Battle Royal The Success of Evolution 2015

Shortly after @Gehaktbal won his qualifier to the Dead or Alive Festival, @Mr.Kwiggle came out the Dead or Alive 5 Last Round champion at Evolution 2015 in Las Vegas, NV. Many of the Dead or Alive players in attendance are reporting the great atmosphere of Evolution and great times they had with the community and their friends at the event:

Reginald "Electrified Mann | MC Static" Wysinger, who placed 4th overall, had this to say:
Welp I made 4th THIS time AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHEIRICVTGSJCIFBEJD!!!!!! LMAO but had a very interesting and fun weekend here at Evo. Had a good time and got to explore this sleepless city. Was proud to still put up a variety of my character's on stream too. GG's and congrats to my buddy Kristian Mclean for the W as well as Steady Gibbs for putting up that hell of a fight. Always a pleasure to get to personally speak with and hang with Tom, Eric Small, and Shin Blanka you guy's work very hard to make these events happen and I really appreciated it. Now it's time to head back to Houston to heal and recover and I'll see you guy's again at Summer Jam with some even crazier tricks. wink emoticon (Also very hyped to see this DOA Festival in a few weeks)

Steady "CrazySteady" Gibbs, who placed 2nd overall, said the following:
Had an amazing time at EVO! Great games to my buddies Kristian & Reginald! Congrats to that cheap Christie for winning I guess lol. And of course I had to fight Hajin AGAIN! Lol that guy is just, awesome lol. Great matches as always! xD Shout outs to everyone that made it out to the event! Huge shout outs to Eric & Shin for putting it together. Special thanks to Tom as well! Without these guys, I don't know where our community will be at now! I had an awesome time! The Bryants will be back soon! It is always great to go to tournaments because you get to meet awesome people like Darryl! It was a lot of fun. See you guys soon!

Kristian "MC Kwiggle" Mclean, taking the event, reported:
Just wanted to give some shoutouts to Tom Lee, Eric SmallShin Blanka and the madcatz guys for putting together the event. Always a great time seeing you guys and got to enjoy hanging out and talking about various things. Also shout outs to the all the players that made it out to EVO like hajin, return of the shadow, and many more who helped the tournament scene. Was cool meeting you Darryl Surijpaul you need to hit up players like Sly Bass and Dan McMahon since you live right in New York, glad you enjoyed your first tournament. Lastly of course shout outs to my friendsSteady Gibbs and Reginald Wysinger. Steady for that awesome grand final. Gave the people quite a show and had people getting mad hype lol coming for blood resetting the bracket and taking it all the way to last game. Beat the crap out my bro too lol and to emann for just overall fantastic play and doing what he does best when he plays, showing why he's a top player with all those reads and counters against me and steady. Will be uploading the other top 8 matches that didn't get streamed so you guys have more hype matches to see. Can't wait to go make the USA proud at this DOA Festival In a couple weeks :)

11745842_10152981559685778_2029686349420541724_n.jpg

It wasn't just the players sending in good reports, but the tournament organizers as well. Eric "Big E" Smalls and Tom Lee of Team NINJA reported good times with players and the camraderie between the players made for a great weekend. Larry "Shin Blanka" Dixon made an excellent plea to the community in how we are coming from a solid showing and with Summer Jam, The Fall Classic, Absolute Battle, and the Battle Royal finals Northeast Championships showing good numbers we can represent Dead or Alive as one of the best 3D fighters in the FGC:

Shin Blanka said:
On the behalf of FINAL ROUND LLC, BIG E GAMING, and TEAM NINJA I would like to thank EVERYONE that attended this event at EVOLUTION 2015. Also everyone needs to thank the EVOLUTION staff for allowing this to happen. I was very pleased with the turnout since this was a side tournament at EVO. This is a stepping stone moment imo and we as a community need to take advantage of this if you guys ever want a true chance to be on the EVOLUTION main stage. Of course we would need more people to attend offline events at our traditional doa majors to show our scene is growing. If KI can get on EVOLUTION main game list why can't doa? If we can get at least 128 at summer jam and at tfc, 64 at paradise, and 200 plus at nec I think that would be a huge statement as a growing scene. I know times are rough to travel to that many events for those that are super active in the offline tournament scene but we have sooooooo many players in this group in so many parts of the country and world that it shouldn't be a hard task if everyone in this community wants doa officially at evo. We have to show growth guys plain and simple. I know team ninja Tom Lee will continue to support the doa community and it helps him when he can show the corporation in the meetings that his efforts are not wasted. We cannot do this without you guys. Let's make the second half of the battle Royale season something nobody will forget of deny!

I normally don't do this but I have to say something. Big unshoutout to all those former fake doa players that was at evo and didn't enter the event. Those that look me and Eric in the face and didn't even come over to the booth where we were set up. WHEN doa grows and is on the main stage of evo next year we don't want your kind back. I'm not saying any names and don't pm me about this because I have zero to say to any of you!

There were also reports of various Fighting Game sub-communities tuning in to the Evolution festivities and watching the DOA5LR side streams along with the Evo main streams.

11755910_1016968118321730_4068403395690042344_n.jpg

Dead or Alive was given an opportunity thanks to the Tournament Organization of Big E Gaming, and it honestly didn't disappoint by having over fifty (50) entrants in the side tournament, higher than most if not all of the other side tournaments at Evolution. Time will tell if we will ever make it into the main roster at Evolution, but the biggest deciding factor on that is you and the members of the Dead or Alive community. Keep up the good work, promote your game and your friends, and help the community by trying to attend the Battle Royal Finale at North East Championships in Philadelphia, PA on the first weekend of December (December 4-5, 2015). We have grown the scene so much since the days of Dead or Alive 3 and Dead or Alive 4, together we can keep the train moving.

wearefighters.png

Related Articles:

Last edited:
Matches were awesome, I just hated the commentary.

I know, it's about the hype, but that commentary took so much away from the matches and was just distracting. (And, most of the time, he had no idea what the hell he was talking about).

It seems like most people appreciate it and I don't think I could do a better job, especially on stage in front of a group of people, but I have to agree it certainly didn't add anything to my viewing experience. I prefer to listen to the pro's commentate as I end up learning a lot more about the game and high level play. The most recent Mr. Wah and DestructionBomb's commentary was much more insightful so it added a lot more to the experience for me, but then again I don't need someone hyping me up to watch the fights, I've been following these guys for years, I'm already hyped.

Fighting games aren't like traditional sports in that it's not always as obvious to the viewer why the feats being performed are impressive, personally I think the emphasis of good fighting game commentary should be on explaining the game to players who don't operate at such a high level, especially if our goal is to convince new players that high level play is rewarding and worth committing their time to achieving.

But yea he was way too over hyped when Kwiggles and SonicFox fought in The Crimson, there was no reason to get hyped over such a one sided juggle fest...

^ Maybe it was his first time seeing that juggle ? He was obviously very into it . For me, hearing his excitement throughout the stream was really refreshing . boobiebombs did a great job !

Also, these two guys commentary was great !

Here comes the chaos ! Lmao ! I like energetic and enthusiastic commentary but I respect your opinion .

Last edited:
^ This commentary is much better than the one in the Top 4 finals. The mic isn't overly loud and the guys behind the mic aren't overly hyped.

I think there seems to be a bit of a divide on the commentary issue. People seem to either like technical "golf commentary", or "hype" commentary. Either type is fine by me, though I hate when there's no commentary because it just makes the matches feel inconsequential and relatively dull.

However, the main type of DOA commentary I despise is when someone from another game (such as Tekken, SF, etc.) commentates a DOA match and just shit on the game through their ignorance. That's when I start cringing.

Edit: On a different note, I'm impressed with how well Steven did at EVO. His Kasumi was on point!

Last edited:
Honestly, the commentary was really good, it got me hyped even though he was inaccurate sometimes. I'd much rather listen to Boobiebombs than 2 people talk about their Twitter names and how to follow them for no reason. I think he would need someone with him who knows the technical stuff like Mr Wah for example, then it would be all good. Or maybe Rabies, I like his commentary as well.

Honestly, I just need to start commentating for the technicality on DOA streams for west coast (as in learn how to commentate well). As much as I know about this game and what's going on mid-match, it would help out the other commentator. I just don't like to commentate, but it's something I just need to start doing.

As for Boobiebombs, he is a great personality for commentary. Better than most who has commentated on DOA5 streams. He is also very much a player playing to learn like everyone else, yet he still does a great job. Especially when someone else is on commentary with him to compliment one another's commentary. Cut him some slack, especially since he did this on his own.

I think for commentary, there should be a mix of both. 3D fighters need that technical commentary because a lot of casual viewers tend not to understand the spacing, oki, and metagame of 3D fighters. They'll ask why characters are "twitching" around so much, which is kind of funny. However, when you have someone who can bring the hype, it makes matches that much more exciting and really makes you wish that you could have been there to see it in person. If someone just happens to bring both technicality and hype during their commentary, that's even better! Overall though, we needed hype and boobiebombs delivered in that aspect.

There's a reason a color commentator is always paired with the play-by-play analyst. Typically to hype up the viewers by talking about the players, the game, the event, or the mood itself. When you get only one of the two then you can get viewers to tune out.

Look at Final Round 16 for example where it was myself and Rabies. I was the one who decided the pair, at one point it was going to be Sebastian (Chosen1) and Rabies and both are too much hype on each other that it would just be confusing. I felt that my monotone data-driven way of speaking would help balance out Rabies' 'hype'. Both of us were able to talk about the players themselves too.

You can't just talk about the game that's in front of you, you have to talk and promote the players, the history, the experience of being there, what the spectators/viewers are missing out on.

Honestly, I just need to start commentating for the technicality on DOA streams for west coast (as in learn how to commentate well). As much as I know about this game and what's going on mid-match, it would help out the other commentator. I just don't like to commentate, but it's something I just need to start doing.

As for Boobiebombs, he is a great personality for commentary. Better than most who has commentated on DOA5 streams. He is also very much a player playing to learn like everyone else, yet he still does a great job. Especially when someone else is on commentary with him to compliment one another's commentary. Cut him some slack, especially since he did this on his own.

I agree he did a good job for the situation he was in and it really helped make me feel like I was there. I don't envy the job and have a ton of appreciation for the guys that are willing to step up and entertain the fans. You should definitely commentate though, your great at explaining the game, I always learn a lot when I watch your streams.

Ultimately having both personalities is the way to go, just wanted to make sure technical based commentary got represented and the gratification it deserves. I hope I didn't come off sounding unappreciative and I know it takes all forms to deliver good commentary, but god damn do I love me some Mr. Wah on stream.

Last edited:
^ Maybe it was his first time seeing that juggle ? He was obviously very into it . For me, hearing his excitement throughout the stream was really refreshing . boobiebombs did a great job !

Also, these two guys commentary was great !

Here comes the chaos ! Lmao ! I like energetic and enthusiastic commentary but I respect your opinion .
This is the same guy but he is sitting with AG. AG in this case was the hype one. In all 5 of us commented over the weekend. Bbomb and AG did most on sat.

Last edited:
EVO 2015 being a success? Did you guys hear about all those thefts that happen at EVO? It was a steal all you can steal event.

There's a reason a color commentator is always paired with the play-by-play analyst. Typically to hype up the viewers by talking about the players, the game, the event, or the mood itself. When you get only one of the two then you can get viewers to tune out.

This. I never understand why people never get this at all from watching things like wrestling or any other sport. You don't have 2 pros on the mic at all times because it gets boring for anyone who wants to feel like they are there in the audience and having 2 hype men have the issue of not getting the audience to know how impressive something was.

Boobie did a DAMN good job keeping people hyped as he reminded me heavily of Yipes of Marvel fame who is one of the best at keeping people hype for matches of MvC2 and UMvC3. And considering he was alone, I would say that's even more impressive than anything else(especially considering that past DOA5 streams had terrible commentators more often than not or even some games outside of DOA having terrible commentators in EVO).

I honestly hope he does find himself being a commentator more often, especially if a pro commentator wants to go full-time on DOA as well along with him.

Thanks for the positive and negative feedback guys. I was doing commentary with Boobiebombs (Evan), Catzdalegit, VincentRayne and many others. I watched many DOA5LR stream and to me, it lacked a lot of "oomph". My fellow commentators and I tried to get excited without having to literally yell on the mic. Sorry for screaming on some occasions though since there were quite a few upsets (imho) that happened throughout the time I was commentating at EVO 2015. I also was trying to dumb my knowledge of the game (be on the mindset of a first time player) and be a color commentator while having the other answer my questions or give his knowledgeable feedback on the ongoing match. Anyways, Thanks again!

Part of the matches was very excited, and it was amazing seeing it in person (especially appearing in part of the stream as a crowd at the MadCatz stage).

I do believe DOA can become part of EVO main roster of games all it really needs is more people to travel to Vegas, know when its going to start, keep track of time (not be late or do something else that waste time), and enter the tournament. That's what I did along with others that did showed up and being able to play.

Its good to be back from EVO. It was pretty fun time being in the event playing various games, playing in this & Tekken 7 tournament, meeting Harada, watching some matches in person, and appearing in streams like DOA, Spaera, & Tekken 7. I would love to continue appearing in EVO and enter in tournaments along with doing some fun stuff.

Part of the matches was very excited, and it was amazing seeing it in person (especially appearing in part of the stream as a crowd at the MadCatz stage).

I do believe DOA can become part of EVO main roster of games all it really needs is more people to travel to Vegas, know when its going to start, keep track of time (not be late or do something else that waste time), and enter the tournament. That's what I did along with others that did showed up and being able to play.

Its good to be back from EVO. It was pretty fun time being in the event playing various games, playing in this & Tekken 7 tournament, meeting Harada, watching some matches in person, and appearing in streams like DOA, Spaera, & Tekken 7. I would love to continue appearing in EVO and enter in tournaments along with doing some fun stuff.
Glad you had a great time! It looked like an awesome tournament. To be fair, the reason why DOA doesn't get on to the main roster of games is because the EVO organizers fucking hate the game or have beef with it going back to the abysmal DOA4 at EVO. I.e., they don't care to support it. However I was still pleased with how the side tournament went (considering that SC & VF got fuck all) and am excited to see how DOA5LR does next year whether as another side-game or finally being added as a "main" game.

Kudos to all that helped DOA5LR be a part of EVO2015!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD