Characters Why you don't play with Jann Lee?

Lulu

Which funny because the VF characters moves are harder to execute in DoA than they are in VF.

Brute

Standard Donor
Actually, the only things that make Jacky better than Lee is his mix ups, since like you said his mix up is godlike, but in everything else Lee outclasses him. speed, spacing tools, damage, you name it.
Jacky is also safer than Lee (you could argue that frame traps are part of "mix-up," but I feel like it's another point worth considering for various reasons).

Otherwise, you're spot-on.

Lulu

So whats with Jeet Kune Do's association with Dragons ?
I never quite understood that because styles like Wing Chun and Tai Chi don't have any specific association with anything..... although I wouldn't actually know if it was because I don't understand what any style specific lingo means because its all in Mandarin or some other ancient language nobody speaks anymore.

Darkslay

Jacky is also safer than Lee (you could argue that frame traps are part of "mix-up," but I feel like it's another point worth considering for various reasons).

Otherwise, you're spot-on.

Damnit, you're totally right i forgot, Lee's frame traps come down to :4::P::P: and his mix ups from :6::P: but yeah, overall Jacky is a lot safer.

So whats with Jeet Kune Do's association with Dragons ?
I never quite understood that because styles like Wing Chun and Tai Chi don't have any specific association with anything..... although I wouldn't actually know if it was because I don't understand what any style specific lingo means because its all in Mandarin or some other ancient language nobody speaks anymore.

It pretty much comes down to Bruce Lee being know as a "dragon" as well as him being the inventor of JKD.

He was born in november 27th (same as Jann Lee, and me actually lol) 1940 this year in specific was a year of the dragon according to the chinese calendar, he was also born between 5:00 AM and 8:00 AM which is known as the "hour of the dragon"

Other than that, JKD is a style of constant change and evolution, and in chinese culture, dragons are considered changing beings with no clear form, that could also be a connection to why a JKD practitioner can be called a "dragon"

Last edited by a moderator:

Lulu

Thats totally Hardcore. :)
Its nice to hear about Dragons without hearing RPG stuff along side it.
So Jeet Kune Do doesn't have specific stances right.... the style is tailored specifically to the one who uses it ? LOL, my knowledge of Martial Arts doesn't go past some really old Kung Fu flicks.
Reminds me of Russian Systema. Which is supposedly what Marie Rose uses.

Brute

Standard Donor
Yeah, and Momiji uses Aikido.

735.gif

Darkslay

Thats totally Hardcore. :)
Its nice to hear about Dragons without hearing RPG stuff along side it.
So Jeet Kune Do doesn't have specific stances right.... the style is tailored specifically to the one who uses it ? LOL, my knowledge of Martial Arts doesn't go past some really old Kung Fu flicks.

That's the magic of it, you can have a million stances or none at all, Bruce Lee created the style from many martial arts ranging from wing chun to western boxing, but he incorporated moves that would adjust to him.

"Supposedly" is the perfect word i would use to describe that statement LOL.

KING JAIMY

Slightly off-topic but I don't think Jacky necessarily has better mix-ups than Jann Lee, to be honest. Jann Lee is quite dynamic in his strings compared to Jacky.

Allow me to demonstrate this with an example.

Jann Lee has a plethora of options after 6P.
- 6P free cancel
- 6PP
- 6PK
- 6P2K
- 6P4

That's 5 options already.

Jacky has limited options after 6P.

- 6P free cancel
- 6PP
- 6PK

Both strikes after 6P are high strikes so they can be held on reaction. Technically that leaves two options for Jacky (free cancel and high strike).

Another example:

Jann Lee has more options after 3K than Jacky.

Jann Lee has:
- 3K free cancel
- 3KK
- 3KP
- 3K4K

Jacky has:
- 3K free cancel
- 3KP

Again, we see that Jacky's string is static because his only option is a high strike which can be held on reaction. Jann Lee forces his opponent to make a guess in the stun because he has access to a follow-up mid kick, mid punch and high kick.

Of course I realize that Jacky has more options than Jann Lee when you talk about other moves (such as 4P and follow-ups), but overall Jann Lee is a lot more dynamic than Jacky.

Darkslay

Slightly off-topic but I don't think Jacky necessarily has better mix-ups than Jann Lee, to be honest. Jann Lee is quite dynamic in his strings compared to Jacky.

Allow me to demonstrate this with an example.

Jann Lee has a plethora of options after 6P.
- 6P free cancel
- 6PP
- 6PK
- 6P2K
- 6P4

That's 5 options already.

Jacky has limited options after 6P.

- 6P free cancel
- 6PP
- 6PK

Both strikes after 6P are high strikes so they can be held on reaction. Technically that leaves two options for Jacky (free cancel and high strike).

Another example:

Jann Lee has more options after 3K than Jacky.

Jann Lee has:
- 3K free cancel
- 3KK
- 3KP
- 3K4K

Jacky has:
- 3K free cancel
- 3KP

Again, we see that Jacky's string is static because his only option is a high strike which can be held on reaction. Jann Lee forces his opponent to make a guess in the stun because he has access to a follow-up mid kick, mid punch and high kick.

Of course I realize that Jacky has more options than Jann Lee when you talk about other moves (such as 4P and follow-ups), but overall Jann Lee is a lot more dynamic than Jacky.

This is going to be long but hey, i'm the Jann Lee representative for a reason lol.

All the options from 6P (Lee) you mentioned are unsafe on block, yes, if you free cancel 6P its -12, except for 6PK.

Jacky's 6P and 6PP are only punishable with neutral throws, only 6PK is unsafe.

In stun both these options showcase their actually mix up potential since they can free cancel them, on this department Jacky clearly wins.

Same thing for 3K (Lee) only 3K4K is safe on block.

Jacky's 3K is a safe poke that, again, can only be neutral thrown, while 3KP is unsafe.

Again Jacky clearly wins here since Lee has to either sacrifice damage or cause a heavy knockdown to start his spacing game, Jacky on the other hand can free cancel and keep the stun going from pretty much anywhere. Again this is in stun, you have absolutely no reason to low block against Jann Lee in a blocking situation because there's no low in his strings, and if he takes the risk of doing a followup you just have to wait and punish.

Lulu

LoL.... I don't even know what Aikido is.
luckily this isn't an issue as far as the Ninjas are concerned... they all use differen't versions of "Ninja Style".

KING JAIMY

This is going to be long but hey, i'm the Jann Lee representative for a reason lol.

All the options from 6P (Lee) you mentioned are unsafe on block, yes, if you free cancel 6P its -12, except for 6PK.

Jacky's 6P and 6PP are only punishable with neutral throws, only 6PK is unsafe.

In stun both these options showcase their actually mix up potential since they can free cancel them, on this department Jacky clearly wins.

Same thing for 3K (Lee) only 3K4K is safe on block.

Jacky's 3K is a safe poke that, again, can only be neutral thrown, while 3KP is unsafe.

Again Jacky clearly wins here since Lee has to either sacrifice damage or cause a heavy knockdown to start his spacing game, Jacky on the other hand can free cancel and keep the stun going from pretty much anywhere. Again this is in stun, you have absolutely no reason to low block against Jann Lee in a blocking situation because there's no low in his strings, and if he takes the risk of doing a followup you just have to wait and punish.
I was actually talking about when the initial move hits, and not the move on block. I know Jacky is way safer than Jann Lee, for sure. Rather, I was talking about actual mix-ups in strings in stun. Jacky has static strings, Jann Lee has dynamic strings.

E.g. You should never do any of Jacky's follow-ups after 6P in stun since a lot of seasoned players hold the next high strike on reaction. It's better to free cancel the 6P and punish the hold or continue with another strike.

LoL.... I don't even know what Aikido is.
luckily this isn't an issue as far as the Ninjas are concerned... they all use differen't versions of "Ninja Style".
Aikido is the fighting style Momiji is supposed to have, combined with Hayabusa Style Ninjutsu. Emphasis on ''supposed'' here, since almost none of Momiji's moves reflect the Aikido fighting style. Her 41236T however, is a representative example of an Aikido throw.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brute

Standard Donor
Aikido is the fighting style Momiji is supposed to have, combined with Hayabusa Style Ninjutsu. Emphasis on ''supposed'' here, since almost none of Momiji's moves reflect the Aikido fighting style. Her 41236T however, is a representative example of an Aikido throw.
I think now in 5LR she got an expert mid P hold that's Aikido-like, too.

But yeah, she just has stolen ninja moves for the most part.

Darkslay

I was actually talking about when the initial move hits, and not the move on block. I know Jacky is way safer than Jann Lee, for sure. Rather, I was talking about actual mix-ups in strings in stun. Jacky has static strings, Jann Lee has dynamic strings.

E.g. You should never do any of Jacky's follow-ups after 6P in stun since a lot of seasoned players hold the next high strike on reaction. It's better to free cancel the 6P and punish the hold or continue with another strike.

I also covered that thought in my post, basically, in stun if you free cancel with either character, Jacky has more options to continue the stun, while Lee's become mostly 50-50s.

KING JAIMY

I also covered that thought in my post, basically, in stun if you free cancel with either character, Jacky has more options to continue the stun, while Lee's become mostly 50-50s.
Agreed. Jacky is definitely better than Jann Lee when it comes to free cancelling.

Momiji has an Expert Hold ? What does it do ?
I know this is going off-topic but since you asked, why not answer it.

Can't really explain the animation of the hold but it does give you more damage compared to the regular mid punch hold so it makes the regular one redundant - damage-wise, at least.

Darkslay

Agreed. Jacky is definitely better than Jann Lee when it comes to free cancelling.

Can't really explain the animation of the hold but it does give you more damage compared to the regular mid punch hold so it makes the regular one redundant - damage-wise, at least.

Funny all of these subjects would be touched upon in a "why do you hate JL" thread LOL.

Hope the mods don't get mad at us XD.

Lulu

I'm just shocked because I temped her for a while and don't remember an advanced mid punch hold.....
Advanced Mid holds stand out to me because I find them easier to input. But if all it did was damage then that might explain why I forgot it.

KING JAIMY

Funny all of these subjects would be touched upon in a "why do you hate JL" thread LOL.

Hope the mods don't get mad at us XD.
Ssshh... don't tell Brute! He was here just a few minutes ago.

Anyway, back on-topic. I can't come up with a single thing which makes me hate Jann Lee. His ''monkey-like'' voice on some of his attacks is actually pretty funny, although I wish he just had his plain old DOA2 voice. The only thing I can get irritated about is when online Jann Lee's abuse his Dragon Gunner in a <1> connection. >_<

Lulu

On a seperate note.... am I the only one who doesn't free cancel ?
Don't get me wrong I don't use completed strings....I just wait the moves out instead of Tapping H to free cancel them...... the stuns are pretty long and stagger escaping lightning fast is exhausting.... so I figured I'm safe anyway.

Sorry to go off topic.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD