Team NINJA Social Media Updates for DOA6

Jyu_Viole_Grace

Sales wise it's way smaller than DOA 5 back in 2012:

02./00. [PS3] Dead or Alive 5 # <FTG> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.09.27} (¥8.190) - 66.58 NEW
10./00. [360] Dead or Alive 5 # <FTG> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.09.27} (¥8.190) - 14.811 / NEW

But nowadays in Japanese market not even Tekken can achieve these numbers

[PS4] Tekken 7 (Bandai Namco, 06/01/17) – 58,736 (New)

That's why companies started trying to appeal more to western market, fighting games aren't a trend in Japanese market anymore.

DOA 6 numbers aren't stellar but after all the controversy I think it endured it well, probably because the core values situation.

If Koei want to attract more Japanese players they have to launch an Arcade version. I think Shimbori said something about this but I hope they release it before a enhanced version like with DOA5 Ultimate.

Jyu_Viole_Grace

Well, it is less than half the initial sales of DOA5. That's not a good development.

Not even Dragon Ball FighterZ can reach these numbers:

[PS4] Dragon Ball FighterZ (Bandai Namco, 02/01/18) – 68,731 (New)

Console market for fighting games in Japan is really really niche nowadays.

Are these sales numbers physical or digital or both? Also curious how the US sales went.

It's Media Create report, it's only physical.

U_C_A_F

Seems like the game is on track to do worse than DOA5 as far a sales of both vanilla games go. It had a terrible debut in the UK to not even making the top 20. I passed on it simply because its a forgone conclusion there will be a DOA6 Ultimate so not wasting money on an obviously rushed vanilla version.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
Seems like the game is on track to do worse than DOA5 as far a sales of both vanilla games go. It had a terrible debut in the UK to not even making the top 20. I passed on it simply because its a forgone conclusion there will be a DOA6 Ultimate so not wasting money on an obviously rushed vanilla version.
We get it you don't believe in supporting DOA and you're a fairweather fan. There's loads of them. It's nothing to be ashamed of but not really something you should keep smothering in people's faces here on the forum.

human013

The sales are lower than I would like to see but it is not too surprising when a more popular game like SC barely managed to get by. If anime fighters can get by, being as niche as they are, then so can DOA6.

[PS4] BlazBlue: Central Fiction (Arc System Works, 10/06/16) – 20,608 (New)
[PS3] BlazBlue: Central Fiction (Arc System Works, 10/06/16) – 9,674 (New)
[PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2 (Arc System Works, 05/25/17) – 10,609 (New)
[PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator (Arc System Works, 05/26/16) – 17,829 (New)
[PS3] Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign (Arc System Works, 12/04/14) – 27,278 (New)
[PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign (Arc System Works, 12/04/14) – 12,638 (New)
[PS4] Soulcalibur VI (Bandai Namco, 10/18/18) – 24,049 (New)

Now that I see the numbers I'm surprised SC6 didn't even get as much as BBCF.

Edit: Might as well include UNIEST but we all know it wouldn't be much.
[PS4] Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] (Arc System Works, 07/20/17) – 5,013 (New)

Last edited:

Jyu_Viole_Grace

The sales are lower than I would like to see but it is not too surprising when a more popular game like SC barely managed to get by. If anime fighters can get by, being as niche as they are, then so can DOA6.

[PS4] BlazBlue: Central Fiction (Arc System Works, 10/06/16) – 20,608 (New)
[PS3] BlazBlue: Central Fiction (Arc System Works, 10/06/16) – 9,674 (New)
[PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2 (Arc System Works, 05/25/17) – 10,609 (New)
[PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator (Arc System Works, 05/26/16) – 17,829 (New)
[PS3] Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign (Arc System Works, 12/04/14) – 27,278 (New)
[PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign (Arc System Works, 12/04/14) – 12,638 (New)
[PS4] Soulcalibur VI (Bandai Namco, 10/18/18) – 24,049 (New)

Now that I see the numbers I'm surprised SC6 didn't even get as much as BBCF.

Edit: Might as well include UNIEST but we all know it wouldn't be much.
[PS4] Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] (Arc System Works, 07/20/17) – 5,013 (New)

Yep, sales aren't bad at all but not great either.

There are people saying than DOAX3 sold better and it's true but it's also like that because western fans imported it. But overall, fighting games are like this in consoles Japanese market.

People that love fighting games are in Arcades.

Princess Kasumi

I have a Swedish friend on PS4. He told me, the ranked mode is almost a ghost-town already. He is rank C and he mostly gets 1 bar connection.
The game is going to die, if there is not enough of people buying the season pass 1. The real question is, how many of the people on this forum is willing to pay 92.99 USD for a season pass 1?

Yes DOA6 Ultimate will for sure happen and then a Last round to end DOA6.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
The game is going to die, if there is not enough of people buying the season pass 1. The real question is, how many of the people on this forum is willing to pay 92.99 USD for a season pass 1?

Ah I see you're still lost. Has someone not given you a link yet? Here you go. Sorry for the delay! Hope you have a good day. :)

SaihateDYNAMO

The game is going to die
1991.jpg

Xhominid The Demon Within

I have a Swedish friend on PS4. He told me, the ranked mode is almost a ghost-town already. He is rank C and he mostly gets 1 bar connection.

there-it-goes-the-last-fuck-i-give.gif

Can you go back to your Tekken forum or Reddit and leave us the hell alone? Hell, I'm honestly wondering at this point if you aren't Petopia and just acting like an abrasive ass because the mods choose to be more lenient with you.
If you have nothing positive to say, then don't say anything. It's not even constructive criticism at this point, it's just slander for the sake of it. I can even feel that what you are saying is complete bull too.

So make like Paul Phoenix and put yourself through a wall, we are done here.

Yep, sales aren't bad at all but not great either.

There are people saying than DOAX3 sold better and it's true but it's also like that because western fans imported it. But overall, fighting games are like this in consoles Japanese market.

People that love fighting games are in Arcades.

Honestly, I feel it's the overall state of games in Japan in general. Japan is ultimately dying from the fact that most people are migrating to Mobile Games and PC(and to the lesser extent, the Switch) as they legit can't afford consoles anymore for their homes and/or lifestyles.
People point out how much DOA5 was able to do... but remember, DOA5 came out 7 YEARS ago and the entire landscape has changing for gaming on both levels in terms of how much is deemed a success and the reasons why.

We can't call how much DOA6 made is less than DOA5 a failure if you don't put in all the variables on why. Because as shown even Tekken 7 didn't get that close to DOA5's numbers and most of the recent games are around DOA6's numbers which shows a paradigm shift overall for Japanese gamers. This isn't including DLC sales nor Digital sales either which is virtually the cornerstone of all fighting games now(SFV became successful due to it's DLC and the same with SCVI and so on despite bad numbers at launch).

Tina2040_

DOA6 is doing fine considering it has always been perceived as a niche fighter.
And remember, this is the first time it's on PC with online play :tina::tina:
PC gaming is the new black :tina::tina:

human013

I will never stop being entertained at how people's attitude completely change depending on the game. :D

SC6 gets 24,049 and people go "Ah well they didn't have much funding so there is less content, costumes, and characters, but it is still a good game. It has DLC characters because the developers couldn't include them in the base game so we are lucky that they even decided to add them. That sales number also doesn't matter because it's not taking into account other regions etc." Everyone becomes saints and find all faults acceptable or reasonable. DOA6 gets 26,442 and the game is considered dead and the number now is the only thing that matters. All the excuses people used for SC6 suddenly vanishes.

DOA6 should be fine. We are in an era of DLC and patches.

Jyu_Viole_Grace

Honestly, I feel it's the overall state of games in Japan in general. Japan is ultimately dying from the fact that most people are migrating to Mobile Games and PC(and to the lesser extent, the Switch) as they legit can't afford consoles anymore for their homes and/or lifestyles.
People point out how much DOA5 was able to do... but remember, DOA5 came out 7 YEARS ago and the entire landscape has changing for gaming on both levels in terms of how much is deemed a success and the reasons why.

We can't call how much DOA6 made is less than DOA5 a failure if you don't put in all the variables on why. Because as shown even Tekken 7 didn't get that close to DOA5's numbers and most of the recent games are around DOA6's numbers which shows a paradigm shift overall for Japanese gamers. This isn't including DLC sales nor Digital sales either which is virtually the cornerstone of all fighting games now(SFV became successful due to it's DLC and the same with SCVI and so on despite bad numbers at launch).

Depends of which genre as well. jRPGs overall are as healthy as always, for example.

But fighting games ... I think its market started to be more "niche" when the e-sports thing came. Single player content went to a second place and online content was the focus because there is where everyone can fight against each other, so casual players, that don't buy games to master them, started to feel relegated.

Other reason is graphics. Not even Tekken is graphical reference anymore so casual gamers feel less hyped when they look at these games videos.

So unlike years ago, when a lot people bought these games to play Arcade mode several times to unlock multiple characters, costumes and endings, now that same people don't find the same value ... except in games like Smash or Mortal Kombat, where they can find a ton of content that don't require them to be good players to have fun.

I think that is the secret of these two franchises, being games both for casual and dedicated players.

Xhominid The Demon Within

I will never stop being entertained at how people's attitude completely change depending on the game. :D

SC6 gets 24,049 and people go "Ah well they didn't have much funding so there is less content, costumes, and characters, but it is still a good game. It has DLC characters because the developers couldn't include them in the base game so we are lucky that they even decided to add them. That sales number also doesn't matter because it's not taking into account other regions etc." Everyone becomes saints and find all faults acceptable or reasonable. DOA6 gets 26,442 and the game is considered dead and the number now is the only thing that matters. All the excuses people used for SC6 suddenly vanishes.

DOA6 should be fine. We are in an era of DLC and patches.

That's exactly it though. It's just people trying to shit on games without seeing any variables on the reasons why.
We have Youtube videos going on and on about how Dead or Alive 6 is Dead on Arrival... but then what do most of these people expect? They are expecting massive sales from a niche game in an already niche market(and don't give me this MK/SF/TK/DBFZ nonsense, most of those games only sell well for the comparison of fighting games outside of that niche, only MK has any real market value). This is made funnier by the fact that while most reviews are negative or average... but the players outside of lobbies and costume patterns, the game is far better rated.

You can make so many excuses for Soul Calibur VI... but ironically, most people never really made excuses for the game when it was about to be released or it's problems but they did after it got released. People made excuses for SFV to hell and back despite it's problems and so on, people just like to play favoritism.

Depends of which genre as well. jRPGs overall are as healthy as always, for example.

But fighting games ... I think its market started to be more "niche" when the e-sports thing came. Single player content went to a second place and online content was the focus because there is where everyone can fight against each other, so casual players, that don't buy games to master them, started to feel relegated.

Other reason is graphics. Not even Tekken is graphical reference anymore so casual gamers feel less hyped when they look at these games videos.

So unlike years ago, when a lot people bought these games to play Arcade mode several times to unlock multiple characters, costumes and endings, now that same people don't find the same value ... except in games like Smash or Mortal Kombat, where they can find a ton of content that don't require them to be good players to have fun.

I think that is the secret of these two franchises, being games both for casual and dedicated players.

That's why you see fighting games making their gameplay more and more simple. People keep thinking that it's done for some other reason other than the fact that fighting games have always struggle to gain and keep an audience for years. This is just one of many other attempts and people further ignore how much fighting games struggle because they point to MK/SF/Tekken or DBFZ and not realize those are exceptions to the norm, not the norm itself.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD