DOA5U The Official Tier List with Discussion Thread

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
But I don't kmow how to determine matchups :(
Don't worry about it, in games like DOA or VF it's mostly irrelevant because the difference between "Top Tier" & "Bottom Tier" is pretty small to the point that it's better to focus on utilizing your opponent's tools as best as you can as opposed to getting caught up on opinionated match-ups. I.e. don't get caught up on the numbers.

Lulu

Don't worry about it, in games like DOA or VF it's mostly irrelevant because the difference between "Top Tier" & "Bottom Tier" is pretty small to the point that it's better to focus on utilizing your opponent's tools as best as you can as opposed to getting caught up on opinionated match-ups. I.e. don't get caught up on the numbers.

Or maybe it only seems that way because people haven't yet reached the game's peak yet... :eek:

I hope they never do ;)

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Or maybe it only seems that way because people haven't yet reached the game's peak yet... :eek:

I hope they never do ;)
The thing about DOA5LR is that no character is genuinely "bad". The more I explore the lesser exposed characters, the more I realize how good characters like Zack, Bass or even Leon are for example.

Lulu

The thing about DOA5LR is that no character is genuinely "bad". The more I explore the lesser exposed characters, the more I realize how good characters like Zack, Bass or even Leon are for example.

I don't get why Zack isn't as popular, he's definitely competitively balanced. And he's been around longer. Plus he's two tons of fun.... I'd play him myself if I wasn't so attached to my other characters.

Also so you think Eliot would be alil higher if his :3_::P: was easier to do ? Maybe thats why he's at the bottom in the first place, he certainly doesn't look low tier in the hands of a pro. Infact I've always thought he was right up there with Gen Fu and Akira.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Execution doesn't factor into MU's. If you main a "high execution" character, it's expected that you're able to play them competently enough if you're training for an offline competition.

Lulu

Awesome.... I was just making sure. :)
I should probably master a character first to better understand how this works.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Can we restart the tier list discussions from zero? I'm going through this list and I think it's best that we start the discussions again with a new start by determining an effort/reward ratio for characters?

Lulu

If we're talking about effort and complexity there's gonna be way too much personal opinion involved (we already have enough of that in a tier list discussion).

I'd like to everyone's oppinion. Well not everyone but I genuinely am curious.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I didn't imply that execution is one of those factors necessary for determining where characters stand in a tier list. It's relevant as a human factor, but not much for doa since the game is rather lenient, so it's not very important here.

What is important is how much effort a player needs to put in to kill another character and how many difficult situations a character can put another in, like hard to escape situations or a need to make a hard read/guess.

Comparing toolsets are okay, but there's a way of adding the human element like creating nitaku or strike-throw situations for someone using those tools.

Lulu

I didn't imply that execution is one of those factors necessary for determining where characters stand in a tier list. It's relevant as a human factor, but not much for doa since the game is rather lenient, so it's not very important here.

What is important is how much effort a player needs to put in to kill another character and how many difficult situations a character can put another in, like hard to escape situations or a need to make a hard read/guess.

Comparing toolsets are okay, but there's a way of adding the human element like creating nitaku or strike-throw situations for someone using those tools.

I'm not sure I completely understand but that is something I wana hear more about.... I'm a big fan of setting up situations that force guesses... its the best part about playing Grapplers. I need to come up with some tech for La Mariposa's 7K into Carrera....

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I'm not sure I completely understand but that is something I wana hear more about.... I'm a big fan of setting up situations that force guesses... its the best part about playing Grapplers. I need to come up with some tech for La Mariposa's 7K into Carrera....
I praise your curiosity and wanting to learn, but please leave that for another thread. This thread is for discussing tier placements. Character specific threads are a better place for what you're looking for.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD