e KT) but Kula? If you wanted same vein as Marie/NiCO you had Yuri, or Athena, or you could have double dipped and gone for Nakoruru for the Samsho&KOF Loli Ninja Girl Rep (Who would have fit the bill even better than anyone else in the LOLLAWWWL MARIE NICO category). They went with Kula because she fits in with NiCO and Marie and that sect of fans in J-town like her and KT thinks that's the winning lottery ticket for DLC sales.

I know your post is agreeing with me here but I'm just charged about this. It's asinine. Why would you not pair Mai with Terry/Kyo or one of the more important females. =/

They don't get a pass from me here or a "Yeah makes sense".

Jyu_Viole_Grace

I am lol
I've been on the "Let's see how they do we should be patient" train for too long. This is an incredibly uninspired selection on their part but it's about as predictable as ham and cheese you're right. We gave up Leon, Ein, Rachel, and Momiji for these guest character slots and one of them is a legit freaking lemon.

I'm fine with Mai returning (Not fine having to pay for her again, but w/e KT) but Kula? If you wanted same vein as Marie/NiCO you had Yuri, or Athena, or you could have double dipped and gone for Nakoruru for the Samsho&KOF Loli Ninja Girl Rep (Who would have fit the bill even better than anyone else in the LOLLAWWWL MARIE NICO category). They went with Kula because she fits in with NiCO and Marie and that sect of fans in J-town like her and KT thinks that's the winning lottery ticket for DLC sales.

I know your post is agreeing with me here but I'm just charged about this. It's asinine. Why would you not pair Mai with Terry/Kyo or one of the more important females. =/

They don't get a pass from me here or a "Yeah makes sense".

Nakoruru is really popular but she fights with both her sword Chichi Ushi and Shikuru, her mascot. So that would be even harder to implement in DOA gameplay than Kula fighting style (which I think will give they a lot headaches to implement).

Yuri would have been a good pick certainly.

All other male characters that appeared in other FG I don't think were a option since we aren't seeing repeated guest characters among fighting games. I don't think SNK just want to push Terry, Geese and Mai in every single game, they also want to push other characters popularity.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
It’s hard to say dudes don’t sell well when the only dude that was DLC was Raidou.... and he is one of the most unpopular characters in the series. We actually need a guy as DLC to make sure how well a dude would sell. Besides Raidou we had 0 male DLC characters. I don’t count Ein, Jacky and Leon as DLC, because they weren’t separate DLC characters, but a part of an update.

I think a character like Jin and Kazuya from Tekken, Ryu from street fighter or Kiryu from Yakuza would sell pretty well. All 3 of them are very popular and I think would even outsell some of the original characters of DOA. Team ninja and especially Shimbori is really certain that women are the main selling point for DOA. Which is a load of shit to me. It’s hard to say female characters do better, when male characters don’t even get nearly as much attention as female characters. Diego and NiCO are the perfect example of what I just said. NiCO was designed to be popular. She has a good backstory, has a deeper meaning behind her name, has a new nationality, has a flashy and different fighting style, has multiple costumes and plays a huge part in the story. Diego was not designed to be popular. His backstory is meh, he has stereotypical hobbies, has a boring fight style, has awkward animations, his design looks like a 5 minute job, has no deeper meaning behind his name, and is almost invisible in the story. TN clearly puts more effort in the female cast, that’s why they got 5 costumes and the males 2.

Last edited:

Jyu_Viole_Grace

I'm allowed to textually beat my head on the desk when DOA6 gives use NiCO and Ice NiCO with sweet young attitude in the same game.

This is funny because I remember when I saw NiCO playstyle with this costume and this specific color:

I said: she looks like a KOF character. And here we are.

Next stop: NiCO being DOA 6 guest character in KOF XV instead Kasumi.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD