The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Curious, do you think it's that time for TN to drop their in-house engine for UE5? or nah?

Granted the games generally look good but curious.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
When has that ever been the case?

What I think you are referring to are those fancy "in-engine" target renders that many studios like to release before each gen. Two notable examples being:

or

The first one was never visually reached on current gen consoles, that new Hellblade trailer will imo also not be reached quality-wise this gen. They are in-engine and they are real-time, but they are not actual gameplay but cinematics and they are not actually running on a console but on a PC targeting the visuals they want to reach. They are indeed smoke and mirrors and very misleading.

The new Unreal Engine 5 demo is however a playable gameplay demo recorded on a PS5 dev kit in 30fps and 1440p resolution, already a caveat to reach this visual quality that they are admitting. Unless they are lying to us about other stuff this is indeed possible and we see it there with our own eyes.

Last but not least, the real-time demo Epic showcased before the PS4 released in 2013 was also real-time gameplay (they messed in real-time with the camera) on a PS4 dev kit and it was definitely matched and even surpassed this generation:

I will be giving them the benefit of a doubt for that reason.
Digital Foundry by the way also called BS on that Hellblade demo when they analysed it a couple months ago, but they do not doubt the UE5 demo. They are actually very impressed, but also point out some caveats, which again Epic is already admitting too.
Oh, and those water puddle effects also looked pretty shitty, so another reason I think that's te real deal, lol.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor

Funny you should mention GoT, it's my most anticipated game of the year and it is imo absolutely beautiful. This is one of the games where the art design is a big part of why the game looks so good and less because of 4K resolution and 4K textures.

V2Wtg6S.gif

RuthdxO.gif

BgD6HDV.gif

And they know full well their game looks stunning, that's why they put such a big emphasis on their photo mode and that black and white samurai flick mode.

IGN's youtube channel by the way offers the entire gameplay presentation in 4K, the DF version is not the full presentation:

Chaos

Funny you should mention GoT, it's my most anticipated game of the year and it is imo absolutely beautiful. This is one of the games where the art design is a big part of why the game looks so good and less because of 4K resolution and 4K textures.

V2Wtg6S.gif

RuthdxO.gif

BgD6HDV.gif

And they know full well their game looks stunning, that's why they put such a big emphasis on their photo mode and that black and white samurai flick mode.

IGN's youtube channel by the way offers the entire gameplay presentation in 4K, the DF version is not the full presentation:

Take notes TN (DOA team) and Namco! (Tekken team)

Macca Beam

while it was fun to watch Unity get absolutely destroyed in one video, i'm not exactly hopeful about Nanite's PR stunts. artists are already as terrible at optimization as they are, they don't need to be told that it's ok to drop bloated ass assets straight into the engine.
that dynamic GI was sick though, and the new revenue threshold makes it practically free for indies.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Been pretty excited for it because holy, these look really good lol. There's even rumors of implementing a photo mode of some kind, so everyone can go strong with it.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Rumors? I thought you watched the gameplay presentation? ;)
Skip to 14:45:

Sucker Punch is known for their photo mode. They were the first to offer one on PS4 in Infamous.

Ah! I may have missed that part. My information was like during it's announcement and haven't kept up with it, until now that is from what you mentioned ahaha. Cheers to that.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Some more Ghost of Tsushima love:

sb4dA.gif
ABrxg.gif

Z6hdp.gif
Pr3Hn.gif

xJKKv.gif
gr9uV.gif
I’m a huge fan of feudal Japan and seeing a game so beautiful and realistic just warms my heart. I can’t wait to try this game out and just ride horses in that beautiful field and never get tired of it.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Not my type of game but TLoU2 sure looks gorgeous...

output844360af55a86fd4.gif

t17186434ab2175a9c.gif

Those water splashes are the best that I've seen in any game yet. O:

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD