The official Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown thread

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
There was a special roundtable discussion from Den Faminico Gamer called the Tetsujins Roundtable, which featured the legendary Japanese VF players BunBunMaru, Ikebukuro Sarah, and Kyasao. Those three, along with Shinjuku Jacky, Kashiwa Jeffry, and K.K. Yukikaze are the first six Tetsujin players recognized by SEGA themselves since 1995, long before the term eSports was a thing.

1628269675309.png

(Left to right: BunBunMaru, Ikebukuro Sarah, Kyasao)

1628269709444.png

The official certificate.

During the roundtable discussion, they've talked about the old VF days of the 1990s, how they found their characters, and what they had to do as Tetsujin players. Here are a few I picked out:

• Tetsujin players had to go to all 47 prefectures of Japan to compete.
  • Kashiwa Jeffry is the only player to win all 100 battles in the 100-man Kumite tour, TWICE. Kyasao had a record of 99 wins and 1 loss.
  • SEGA created the Star Player title, which started with VF5. Their names were gold-colored in order to stand out.
  • The concept of frames, advantage, and disadvantage weren't common for players until VF3. VF1 was really messy with the frames, and VF2 reduced that.
  • Speaking of VF3, it divided the VF community in Japan. The older players who played VF1 and VF2 did not like the game, while some of them who started in VF2 ended up enjoying the game.
There's a lot you can read here. VFDC did the translation and there were more things that were referenced such as the 3rd Athena Cup rivalry between BunBunMaru and Daimon Lau, BunBunMaru actually appearing in the live action GTO series, discussions of having VF5FS or VFes (VF5US) as the next game for Beat-Tribe Cup, and many others. Did you know that Kyasao hasn't owned a console since the PS1 and he bought a console for VF5US?

Oh, and Ikebukuro Sarah, at the age of 56, recently did a 100-man Kumite with a record of 73 wins and 27 losses.

Link to article: https://virtuafighter.com/threads/den-faminico-gamers-tetsujins-roundtable.21705/

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Version 1.10 Summer Update for VF5US is officially out! The update includes Team Battle Mode, simultaneous play during Tournament and League Matches, Purple sparks are used for Side Counter Hits, Stage Selection Mode for online matches, and more!

However... There are three new titles added in the update. One is related to SEGA Forever (SEGA's Retro Social Media Page), and two of them are related to VFDC, the forum site dedicated to VF.

1629898733567.png

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Not gonna lie, I usually don't pay attention to this kind of a thing, but I am a little disappointed in the character customizations. I'm used to being able to do a lot of edits to my characters from previous VF's. Hoping that they update it soon. Other than that, I have a blast learning & playing the game.

I've been working on getting the PC version of Final Showdown too.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Not gonna lie, I usually don't pay attention to this kind of a thing, but I am a little disappointed in the character customizations. I'm used to being able to do a lot of edits to my characters from previous VF's. Hoping that they update it soon. Other than that, I have a blast learning & playing the game.

I've been working on getting the PC version of Final Showdown too.
They were supposed to add the rest of the customizations from Final Showdown, but couldn't add all of them due to time constraints (because this game was supposed to be released at the end of the SEGA 60th Anniversary Campaign) and the pandemic.

AM2 and RGG still wants to bring back the rest of the items in the near future.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
I hear the online community is starting to fade already, less and less ppl playing?

Should have released on all platforms..

I'm seeing people play VF5FS via parsec on PC through Yakuza, which is pretty cool.

Yeah, but on a more positive note: We had about 37 people entered for VF5US at Summer Jam offline. If we had 3 more, we could have had stream time. Which stinks because we could have used this time to promote Virtua Fighter Global Showdown, which is our global tournament between North America, Japan, and Europe.

NEC is coming up, so we need as many entrants as possible. It is one of the main games featured at the tournament.

Radiance

VF5US is barely hitting 50 views now on twitch. Can they just make a VF6 and revamp the game. Love me some VF5, but it's time for a new trick.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
VF5US is barely hitting 50 views now on twitch. Can they just make a VF6 and revamp the game. Love me some VF5, but it's time for a new trick.
I think this is why they kept the game on ps4 and made it free for ps+, they knew the hype was gonna be up for the while it was released with the new visuals overhaul and the music and minor changes but why spend time making a remake multi platform if the interest isn't gonna be there, especially on PS4 which is the main go to console? XD I think that's why they're also taking time on releasing the other custom parts too

I think a VF6 would be good but the team is likely wondering if it's worth it, since this US is basically a taste of what a new VF could be, they don't want a fate like SC6 or DOA6 where the game is either not supported much in the long run or it's more criticism than play

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
I think this is why they kept the game on ps4 and made it free for ps+, they knew the hype was gonna be up for the while it was released with the new visuals overhaul and the music and minor changes but why spend time making a remake multi platform if the interest isn't gonna be there, especially on PS4 which is the main go to console? XD I think that's why they're also taking time on releasing the other custom parts too

I think a VF6 would be good but the team is likely wondering if it's worth it, since this US is basically a taste of what a new VF could be, they don't want a fate like SC6 or DOA6 where the game is either not supported much in the long run or it's more criticism than play
The team is well pleased with the downloads that it has received since it was reported that the game was downloaded 10 Million times. They are considering doing VF6, but not right now. If they were to do VF6, they would have to find innovation that other 3D fighters must follow.

They have a lot planned with VF5US before they can do VF6 next.

I believe it was talked about before when the game first game out. Seiji Aoki and Katsuhiro Harada both did an interview about VF's return, development process, why they chose PS+, and the online.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
The team is well pleased with the downloads that it has received since it was reported that the game was downloaded 10 Million times. They are considering doing VF6, but not right now. If they were to do VF6, they would have to find innovation that other 3D fighters must follow.

They have a lot planned with VF5US before they can do VF6 next.

I believe it was talked about before when the game first game out. Seiji Aoki and Katsuhiro Harada both did an interview about VF's return, development process, why they chose PS+, and the online.

Oh yeah I know the game got a good amount of downloads which is helped from the game being free for ps+ users in July but they definitely need to see the longevity of the game which they can do well with if they add more content and maybe new things besides visuals like maybe balance adjustments, I don't think they'll add any new mechanics but idk if they will in VF6 either since unless they just add different combo properties and such they can't really do much without people saying they're dumbing the game down like with the other fighters

Radiance

umm SCVI was supported by both it's community and the devs, unfortunately covid happened, but the game still has online events hosted by PS and 8wayrun. They overhauled the game, gave everyone new moves, implemented new mechanics, added new stages, and brought back fan favorites. Namco Bandai was not finished supporting the game, we know due to covid alot of the projects are still on stand-by and based off the data mining info more DLC characters were planned to be released. SCVI was a success. I've never seen devs listen to their community and give us what we ask for. We'll definitely be seeing a SCVII right after Tekken 8.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Oh yeah I know the game got a good amount of downloads which is helped from the game being free for ps+ users in July but they definitely need to see the longevity of the game which they can do well with if they add more content and maybe new things besides visuals like maybe balance adjustments, I don't think they'll add any new mechanics but idk if they will in VF6 either since unless they just add different combo properties and such they can't really do much without people saying they're dumbing the game down like with the other fighters

They are fully aware. There was a clear reason why the survey was made: to use as feedback for the next installment when they get to it, or additional changes that needs to be made for this game.

Seiji Aoki, as well as SEGA AM2 and RGG themselves are fully vocal when it comes to VF.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor

SCVI likely will have done better in the long run than VF5US will do. Like Radiance implied it was supported well until COVID cut its support short. Losing the SCVI World Tour was a considerable setback. VF5US was practically half-assed in its release. SCVI was basically a brand new game, and respect the SC community more than VF5US respects VF fans wanting VF6. If you want people to get into your game, don't half-ass it and imply that it will impact VF6's potential release.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
SCVI likely will have done better in the long run than VF5US will do. Like Radiance implied it was supported well until COVID cut its support short. Losing the SCVI World Tour was a considerable setback. VF5US was practically half-assed in its release. SCVI was basically a brand new game, and respect the SC community more than VF5US respects VF fans wanting VF6. If you want people to get into your game, don't half-ass it and imply that it will impact VF6's potential release.
Yeah but because of how the content and news was set it was kinda hard for SC to have regained that longevity, it would have done better definitely but it likely won't be seen unless someone takes the reigns since Okubo is gone now.

And I don't think VF5US was half assed, as a free game for a month for ps+ users with new visuals and music, I think it was nicely handled, they could have made the game multi platform but they likely didn't for reasons we don't know, but there's no stopping anyone from getting a PS4 to play it or even the older versions since they're basically the same, VF5US is just running on a new graphics engine with new music. I think in general tho the covid situation has hurt the game community since it's alot more difficult to have announcements and content releases with tourney play but Sega at least is trying to manage

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
SEGA AM2 and RGG Studios had a deadline for VF5US since this game was made for SEGA's 60th Anniversary, but COVID fucked them over. They nearly almost didn't make it, which ended up cutting some content out. Mind you, this game was in development since February 2020, one month before the pandemic hit.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD