DOA5U The Official Tier List with Discussion Thread

Crext

Standard Donor
After last round 18 I believe Kokoro's match-ups should be discussed some more. ;)

Last edited:

Tempest

Since the game has been out for a few months is there any chance we can put some more work into this? At the very least I think we should look into Helena and Phase 4's match ups.

Crext

Standard Donor
Isn't it about time we start cracking the numbers?

I'll throw in some very inaccurate curve balls that needs serious correction, for the new crew:

Honoka.
Akira 5-5
Alpha-152 4-6 (favor Alpha)
Ayane 5-5
Bass 5-5
Bayman 5-5
Brad 5-5
Christie 4-6
Ein 5-5
Eliot 5-5
Gen Fu 3-7
Hayate 4-6
Helena 4-6
Hitomi 5-5
Jacky 5-5
Jann Lee 5-5
Kasumi 4-6
Kokoro 6-4
Leifang 6-4
Leon 5-5
Lisa 6-4
Marie Rose 5-5
Mila 6-4
Momiji 4-6
Nyotengu 6-4
Pai 5-5
Phase 4 5-5
Rachel 5-5
Rig 4-6
Ryu 5-5
Sarah 5-5
Tina 5-5
Zack 5-5
Raidou 5-5

Raidou
Akira 5-5
Alpha-152 6-4 (favor Raidou)
Ayane 5-5
Bass 5-5
Bayman 5-5
Brad 5-5
Christie 4-6
Ein 4-6
Eliot 5-5
Gen Fu 4-6
Hayate 4-6
Helena 4-6
Hitomi 5-5
Jacky 5-5
Jann Lee 5-5
Kasumi 5-5
Kokoro 4-6
Leifang 6-4
Leon 5-5
Lisa 5-5
Marie Rose 5-5
Mila 4-6
Momiji 5-5
Nyotengu 4-6
Pai 5-5
Phase 4 5-5
Rachel 5-5
Rig 6-4
Ryu 5-5
Sarah 5-5
Tina 5-5
Zack 5-5
Honoka 5-5

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I foresee Bass' Chr and/or Hel MUs going down a notch from 7-3 to 6-4 based on what we know of the character and what he's capable of.

It'll take a while to confirm, but just throwing it out these to get discussions going because only a handful of people on planet earth have actually played this character to give a non-biased view.

Crext

Standard Donor
Things will change once a new character comes out and patches alter properties. Tier lists are usually made early (for all types of games), but altered a lot as time goes on and one learn more and adapt for changes. It also makes the discussion for change possible as people can look at the current chart and go "Hey, I don't agree with this to such a degree that I feel the need to post it, and tell why".

As for DoA, we've had this discussion two times already (Classic and Ultimate). The leadership of FSD feels tier discussion shouldn't start until much much later, where the main arguments tend to be that "people" don't know the game yet and most of the opinion would just be "noise". It would also lead to less arguments as there would be fewer people around (mainly the "hardcore/pro" crew), increasing the perceived accuracy of the list.

So we should look at pages like eventshubs, JPN tiers lists or other universal solutions outside the FSD as there is no other data to look at in present time.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
There isn't even any discussion going on though.
How many people would provide accurate data that would legitimately lend itself to quality Tier discussion? Most people only have online play to go off of, which doesn't exactly lead to the best results.

UncleKitchener said:
I foresee Bass' Chr and/or Hel MUs going down a notch from 7-3 to 6-4 based on what we know of the character and what he's capable of.
In my experience there's essentially next to no 7-3 MU's in DOA5LR. This applies to slower characters like Bass, Brad Wong or Leon too.

PMS_Akali

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Premium Donor
I'm not really a fan of tier lists unless they're really well explored. I mean, Marie Rose was out for a while, and people were saying she was terrible even though people were finding all her tools and combos. It wasn't until she was used in tourneys that people finally started acknowledging her strengths. Heck, Japan was saying Kokoro was amazing, and no one could even figure out why until recently.

I hate to say it, but DOA is not exactly the most popular fighting game. The sample size of players is pretty small. Although, the top players are really good at finding characters strengths and weaknesses. I guess if a bunch of top players sat down for a week and explored the entire roaster, I would be more willing to take their word on tiers. That's a pretty hard thing to do, though.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I'm not really a fan of tier lists unless they're really well explored. I mean, Marie Rose was out for a while, and people were saying she was terrible even though people were finding all her tools and combos. It wasn't until she was used in tourneys that people finally started acknowledging her strengths. Heck, Japan was saying Kokoro was amazing, and no one could even figure out why until recently.

I hate to say it, but DOA is not exactly the most popular fighting game. The sample size of players is pretty small. Although, the top players are really good at finding characters strengths and weaknesses. I guess if a bunch of top players sat down for a week and explored the entire roaster, I would be more willing to take their word on tiers. That's a pretty hard thing to do, though.
Lol, Marie Rose is only really good because of how bullshit Minuet is. Without it she'd be pretty average.

As for Tier discussion being only
Limited to "Top players", that would be incredibly exclusionary leading to a lack of overall discussion since most "Top players" don't contribute to that sort of thing anyway.

Crext

Standard Donor
Player > Tier placement. Always.

Also don't forget the main objective of tier lists isn't necessary to be 100% accurate, but entertaining to read and "think about".
Example, Kokoro is difficult against Christie. "Oh gosh jolly, why is that?" the newbie asks, then he gets answer and have learned something new and interesting. Even the player answering the question gets away with better Karma.

Tempest

How many people would provide accurate data that would legitimately lend itself to quality Tier discussion? Most people only have online play to go off of, which doesn't exactly lead to the best results.

You'd be surprised. If we had a tier list discussion for vanilla and ultimate I don't think it's a stretch for us to do LR as well. We are the DOA competitive site after all.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
There hasn't that much change between character from 5U to 5LR, so why has there not been discussions on those characters with minor changes? I think it's actually about time that discussions began because unlike the transition from 5 to 5U, there hasn't been that big of the change in the core system or most characters.

KING JAIMY

Could someone explain why the matchup Kokoro - Hayabusa is 6-4 in Kokoro's favor? Also, I think Hayabusa is placed way too low on this tier list overall.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Could someone explain why the matchup Kokoro - Hayabusa is 6-4 in Kokoro's favor? Also, I think Hayabusa is placed way too low on this tier list overall.
A lot people thought Busa was nerfed too much from their initial impressions. It would be nice for a Busa player to factually explain why this may still be the case because Busa is still used and is still pretty popular.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD