The official Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown thread

TRI Mike

I'm really bad at the game. I keep trying to incorporate sidestepping, throws, stances and all kinds of shit into my gameplay but people just keep mashing PPPK and killing me. Gotta learn how to have the matches under control.

Grap3, Allan, Gill and CyberEvil I need your gamertags or PSN ids to play you guys.

Berzerk!

Yeah a lot of people will attack out of disadvantage when they aren't too experienced (abare style), so you have to force them to fear your strikes and make use of counter hits and play safe and punish.

Then as they start to hesitate you can work in slower stuff like some of the stances tend to be.

LostSkeleton73

Standard Donor
I've found my Rush power trio: Wolf, Lau, and Taka-Arashi. More often than not, using Lau in ranked, while getting more of a feel for the others in casual rooms.

GT:LostSkeleton73 if anyone is looking for players online

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Played the game for the first time yesterday at East Coast Throwdown, Gamerbee won the tournament by the way.

I enjoy the changes to Wolf and Akira is far too different for me to pick up.

Playing against Jaxel we found you just could not break Wolf's 66P+G. It's strange to have an unbreakable throw in a VF game. If anyone believes it to be breakable, I'd appreciate someone showing me footage of the timing.

FakeSypha

I'm really bad at the game. I keep trying to incorporate sidestepping, throws, stances and all kinds of shit into my gameplay but people just keep mashing PPPK and killing me. Gotta learn how to have the matches under control.

Grap3, Allan, Gill and CyberEvil I need your gamertags or PSN ids to play you guys.

Yeah, I know that feel man. I'm having a hard time punishing those 'mashers'. I mean, if I block the whole string It seems I don't have the frame advantage to pull a throw. So I'm guessing most of those easy 'masheable' strings are safe?
Against this mashing type, sidestepping works great... sometimes. I'm too shit to timing them right or guess the right situation (i.e. I go the wrong side and stop a semi-circular attack with my face, not recommendable). I just end up controlling the space, applying pressure and confusing the opponent with some Vane's Lancer strings (like :4::K::6::H+P:). Deflect attacks are good too.

Anyway, most of the matches I lost were against dudes that seemed to know what they were doing, or at least I like to believe so, lol.

For any Vane player, this would be helpful:

Berzerk!

You don't need special timing in VF5FS to break throws, just hold P+G and the correct direction. Try it that way.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
You don't need special timing in VF5FS to break throws, just hold P+G and the correct direction. Try it that way.

Jaxel was able to break every other throw, including Blackula. However, neither was able to break 66P+G.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Have you seen vids of anyone breaking the throw in the arcade version?

No, because I don't own the game and haven't really watched anything about it. That's why I asked for a video to be posted if anyone knows if it's been broken in video. It's his diamond cutter throw, he lifts them up in the air and does a diamond cutter.

Best we found so far is just throwing him or attacking during his initial frames, but you can't break it once his active frames hit.

Allan Paris

Now, you're not gonna continue on long with the "mashing", right?

C'mon on now, this is me you're talking to. That was a first night run with me knowing absolutely nothing about the game and saying, "Screw the Dojo for right now." I'll be playing this with a hint of SkullGirls until DOA5 comes (about 4 months).

By then that Pai Chan will be tournament viable along with Filia. I Plan on entering more than just one tournament scene this go around.

ScattereDreams

Lion players can check the FS combo thread's i've posted in. Breaking throw's in this game couldn't be more easier. Although I prefer the old TE system from Vanilla. It took me quite a while to get down multiple throw escapes and the shit gets removed so the weak sauce players will have a easier time breaking throws. The max in vanilla was 4/5 options I could only do 3/5. I was fast, but not fast enough. Then again it's still equivalent since I couldn't do all 4/5 options

TRI Mike

So, how does throw breaking work again¿ Vanilla had the defensive player press the last direction of the input plus P+H.

Also, Fake Syphia, I tried editing the first post with the combos but I can't copy/paste the images of the buttons and I'm too lazy to copy them one by one. But I'd really like to have a place to keep track of the combos we have to avoid having to go to virtuafighter.com every time. That way we could have our small VF community here while we wait for DOA5 (and even after).

Anyone here interested in some Aoi combos and strings¿

Game Over

Thanks, however you can jab it before it hits which defeats the 'catch throw' as I interpret it. Either way: unbreakable.

That fits with the description on the VFDC Wiki:

Catch Throw

These are throws with special start-up animations such as Goh’s [6][6][P][+][G], Sarah's Flamingo Stance throws, El Blaze's Rocket Discharge throw, to name a few. Catch Throws are designated on the VFDC Command Lists as “HCT” (High Catch Throw) in the “Cls” (Class) column.

Depending on the character they have varying execution times and ranges. All Catch Throws are inescapable except for the two Defensive Move Catch Throws ([P]+[K] during Defensive Move with either Wolf or Vanessa in Offensive Stance) that can be escaped in the same manner as Side Throws.

Catch Throws have the ability to beat (or eat) an attack where a Normal Throw would otherwise fail. Specifically, so long as the attack has not yet reached it's hit frames, and is on the same level (standing or crouching), then the Catch Throw will connect successfully. Compare this to a Normal Throw that will fail against any attack that's already executing.

http://virtuafighter.com/wiki/vf5/system_part_2#catch_throw

FakeSypha

Also, Fake Syphia, I tried editing the first post with the combos but I can't copy/paste the images of the buttons and I'm too lazy to copy them one by one. But I'd really like to have a place to keep track of the combos we have to avoid having to go to virtuafighter.com every time. That way we could have our small VF community here while we wait for DOA5 (and even after).

Anyone here interested in some Aoi combos and strings¿
No problem, Mike. Those combos I posted before are way too basic. I believe anyone could figure them out with a little investment of time at the dojo. In the other hand, that combo vid has some neat stuff. It has Japanese notations, but most of the stuff is understandable.
Oh, and it's Sypha without the "i", lol.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD