"Toning down blah blah" Let's talk about the EVO event...

Dr PaC

I think most of FSD saw through it. My evidence for that is the number of people who trashed FSD as some SJW website over it because they wouldn't believe us when we told them to chill out.
I must not have been a member of this site during that time, cuz I wouldve been pissed about that

Providence

I think most of FSD saw through it. My evidence for that is the number of people who trashed FSD as some SJW website over it because they wouldn't believe us when we told them to chill out.
Bear in mind, that at the time, there were several users here condemning the fanservice, I payed attention to a number of the arguments that took place here even though I wasn't logged in. We even had people jokingly suggest that should just remove breasts from all the female characters for the sole purpose of alienating fellow fans of the game, just because they're mad at people thinking that a DOA game should have fanservice.

It doesn't help when we have pro players calling people degenerates out of the blue, just because they enjoy all the themes and features of the game, and not just the battle mechanics alone.

werewolfgold

just because they're mad at people thinking that a DOA game should have fanservice.
Okay, where were these said arguments? I got into some of these arguments. (I even admit to being mean at times.) But, the problem was never "the game should have fanservice". The problem was people flipping out that the game wouldn't have ALL the fanservice to the point where the game was just Sexy Beach lite. And that the series was worthless otherwise. There's a difference. I feel like you're underselling it to make one side look a little better.

If people think the game is trash just because it doesn't have the Fortune bikinis in it, then...yeah. We're going to have to fight.

PhoenixVFIRE

to be honest, i was gonna get doa6 no matter what publicity happened or things that were introduced. it's one of the few game series ive followed most of my life, and the only doa fighting game i didnt play since i first played doa3, was dimensions and it was bc im broke and dont have a 3ds. i even played doa4 for the entirety of it's lifespan lmfao

i love all the characters, the way the game plays, and even some of the fanservice, and no amount of whatever bs the creators or other fans try to pull was gonna ruin that for me tbh... if shimbori wants to do more fanservice idc, if he wants them to be more mature and realistic idc... i just want a fun fighting game with the characters i love and fight against some opponents.

Raansu

Bear in mind, that at the time, there were several users here condemning the fanservice, I payed attention to a number of the arguments that took place here even though I wasn't logged in. We even had people jokingly suggest that should just remove breasts from all the female characters for the sole purpose of alienating fellow fans of the game, just because they're mad at people thinking that a DOA game should have fanservice.

It doesn't help when we have pro players calling people degenerates out of the blue, just because they enjoy all the themes and features of the game, and not just the battle mechanics alone.

Are you talking about years back with the tournament rules? That was completely reasonable asking players to not pick the most ridiculous DLC outfits. Game was on stream trying to push the game as a good fighter. Last thing we needed was Momiji on stream in the Christmas ribbon outfit. Fanservice is fine, but the level DoA5 went to was obnoxious.

just_me

Standard Donor
We even had people jokingly suggest that should just remove breasts from all the female characters for the sole purpose of alienating fellow fans of the game, just because they're mad at people thinking that a DOA game should have fanservice.

I mean that was just Grape going off the reservation… again…
There are a few other people with some anger management issues, but – some sudden thread nuking aside – FSD has fairly lenient and hands-off moderation… so you just have to deal with that at times.

Macca Beam

the tournament rules were good intentions handled in the worst way possible. if some memer picks a lewd costume on stage you can laugh at just them later
but asking players to not pick certain outfits makes it seem like they do so all the time, and the announcement draws everybody's attention to the costumes BEFORE anyone even picked them. in a SHHHHHHH DON'T LET ANYONE KNOW WE HAVE GOLD HERE manner

you're better off with an inconspicuous approach like "pick ur character quickly since we're short on time"

Providence

Okay, where were these said arguments? I got into some of these arguments. (I even admit to being mean at times.) But, the problem was never "the game should have fanservice". The problem was people flipping out that the game wouldn't have ALL the fanservice to the point where the game was just Sexy Beach lite. And that the series was worthless otherwise. There's a difference. I feel like you're underselling it to make one side look a little better.
They happened here, one of the threads was the one that "just_me" mentioned above.

But I never saw anyone here demand the levels of DOA5 LR DLC be included in DOA6 at launch, not here at FSD anyway, but I'm not lurking in every forum though either.

If people think the game is trash just because it doesn't have the Fortune bikinis in it, then...yeah. We're going to have to fight.
I don't recall people here suggesting that. Though I'm sure people were saying that in other places (because they're newbies that came into DOA at LR core fighters, thinking that the game always had 1k worth of costumes), but I'm not talking about those guys.

There was a legit fear that this game was going to launch being more conservative than SF, Tekken, or even VF, and no one was addressing these concerns with anything concrete, or simply brushing them off saying they shouldn't care about it.

I mean that was just Grape going off the reservation… again…
There are a few other people with some anger management issues, but – some sudden thread nuking aside – FSD has fairly lenient and hands-off moderation… so you just have to deal with that at times.
I'm not bothered by lax moderation, the issue was the hyperbolic sentiment of erasing such a large portion of the original fan base because they enjoy all of the game, that sentiment being met with little if any opposition at all.

Perhaps the community was simply apathetic towards the concept, but something so contentious (even if its just hyperbole) usually is met with more resistance.

People saw the kinds of posts similar to Leisumi and Baji Breakdancer stance, and it just looked like petty typical pearl clutching.

werewolfgold

But I never saw anyone here demand the levels of DOA5 LR DLC be included in DOA6 at launch, not here at FSD anyway, but I'm not lurking in every forum though either.
Oh, there were definitely some gems, lol. But, it was indeed worse in other places.

There was a legit fear that this game was going to launch being more conservative than SF, Tekken, or even VF, and no one was addressing these concerns with anything concrete, or simply brushing them off saying they shouldn't care about it.
Was it really legit, though? Was it really? lol

Providence

Was it really legit, though? Was it really? lol
Every gaming news site claiming to be quoting Mr Shimbori himself, talking about toning down the game, and with the terms "world trends" and "global standards" which are the exact same terms that Sony and Valve used to justify their censoring games or out right blocking games from sale on their platform.

It looked like the situation was completely out of his hands.
There was never a legitimate rebuttal which could refute the fears, as the fears were based in observable evidence, while the optimism required 100% faith (because there was nothing tangible to base it on at the time).

No one assumes that the director and producer of the game is going to lie to journalists in a way that would make their product look less appealing.

What didn't help was journalists throwing in #MeToo into their DOA6 headlines for clickbait, falsely claiming that movement had anything to do with the game's development. Anyone reading the actual article would have known it was just clickbait crap, but that headline made its rounds unchecked causing lots of anger, because people somehow haven't figured out yet that journalists are not to be trusted.

But all that's in the past now, I'm just happy that people are finally looking at the game now, people who were upset about the game are pre-ordering now. The game is even getting "spite preorders" from people who knew nothing about the game, but just want to stick it to the censorship apologists by supporting a game which didn't bend the knee. Once they play the game, they're going to have a chance to actually appreciate what really makes DOA great.

JJdude

How can I put this into words, I think he and DOA in general should just do there own thing. Same with other game companies. No need to try to appease certain people or try making sacrifices. It's a lose lose situation when trying to appease to certain groups of people. One side just wants the fighting and not the fanservice and the other side wants the fanservice. Both sides give DOA support like it or not. No need sacrifice either groups to get what you wanted if they both support DOA in different ways.

werewolfgold

Every gaming news site claiming to be quoting Mr Shimbori himself, talking about toning down the game, and with the terms "world trends" and "global standards" which are the exact same terms that Sony and Valve used to justify their censoring games or out right blocking games from sale on their platform.

It looked like the situation was completely out of his hands.
There was never a legitimate rebuttal which could refute the fears, as the fears were based in observable evidence, while the optimism required 100% faith (because there was nothing tangible to base it on at the time).
Not to harp on it, but this is...false. During the E3 reveal weekend, it was directly stated that 1. the "jiggle" would be in the game but hadn't been implemented yet and 2. previous costumes would be in the game. Following that, you'd have to wonder what else is there?

In regards to Sony or Valve, you'd only have to take a look at what games were hitting a wall to see that DOA (the fighting games, at least) was nowhere near any of that stuff. Senran Kagura got smacked for having a "grope high schoolers" mode, Omega Labyrinth Z has you sexually licking some girl with a teddy bear or something. Stuff like that. None of that would even apply. I guess the DOA5+ on Vita had touch mode, but that's not applicable to current gen. And we probably lost the controller shake thing. What else would people want? Bikinis? Not every DOA even had those, but the world kept turning.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
Theres a difference between being a fan that enjoys all DOA has to offer, which is a lot, and coming onto FSD to shove a petition down our throats and troll threads to degrade them into yet another fanservice debate.

I will never feel bad for what's said to the latter. People like that are why the total DLC for 5LR is a downpayment on a car.

Providence

Not to harp on it, but this is...false. During the E3 reveal weekend, it was directly stated that 1. the "jiggle" would be in the game but hadn't been implemented yet and 2. previous costumes would be in the game. Following that, you'd have to wonder what else is there?
Again, every headline was pushing this idea that the game was toned down.

Yes, we obviously know that it turned out to be false, but we only know that now, but before that we had EuroGamer, Eventhubs, Polygon, Kotaku, The Sun, RockPaperShotgun, and several others, all pushing the same claim, that DOA6 was toned down, and they each claimed to be quoting Mr. Shimbori.

Do you really think that it's unreasonable for people to have been worried?

In regards to Sony or Valve, you'd only have to take a look at what games were hitting a wall to see that DOA (the fighting games, at least) was nowhere near any of that stuff. Senran Kagura got smacked for having a "grope high schoolers" mode, Omega Labyrinth Z has you sexually licking some girl with a teddy bear or something. Stuff like that. None of that would even apply
There were games that weren't even mature rated games that were getting banned on steam just because of their "anime" stylization, as well as mature games which fit well within Valves guidelines, also getting banned.

But that's a whole bigger thing to get into what with the #WaifuHolocaust and stuff, but the gist is that there were several games that featured all adult characters (whom also actually look their adult age too, no that "she's a 1,000 year old elf" stuff) that were also getting inconsistently banned at random. Because DOA6 launches with Marie Rose as part of the base roster, people thought the game was going to be done for.

My point is that there were legit reasons to have been worried all this time.

I wasn't convince until I read Kayane's interview, and read her early impressions on the game, that's when I could finally relax about the content, but sadly her interview didn't get the coverage that those major gaming sites do, so there still lots of uninformed people still upset about the game.

Theres a difference between being a fan that enjoys all DOA has to offer, which is a lot, and coming onto FSD to shove a petition down our throats and troll threads to degrade them into yet another fanservice debate.

I will never feel bad for what's said to the latter. People like that are why the total DLC for 5LR is a downpayment on a car.
The problem though, is that having so much DLC is not actually a bad thing, I actually wish every fighting game could do it, each game serving as a supermarket of cool costumes and emotes and stuff.

SFV is getting there, but it would be cool if more fighting games could pump out that mass of content.

Last edited:

Ahegao Chan

The problem though, is that having so much DLC is not actually a bad thing, I actually wish every fighting game could do it, each game serving as a supermarket of cool costumes and emotes and stuff.

SFV is getting there, but it would be cool if more fighting games could pump out that mass of content.
There's a difference between unlocking costumes via online challenges and buying 10 season passes that cost over $1,000

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
There's a difference between unlocking costumes via online challenges and buying 10 season passes that cost over $1,000

What does it matter? It's all optional and has no bearing on the base gameplay. It also takes half an eternity to earn enough fight money to "buy" anything meaningful in SFV with that boneheaded "fight money" system. DOA5LR's 7 season passes were over a span of almost 3 years and were pretty consistent. And again, optional and not necessary if someone doesn't want it. Most games don't get anywhere close to the support DOA5LR got in its lifetime. Plus this support helped support DOA6 while it was in development. As for SFV, don't even get me started on how much of an abomination that game was back in 2016.

ALL CAPS CROW

Standard Donor
The ad at Evo Japan was a bad look, and they shouldn't have ran it. However, Wiz's reaction to it is laughable. It doesn't hold up to Evo's core values? How does the KOF14 tournament at Evo Japan this year discriminating against Koreans fit into your core values? How does doing business with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia who execute women's rights activists nearly daily fit into your core values?

Fuck Mr Wizard

Ahegao Chan

. As for SFV, don't even get me started on how much of an abomination that game was back in 2016.
You mean like how doa5 was back in 2012? Plus most gamers see paid dlc as a bad thing no matter if it's cosmetics or not. It's just another reason why doa got such a terrible reputation.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
You mean like how doa5 was back in 2012? Plus most gamers see paid dlc as a bad thing no matter if it's cosmetics or not. It's just another reason why doa got such a terrible reputation.

Errr... DOA5 wasn't an abomination in 2012. At least DOA5 was still a game in 2012 and not the equivalent content of a Free2Play game being charged $60+ like SFV was. There's no comparison. Also, the paid DLC didn't really affect DOA's reputation as much as you may think. DOA's reputation was already in the shitter from DOA4 & prior thanks to Itagaki's scrubbiness and DOA5 suffered from being the follow-up to that travesty.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD